Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Under the vegetable posted:

what if i put my cast iron on top of the grill

this is good and i like to imagine it helps saison the cast iran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
My cast iron is sitting in the bottom of my oven to act as a heat sink.

Now that I have stainless im just so much better off.

Stainless is awesome.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhOV89EQtJs

steak in pan = best steak

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
pan steak is only good if you have a stove that can get cast iron up to like 550

it would be nice if ovens would come with a non lovely salamander

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Gorman Thomas posted:

pan steak is only good if you have a stove that can get cast iron up to like 550

I have a gas stove.

It heats stuff up really well but I only see max temps of 360f.

Am I doing life wrong?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
thats like medium for most stoves so u might be hosed dog

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
hammer a steak into a pizza and eat it

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

psyopmonkey posted:

Thats a good way to go about it.

Some places I like to get the same thing though.

Like penis

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

only Al dente

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
There was a Japanese guy that had his wang cut off and then charged money to people so they could eat it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
since i learned to make a good pizza ive never ordered a steak

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

al a mode

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Chinatown posted:

since i learned to make a good pizza ive never ordered a steak

much like steak you can grill pizza

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

ashgromnies posted:

I've never tried that. Is it good?

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Grilling steaks is for faggots with no tatsebuds. Sear that poo poo on cast iron 2 minutes each side with lots of butter and salt and pepper. Finish in oven at 375F for 5 mins.

Maillard reaction yo

More like 60-90 seconds on each side and done, with a good steak it's like meat candy.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

ashgromnies posted:

no you can't. ssssh.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gorman Thomas posted:

I have tried to find whatever old episode of Good Eats that shows how to use a charcoal chimney to sear a steak like a cheap salamander. Since I can't find it here's what you need to do:

get 2-4 mason bricks and lay a grill grate on top of them

Get an extra-large diameter charcoal chimney starter, you will need the extra diameter to cook real steaks

Get real lump charcoal and fill that whole thing up. Light it up while on the grill grate and let it burn 5-10 minutes until it's glowing hot. Real lump charcoal burns hotter

Give it a good shake to get rid of any ash from the smaller pieces. You don't want that ash poo poo falling on your steak

Put the steak inside of the bottom of the charcoal chimney, even thought the steak is under all of the coals they are so loving hot it's like a salamander

2-3 minutes per side

Best ribeye ever

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Zeno-25 posted:

I have tried to find whatever old episode of Good Eats that shows how to use a charcoal chimney to sear a steak like a cheap salamander. Since I can't find it here's what you need to do:

get 2-4 mason bricks and lay a grill grate on top of them

Get an extra-large diameter charcoal chimney starter, you will need the extra diameter to cook real steaks

Get real lump charcoal and fill that whole thing up. Light it up while on the grill grate and let it burn 5-10 minutes until it's glowing hot. Real lump charcoal burns hotter

Give it a good shake to get rid of any ash from the smaller pieces. You don't want that ash poo poo falling on your steak

Put the steak inside of the bottom of the charcoal chimney, even thought the steak is under all of the coals they are so loving hot it's like a salamander

2-3 minutes per side

Best ribeye ever

Here is a similar method as well as a shitton of other grilling facts: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/extreme_steak.html

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Got a sous vide on the way. Amazon Prime Ftw! :eng101:

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
I don't understand people that can't cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Hobohemian posted:

I've never tried that. Is it good?

super good, you get a little bit of char and a good rise on the crust. if you like wood-fired oven pizza it's a good home approximation

throw the dough on the grill, let one side cook until it starts to set, then flip it and put your toppings on and cook for another few minutes until completion

• Locked thread