Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

FoolyCharged posted:

I like the new stretch goals, they're dumb fun little things that don't seem to require changing the game much if at all. Because with how much money they're raking in, feature bloat from stretch goals is a definite risk.

A good manager can reign the team in and invest the remaining money into future projects. Still, that is a possible risk when the funding was such an unexpected success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

FoolyCharged posted:

I like the new stretch goals, they're dumb fun little things that don't seem to require changing the game much if at all. Because with how much money they're raking in, feature bloat from stretch goals is a definite risk.

That's what I first thought when I read the new goals. I mean, you don't need 200K to produce a rap and make some videos (I don't know how much work the N64 shader will be), but I'd prefer them focusing on what they've already planned for with lots of extra money, rather than trying to vastly expand the game due to the money. But there's still over a month of funding to go. More goals could still pop up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I imagine they're keeping the big stretch goals like new worlds for later, yeah.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Not all the money for a stretch goal goes into the actual stretch goal. A lot of it goes into just improving the game all-around

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Augus posted:

Not all the money for a stretch goal goes into the actual stretch goal. A lot of it goes into just improving the game all-around

If more Kickstarters/other crowd-funding type deals were run this way they'd overall have a better rep.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I'd definitely prefer to see a really well crafted Yooka-Laylee come out in October 2016 than it be pushed back because they have to meet all the stretch goals

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I don't know. Depending on the stretch goal I wouldn't mind a bit more waiting. (I know a lot of people on the kickstarter itself are hoping for a online multiplayer stretch goal. Which might be the hardest thing for them to implement.)

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I remember a few times with the MN9 kickstarter the main guy basically had to price out what the next feature would cost before even offering it as a reward.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Major_JF posted:

I remember a few times with the MN9 kickstarter the main guy basically had to price out what the next feature would cost before even offering it as a reward.

Ideally all kickstarters would do this because it sounds like it's just good sense, a bunch of the kickstarters that I've seen piss out and die after making funding basically just said "if we make this goal we can totally add real-time floral growth and arranging" without considering how much it's going to cost and how hard it's going to be to add to what they're already doing.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Augus posted:

Yeah, if one of them is developer commentary - which would be great, by the way - that would take more time than money to do.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Welp, we need new stretch goals already.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
For posterity, here's a big timeline that someone on Reddit put together of all the rumours and hints about a possible upcoming Banjo-Kazooie game on Xbox One:

http://www.reddit.com/r/BanjoKazooie/comments/34o1bc/a_complete_timeline_of_rumors_surrounding_the/

Grain of salt, etc.

Honestly I'd rather not buy an Xbox One. I was planning to get a PS4 this generation, because of Uncharted (hoping for a trilogy remaster, aw yeah)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 3, 2015

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
All we've really seen so far is the Kinekt thing... but given how quickly Yooka-Laylee has raised money, someone at Microsoft might take notice and pretend they were planning one all along.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They'll announce it for the hololens without warning the developers and at that point the entire studio will shoot themselves.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yooka-Laylee update - Orchestral Score at 1.5 mil! Awesome.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Mehuyael posted:

Yooka-Laylee update - Orchestral Score at 1.5 mil! Awesome.

And of course everyone is bitching about how an Orchestral Score would literally ruin the game. Saw a few people say they'd remove their backing if they reached the stretch goal, which is just so dumb. A more reasonable idea was that a lot of people were asking for a "classic" score and an "orchestral" score option to switch between, which would be kind of neat.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

To me it just comes down to having faith that the composer isn't going to fall into the george lucas trap of 'well I guess I have no limits now!' They just need to recognize when a simple track is good and when an orchestral track is good. it's not hard. People are just panicky.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Grant Kirkhope already did orchestral music, I'm not sure about David Wise but I'm pretty sure he'll pull it off (because he's David freakin Wise).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't see how anyone could think that Grant Kirkhope and David Wise might accidentally gently caress up the soundtrack by using live instruments. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Augus posted:

I don't see how anyone could think that Grant Kirkhope and David Wise might accidentally gently caress up the soundtrack by using live instruments. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Kickstarter backers sometimes immediately turn on the product over utterly trivial poo poo. Sort of like when Mighty No. 9's backers had that weird issue accusing one of the forum moderators of undermining the project. I guess it's a way of tamping down expectations now that you're financially invested in the product, immediately becoming hyper-critical so you're not disappointed if it turns into a fiasco.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Man I feel bad for Grant Kirkhope, he went from posting this:

quote:

Blimey! I wake up this morning to the possibility of a full orchestral score for #YookaLaylee ..... Can't believe it!
to posting this

quote:

I'm hoping you'll just trust me to do the right thing, it means as much to me as it does to all of you .... #YookaLaylee

Jerks making Grant sad :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Precambrian posted:

Kickstarter backers sometimes immediately turn on the product over utterly trivial poo poo. Sort of like when Mighty No. 9's backers had that weird issue accusing one of the forum moderators of undermining the project. I guess it's a way of tamping down expectations now that you're financially invested in the product, immediately becoming hyper-critical so you're not disappointed if it turns into a fiasco.

Just look at Starbound. Once nerds think they own some part of game construction they turn into the shittiest pseudo-bosses ever. Demanding to know where every cent is going, snidely demanding to know what they're doing with all their hard earned money if they read about them doing something besides sitting in a sensory deprivation cube coding.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Reading kickstarter comments, some people seem to want the ability to switch between Midi and orchestral :psyduck: do they not realize how much extra work that would be?

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

A more reasonable idea was that a lot of people were asking for a "classic" score and an "orchestral" score option to switch between, which would be kind of neat.

I think it's actually less reasonable, considering it's basically asking them to do two soundtracks.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 3, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Kurtofan posted:

Reading kickstarter comments, some people seem to want the ability to switch between Midi and orchestral :psyduck: do they not realize how much extra work that would be?

RareAcumen posted:

Just look at Starbound. Once nerds think they own some part of game construction they turn into the shittiest pseudo-bosses ever. Demanding to know where every cent is going, snidely demanding to know what they're doing with all their hard earned money if they read about them doing something besides sitting in a sensory deprivation cube coding.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Kurtofan posted:

I think it's actually less reasonable, considering it's basically asking them to do two soundtracks.

Well I was looking at it from the perspective that they would be doing the tracks the way they have been first, and then going back to do them with real instruments, but I suppose if they didn't do a first pass on the tracks with midi and just did it all live, then sure, it would definitely be more work.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Precambrian posted:

Luckily that kinda blew over...by it turning out Mighty No 9 really isn't anything fantastic at all.

:(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Not my art, but amazing:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Justin_Brett posted:

Luckily that kinda blew over...by it turning out Mighty No 9 really isn't anything fantastic at all.

:(

There was sure a lot of hype around it, but when it comes right down to it, it was always going to be nothing more than a Mega Man game with a shiny new coat of paint. Nothing wrong with that if you like Mega Man, since Capcom certainly isn't going to make any more of them, but the level of heightened expectations that cropped up from it got ridiculously out of hand.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I thought the hype was because people wanted a new Mega Man game. I didn't think anybody expected anything different, but I guess when hype's involved, judgement gets clouded.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

KieranWalker posted:

There was sure a lot of hype around it, but when it comes right down to it, it was always going to be nothing more than a Mega Man game with a shiny new coat of paint. Nothing wrong with that if you like Mega Man, since Capcom certainly isn't going to make any more of them, but the level of heightened expectations that cropped up from it got ridiculously out of hand.

On the one hand, it's a Inti Creates megaman game. On the other hand, I'm worried that it will lean too much on Megaman 2 like MM9 and 10 did, and not enough on MMZ and ZX which is where Inti Creates was really able to shine.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Kurieg posted:

On the one hand, it's a Inti Creates megaman game. On the other hand, I'm worried that it will lean too much on Megaman 2 like MM9 and 10 did, and not enough on MMZ and ZX which is where Inti Creates was really able to shine.

I'm more worried that it's leaning too much on Megaman 1, myself. For whatever reason, Inafune decided that spikes killing you through post-hit invincibility was a good idea that needed to come back. :psyduck:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

KieranWalker posted:

From what I've heard it seems like the game is kind of uninspired, even taking into account it was always gonna be I Can't Believe It's Not Mega Man.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I always knew I was basically funding Mega Man 11 so as long as it's remotely fun I don't care if it's inspired or not.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Kurieg posted:

Well the problem there is that they already made a Not!MMZ/ZX game via kickstarter, it's called Azure Striker Gunvolt? It literally even has character designs by the same guy...or at least heavily inspired by it if it isn't him.

Honestly I don't care if Kickstarter is just churning out creator redos of games that a company has a strangle hold on. I always expected MN9 to just be Megaman, I expected Gunvolt to be Guns only MMZ with abilities to balance how poo poo an idea that, I expected Shovel Knight to be Castlevania with Ducktales pogos, and I expect Yooka Laylee to just be a Banjo Kazooie game.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Honestly I'm just excited to see another exploration type game that looks like it plays uniquely and not a GrandTheftAuto-Like. It also just seems genuinely fun as they are trying to capture the way games were made back then but with the knowledge and standards of today. I hope it starts a trend of going with the n64/play station era as I think I'm burnt out on Nes sprite video games with Shovel Knight being the last for me.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Houle posted:

Honestly I'm just excited to see another exploration type game that looks like it plays uniquely and not a GrandTheftAuto-Like. It also just seems genuinely fun as they are trying to capture the way games were made back then but with the knowledge and standards of today. I hope it starts a trend of going with the n64/play station era as I think I'm burnt out on Nes sprite video games with Shovel Knight being the last for me.

Nostalgia is a really good way to get money out of nerds, and a really bad way to make something that's good in its own right. Trying to sell things on nostalgia for a time when you usually had to convince yourself that having your tender bits stomped on was what fun was even less so; I didn't own an NES as a kid but I played some of the games as an adult and a lot of them are just legit Not Fun, they do a lot of stuff that gets called out as bad design in modern games but for some reason they get a pass because people grew up with them. Shovel Knight at least sets itself apart by being legit good and fun in its own right.

Yooka-Laylee is still kind of selling itself on nostalgia but at the very least it's selling itself on nostalgia for something that was actually good, and they're planning to do something more than just blindly recreate it.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
Update!

We're almost done! Today's video sees us finishing off the Jiggoseum and completing the second to last act of Terrarium! The finishing line is in sight!

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 15: Jiggoseum Act 6 & Terrarium of Terror Act 4 [YouTube]/[Polsy]

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
100% LP of Yooka-Laylee? :toot:

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
as a former fat person, I could not only eat one of those giant movie theatre tubs of popcorn by myself, I would have the empty tub refilled on the way out.

Gotta get that value, yo.

I never thought that was weird when I was fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'll eat a fuckton of popcorn for a snack any day, it's a great calorie light way to munch on something for a while.
Of course that's assuming you pop it yourself and don't smother it in molten butter/artificial flavoring.

One thing that I did find interesting about the Jiggoseum is that while the map is dull as all hell, It's got some of the most challenge variety of any world, with stuff like the darts, knocking the dominoes down, avoiding the dominoes, and inverted controls. I mean most of it falls flat, but it's there.

• Locked thread