Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

silversatyr posted:

You know, it's odd. I always thought Artea and Karyn were lovers and Milka was his sort-of-but-not step-daughter. The dialogue makes that seem more likely than Karyn being his mother. Maybe she was his step-mother? It'd explain why he calls her by her name instead of Mum/Mother, like Milka does, and why Milka makes the distinction of 'my mother' instead of 'our mother'. There's some separation between he and Karyn that makes it seem very much as though she isn't his mother. Hell, maybe he's an adopted child.

Yeah, it really doesn't make a lick of sense, does it? In the DS version, he's just a good friend of the family, so if I had to guess, the thing about him and Milka being related is just wild guessing.

Anyway, guess who accidentally overwrote a save state and had to do the Divine Shrine over again. Update should be either late this evening or tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Artea has a sister called Milka in a later game - whether it's just meant to be a coincidence (or "named after") or a retroactive change to make them siblings I don't think they were intended to be brother/sister in this one when it was made. As mentioned, the dialogue really doesn't fit if they are.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
6% more power doesn't seem like a lot, but I suppose there's plot in it too.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Or, it could just be the curse of an overly literal translation striking again, as calling a little girl you're familiar with (but not literally related to) "little sister" is common in Japanese.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
Where does it even say that Milka is his sister? I'm guessing in one of those handheld games that I ignored. Honestly I'd have to see it to believe it because that seems like a pointless retcon.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

The n00b Avenger posted:

Where does it even say that Milka is his sister? I'm guessing in one of those handheld games that I ignored. Honestly I'd have to see it to believe it because that seems like a pointless retcon.

Legend Returns, if I recall correctly. The game that gushes DBZ levels of "must get STRONK".

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Chapter 30: Revengeance

I haven't mentioned this before, but of the weapons that Selan and Artea share, the Dragon Spear happens to be one of them. I think I'll let him roll with it for now, seeing as he could use the help.

By the standard rules of JRPG time, one dungeon should be enough for the science team to modify our ride. So off we go!

Probably a leaky pipe. They may be scientists, but they aren't plumbers.

And wouldn't you know it, but in addition to fixing their pollution issues, the lab's also completely remodeled a boat into a submarine.

Maybe that theory about world map travel taking days isn't too far off.

Or just the A Button.

: By the way, I didn't catch your name, young elf.

: I'm Artea.

: I'm Lexis. I'm sorry for the ooze. I never thought a lab could cause such a muck.

: As long as you understand that, it's ok. Besides, you solved the problem.

: Well, that's the least I can do. Maxim, what happened to Amon?

: Seems like he went back under the sea.

Come to think of it, the whole reason we needed a submarine was because Amon dove underwater in the first place. And yet he took time out of his schedule to go randomly terrorize some elves before going back under?

: People in the city also saw the ball of light go under near Barnan. That might have been it.

: I see.

: Barnan's west of the sea. Maxim, it's all up to you now.

: I know.

No, Lexis will never rejoin our party, but he WILL be on call to give us handy solutions for our problems.

As stated, we now have the ability to submerge the ship wherever and whenever we like.

I've been sitting on this track for a while, just because I like it so much.

While we're a submarine, monsters won't attack us, and it's not that much slower than traveling on the surface, so if you don't like getting interrupted every 20 steps or so, under the sea is where it's at.

Moreover, there are secret avenues underwater where we can get to places inaccessible from the surface.

Like this little island surrounded by land, for instance.

Finally, all that egg hunting is going to pay off.

We have four wishes to choose from, but not all wishes are created equal.

1) 10 of each stat-raising potion. That's approximately 30 strength/intellect/etc that you can spread around the whole party. Very nice.

2) 20 of each fruit. Considering that we're mostly good on raising our Capsule Monsters, this is really unnecessary.

3) An Old Shield. Good stats and a good IP, plus it can be used by most of the party.

4) A bunch of rings that we've already been gathering over the course of the game. Kind of extraneous.

I decided on the Old Shield this time. Yes, I said 'this time'.

For you see, once you've made your wish, the eggs all go flying every which way, filling up any empty treasure box they can find. We can make a total of four wishes over the course of the game, and each time, we have to gather the eggs again. We have a tool to make that task easier, but we'll save that for later.

The reason I picked the Old Shield is because its power is a lot more useful at earlier levels than later. That damage reduction makes a lot of enemies into non-issues.

Before we goodbye to our egg-loving friend, we should pop in to the neighboring town.

Piko's distinguishing characteristic is being boring. They don't even have stores. But visiting the town lets us Warp to it for easy access to the Egg Dragon, so there's that.

The other side area of note is this fissure here which leads to an underwater maze.

Don't let the perspective fool you. You can freely float over all of this stuff.

At the end of the maze is this whirlpool here, which leads to...

Kinda giving it away, aren't I?

Yes, it's our last CM of the game!

And he's a fish.

Zeppy's the CM of Water, naturally, and his area of focus is magic resistance.

He isn't that fast and he's average in most other areas, but he can take a beating and still stay strong.

I have never seen Zeppy flee, and if he does, he seems to have a high pain tolerance before he will.

Moreover, his fourth-tier form has two elemental resistances, lightning and water. That's half the spectrum that he's strong against. He does have a weakness to fire though, which tends to come out pretty often.

The other bends of this maze bring us to treasure boxes with Secret Fruit. This lets me demonstrate another trick.

Suppose we think this nine-tailed fox looks silly. Maybe we'd prefer to have our bubbly friend back instead. Well, just like you need a fruit to transform them to Tier 5, every CM has a fruit that turns them back to Tiers 1-4.

There we are. Good as new. Once Zeppy's had his time in the spotlight, I'm going to make our CM of choice up to you guys, so it'll be time to focus back on our old friends once more.

Back to business. It's time to go west.

Which brings us to this city here.

You know the drill. The ball of light buzzed through here and everyone's on pins and needles.

Although this time, the shrine was screwed up before Amon even got there.

Usual business then. Time to get outfitted.

Ironic that this is Maxim-specific, since he can't even use fire.

Wait, platinum? And the armor in the elven village was gold...are they making these things out of credit cards?

Or maybe it's just a shiny rock.

Kid, if the shrine's cursed, what were you even doing in there?

Leave the irresponsible dungeon crawling to the adults.

Hmm. This poses a problem. But remember what the kid said.

Besides, they wouldn't have given us a submarine if they didn't expect us to use it right away.

And here we are.

Well, isn't this a complicated-looking apparatus.

Which only makes the seemingly simple solution even more suspicious.

As a matter of fact, solving this puzzle at all is completely optional.

Let me just repeat that. Everything that happens in the left side of the shrine is unnecessary to progress. The key to the end, the boss, everything is all contained in the right side. Just bear that in mind.

Is that a T-Rex?

Yes, it is. If it wasn't already obvious, the monster designers just pulled creatures from wherever. So really, a prehistoric creature is as normal as it gets.

Feel free to ignore the stairs. They just lead to monsters.

Yes, that IS an undead charioteer.

Pulled by skeleton doggies, no less. This dungeon's entire theme is undead and evil creatures. Plus dinosaurs.

As a result, that Holy Whip found last dungeon comes in VERY handy. Thanks again, Torrannor!

The undead creature over the gap moves sideways to how we move and our objective is to lure him onto that button and then trap him inside so we can advance.

If we could outsmart that horse near the beginning of the game, we can corral this guy too.

These upgraded vampires are no different from the ones that fight alongside them. They'll try to suck your blood (or, failing that, your MP) and summon hilariously weak minions.

As tempting as it is to just rush through the door here, it's absolutely necessary to observe your surroundings.

Specifically this hole in the wall.

If you don't do this step before moving on, your life will be ruined forever.

Because you see, this is a one-way road. By the time you see the puzzle, you won't be able to access the solution, and that's frustrating.

Doesn't help that you have to face these guys every time you loop back around, wondering what you're doing wrong.

No, I'm not speaking from personal experience. Of course not.

What makes these Fiends irritating is that they get two turns and can spend either of those turns (or both, if they feel like it) dropping Fireballs on your team.

Magic will never stop hurting.

Okay.

Technically, either of the arrows would have worked, but I wanted to burn the rope.

Here's the thing I was talking about, and what inspired me to play this dungeon with a guide. You will not believe how long it took for me to realize that the solution was not anywhere nearby.

Doesn't help that this dungeon also has secret walls galore.

A few loops around, a little cursing, and some consultation from Gamefaqs later...

It's amazing how many different names they can think of for "Heals to full"

Moving right along, this puzzle is dead simple.

Pillars go in, water level rises, spikes lower.

But don't be too eager to leave. There's a breakable wall disguised cunningly as a candle. You'd know to be suspicious of this candle because

Two swords with conflicting goals. Together they fight demons.

For the Boom Sword, imagine this, but all thunder-y.

That concludes the left side of this dungeon. Yes, there's still another half to do.

Fortunately, the actual required portion of the dungeon is focused more on monsters than puzzles.

Unfortunately, the monsters have a higher than zero chance of trying to cast insta-kill magic on the team. The Demise monsters in particular have an ability with an 80% insta-death chance. It's in our best interest to kill them ASAP.

Meanwhile, the Hades Skulls can attack twice with Confubite, which damages and inflicts confusion. So yeah! Our best bet is to never let the enemy team get a turn ever.

Fortunately, Zeppy can respond in kind with water-elemental lightning. Yes, this lightning is striking people with wetness.

I'm happy to say that Fiends never show up on the plot side of this dungeon. Instead, we get samurai. Much more easily handled.

Plus they're weak to light as well. Happy times all around.

This puzzle to get the dungeon key is so easy, I wonder why they even bother.

Just slot in all the blocks and hit the switch. Nothing to it.

A clockwise loop around brings us the hall of many breakable walls.

Just keeps going on going, and the only important ones are the start and the end.

Seriously guys, just stick with a single name.

It's the candle-lighting trick again! On rails.

Speaking of old tricks, remember when we had to bomb a skeleton? Good times.

And who could forget bombing pillars to drop a chunk of scenery?

Don't take that teleporter, by the way. That's the way we came.

Our next theme is spotting barely-visible cracks in the wall.

Like this one, for example.

Okay, at least it's not a full heal. There's that.

Well, with a name like that, who WOULDN'T throw it right on?

At least this one doesn't make Guy hit his own teammates. More on that later.

What's coming next is so magical, you have to see it in motion.

Sheer poetry.

Let's just be thankful it didn't ask us to rearrange the furniture.

Oh hey guys! I haven't seen you in a while!

And it isn't a fakeout either. We're actually at the boss now!

: This is a form of energy. The energy of sheer hatred - a totally negative power.

: Why is such a thing floating around here!?

: I sense some kind of power has drawn it into this world.

: That could be...

: Arrrrgggh! Detestable humans!!!

Brace yourself, folks. This one can be a doozy.

For starters, this guy has 7,500 HP. If you don't have light-elemental weapons, you'll be basically relying on Artea to kill him in any decent amount of time.

But that's not the biggest problem with this boss.

THIS is.

On a whim, he can unleash Doomcry, an attack with a dangerously high chance of connecting. If Artea wasn't wearing the Undead Ring, the entire team would have wiped on the first turn. There are a number of other armor items that also block instant death, but if you don't know this is coming, you're probably looking at a total wipe.

Fortunately, he'll often waste turns just raging about nothing in particular, which gives Arty an opportunity to recover from this mess.

Valor is a real help in this fight, since it does a set 2000 of healing, whether or not it revives someone. I've never been able to get it to connect on anything but a single target at a time, but rest assured, Artea could keep himself healthy while bringing his buddies back.

Not only that, but it even works on the boss, albeit at a lower power. Even Maxim can get in on the act.

He can confuse allies and cast third-tier magic all he likes. With two or three characters inflicting 925 damage apiece, that 7,500 HP wears away pretty quickly. You can even use one of your many full-heal IP's on him to make this battle go even faster.

: Hey, isn't it still alive?

: No, the energy forms are all broken. I wouldn't let it suffer any longer...

This is a Tales series spell in the making.

But no, Artea just does the Wave at it and it vanishes.

: I just helped them. They can be truly rested when they understand the sacred truth.

: Sacred truth?

This game shies away from mentioning any specific afterlife, though you might recall that Selan called it Paradise at one point.

Anyway, the door behind the ghost is open, so let's take a peek.

What could possibly go wrong?

Next Time: We have to consult the mirror equivalent of Dr. Phil. Until then...

Name my magic-resistant slinger of wet lightning. Five letters and all that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Blastinus posted:

Name my magic-resistant slinger of wet lightning. Five letters and all that.

MrFsh is a laser fish.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

They were so close to getting an appropriate name on their own! But no, this looks like a Zeppo, the long forgotten Marx brother who was forgotten largely because nobody cared at that point.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Blastinus posted:

But don't be too eager to leave. There's a breakable wall disguised cunningly as a candle. You'd know to be suspicious of this candle because

I assume this is intentional? :v:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

FredMSloniker posted:

I assume this is intentional? :v:

What do YOU think?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The dragon balls eggs fly away and you can collect them again? Stop with the Dragon Ball imitation already, game.

By the way, those wishes are quite lackluster for a dragon that can supposedly grant every wish.

Blastinus posted:

Technically, either of the arrows would have worked, but I wanted to burn the rope.
I completely understand. "You have to burn the rope" is a fantastic Flash game and I think there aren't nearly enough LPs of it. It's just a great feeling once you realize what you have to do.

Also, that capsule monster is scary. Never mix electricity and water, kids.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Let´s see, hates fire, like water and electricity? Let's call is Zippo

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Blastinus posted:

I always figured this one was a subtler case of the exact same hint for the room:

Also, fun fact - you know that water elemental capsule monster we got? The one which was the very last one in the game (if you didn't miss any as you went)?

Young Vil kept backtracking and exploring, under the logic of "but the manual says it's available near the beginning, I must have missed it!" When I finally did find it at this point in the game, I was kinda annoyed.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Vil posted:

Young Vil kept backtracking and exploring, under the logic of "but the manual says it's available near the beginning, I must have missed it!" When I finally did find it at this point in the game, I was kinda annoyed.

I propose this monster be called Lies.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

I can get behind this. :black101:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Vil posted:

I always figured this one was a subtler case of the exact same hint for the room:

Huh. You know what, you're probably right! That's actually pretty clever, when you think about it that way.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Camel Pimp posted:

And we have a winner. :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Camel Pimp posted:

I'm down with Lies

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blastinus posted:

Now we're even, I never knew about that room!

Lies sounds good.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Lies :bandwagon:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Carbon dioxide posted:

The dragon balls eggs fly away and you can collect them again? Stop with the Dragon Ball imitation already, game.

Pretty sure that everyone who has played the game this far before went :haw: at this.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

I agree with this option.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Well, I think that's pretty easy to tell.

:ducksiren: Voting over! Our last CM is Lies! :ducksiren:

Update's happening tomorrow.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blastinus posted:

Well, I think that's pretty easy to tell.

:ducksiren: Voting over! Our last CM is Lies! :ducksiren:

Update's happening tomorrow.

I suppose he is striking his enemies with lie-tening.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Chapter 31: Mirror Mirror, Who Is the Father?

Lies! All lies!

Well, the part about being slow isn't, but otherwise...

Also, here's the Cursed Bow in action. It's comically weak and the arrows keep curving back to shoot your friends. We might want to fix that.

Besides, we're a little short on plot threads at the moment. The Shrine of Vengeance was pretty much a dead end.

This is always a good sign.

: I was waiting for you.

: Waiting for me?

: Yes. I wanted to ask you something. Well, if it's ok, I'd like to be alone with you.

: I didn't ask you. I asked Maxim.

: I said no, so the answer is NO!

: You don't trust Maxim, is that it? Is the bond between you so weak?

: That's not true!

: Why don't you prove it to me?

: What?

: South across the ocean stands the city of Durale. The "Tower of Truth is west of the city. There, you can see the truth. I'll be waiting. If you have the courage, come see me.

: Iris seemed...different. Definitely not her usual self.

: Do you know her that well, Maxim? You're quite the flirt!

: No, it's not like that!

: Maxim! Are you by any chance...!?

: Not you too, Selan? Don't be silly, ok?

: She's not being silly, Maxim. People can change, you know.

: Artea!

: Hmm. He just added fuel to the flames. Deep. Elves' jokes are really deep.

: Maxim! We're heading for Durale, alright! NOWHERE ELSE!

: Ok, ok!

Sure! It's not like there's a guy flying around attacking villages or anything.

Before we head out to prove Maxim and Selan's relationship via magical bullshit, we've a couple of curses to lift.

The Evil Jewel goes from 120 attack to 80, but uncursing it changes its IP attack from Perish to an all-enemy shadow magic attack. Pretty powerful too.

Meanwhile, the Cursed Bow turns into Arty's Bow, with significantly improved stats, an IP that negates a Mirror spell on an enemy, and no friendly-fire tendencies. Oh, and it also attacks the entire enemy team.

We've already visited Durale. That's the city that wasn't selling to us earlier. So without further ado...

Well, at least she didn't ditch us this time.

So that's the basic premise. If you don't see yourself in the mirror, you're a dirty stinking liar.

Yeah, when this is the biggest concern on the minds of its citizens, there's not much to Durale.

Armor's pretty generic too. Just buying bigger numbers.

Although the Gauntlet has a pretty neat effect to it. When they say "punch attacks" what they mean is that you temporarily get resistance to all physical attacks. Depending on the enemy, that could be pretty vital.

On the magic side, we get the second dark magic spell and the second light magic spell. You can understand why it wouldn't make thematic sense for Artea to be using Shadow magic. Though I'm not sure what that says about Selan and Maxim.

Zap is Fry but with a slightly different effect and a bit more damage. Still looks completely unfitting.

And here we are at the Tower of Truth. This one's not quite so involved as the previous dungeon.

No insta-kill enemies in this dungeon, but they've been replaced with a potentially deadlier threat.

Sirens (I'm not even bothering with the silly name) have four songs that inflict different status ailments like sleep, paralysis, or confusion. And yes, they DO stack with one another.

They're individually pretty weak, so Artea's fancy new bow shines here. If you let them get a turn, things can go south very quickly.

Not much to say about these guys, other than that they've got 928 HP each. Even for an overleveled party, it takes a while to wear them down.

So, puzzles. The new thing for this dungeon is these scaling notes that unlock doors.

The notes pop up from left to right, so all you have to do is step on them in the right order to open the doors.

Each door has its own set of notes to unlock it, and we're interested in going right, so in this case, it's 3 2 1 4, counting from the left.

Along the way, we encounter Sea Hydras. They're like regular Hydras, only their attacks are water-based.

How very fortunate for us.

Otherwise, we just have to pull this lever to raise a column that we can hook on, but only once we walk all the way back around to get to the lower left platform.

This seems like padding, but it's short enough that it doesn't matter in the long run.

The siren in this room matches our movements back and forth, to the point she actually snaps into position if you freeze her with something. It's weird to watch.

Hey, remember these cannonballs with eyes? They still force us against the wall if we pass their gaze, so we still have to raise pillars to block them.

It's nothing that we haven't done before. Just flip the switch for every cannonball, and the path should be pretty obvious.

The outside portion is a straight shot to the top, but we need the key first. We'll have to take it floor by floor.

Third floor! Treasures and monsters!

And I mean monsters. This dungeon has perhaps the thickest density of baddies that I've seen to date. This isn't even the worst of it.

It does give me a perfect opportunity to demonstrate the problems inherent with Sirens.

There is nothing more dangerous in this game than your own teammates. It's only by virtue of being Guy that he even survived this.

The big new enemy of the dungeon is the Cyclops.

Their main claim to fame is having 1200+ HP, which just makes them a chore to chew through, more than anything.

So I insta-kill them instead. Saves a lot of time.

You probably noticed the hole in the floor. Onward!

Right after we get this big lout out of the way.

I think I might need to purge my inventory at some point.

Wouldn't you know it, but the Super Sword is identical stat-for-stat with the Freeze Sword. It really all depends on whether you like Light or Cold damage.

Hint: One of those damage types is almost universally not blocked.

What frosts me about this particular weapon is that getting it puts you back quite a ways. You have to redo the entire second floor to get back to the outside area.

Maybe this floor will be better.

What this means is that due to the nature of the room we're about to see, only one of these two note patterns is actually possible.

That's because those buttons on the sides will reset the puzzle and the pillars, when they pop up, will block off access to the note in the middle.

You see? We're almost there, but how are we supposed to get the last note without walking over the buttons?

Well, they may be note pillars, but they're still pillars.

And there we go!

This next one is mostly a question of trial and error.

Opening the other door involves placing the lower left pot on the lower right panel. Nothing else to it.

So it turns out I was wrong about Mimics only appearing in the Ancient Cave.

It's just this one chest though, and it still waits for you to try opening it. So effectively, Mimics are Ancient Cave-only.

Moreover, this path just puts you out on the main path on the third floor, so it's a waste of time in general.

The left path, on the other hand...

Still no clue what this is.

And now...welcome to hell!

This dungeon doesn't have any healing pads in it, and Artea doesn't know Absorb, so if you try to fight your way through this mess, you're looking at a massive drain of resources and time.

Believe it or not, this is all the remaining gear for this dungeon. They just tucked most of it away in a corner.

As you might expect, this has a 2.5% chance of dropping from Sirens.

Spooky.

Despite the ominous flavor, the Ghostclothes are perfectly harmless. In fact, everyone can equip them and they block Confusion.

Equally harmless, the Ghost Ring has a hilarious amount of MGR behind it and blocks instant death. This tower is curse-free.

Finally, the Song Rock is only equippable by Selan and has piss-poor stats. Its only real use is its IP, which costs 1/3 of the bar and only works 25% of the time. I'll pass, thank you.

The rest of this dungeon is weaving through hordes of large foes, making liberal use of arrow stuns.

Oh, and this puzzle too.

Using nothing but a pot and a box, we have to navigate across a series of bridges to the end.

I should have experimented to see if you could shove a block over the bridges, but we'll need to shove this onto the top button halfway through.

The last step of this room involves bombing the box in order to raise the last bridge. That makes me nostalgic.

Now that we've gotten the key, all that we have to do is...

...Make our way through the monster gauntlet again.

Really game? You give two or three shortcuts back for everything else, but we have to walk through the monsters twice?

We're done here.

Or not.

If I see another room of monsters that big, I am just going to arrow everything.

: The Mirror of Truth lies through this door. If the feelings you have for Maxim is real, your figure should appear in the mirror.

: In a minute. First, what was it you wanted to ask Maxim?

: What Maxim feels for you and you for him. Do you really love each other?

: My feelings for Maxim are true. Maxim, how about you?

: Would you like to go in, Selan?

: Yes.

: Who are you.

: I am Artea.

: Elf...aren't you?

: Yes. I live longer than humans and sense certain patterns of energy that humans cannot.

: {......}

: Would you answer my question?

: I am not trying to push them. I just wanted to know the truth.

: The truth?

: Yes, the truth...It's my mission to know the truth.

: ......

: Maxim...I'm sorry for getting you involved in such a mess.

: Selan...you trust me, don't you?

: Of course I do!

: I trust you, too. But here I am just because Iris said something that...It's so funny. I trust the words of my beloved, yet the words of a stranger bother me.

: ----!

: Selan, even if your figure doesn't show in the mirror, I trust you.

: I would have lost faith in you if your figure hadn't shown in the mirror. How absurd.

: I trust you more than...this shiny peace of untrustworthy mirror.

: Selan...

: Let's go back, Maxim. I know what I feel.

: Monsters are coming! Please get back!

Yup.

How did those things even get in the door?

These White Dragons have 550 HP apiece, which is really nothing. Especially since they're weak to Fire.

Where you might run into trouble is with their attacks. They can dish it out, and there's three of them. It's to your benefit, therefore, to end it as soon as possible.

And wouldn't you know it, but they managed to do just enough to not kill him but incite him to run. I've never seen that happen before.

The battle itself isn't very noteworthy, but I did notice this oddity. Apparently the damage reduction from the Old Shield isn't 50, it's 50%! And healing is damage, somehow.

(No music for this next part)

: But the mirror's broken.

: Well, this can't be used anymore.

: That's ok, too, I guess.

: By the way, how about you two? Did you see yourselves in the mirror?

: We changed our minds. Isn't that right, Maxim?

: Yeah.

: Too bad.

: Yeah, where is she?

: The monsters didn't get her, did they?

: Oh, right. You didn't know. She's strong, her magic spells are awesome. Monsters can't defeat her.

: Is that so? Her spells are that strong?

: I guess something's up with her. She always suddenly appears and suddenly disappears.

: ......

: Let's go back to the village, Maxim.

: Yeah.

: No, they've always felt that way towards each other.

: {There's no stopping.. Only when one of them is no more can the answer be known.}

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 9, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
DUN DUN DUN!

Or not, if you watched the intro...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Even if you did, the fact that Iris is apparently a Sinistral is still new.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
See, this is what I really like about the game - the relationships between characters and how they're shown to the player. Sure, they could have had the both of them look into the mirror and then reconciled but instead they trusted each other without it, talked it out like the mature adults they are and moved forward together. Then the game shows us - but not them - that their belief in each other is truly real by giving us (and Iris) a glimpse of the mirror, hammering home that these two truly love each other. They never once needed to look into the mirror to understand that but the developers still let us see (sating our curiosity) and showed us that the mirror is 'true'. Thus, when it shows Iris in the mirror afterwards, we know that it's a true reflection as well, and the mystery deepens, especially if you skipped through the intro scene or didn't pay attention. ^.^

Small details count~

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always forget about the limited inventory in this game. It really sucks if you're me and even though I've played through this game many times and, WHAT IF I NEED THAT FIRE DAGGER?!-itis. It's an offshoot of WHAT IF THERE'S A STRONGER BOSS AND I USED MY MEGAELIXER FOR NOTHING?!-itis.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I always forget about the limited inventory in this game. It really sucks if you're me and even though I've played through this game many times and, WHAT IF I NEED THAT FIRE DAGGER?!-itis. It's an offshoot of WHAT IF THERE'S A STRONGER BOSS AND I USED MY MEGAELIXER FOR NOTHING?!-itis.

I've found that the only time you don't sell equipment is when it's starter equipment that you can't get anywhere else since you never know when you might need it for some crafting thing.

As for healing items: In most JRPGs, MP is a much more precious resource than HP, but you should also not be afraid of replenishing it if you need to, since most games nowdays are balanced with the idea that you burn through your restoratives consistently and don't do silly things like grind for levels or make life harder by not using any magic, ever.

Regarding the Iris reveal: God drat I never noticed how shamelessly the game forced this dungeon on you. Might as well have had big flashing neon letters in the mirror spelling out "THIS IS IMPORTANT" at the end there. You literally take a detour from saving the world just so that the mysterious prophet character can spell out her alter-ego to the player. It's weirdly meta.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 10, 2015

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

KataraniSword posted:

Regarding the Iris reveal: God drat I never noticed how shamelessly the game forced this dungeon on you. Might as well have had big flashing neon letters in the mirror spelling out "THIS IS IMPORTANT" at the end there. You literally take a detour from saving the world just so that the mysterious prophet character can spell out her alter-ego to the player. It's weirdly meta.

Iris always has had that feel, for me, of playing a D&D campaign and having the DM's pet NPC follow you around, helping you out, railroading you the way the DM wants you to go, and ultimately having a big reveal scene, much like this one, where she's (because it's always a she) revealed to be EVEN MORE super important than she was to begin with.

Yet unlike every other instance of that happening, I still kinda actually really like Iris as a character.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah, count me as one of the people who likes that scene with Selan and Maxim.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It is a strange detour but it has nice character moments as compensation. At least now we enter the last stretch of the game.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The inventory space is huge, I don't understand how anybody could have a problem with it. Just sell old weapons and armor, that also lets you avoid some of the grinding for cash you would otherwise have to do. I'm usually keeping all jewels and rings, and even then I always have a ton of space left.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Torrannor posted:

The inventory space is huge, I don't understand how anybody could have a problem with it. Just sell old weapons and armor, that also lets you avoid some of the grinding for cash you would otherwise have to do. I'm usually keeping all jewels and rings, and even then I always have a ton of space left.

Yeah, I've mentioned this before, but until doing this LP, I didn't even know there was an inventory limit at all. I usually just sold my old crap or fed it to whichever CM I was focusing on. With four times the usual gold, I haven't needed to do that.

Update should be a little late. I'm studying for my final on Tuesday. After this week, I'll be done for the semester.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's been so long since I last played this game that any time she came up, I was like, "Wait... Isn't Iris not really who she seems to be? drat... I can't remember...". Probably doesn't help that I'm an old man now... :corsair:

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
When you don't have as much gold, most people either sold old stuff or fed it to CMs.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Torrannor posted:

It is a strange detour but it has nice character moments as compensation. At least now we enter the last stretch of the game.

For some reason, a long time ago, I got it into my head that once you could afford everything in the new town without selling old equipment, you were ready to move forward. Then I played Legend of Legaia and said "gently caress that".

For this game, it tends to be the stat potions I hoard until Artea joins, the Charred Newts that I never get around to selling. The healing potions that the game loves to throw at you and that I always forget to sell because MP isn't much of an issue in this game, the rings, all of which vary in usefulness, the rocks that I seem to be really lucky getting, and the useful IP's. It never becomes an issue until about Artea joins, maybe a little later. Unless I'm playing Retry like Blastinus is, in which case you actually never need to sell anything and thus it slips my mind.

Seriously. Look at his gold amounts. You're swimming in it at all times in Retry mode.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
I've found that if you spend a lot of time grinding the ancient cave, inventory management becomes a real chore. Its tough to remember what items you want to hold onto for future cave diving trips and which ones are junk to be sold/fed. And by the end game there are enough cool and unique pieces of equipment that space does get tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Thing is, Lufia is an easy enough game even on regular difficulty. At most, you only need a few extra weapons, rings, and jewels. Maaaaaaybe a couple extra armor-type pieces with exceptionally good abilities, but even then, meh.

• Locked thread