Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

VendaGoat posted:

How is it being 14 years old?

honestly im kinda surprised they let me get married at 14 but thats what you get when you pay for a good fake ID

always pay extra for quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

psyopmonkey posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

I used to be all into cast iron, but clean stainless is where its at.

You really are the worst poster....

Stainless over cast iron? Go kill yourself

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I would have also taken "greasy" as a possible answer

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nobody in my family preps mashed potatoes with the potato skins in them. I'll eat them served that way but honestly leaving the skin in there completely fucks up the consistency in a bad way, but it's not bad enough to not eat them. I also prep them the same way everyone else in the family does, i just don't think it's worth it and i don't enjoy food prep.

ROFLburger posted:

lol youre a dumb rear end in a top hat, instant potatoes are awful

they're really bland yes.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...

VendaGoat posted:

How is it being 14 years old?

I'm misunderstood

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

honestly im kinda surprised they let me get married at 14 but thats what you get when you pay for a good fake ID

always pay extra for quality

What's it like living in the South?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
one time i had to bring mashed potatoes to a potluck i did not care about and just went and got instant mashed potatoes at a kroger on the way there and cooked them in a nearby gas station's microwave

to my surprise they were really not bad at all and more than 1 person there claimed to like my "recipe" so i dunno what brand that was or anything but i guess some instant mashed potatoes are okay in my book

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

VendaGoat posted:

What's it like living in the South?

Very itchy.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

psyopmonkey posted:

Very itchy.

confirm

pretty much the one thing me and psyop agree on

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

hemophilia posted:

making creamy potatoes is a matter of getting the milk/potato/butter ratio right after boiling but not over boiling the potatoes it's super fuckin' easy, the pain in the rear end part is there's so many loving steps to prepping mashed potatoes. Hand peeling and hand cutting potatoes for 2, 3, 4 people and making extra for the assholes who pile it on their plate. you will spend more effort getting that poo poo ready than you will on the entire rest of the meal.

So never make your own. buy instant potatoes and be done with it.

you know if you cut the potatoes in half before you boil them, you can drain the water and just squeeze the skins right off, then mash. it's really easy.

i like quartering them and leaving the skins on, because i like potato skins a great deal, but, just letting you know. you don't really need to spend time peeling.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Is it your rear end' that are itchy?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Under the vegetable posted:

you know if you cut the potatoes in half before you boil them, you can drain the water and just squeeze the skins right off, then mash. it's really easy.

i like quartering them and leaving the skins on, because i like potato skins a great deal, but, just letting you know. you don't really need to spend time peeling.

you're blowing my entire perception of reality and i'll probably try this.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRwulpQO6b4

im also only suggesting that you cut them in half because they cook faster, you can do this with whole potatoes too.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VendaGoat posted:

:cripes:

Oh good god.

I don't make mashed potatoes because I don't have one of those kitchen made mixer jobs. Those friggen make some creamy potatoes.

Instead I make baked Sweet Potatoes or Yams with butter and cinnamon. Never had a complaint.

An electric hand beater will get you pretty close

If you think kitchenaid mixers are cool check out the ones bosch makes

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Here, listen to an angry european dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpjWgB89I08

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Zeno-25 posted:

An electric hand beater will get you pretty close

gently caress you assholes a bigass spoon will get you close if you put effort into it jesus christ mashed potatoes does not requires any equipment other than potatoes and some way to beat the poo poo out of them, whether its powered by electricity or elbow grease

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zeno-25 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-SFkWB4z0s
:stare:
What kind of voodoo, black loving magic is this?

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

truth, i like to use a rock hammer and a tiny pick to shape mine just right

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-MUM6N10...rds=bosch+mixer

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

wwow, only $424! what a deal

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Darf posted:

most of the time a kitchenaid mixer costs about the same, if not more.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
a bigass spoon costs like 3 bucks

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

i punch that poo poo with my fists

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Grilling steaks is for faggots with no tatsebuds. Sear that poo poo on cast iron 2 minutes each side with lots of butter and salt and pepper. Finish in oven at 375F for 5 mins.

Maillard reaction yo

oh yeah you can't get a maillard reaction on a grill

you loving retaard

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Darf posted:

lol that bosch makes kitchen appliances

does it nail itself to your kitchen counter too

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

a bigass spoon costs like 3 bucks

yes i would not recommend buying or using a mixer meant for like industrial bread dough kneading to make mashed spuds.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

ashgromnies posted:

oh yeah you can't get a maillard reaction on a grill

you loving retaard

well, you get less of one.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I got a bosch mixer for my kitchen but it keeps drilling through the wall and the neighbours are complaining

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

this man speaks the truth

no he doesn't he's a moron

both methods are great, i do the alton brown oven method during the winter but when it[s nice out agrilled steak is fantastic and has an excellent flavor especially with lump charcoal and even woodchips, ugh i'm just mad about this

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

a grill gets hotter than your puny oven

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
REVERSE SEAR AND JUST PUT THE STEAK DIRECTLY ON NATURAL WOOD LUMP CHARCOAL YOU BLOWDRY CLEAN OF ASH OR GTFO

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
SOUS VIDE!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Please enjoy your steak to the maximum potential based on your wallet, mood, how much you're willing to work in a kitchen, and personal taste preferences of course.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Coals get much hotter than your stove. If anything it's actually easier. Do you even know how it works?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

hemophilia posted:

Please enjoy your steak to the maximum potential based on your wallet, mood, how much you're willing to work in a kitchen, and personal taste preferences of course.

:supaburn:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

hemophilia posted:

NO YOU NEED TO GET A CAST IRON AND OIL THE STEAK NOT THE PAN AND

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Hobohemian posted:

Coals get much hotter than your stove. If anything it's actually easier. Do you even know how it works?

what if i put my cast iron on top of the grill

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
This all sounds really complicated, unlike the Domino's app which even remembers what you ordered before so you don't have to manually select pepperoni every time.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
when i order food i get a different thing every time, also when i go to restaurants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

when i order food i get a different thing every time, also when i go to restaurants

Thats a good way to go about it.

Some places I like to get the same thing though.

• Locked thread