Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

What pulsating save thing?
I can't think of any other models used in that game except the geometric shape and the coffin in the save room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
"You ask me to reveal more. But while you remain in the vestibule you are safe."

I'd still like to know if the gameplay's 3D, Count Igula. There's a reason they call it the Polygon Ceiling.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Hakkesshu posted:

Have you played it? Is it actually legitimately similar to Flashback? Because whenever an indie game says it's similar to Flashback it's never loving true.

If there's one thing that Dex reminds me of, it's playing Flashback many years ago. It's got a similar feel to it in how you do things, moving and fighting, thought it leans more towards character interaction and quests more so than exploration, especially compared to the early parts of Flashback. But it does have some exploration, little corners of the world that aren't easily accessible. It's definitely worth checking into.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Great Joe posted:

I can't think of any other models used in that game except the geometric shape and the coffin in the save room.

I meant the enemies model they kept reusing in all the igavania games.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

I meant the enemies model they kept reusing in all the igavania games.
What models? I don't think there was a single enemy done in 3D in those games.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Great Joe posted:

What models? I don't think there was a single enemy done in 3D in those games.

Not in 3D, in 2D. Is this a term thing? I think it's pretty clear what I mean by "model".

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 5, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If they're 2D, they're not models. (SOTN doesn't have a lot of real "sprites", either; almost everything that looks like a sprite is a texture mapped to a flat rectangle.) This is a dumb argument.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Kickstarter Gaming - This is a dumb argument

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If they're 2D, they're not models. (SOTN doesn't have a lot of real "sprites", either; almost everything that looks like a sprite is a texture mapped to a flat rectangle.) This is a dumb argument.

Could have told me that right away, I don't know the technical terms.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sharts posted:

Hello. I am Josh. I hate you all, I have a total and utter disdain for humanity, and I will find you and kill you in your sleep.

My talents include but are not limited to Flash animation, Tweaking out in a cold sweat, Video games, Battling with imaginary tentacle demons, and hating anime.

While on that topic, I'd just like to inform you that anime is the embodiment of all that is loathesome. It's something that Satan himself created, or rather pulled out of his rear end and tossed up to all the foolish mortals in the human realm. It got to one guy and it spread like a wildfire after a cow lit a fart, and it has been taking over the world, slowly, one dumbass at a time.

I managed to evade it's evil grasp. If you don't know what anime is, there's still a chance for you to be saved! However, if you are one of the vast marching hordes of idiots who actually liked anime, do humanity a favor and don't breed.

One day, the anime-pocalypse will come and it will spell doom for us all. When that time comes, I hope you morons realise that IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, YOU STUPID FAGS.

RaNciDPsychOJosH: I am none of these people.
RaNciDPsychOJosH: I am a new voice.
RaNciDPsychOJosH: I am Josh Tejada.
RaNciDPsychOJosH: and one day people will say "You sound like Josh Tejada"
RaNciDPsychOJosH: or "You're good but you're no Josh Tejada".
Blaklyon Zero: Then show me your power
RaNciDPsychOJosH: You will see... just like everyone else.
RaNciDPsychOJosH: Everyone is blind.

Ahhh... here we are, my first oekaki ever. (Well, that's only half-true, I tried it twice before but it screwed up on me each time.)

This is my tiger catgirl character, Milchi. She has a tail and stuff that you can't see but... eh, it's a long story.

This is just her, vaporizing the Teen Titans tower with... atomic breath, a power she doesn't normally have (nor is she normally a giantess). I tried doing this once before but as I said, it screwed up. I drew this picture to reflect my utter hatred of the show Teen Titans, and all those piece of poo poo american animes just like it that are now all over the drat place... but mainly Teen Titans.

I'd like to be able to say that this took me only 10 minutes at the most to draw, but quite frankly, that would be a lie. If it were anything else, like my sketchbook or Flash MX I could've easily made this picture look infinitely better, but as I said this is my first real time using an oekaki. I drew this entirely with my left hand in PaintBBS and I probably should've used the other one, but as it stands I don't have a newfangled tablet doohickey like you kids are all playing with nowadays.

And yes, that's Cyborg she's crushing to powder in her hand. As much as I want to write out a detailed biography of her in this comment box, I must restrain myself...

where's the kickstarter, if that gender bender dna twister game got funded, this poo poo could too

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

He needs to get someone to actually code his game first.

Cabbagepots what are the backer rewards gonna be for gigamaidens?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

how did people find out about cabbagepots and his fascination with giant catwaifus

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

What's wrong with assuming, since you're using a technical term, that you meant the meaning of the technical term, instead of layman's terms like "work" or "design"?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

how did people find out about cabbagepots and his fascination with giant catwaifus

He got banned from one of the political IRC channels because he wouldn't shut up about it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

http://tindeck.com/listen/dskr

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

GreenNight posted:

He got banned from one of the political IRC channels because he wouldn't shut up about it.
And game IRC channels.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

SupSuper posted:

And game IRC channels.

And game programming channels.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

My finest piece of work regarding Cabbagepots.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Is anyone loving playing KI at this point? Like they've been putting out characters but it doesn't seem like anyone cares.
They ran one of those "a cut of DLC sales gets put into tournament prize pools" things recently and hit their planned goal ($100,000 to be split among tournaments) in under three days - they expected it'd take much longer.

So it seems to be decently healthy as far as Xbone-exclusive fighting games (which is like smashing two smallish categories together to create an even smaller one) go.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Great Joe posted:

What's wrong with assuming, since you're using a technical term, that you meant the meaning of the technical term, instead of layman's terms like "work" or "design"?

because in the context of the sentence and the context of castlevania games it was incredibly loving obvious?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

because in the context of the sentence and the context of castlevania games it was incredibly loving obvious?
was it?

really?

was it?

really?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Great Joe posted:

was it?

really?

was it?

really?

Yes

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
But what does it mean to be 'really'? How does one know that they 'are'?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Great Joe posted:

was it?

really?

was it?

really?

Why would this guy call the 2D hand-drawn images in a 2D game sprites? I guess we'll never know ...

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Some people are just really, really pedantic. I got red title once for referring to ice 'evaporating' instead of saying 'sublimating' in a GBS thread about the Mars Polar lander. :shobon:

I've only played a couple of the Castlevania games (Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia), but I'd totally go for a Castlevania-esqe kickstarter.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
The problem with that argument is that "Model" is a really clearly defined word that people don't have to take a specific course in school to learn.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cheez posted:

The problem with that argument is that "Model" is a really clearly defined word that people don't have to take a specific course in school to learn.
So are "design", "picture", "work" and "animation".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I just got an update from the creators of Outward - The Adventurer Life Sim saying that they'd cancelled it. I definitely read about it in this thread, so I'm probably not the only one. Their narrative for the failure to reach their goal was all about marketing and the press not picking it up, which might be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, in that complaining about lack of press is usually a terrible way to get more press. Oh well, they're talking about trying to get a Canadian government funding grant, which would mean they completely fund the project based on what they want. I'm not going to hold my breath to hear anything but it seemed like a cool little idea. Maybe the survival walking simulator market has already reached saturation? I thought this one might have been sufficiently different from the rest to get going.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Memento posted:

I thought this one might have been sufficiently different from the rest to get going.
At first glance it really didn't look that different though. "Different" in the survival type genre for me is something like Don't Starve, something with a very unique stamp on the whole concept. Outward looked a little too generic fantasy.

The critical problem for me though was that their intended scope was too broad. For these kinds of projects I like to see a strict focus on the aspect that interests the team the most - any sort of "everything but the kitchen sink" philosophy to design in a pitch is a huge warning sign.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nick Arcade powered by microsoft 3d movie maker from 1995 https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/259989964/enthlevel

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nick Arcade powered by microsoft 3d movie maker from 1995 https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/259989964/enthlevel

This is not going to work on 350k, guys.

e:

They're actually asking for $1,250,000 to actually do a pilot if you scroll down, lol

This is not going to work on 1.25m, guys.

Cheez fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 6, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cheez posted:

This is not going to work on 350k, guys.
They're actually asking for $1,250,000 to actually do a pilot if you scroll down, lol

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

By the power of stolen assets I command you

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Holy loving :aslol:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Byolante posted:

By the power of stolen assets I command you

Is it stolen if they bought them from the Unity Asset Store?

Not that things at the UAS actually look that bad mind you

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Ok so all of those other desperate attempts to cash in on 90s nostalgia? This is actually the worst, cause it's not like Nick Arcade was a good show, it was a dumb spectacle at best.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Ok so all of those other desperate attempts to cash in on 90s nostalgia? This is actually the worst, cause it's not like Nick Arcade was a good show, it was a dumb spectacle at best.

Maybe if it's successful the people behind that old Nightmare show will launch a campaign for a new modern version of it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Oh well, they're talking about trying to get a Canadian government funding grant, which would mean they completely fund the project based on what they want.

I have the feeling that they're going to be very disappointed in the kind of grant money available for a project like this. There's absolutely money there, but the last Kickstarter that I heard trying to get it mentioned a figure in the neighborhood of forty to fifty grand, tops.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mercury_Storm posted:

They need a Legends of the Hidden Temple reboot. I'd back that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Count Uvula posted:

Yeah :( I think I'm gonna stop emailing press and focus on community stuff because writing personalized letters to journalists has gotten me like 2 backers (that's 1 backer per article written on the game!) and taken a fuckload of time.

Stop emailing press outside of large updates, that is.

Violent Little Things has about a day left, and it's a shame it's not meeting it's goal because it looks interesting. A lot of that's probably just the unfortunate lack of publicity for it (I only know about it because of this thread). However, Count Uvula - judging from the above post, are you the guy behind this project? How serious were you about doing this? It looks like way too much work for just a joke but then there's some really goony stuff like the first line under "Why Kickstarter" being "I've run out of money to live on," under risks basically saying "Welp, I might drop dead" and the potato tier.

I'd be interested in seeing it having a better shot at succeeding with more prep work, like building momentum before the Kickstarter began and judging from the video maybe even a playable vertical slice would be possible. But if there's going to be a second shot at this sometime in the future I think there's a serious need for an editor to make the Kickstarter more presentable. Most of all though you might want to think about getting work to cover your living expenses and making Violent Little Things a side-project. $23,000 minus taxes and Kickstarter's cut was going to cover all your expenses living in California until September seems like it would have ended in disaster no matter what to me. I'm in NY though so I apologize if I'm off-base there.