Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's hard to tell what GRRM was going for with Quentyn

because he's not done yet and Quentyn's gonna show up in the next book minus one arm but riding a dragon :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Lycus posted:

They seem to be foreshadowing Brienne having a confrontation with Stannis.

GaussianCopula posted:

She says at least once per episode "I want to kill Stannis". It's all very subtile.

Is this really foreshadowing though? Arya said she was going to kill Joffrey. Hell, Brienne saying she wants to kill Stannis says to me that that won't happen because they'll want to do a twist. It's like how Melisandre says Stannis is Azor Ahai, which is one of the reasons we know he isn't.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Quentyn would have probably worked better in the show than in the books.

Whatever point GRRM was trying to make with Quentyn, creating a new character, devoting multiple POV chapters to him, and then just having him fail completely and be burned to death is a really dumb way of going about it.

You could also argue that more doesn't mean better. A story with more depth isn't necessarily a better story, because in order to have more depth, more content, more characters, etc. the risk of a disjointed and meandering story increases (which is what happens in the last two books).

You could also say that what works on the page doesn't work on the screen. Even if you liked ADWD, can you actually imagine ADWD adapted as a 10-episode season of a tv show? Properly?

I don't get all this Quentyn hate. Yes he failed his quest, so what? He serves multiple purposes. Not only does he allow Dany to make the choice between Mereen and Westeros, demonstrate that Dany puts her pleasures above strategy and sets the dragons free to participate in the Battle of Mereen but his failure also allows Doran to to go all-in on Aegon and thereby give Aegon a pretty decent powerbase in Westeros.

BreakAtmo posted:

Is this really foreshadowing though? Arya said she was going to kill Joffrey. Hell, Brienne saying she wants to kill Stannis says to me that that won't happen because they'll want to do a twist. It's like how Melisandre says Stannis is Azor Ahai, which is one of the reasons we know he isn't.

Will she kill Stannis? Probably not, as this would be a major, major departure from the books and whatever happens to Stannis there. But it makes it 100% certain that they will have some kind of confrontation. My guess is that she will be in some kind of Asha role after Sansa was rescued from Winterfell and Stannis prepares for the battle. (as seen in the preview chapter for WoW)

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 3, 2015

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I actually forgot all about this character until this post.

after my first read through I thought he was a Greyjoy because the only thing I could remember about his character was "wants dragons/dany" and I guess I got him confused with Euron or something?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't get all this Quentyn hate. Yes he failed his quest, so what? He serves multiple purposes. Not only does he allow Dany to make the choice between Mereen and Westeros, demonstrate that Dany puts her pleasures above strategy and sets the dragons free to participate in the Battle of Mereen but his failure also allows Doran to to go all-in on Aegon and thereby give Aegon a pretty decent powerbase in Westeros.

None of these purposes justify making Quentyn a POV character and dedicating multiple chapters to him. Y'know, the bloat people talked about earlier. He is a new character who barely manages to cross paths with another character before he dies.

This is the bloat people talked about earlier.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

None of these purposes justify making Quentyn a POV character and dedicating multiple chapters to him. Y'know, the bloat people talked about earlier. He is a new character who barely manages to cross paths with another character before he dies.

This is the bloat people talked about earlier.

First of all he has only three chapters which each contains important information. The first one outlines his quest and Doran Martell's plan going forward, the second illustrates very clearly the lack of loyalty a sellsword has, an update on the campaign against Astapor and Mereen and identifies the source for the spread of the bloody flux that is going to haunt Mereen. The third of course is the one where he releases the dragons.

This "bloat" is what makes ASOIAF differnt from other fantasy novels, as GRRM dedicates a lot more time to worldbuilding and events that would be unnecessary if he only wanted to tell the "main story" of an Ice Elf invasion that gets defeated by super arians with dragons.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

First of all he has only three chapters which each contains important information. The first one outlines his quest and Doran Martell's plan going forward, the second illustrates very clearly the lack of loyalty a sellsword has, an update on the campaign against Astapor and Mereen and identifies the source for the spread of the bloody flux that is going to haunt Mereen. The third of course is the one where he releases the dragons.

This "bloat" is what makes ASOIAF differnt from other fantasy novels, as GRRM dedicates a lot more time to worldbuilding and events that would be unnecessary if he only wanted to tell the "main story" of an Ice Elf invasion that gets defeated by super arians with dragons.
We learn what his mission is in the Arianne chapter of AFFC, Brown Ben Plumm demonstrates the lack of loyalty that sellswords have, the updates on the Astapor/Meereen campaign can happen from other sources in Dany's chapters like how Robb's campaign in ACOK is reported from other characters to Catelyn etc, same thing can be done with the bloody flux, and freeing the dragons can work as it did in the Barristan chapters, where he hears about it after capturing Hizdahr and then sees Quentyn's burned body.

Quentyn is a character that does need to exist, but the only reason I can think of that he needed to be a POV is if the Tattered Prince is going to be an important character in the future and needed to actually appear in ADWD.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

There is no justification for Quentyn. He is just absolutely horrible in every way.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Doran's plan could have been shown more effectively or efficiently in someone else's POV, the lack of loyalty of a sellsword is not really important new information, the Astapor and Mereen stuff could have been shown more effectively or efficiently in someone else's POV.... We could go on and on. Not only could all of this 'important' information have been presented elsewhere, but Quentyn is not an interesting character. And neither is anyone he interacts with. I mean, Sansa's chapters convey plenty of important things, but no one actually liked her as a character. Purpose is not the same as execution.

We could also go even further, and ask why this information needs to be conveyed, or rather, why it's information. Why does bloody flux need to haunt Mereen? Why does Doran Martell need to have this elaborate plan? Why is this in the story? Does it add more than it subtracts? I wouldn't typically think that about a book, but we're talking about a book adapted into a show, and we're discussing why the show is removing things.

quote:

This isn't true at all. If you look at the first three books, they're very well executed. There's a logic to most of it, the POV characters are very interesting people who are taking action, and/or interacting with interesting people who are taking action. We are able to get to know both the POV characters as well as the people who are not POV characters, since we see them through POV eyes. There's many POV characters but plenty of time is dedicated to them.

The bloat starts in the last two books because they're not as well thought out. You start having more and more POV characters, but now many of them aren't very interesting, nor are the people who they are interacting with very interesting, their plots are increasingly disconnected from the other plots. And then we don't even spend that much time on them individually, but way too much time on them collectively.

There's nothing mysterious or controversial about this, anyway. It's well known that GRRM had problems writing these books, that he wasn't sure how to make many things work, how to convey certain information, etc. What people are saying is: hey, maybe he wasn't actually able to solve these problems.

ASOIAF is not successful because of worldbuilding, it's successful because it had a good balance of worldbuilding, action and character-driven plot, and themes. The last two books gently caress this balance up, which is why they're not as good.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 3, 2015

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Whatever point GRRM was trying to make with Quentyn, creating a new character, devoting multiple POV chapters to him, and then just having him fail completely and be burned to death is a really dumb way of going about it.

Replace burned to death with crushed to death and you have Oberyn, right? I mean, if Oberyn wasn't supposed to be a mystery he would have had POV chapters.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Oberyn would have probably been a more interesting POV character, because he was an interesting character.

The POV characters are an easy way of seeing how these books have become more bloated and ill-thought out. How many POV characters did it take to introduce Stannis Baratheon and tell that whole story? One very well-written prologue POV, and then Davos. That's it. Efficient, economic storytelling. You use the first chapter as an exposition dump, and then set up three characters, with Stannis being the focus of the two others (Davos and Melisandre).*

How many POV characters did Dorne have in AFFC and ADWD? Four. Areo, Arianne, Arys, and Quentyn. But there's only like what, 8-10 chapters total, and two of those people are dead. We don't actually spend more than a couple of chapters in two books with any of these new people. Seriously? You couldn't maybe have one Dorne POV character, and introduce the rest of the plot through this character? Plot things in such a way that you don't "need" all these additional perspectives? Any decent editor would have said "umm, just do Arianne chapters".

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 3, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

In It For The Tank posted:

I'm amazed they resisted the temptation to make a reference to Talisa.

Pretty sure talisa stuff is being de-emphasised or cut, as they skipped the major revelation scene from Jaime last season while Tyrion was in jail, in favour of *beetles*.

Won't make any sense now, there's just Shea references.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

That bloat is a pillar of the genre since Tolkien sat down and invented an elvish language. But even JRR had the sense to put th Silmarillion apart from the rest, GRR seems to want to sprinkle it in in ever increasing portions as the series goes on.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

That bloat is a pillar of the genre since Tolkien sat down and invented an elvish language. But even JRR had the sense to put th Silmarillion apart from the rest, GRR seems to want to sprinkle it in in ever increasing portions as the series goes on.

debatable, JRR had plenty of that poo poo in the main trilogy. Tom Bombadil, tons of loving singing, etc

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

this_is_hard posted:

debatable, JRR had plenty of that poo poo in the main trilogy. Tom Bombadil, tons of loving singing, etc

The Two Towers is even structured just like AFFC/ADWD are (divided based on geographical rather than chronological order).

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

wooger posted:

Pretty sure talisa stuff is being de-emphasised or cut, as they skipped the major revelation scene from Jaime last season while Tyrion was in jail, in favour of *beetles*.

Won't make any sense now, there's just Shea references.

You're thinking of Tysha. Talisa was Robb's show-only noble Volantene wife who was murdered with zero ramifications to the larger story because she was a terrible character who didn't fit the setting at all. If she was a Maegyr, one of the most powerful families in Volantis, you'd think there'd be a reaction from her death. It wasn't a secret that she was the wife of the King in the North, and the Freys weren't exactly subtle about what they did (RobbWind paraded aboud, Sansa knew Catelyn was stripped naked and thrown into a river).

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I still don't get why they didn't just go with Jeyne Westerling. It would have worked fine.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Why did they swap Jeyne for Talisa anyway? I assume there was some reason. It certainly makes Robb even dumber than he is in the books, since he gains literally nothing from marrying Talisa, whereas with Jeyne he at least gets a few knights, soldiers, and a castle.....and she isn't some foreigner. Is it because Jeyne is alive in the books and might feature more later, and they wanted to kill Robb's wife at the wedding or what?

VVVV Why would they need to include her backstory?

edit 2: I don't think it was a dumb change necessarily, I just wondered about the reasoning, I assume there is one.

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 3, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mortabis posted:

I still don't get why they didn't just go with Jeyne Westerling. It would have worked fine.

There's no reason to use that specific character if you're not going to include her backstory and her backstory is bad and dumb.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Why did they swap Jeyne for Talisa anyway? I assume there was some reason. It certainly makes Robb even dumber than he is in the books, since he gains literally nothing from marrying Talisa, whereas with Jeyne he at least gets a few knights, soldiers, and a castle.....and she isn't some foreigner. Is it because Jeyne is alive in the books and might feature more later, and they wanted to kill Robb's wife at the wedding or what?

edit 2: I don't think it was a dumb change necessarily, I just wondered about the reasoning, I assume there is one.

The story of a noble man falling in love with "lowly" but mysterious woman setting aside his betrothed is probably easier for show watchers to understand. Added to that the show wanted to make it a longer love story pre-wedding and give her a more empowered character compared to Jeyne who is more an example of the traditional woman role. An important factor was probably the fact that people liked "new Shae" in season 1 and so they decided to make this change.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the change, because in the books Robb is motivated by honor to wed her, showing the same weakness as his father. In the show it's for love, which is pretty outrageous for a son of Eddard Stark, who did not marry the woman he loved.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

GaussianCopula posted:

The story of a noble man falling in love with "lowly" but mysterious woman setting aside his betrothed is probably easier for show watchers to understand. Added to that the show wanted to make it a longer love story pre-wedding and give her a more empowered character compared to Jeyne who is more an example of the traditional woman role. An important factor was probably the fact that people liked "new Shae" in season 1 and so they decided to make this change.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the change, because in the books Robb is motivated by honor to wed her, showing the same weakness as his father. In the show it's for love, which is pretty outrageous for a son of Eddard Stark, who did not marry the woman he loved.

I too make the exact same life decisions as my parents did.

In any case, the way the show did it showcases that either choice of keeping your word until the bitter end or following your heart will get you killed. Even in a world with magic there are no tricks, everyone dies and it won't even be a good death. Because the world is cruel.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's heavily suggested that Jeyne Westerling's mother was manipulating the situation with Jeyne and Robb, causing Robb to break his pact with the Freys, in order to get favor with Tywin Lannister. That whole conspiracy is just absent from the show.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Well, the contrast in the show is between marrying someone for political gain (someone you don't even know), and living your own life and marrying for love. So if he gained something from it, it would take away from that point.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Remember, at that point, they were still touchy about making changes, and Martin was throwing tantrums about killing such important characters as some Dothraki whose name I can't recall. It's possible this factored in.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

It's heavily suggested that Jeyne Westerling's mother was manipulating the situation with Jeyne and Robb, causing Robb to break his pact with the Freys, in order to get favor with Tywin Lannister. That whole conspiracy is just absent from the show.

Well that's just not true at all.

edit: Brienne got more chapters in AFFC than Dorne or Greyjoy bros have had lumped together. Anyone who wants to point fingers Hotah's single chapter per book as a sign of bloat is a nutter.

kater fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 3, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If we got both tons of bloat/"Worldbuilding" and a completed story, I think people would be a lot more forgiving about the bloat. Instead each book takes exponentially longer because GRRM feels the need to increase the character count exponentially.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

meristem posted:

Remember, at that point, they were still touchy about making changes, and Martin was throwing tantrums about killing such important characters as some Dothraki whose name I can't recall. It's possible this factored in.

Normally, I'd say that considering its his books they are adapting, he may have something planned for the character. But then again, both these characters have not been mentionned in how many books? And are any of Dany's Dothraki still alive anyways? They feel pretty drat irrelevent by now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dalael posted:

And are any of Dany's Dothraki still alive anyways? They feel pretty drat irrelevent by now.

They're alive, they're just occasionally-seen extras. They were doing prisoner transport in episode 2.

They possibly should have kept that dude with some lines from S2 on the recurring cast.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 3, 2015

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Dalael posted:

Normally, I'd say that considering its his books they are adapting, he may have something planned for the character. But then again, both these characters have not been mentionned in how many books? And are any of Dany's Dothraki still alive anyways? They feel pretty drat irrelevent by now.
Mark my words, Dany spends the first half of TWOW solving the differences between the 'faithful' Dothraki (those that had followed her to Qarth) and the 'betrayers'. There is a lot of 'worldbuilding' and exotic customs. While the reader yawns.

The comparison to Silmarillion someone posted upthread is entirely apt.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

meristem posted:

Mark my words, Dany spends the first half of TWOW solving the differences between the 'faithful' Dothraki (those that had followed her to Qarth) and the 'betrayers'. There is a lot of 'worldbuilding' and exotic customs. While the reader yawns.

The comparison to Silmarillion someone posted upthread is entirely apt.

the Silmarillion wasn't even so much 'worldbuilding' as it was like...a history book. IT was definitely closer to AWoIAF than it was to the RIverlands chapters from AFFC/ADWD

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dalael posted:

Normally, I'd say that considering its his books they are adapting, he may have something planned for the character. But then again, both these characters have not been mentionned in how many books?

One of them leads the group that Dany found at the end of Book 5.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kater posted:

Well that's just not true at all.

edit: Brienne got more chapters in AFFC than Dorne or Greyjoy bros have had lumped together. Anyone who wants to point fingers Hotah's single chapter per book as a sign of bloat is a nutter.

There were those red herrings about Talisa writing to her mother but none of it was ever substantiated. I doubt we will ever hear anything about the Maegyr family or whatever they were called.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Another week to go before an episode that wasn't leaked, huh?

At least we'll have something new to chew on. It'll help that we'll be mid-season and most of the setup will be done.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

computer parts posted:

There's no reason to use that specific character if you're not going to include her backstory and her backstory is bad and dumb.

Not as bad or dumb as Talisa's.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mortabis posted:

Hers has the benefit of being simple.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

computer parts posted:

Hers has the benefit of being simple.

Simpler, maybe, but once you think about it for more than 5 seconds it starts to fall apart, as mentioned before.

Plus the whole Talisa storyline makes Robb look much, much stupider than Jeyne Westerling's did.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mortabis posted:

Talisa's back story is modern and cliche, it lured unsuspected viewers to invest in these characters mahahaa.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FourLeaf posted:

Plus the whole Talisa storyline makes Robb look much, much stupider than Jeyne Westerling's did.

No, they both make him look like idiots. The former doesn't make Tywin look so :master:-y though.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
You'd think the TV north wouldn't be big fans of House Stark these days. Robb basically got loads of their men killed by breaking his vow to marry the Frey. I doubt they'd see it as romantic and more like a nobleman only thinking about himself drat the consequences. Shouldn't the North remember that poo poo?

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

therobotking posted:

You'd think the TV north wouldn't be big fans of House Stark these days. Robb basically got loads of their men killed by breaking his vow to marry the Frey. I doubt they'd see it as romantic and more like a nobleman only thinking about himself drat the consequences. Shouldn't the North remember that poo poo?

Yes, but on the other hands the Starks didn't flay people over tax collection. And it was the Boltons who did a lot of the killing.

• Locked thread