Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fish's finest moment was last night, however, when she was walking through her prisoners, telling them what she was going to do to them, but telling Bullock "We're good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
What was the point of Fish being shot in the helicopter?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TLG James posted:

What was the point of Fish ... ?

Who knows??

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
To make you hope she would bleed out while flying over the ocean and crash and burn

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, that Dollmaker subplot could have been completely excised from the season and everything would have played out exactly the same. The entire thing could have easily just been "Fish leaves town for a couple of months, comes back during gang war."

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

TLG James posted:

What was the point of Fish being shot in the helicopter?

We honestly thought we had missed an episode because of how disjointed things were between the last time we saw Fish and her showing up with Selina last night. After the finale ended, I checked all the episode descriptions, but there wasn't anything else in between about Fish.

:iiam:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Sith Happens posted:

We honestly thought we had missed an episode because of how disjointed things were between the last time we saw Fish and her showing up with Selina last night. After the finale ended, I checked all the episode descriptions, but there wasn't anything else in between about Fish.

:iiam:

Well she meets Selina while she's warming her hands like a hobo at the beginning of the episode. And she came in on a boat for some reason.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm ninety percent sure there's a lot of cut footage involving Fish and Cat, that should have appeared in episodes 20 and 21. Hell, the cold open this week felt like it should have been the final scene from 20, followed by the two characters bonding in 21. Probably would explain why we got two separate cold-opens this week.

I largely liked Gotham, and thought that Fish and Jada Pinket-Smith were superb. The season did suffer massively from artificial enlongation, though. The only noteworthy events to happen between episode 14 and 22 were the stuff with Barbara, lil Wayne and Commissioner Loeb. Several of the characters get repetitive plots (Gordon owes Penguin a favour, Riddler takes out one of Kris Kringle's boyfriends, ect.) Everything else could have come straight out of the status quo from earlier. That said, I quite liked episodes 17 and 18.

There's a good season buried somewhere in this show, but it involves trimming at least four episodes of content. I think the next season won't be hamstrung by having to artificially lengthen the show at the last moment, and will produce more material to my taste. Probably not to many other Goons, but I personally enjoy how entirely silly this show is. Stuff like Barbara the psychopath, or Loeb running around denying being in the pocket of thugs while standing right next to them, or Morenna Baccarin getting inappropriately excited and regressing to playing Famous Five, is right up my alley.

And the show is impeccably cast, with actors giving impressive, quirky performances, even in small, bit-part roles (I think Erin Richards has gotten a lot of undeserved hate, she was excellent in Being Human and Misfits, and the character she's playing here is all over the place, but she's not). Frankly, the ensemble cast is one of the best going around right now, and is stronger than several other more popular shows I could name. (Okay, I'm mostly thinking of the Flash). No weak links, many impressive ones.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wow, Jada Pinkett-Smith's décolletage was...distracting this episode.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Finally, Barbara becomes interesting. loving finally.
Now I'll wait and see if that goes anywhere further in season 2.

Sith Happens posted:

We honestly thought we had missed an episode because of how disjointed things were between the last time we saw Fish and her showing up with Selina last night.
I had to check on that too. Last time we see fish she's leaving in a Helicopter, and gets shot. Now she's suddenly back, no apparent injuries, entering the city through the mist on a rowboat (Mortal Kombaaaat!), and immediately adopts a Beyond Thunderdome punk look. Selina's main character trait is that she's so totally independent, yet suddenly she's down for being Fish's lackey and apparently happy to kill the one cop she gets along with? It seemed kind of impossible that there wasn't at least one full episode's worth of events between point A and point B there that I had missed... but apparently not.

Also, what the hell was up with Butch? They acted like he was under some kind of hypnosis, or mind control, or brainwashing or something that made him artificially loyal to Penguin. Was that a thing that happened on-screen at some point, or was at least mentioned in some way, and I just missed it?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Victor Zsasz captured Butch at one point and did some pretty bad stuff to him off screen. This is what programmed him to be loyal to Penguin, despite him betraying Fish earlier.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Last night's episode

:eyepop:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Speaking of Leob, was that him dressed up as the old woman with a dog in the elevator, or I am having Bosom Buddies flashbacks?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Robot Hobo posted:

entering the city through the mist on a rowboat (Mortal Kombaaaat!),

It seems to me that was supposed to be more of a reference to Charon's ferryboat over the river Styx.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist
That's the kind of season finale you make when you aren't expecting to get renewed.

I'm anxiously hoping for a .gif of Thompkins re-securing the floorboards with Barbara's head.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
#NextSeasonOnGotham

*A mysterious new bad guy in a mask shows up in Gotham, and Bullock gets a new hat!

*Young Poison Ivy has a scene where she buys a plant; the writers sit back and call it a day

*GORDON: Dammit Harvey, if we don't do this people will die!
*BULLOCK: Savin' lives ain't our job!
*GORDON: Uh

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
With Arkham Asylum being up-and-running again as of the middle of season 1, I'm hoping that they take a page from the Arkham games and bring in a 30-something Hugo Strange as the big-bad for season 2. He'd be a great fit, his experiments on inmates could be a handy way to get some more crazy villains onto the streets, and that would put him in an appropriate age-range to still be hassling Batman years later.

gtkor posted:

Victor Zsasz captured Butch at one point and did some pretty bad stuff to him off screen. This is what programmed him to be loyal to Penguin, despite him betraying Fish earlier.
Oh, I guess I totally missed that part somehow. There's plenty of people in Batman's classic rogue's gallery who specialize in mind control or brainwashing of some sort, like Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Mad Hatter, Hugo Strange, Joker, Ra's & Talia al Ghul, various Arkham Asylum doctors, plus Electrcutioner and maybe Dollmaker in the series already. It just didn't occur to me that Zsasz, the one guy known for being a plain ol' psychotic killer, would be their choice when they wanted someone to do brainwashing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If it helps you believe Zsasz doing something like that, he pretty much tortures Butch into being a pet. There's some really hosed up poo poo going on under Butch's suit I bet. Wouldn't surprise me if in S2 it's revealed he was turned into a eunuch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MacheteZombie posted:

If it helps you believe Zsasz doing something like that, he pretty much tortures Butch into being a pet. There's some really hosed up poo poo going on under Butch's suit I bet. Wouldn't surprise me if in S2 it's revealed he was turned into a eunuch.

They Reek'd him?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

They Reek'd him?

That's what I think, if Gotham was on HBO then it totally would have been that scene.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MacheteZombie posted:

That's what I think, if Gotham was on HBO then it totally would have been that scene.

If Gotham was on HBO it could have been close to his other show - Rome. We could have gotten Bullock and Gordon in a gladiator pit. 13thhh

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought that Butch was going to shoot himself instead of both Fish and Penguin.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MacheteZombie posted:

And the Dollmaker sews Butch's cut off dick onto Fish. This is somehow symbolism.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

And the Dollmaker sews Butch's cut off dick onto Fish. This is somehow symbolism.

Please Fish doesn't need anything sewn on her. She's already packing the biggest balls on the show.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Robot Hobo posted:

Selina's main character trait is that she's so totally independent, yet suddenly she's down for being Fish's lackey and apparently happy to kill the one cop she gets along with? It seemed kind of impossible that there wasn't at least one full episode's worth of events between point A and point B there that I had missed... but apparently not.

I think this was the thing that bugged me most about the episode. I hated the Selina character at first, buy I grew to like her as she got more developed and moved beyond the "I like cats" catchphrases that she always uttered in the first few episodes. Then, suddenly for the finale, it's like all the worst writers got together and totally ignored anything that happened with her character, besides the fact that she likes cats.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

twistedmentat posted:

That gun fight was pretty awesome. Gordon headshotting then guy with his own pistol was clever.

That was some John Wick poo poo right there.
(Go see John Wick)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

imperialparadox posted:

I think this was the thing that bugged me most about the episode. I hated the Selina character at first, buy I grew to like her as she got more developed and moved beyond the "I like cats" catchphrases that she always uttered in the first few episodes. Then, suddenly for the finale, it's like all the worst writers got together and totally ignored anything that happened with her character, besides the fact that she likes cats.

I don't know, her rubbing up to Fish like a cat was pretty :3: and got laughs out of me and my girlfriend.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

TLG James posted:

Well she meets Selina while she's warming her hands like a hobo at the beginning of the episode. And she came in on a boat for some reason.

I keep thinking the following: Without the Dollmaker plot we could have had Fish secretly vanishing by boat and secretly returns by boat about 7 episodes later with a new look and a new crew.

She wouldn't have had to be completely gone, we could have spent something like 5 minutes per episode of a shorter season showing Fish with gradually acquiring a crappy street gang in something like Bludhaven and finally coming back in the finale thinking she could seize power there in the chaos.

I also really didn't like how the episode just seemed to try to find ways to close out the stories of the mob leaders, either. However, my word, that Nygma reveal was great. Barbara's turn in this episode was fun, too.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I liked it. :shobon:

Please stay dead, Fish.

Babs. :stare: I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And everyone said it was dumb that she was into the Ogre's fetish murder room :colbert:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

mcbexx posted:

That was some John Wick poo poo right there.
(Go see John Wick)

Also watch last weeks Agents of SHIELD for a shootout sequence that would have fit right in with John Wick.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rarity posted:

And everyone said it was dumb that she was into the Ogre's fetish murder room :colbert:
At first when Barbara asked Leslie if Jim hits her, I thought we were either going to learn something nasty about Gordon, or more likely that she was going to try to drive Leslie and Jim apart by making up lies about him being an abuser. It took me a moment to realize that she was actually implying that Jim never physically abused her at all, and she was really disappointed by that. That's some dark poo poo.

Batshit crazy Barbara was great. I wonder if they cast Erin Richards to play her based on that one scene (and maybe future planned crazy in season 2) and then just forgot to check if she could bring any life to the character for the 21.9 episodes prior to that scene.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Robot Hobo posted:

Batshit crazy Barbara was great. I wonder if they cast Erin Richards to play her based on that one scene (and maybe future planned crazy in season 2) and then just forgot to check if she could bring any life to the character for the 21.9 episodes prior to that scene.

Pretty sure it went like this:

Producer: Erin, this character just isn't working. Everyone hates her! Is there anything else you can bring to the table?
Erin: :stare:
Producer: ...Well ok then

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Also watch last weeks Agents of SHIELD for a shootout sequence that would have fit right in with John Wick.

Daisy Johnson and James Gordon team up to take out the Anti-monitor.

And yea, Selena's turn was really confusing. She has always been independent, and was very clear she didn't want to tie herself down, but for some reason Fish had her lock and stock. Maybe it was a promise of glory and fortune, but it still seems out of character.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I'm just going to repost this so we can all remember Jada Pinkett Smith's finest moment as Fish Moony:

Need a gif of this mixed with Babs getting head-slammed into the floor by Dr. Newchick.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Speaking of Leob, was that him dressed up as the old woman with a dog in the elevator, or I am having Bosom Buddies flashbacks?

Quoting myself, but this is a serious question. When Gordon, Falcone, and Bullock got on the elevator to Babs' apt, was that old woman Peter Scolari in drag?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope that while unconscious, Barbara is haunted by the ghosts of her parents clucking,"Couldn't even do that right, huh Babs?"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was just thinking that Loeb won't be Commissioner much longer. He sided with Moroni against Falcone and personally showed up to the hospital with hitmen to try to get rid of Gordon, who straight up helped Falcone and earned his gratitude and respect.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

tarlibone posted:

Need a gif of this mixed with Babs getting head-slammed into the floor by Dr. Newchick.

I've been referring to her internally as Inara. I guess because I'm an rear end in a top hat; I've seen Morena Baccarin in tons of poo poo since then but that's the role that sticks.

But yeah, that scene was great. When they opened the door to Lee pounding Barbara into the floor, I thought they were going to create some bullshit drama around the ambiguity over who attacked whom.

When everyone accepted that "your ex is loving psychotic," I was thrilled. Because obviously. Barbara was edging crazy *before* being kidnapped by the Marquis de Gotham. There's no question she went insane and tried to murder someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xealot posted:

But yeah, that scene was great. When they opened the door to Lee pounding Barbara into the floor, I thought they were going to create some bullshit drama around the ambiguity over who attacked whom.

When everyone accepted that "your ex is loving psychotic," I was thrilled. Because obviously. Barbara was edging crazy *before* being kidnapped by the Marquis de Gotham. There's no question she went insane and tried to murder someone.

Yeah I was so pleased about that - both because it was nice that Lee didn't need a man to save her, and that everybody was just like,"Well sure Barbara was at fault, it's Barbara!" They didn't even blink at the idea :laugh:

• Locked thread