Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Pictured: the best the US could do during the 50s, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The Navy bankrolls all the USMC Aircraft. So basically the Navy buys F-35Bs and bought Harriers. This isn't some thing about how Marines are in the dept of the Navy. The Navy dollars literally buy the planes.

QED :smug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So what you're saying is USMC aviation is a Navy project to kill marines?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Forums Terrorist posted:

Pictured: the best the US could do during the 50s, apparently

The Delta Dart was pretty good

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Delta Dart was pretty good

What is that bottom thing and my god why are the wings so small

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Alaan posted:

The F-104? The small wings are to more efficiently kill Germans/Canadians.
"In the Canadian Forces, the aircraft were sometimes referred to, in jest, as the Lawn Dart, the Aluminium Death Tube, and the Flying Phallus." lol

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

It only took them how long to put the gun back on?

Alaan posted:

F-104 Starfighter, aka "missile with a man in it". Designed as a high altitude, high speed interceptor, which it was good at. Also used in other roles that it was not so good at ... like ground attack. Or not killing the pilot.

From reading Kelly Johnson's autobiography, it exists because the MiG-15 had a higher flight ceiling than the F-86, and this made the Air Force sad during the Korean War.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The good news is your plane has very little drag from the wings! the bad news is your plane stalls if you look at it funny because it has tiny wings.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

TasogareNoKagi posted:

It only took them how long to put the gun back on?

Well, let's see. The Air Force first flew the F-4 in 1963 and put a gun in the E model, which first flew in 1967. So four years for the Air Force.

The Navy first flew the F-4 in 1958 and put a gun in the F-14.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Oh, I'm not saying they didn't have successes, but it's hilarious that someone can take a look at postwar fighter design and conclude that Navy procurement was a dumpster fire anything less than 69% of the time.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Guys, let's all stop lying to ourselves and just admit the Coast Guard makes the best planes. :smug:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 9, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

The systems works flawlessly. When it doesn't that is an error and should be discounted as such.

You all laugh but this is almost verbatim what someone said on a telecon the other day in regard to T&E.

"Well the system could have a problem, if we structure our evaluation to hit on that specific system it could result in uncovering problems, which we don't want because it will drive delays."

"...uh, isn't 'uncovering currently unknown potential problems' the entire loving reason we test things?"

And then we all remembered that no, no it isn't. The reason we test things is so the Program Office can say "well we put it through testing" and then push it out the door, regardless of what the final report says about how the testing actually went.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The navy has neither the inclination nor the training to manage strategic air and space operations. The largest aircraft they have more than 20 of is a twin-engined bizjet the P-3, which they use as a dumpster for unwanted aircrew. After that, it's twin-engine bizjets.

Incorrect.

Yeah I was going to say, if we're going to talk about Naval Aviation being faultless in tacair development let's just trot out the good ol' Westinghouse motors joke and throw an A-12 on top for good measure.

Also giving any more aviation assets to the Navy is a terrible terrible idea. Mobility aviation would cease to exist except to ferry parts around the world to wherever a carrier was pulled into port and to fly tankers in endless circles around CSGs because that's what's most important. We'd forget we had bombers because why do we need to fly more than a couple hundred miles off-shore, that's why we have ships!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah I was going to say, if we're going to talk about Naval Aviation being faultless in tacair development let's just trot out the good ol' Westinghouse motors joke and throw an A-12 on top for good measure.

Also giving any more aviation assets to the Navy is a terrible terrible idea. Mobility aviation would cease to exist except to ferry parts around the world to wherever a carrier was pulled into port and to fly tankers in endless circles around CSGs because that's what's most important. We'd forget we had bombers because why do we need to fly more than a couple hundred miles off-shore, that's why we have ships!
I didn't want to be that lazy though. Everything from putting nukes on prop planes to the strange career of the A-5 (stores train!) to the canted pylons on the Shornet and the strange tails of the F-4 and C-2 points to the idea that adapting planes around flying off a postage stamp sized runway on a boat leads to some truly batshit design choices. Sometimes it works out, but NavAir can't claim with a straight face to have a record of consistently picking winners.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Prop planes are the only ones that have dropped nukes in combat. And the most powerful weapon ever tested was dropped by a prop. :colbert:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ETERNAL NORTH KOREA TEST-LAUNCHES BALLISTIC (?) SUBMARINE MISSILE

Announcement accompanied with a photoshop of Kim Jong-Un

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

hobbesmaster posted:

Prop planes are the only ones that have dropped nukes in combat. And the most powerful weapon ever tested was dropped by a prop. :colbert:

But not a single seat, single (piston) engine prop.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

ETERNAL NORTH KOREA TEST-LAUNCHES BALLISTIC (?) SUBMARINE MISSILE

Announcement accompanied with a photoshop of Kim Jong-Un

I like the way the BBC phrased it. "The North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, was pictured apparently overseeing the launch."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

They apparently never actually put a real live nuke on a skyraider.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

They apparently never actually put a real live nuke on a skyraider.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Video of an AC-130W shooting its ATK auto cannon
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3fd_1430285376

I guess there is talk of this being added to the AC-130 or its possible successor if there is one
http://www.energy-daily.com/reports/ATK_Precision_Guided_Mortar_Munition_Scores_Direct_Hit_In_Guided_Flight_Test_999.html

A mortar seems a bit silly to me for an aircraft. Imagine if it rose to apogee and then speared the aircraft which could theoretically "get in the way" of the round on its way to the target.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Pity the fool who plinks at a tank with a machine gun.

Definitely, but there was a case at the Baghdad Airport battle where a guy with a 12.7mm DsHK killed an abrams with shots to the APU part of the turret. The turret hydraulic assist pump caught on fire and the tank burned up. Hard to find info about it now because either I really suck at finding it again or there is an active scrubbing program by either Abrams fanboys or the Government. Could be either.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

NK actually has way more submarines than I would have expected. Even if they 60 year old soviet diesel electrics or their own home grown one somewhere between a midget sub and a real sub.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

B4Ctom1 posted:

A mortar seems a bit silly to me for an aircraft. Imagine if it rose to apogee and then speared the aircraft which could theoretically "get in the way" of the round on its way to the target.

From what I understand they are using the mortar as a direct fire weapon so it never really go ballistic. We use to put a 105m howitzer on the 130 but that wasn't needed since we aren't sending the round out 20+ miles. Replace that with a direct firing 120mm mortar and you save a lot of weight on bracing and can place a lot more freedom HE on target.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

wargames posted:

From what I understand they are using the mortar as a direct fire weapon so it never really go ballistic. We use to put a 105m howitzer on the 130 but that wasn't needed since we aren't sending the round out 20+ miles. Replace that with a direct firing 120mm mortar and you save a lot of weight on bracing and can place a lot more freedom HE on target.

According to the extremely bad (and therefore, official) powerpoint I saw on the subject, yes. Both are fired as direct fire weapons, so the mortar would have guided rounds, more explosive per shot, less recoil force to deal with, and generally be A Good Thing. Of course, this PPT was from the company who stood to make money off regunning the AC-130.

The powerpoint neglected to mention whether or not the 120mm mortar could perform equally well as a 105 firing sabots against Scorponok.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 10, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The guided rounds should usually offset the biggest weakness of a mortar vs. howitzer, the time it takes the shell to arrive.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I thought we already switched over to the 120mm freedom express mortar, and these guys are just peddling guided rounds.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

wargames posted:

I thought we already switched over to the 120mm freedom express mortar, and these guys are just peddling guided rounds.

Not for the AC-130. The -U model is still rolling with the 105mm and the new -W and newer -Js don't have a big gun, their delivery of significant amounts of explosives is through guided munitions (Griffins, Viper Strikes, Hellfires, and SDBs).

e: I should say "don't have a big gun yet." The 120mm is being considered as a potential follow-on development for the -J model down the road.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
a rule of thumb is mortar rounds have about twice the HE capacity of their equivalent tube caliber so if range is irrelevant it makes a lot of sense to use mortars. plus pgk kits are on the way for heavy mortars so that adds a near precision capability

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Buk catches fire in the Victory Day parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tMvBFgnmY8

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mazz posted:

Buk catches fire in the Victory Day parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tMvBFgnmY8

The Ghost of MH-17?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A400M crashed Saturday in Spain, killing 4 /6 crew.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/11594603/Military-plane-crashes-during-test-flight-near-Seville.html

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.
I'm at a loss for words...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSAEhGnRg5Y

I'm really hoping that if there is someone that understands the Russian language on here, that they will watch this and just say "Oh yeah, it is a silly funny thing and not at all serious" but on the other hand... Russia.

That being said, I think the US Navy uses sea lions for finding stuff underwater so maybe they are actually training the seals for something similar.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sounds like the story about the Armata breaking down at the rehearsal is starting to shift to "it was a towing demonstration" again. I suppose the photos of it being towed away have cast some doubt on the "we had to call the IT guy to hit the reset button, EVERYTHING WAS FINE, THE CREW WAS DUMB!!" story.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

block51 posted:

I'm really hoping that if there is someone that understands the Russian language on here, that they will watch this and just say "Oh yeah, it is a silly funny thing and not at all serious" but on the other hand... Russia.

That being said, I think the US Navy uses sea lions for finding stuff underwater so maybe they are actually training the seals for something similar.

Those are Baikal seals, endemic to lake Baikal, and the only exclusively-freshwater pinnipeds in the world, so I doubt they're training them for anything like that. I'm pretty sure it's just a zoo doing something ridiculous for the news cameras. The training is good for the critters, though. Bored marine mammals can develop behavioral problems.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

bewbies posted:

a rule of thumb is mortar rounds have about twice the HE capacity of their equivalent tube caliber so if range is irrelevant it makes a lot of sense to use mortars. plus pgk kits are on the way for heavy mortars so that adds a near precision capability

I was under the impression that they used the 105 for kinetic energy but I guess when you're shelling mud huts HE is better

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

block51 posted:

Aww, look at their little hats! :3: :ussr:

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

MrYenko posted:

Those are Baikal seals, endemic to lake Baikal, and the only exclusively-freshwater pinnipeds in the world, so I doubt they're training them for anything like that. I'm pretty sure it's just a zoo doing something ridiculous for the news cameras. The training is good for the critters, though. Bored marine mammals can develop behavioral problems.

Good catch! The only thing I could tell about them is that they looked a bit odd compared to most seals that I have seen pictures of or in person at seaworld or the zoo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They look like a pug and sack of fat mixed together. I dont understand how the russians didnt make them go extinct years ago.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

LingcodKilla posted:

They look like a pug and sack of fat mixed together. I dont understand how the russians didnt make them go extinct years ago.

Maybe it's something of a breeding animal for lonely Ruskies in Siberia? :shrug:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

The seals or middle-aged Russian women?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

VikingSkull posted:

I was under the impression that they used the 105 for kinetic energy but I guess when you're shelling mud huts HE is better

my source on this was someone at SA, but he told me they rarely carry anything other than HE rounds for the AC-130 105. Actually it was in reference to the sabots and Scorponok - after that movie came out he just had to buzzkill everyone by pointing out AC-130s won't load KE or HEAT or whatever rounds unless required by the mission.

so, assuming that's true, a 120 mortar is probably going to do the exact same job.

e: I think he actually said "never heard of anything other than HE" and not "rarely" also, see bewbies' post on the next page.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 11, 2015