Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
On the FFG forum the guy who is usually right about rumors is saying May 12th for wave 1 to ship to retaillers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
Does anyone have any tips about playing with the starter set? My games tend to end up more or less the same where the TIE's die like chumps if they try to do anything except screen the Destroyer, the Destroyer can take most of the abuse the rebels can throw at it for 6 rounds and getting caught in the Destroyers front arc is a death sentence for either ship. Most games tend to go towards the Empire simply because the Destroyer is so durable.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Engaging from the side/rear arcs at medium to long range is your best bet. It doesn't throw nearly as many dice on the sides and at medium to long range evade+brace as a combo is usually enough to deal with the incoming damage.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Does anyone have any tips about playing with the starter set? My games tend to end up more or less the same where the TIE's die like chumps if they try to do anything except screen the Destroyer, the Destroyer can take most of the abuse the rebels can throw at it for 6 rounds and getting caught in the Destroyers front arc is a death sentence for either ship. Most games tend to go towards the Empire simply because the Destroyer is so durable.

At long range the Neb B has exactly the same firepower as the VSD from the front. Don't underestimate it, just be very aware of your sides and make sure you are both very clear on the line of sight rules.

Start playing with objectives.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Wayland Games UK showing a countdown until the Nebulon releases as 16 hours.

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/pre-orders/18425-star-wars-armada-nebulon-b-frigate-expansion-pack

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, I just got my copy of Armada today and it's super rad. What are people planning to use for storage? I use a Plano case for my X-Wing stuff, but I'm not sure what to do for Armada. Any recommendations?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, I just got my copy of Armada today and it's super rad. What are people planning to use for storage? I use a Plano case for my X-Wing stuff, but I'm not sure what to do for Armada. Any recommendations?

FishFood posted:

I'm planning on getting this here backpack and pluck foam inserts. Should be easy to customize with the pluck foam inserts, uses foam so stuff won't bang around as much, and I don't have to give any money to the battlefoam dude. I'm probably going to wait until Wave 1 hits before I pull the trigger on that, so I can get all the heights I need and such.

I just ordered this and a some of the pluck foam inserts of various heights, I'll get a report up when it arrives along with the wave I stuff I'm getting. It was a little pricy, but muuuuuch cheaper than that battlefoam stuff. I do think that foam will be good to have with Armada, the miniatures seem a bit more delicate than X-Wing.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
The pluck foam I have sitting around for 40k unit transportation is more than adequate for Armada, and the tokens, cards, and dial all fit just fine in a little locking Plano case. I swap the same cases out for X-Wing, Armada, and Warhammer with no issues.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

A worker at the local game store made some tuck boxes for all the ships, and just stored everything in the game box. I need to ask where he got the templates from, because it looks like it works perfectly for the squadrons.

While storing everything in the box might not work long term, making the boxes for the squadroms will probably keep them from rattling around much in any storage.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Orvin posted:

A worker at the local game store made some tuck boxes for all the ships, and just stored everything in the game box. I need to ask where he got the templates from, because it looks like it works perfectly for the squadrons.

While storing everything in the box might not work long term, making the boxes for the squadroms will probably keep them from rattling around much in any storage.

Likely this SirWillibald dude on BGG

Card boxes
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/116182/tuckboxcollection

Hangars
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/115972/microhangars-gearboxes

Might be more, but he hosts everything on BGG, he's current working on some neat foldable organizers for ship cards and tokens to keep everything together

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Likely this SirWillibald dude on BGG

Card boxes
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/116182/tuckboxcollection

Hangars
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/115972/microhangars-gearboxes

Might be more, but he hosts everything on BGG, he's current working on some neat foldable organizers for ship cards and tokens to keep everything together

He has, in fact, already made those:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/117164/cardholders-carrierboxes

they look really cool. i might shanghai my cardboard pro buddy into making me a bunch.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I made a damage card box from basic card stock leftover from our wedding invitations years ago and it went together well. We'll see how my terrible folding and gluing skills hold it together.

I use a Plano case with a deep stowaway box trimmed out for the Vic. It's nice because it's kind of modular.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

FishFood posted:

I just ordered this and a some of the pluck foam inserts of various heights, I'll get a report up when it arrives along with the wave I stuff I'm getting. It was a little pricy, but muuuuuch cheaper than that battlefoam stuff. I do think that foam will be good to have with Armada, the miniatures seem a bit more delicate than X-Wing.
I really want to know more about these, but even the manufacturer's website is pretty lacking in details.

I've never bought any "pluck foam" stuff before, so maybe these are all things that are assumed... but I can't even find youtube videos on this particular brand of stuff (just lots of battlefoam, and gun/knife collectors).

Do the foam pieces "tear" out when you pluck them, or are they just held in place by friction from their neighbors? If you pull them out, are they out for good, or can you reconfigure stuff if you made a mistake?

What is the size of the "grid"? From their pictures, I'd guess around 1cm or so, but they don't actually specify it anywhere, even though they give pretty precise measurements for the overall size of the trays.

If anyone already has these, what are ideal tray sizes for X-Wing? Is a 1.5inch tray high enough for most ships?

I'm really interested in buying these, but I need more information before I commit $80+ to a set.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

FuSchnick posted:

I really want to know more about these, but even the manufacturer's website is pretty lacking in details.

I've never bought any "pluck foam" stuff before, so maybe these are all things that are assumed... but I can't even find youtube videos on this particular brand of stuff (just lots of battlefoam, and gun/knife collectors).

Do the foam pieces "tear" out when you pluck them, or are they just held in place by friction from their neighbors? If you pull them out, are they out for good, or can you reconfigure stuff if you made a mistake?

What is the size of the "grid"? From their pictures, I'd guess around 1cm or so, but they don't actually specify it anywhere, even though they give pretty precise measurements for the overall size of the trays.

If anyone already has these, what are ideal tray sizes for X-Wing? Is a 1.5inch tray high enough for most ships?

I'm really interested in buying these, but I need more information before I commit $80+ to a set.

If you want to get foam, hold out until KR puts out custom foam for Armada. They already have a bunch for xwang.

https://www.krmulticase.com

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Prefect Six posted:

If you want to get foam, hold out until KR puts out custom foam for Armada. They already have a bunch for xwang.

https://www.krmulticase.com
I put in just what I already have for X-Wing alone, and their "solution" is twice as expensive and a lot less flexible.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

FuSchnick posted:

I put in just what I already have for X-Wing alone, and their "solution" is twice as expensive and a lot less flexible.

KR's the best though

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

FuSchnick posted:

The foam trays and cardboard cases are super nice and the carrying cases are great. Everything fits snug and the backpack is super portable. Yes, you do pay for those features but the 40k/fantasy trays & carrying cases I have from KR are way better than battlefoam or sabol by a mile.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I've got an X-Wing question, just tried out the Scum and Villainy Boba Fett and I'm confused by his ability. Do I get to reroll when both attacking and defending in the same round? Can I reroll the full amount for both? Or like if I have 2 ships at range one I can reroll 2 dice between attacking and defending. I don't know if these are dumb questions, but I'd appreciate the help.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

I've got an X-Wing question, just tried out the Scum and Villainy Boba Fett and I'm confused by his ability. Do I get to reroll when both attacking and defending in the same round? Can I reroll the full amount for both? Or like if I have 2 ships at range one I can reroll 2 dice between attacking and defending. I don't know if these are dumb questions, but I'd appreciate the help.

Reroll as many red dice as you want for each enemy ship at range 1 of scum fett when you attack and do the same thing with green dice on the defensive.

For future ref the X-Wing thread is located here

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 10, 2015

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore
So I placed 4th in the Imperial Assault Regional in Milwaukee, WI yesterday:

Luke
Chewbacca
Gideon
Mak
Elite Rebel Troopers

Notably, I was the only one with Chewbacca in my list and in-fact every list was pretty distinct. Honestly I got lucky because I got a first-round bye but I'm pretty happy with the stuff I got.

But this post isn't about me, it's more about how horribly broken Royal Guard (and to a lesser extent, Imperial Officers) are.

This is the list that won:

4x Royal Guard
4x Imperial Officer

The only lists that got reasonably close to beating it were a Droid Detonation and an Elite Rebel Sabatour list. My key complaint is that Royal Guard are way too good for the price. Notably this person stated he bought 3 base sets and also had every skirmish map with all the tile pieces GLUED to foamcore.

My list got tabled by this list in the round of 4 (which was Raiding Party), and then in the 2nd round both games were mostly won by royal guard and officers pushing the 15 point objectives around in the Smuggled Goods scenario. In the final game the 2nd place winner basically gave up after round 1. That game made me wonder why Gideon really doesn't give you the same 'bang for the buck' that an Imperial officer does.

I'm really curious how FF never missed this in playtesting, again. They never saw TIE Swarms coming in X-Wing either.

I guess the Wookies will be the 'solution' for alternate lists in the future but I'm not sure Royal Guard can be fixed in their current state. Possibly the best bet is to say 'every card is limit:2' to encourage list diversity or it's going to be a 'power creep' method to balance it out and just about every base set unit will be left in the dust.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Ran through a few games of Armada and it seems that it's almost impossible for the Rebels without a decent Objective in play. The fact that a lucky battery from the Victory can all but vaporize the CR90 means the game can swing hard against the Rebs very suddenly. Hopefully Waves 1 & 2 will fix that issue.

That said I think the game is great and it scratches an itch that's been there since Battlefleet Gothic faded into the mist. The addition of dice that never miss is fantastic and turns attack and defense into a more strategic game of risk and resource management. Compare this to something like Firestorm Armada which, while a fun game with great models, can often come down to "roll 6's to win".

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Ran through a few games of Armada and it seems that it's almost impossible for the Rebels without a decent Objective in play. The fact that a lucky battery from the Victory can all but vaporize the CR90 means the game can swing hard against the Rebs very suddenly. Hopefully Waves 1 & 2 will fix that issue.

That said I think the game is great and it scratches an itch that's been there since Battlefleet Gothic faded into the mist. The addition of dice that never miss is fantastic and turns attack and defense into a more strategic game of risk and resource management. Compare this to something like Firestorm Armada which, while a fun game with great models, can often come down to "roll 6's to win".

I've played twice and the Rebels won both times. The Victory has a hard time getting a frontal arc on the Rebs and they can get behind it easily. No one has run enough games yet to know I think.

That said, get wave one out already!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

LordLobo posted:

So I placed 4th in the Imperial Assault Regional in Milwaukee, WI yesterday:

Luke
Chewbacca
Gideon
Mak
Elite Rebel Troopers

Notably, I was the only one with Chewbacca in my list and in-fact every list was pretty distinct. Honestly I got lucky because I got a first-round bye but I'm pretty happy with the stuff I got.

But this post isn't about me, it's more about how horribly broken Royal Guard (and to a lesser extent, Imperial Officers) are.

This is the list that won:

4x Royal Guard
4x Imperial Officer

The only lists that got reasonably close to beating it were a Droid Detonation and an Elite Rebel Sabatour list. My key complaint is that Royal Guard are way too good for the price. Notably this person stated he bought 3 base sets and also had every skirmish map with all the tile pieces GLUED to foamcore.

My list got tabled by this list in the round of 4 (which was Raiding Party), and then in the 2nd round both games were mostly won by royal guard and officers pushing the 15 point objectives around in the Smuggled Goods scenario. In the final game the 2nd place winner basically gave up after round 1. That game made me wonder why Gideon really doesn't give you the same 'bang for the buck' that an Imperial officer does.

I'm really curious how FF never missed this in playtesting, again. They never saw TIE Swarms coming in X-Wing either.

I guess the Wookies will be the 'solution' for alternate lists in the future but I'm not sure Royal Guard can be fixed in their current state. Possibly the best bet is to say 'every card is limit:2' to encourage list diversity or it's going to be a 'power creep' method to balance it out and just about every base set unit will be left in the dust.

Having the same issues with officers and royal guards here. Not sure what to do about it, especially as someone interested in playing rebels

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
What are you all doing to have Rebels win games? Between the Royal Guard, AT-ST, and Vader (not to mention those drat officers,) I don't see the "value" pieces in Rebels.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Not Keyser Soze posted:

With just the core set components, a big strength for the rebels is how massively X-Wings outclass TIEs. The VSD is virtually powerless to stop them by itself. If you can remove the TIE screens early, they can buzz around the VSD and just keep peppering it. Once some crits sneak through it gets ugly.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

FuSchnick posted:

With just the core set components, a big strength for the rebels is how massively X-Wings outclass TIEs. The VSD is virtually powerless to stop them by itself. If you can remove the TIE screens early, they can buzz around the VSD and just keep peppering it. Once some crits sneak through it gets ugly.

This. With such a limited set of ships in play the Rebels have the edge in Starfighters while the Imperials live or die with their big brick of a ship. Rebels need to use their mobility while thinning out the TIE swarm then wear down the VSD. Once more variety of ships come through things will change abruptly as Imperials gain smaller options and Rebels start to up-gun.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Yeah the wave 2 rebel stuff looks pretty terrifying. The Mon Cal cruiser has the front armament of a VSD on each side and more shields than an ISD.

All the scuttlebutt is that barring further delays the wave 1 stuff should be out on the 12th of this month which is great news as it adds more squadron variety, a faster ship for the imperials and a slugger for the rebels.

I really just want to play more games. I've had a look at some 300 point builds and being able to pack in a VSD1, VSD2 and a GSD2 with some tie support seems pretty cool. OTOH a super upgraded VSD2 and GSD2 with a bigger tieswarm also seems like it could do some work. The rebel choices get even more interesting with 3 ships to choose from.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
My friend and I were pouring over the preview pictures for Wave 2 and our current prediction is that the Imperial-class Commander card is poor, doomed Captain Needa and either he or his ship card, the Avenger, grants the Evasion token pictured in the Star Destroyer preview (on account of his dodging asteroids in ESB).

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I got Armada last week and went through the demo setup. Dropping the frigate was a simple enough matter; I pointed the star destroyer at it and cranked down my speed, getting a couple of rounds with it in my forward arc as it passed and it just melted. Unfortunately the X-wings tore up my TIEs despite the numeric disadvantage and the corvette got around behind me while I was taking out the frigate. I won in point value at the end, but was in a pretty bad position; had the game gone another couple of turns he probably would've won.

What I took from this is that non-hero TIEs suck miserably and often lose a squadron from a single attack; I can't wait for the fighter packs to come out so I can proceed to never use TIEs again and stock up on some interceptors, advanceds, and bombers.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The purpose of vanilla TIEs in Armada seems to be to take advantage of the Engagement rules and just use them as a tar pit. They exist to tie up enemy squads while your big ship shoots the hell out of stuff.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Some of the objectives are nuts for the Rebels. The one that gives you an extra dice when attacking the rear of an elected ship works for EVERYTHING, including all your x-wings. The Intel-Sweep objective is a trap card and is an instant win for rebels. The objective that gives you half the cost of a ship in VP's for putting one damage on an elected enemy ship is another easy win. Dodonna's Pride a crit onto the VSD and run away,

Stop playing games without objectives!

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I have the urge to run a possible New Republic fleet composition once more waves are in - Star Destroyers and rebel fighters with strictly rebel commanders/captains.

Do wonder if that may be broken, or are the ships/fighters balanced on points individually rather than as a factional whole.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Weissritter posted:

I have the urge to run a possible New Republic fleet composition once more waves are in - Star Destroyers and rebel fighters with strictly rebel commanders/captains.

Do wonder if that may be broken, or are the ships/fighters balanced on points individually rather than as a factional whole.

If you win every game and people refuse to play you, then you will know... ;)

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Armada FAQ got released. Some of the rules clarifications are pretty exciting. A couple make the VSD1 a little more appealing.

If you have an effect that lets you add a dice to your attack pool, you can add any colour of dice your firing arc can use no matter the range.

The damage from Assault Concussion Missiles cannot be mitigated by a brace command as it happens After the step that a player can use a token.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/7d/99/7d997d2d-ba95-4164-aaec-5f085521e615/armada_faq_v10.pdf

Lots of interesting little notes there.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 11, 2015

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Do assault concussion missiles trigger on every black critical, or just the first one?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Only one critical effect per attack. So if you roll three criticals only one works and the rest are regular damage. That also means wtih the missile you can either resolve a crit or you can resolve the missiles special.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

An idiot was here

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 11, 2015

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Some of those Armada rules clarifications are really useful. The one about Yularen in particular.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Not Keyser Soze posted:

My tactics so far with rebs involve never taking luke. And not going after the vsd. Stay at the vsd long range or out of range based on where it sends his fighters. Focus down the fighters and try to not lose your own. Complete objectives if you can.

So far everygame I have played was decided on fighter kills. The two I lost were due to losing luke. But thats just my small groups meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Phrosphor posted:

Also some really important timing stuff, you add/remove/re-roll dice AFTER the defender has chosen and used his defensive abilities.

I don't see how this is the case. I read the FAQ as implying that the Assault Concussion Missiles' 1 damage done to each hull zone is done separately from the attack pool, and page 16 of the L2P guide clearly shows in an attack example in which a Concentrate Fire dial is used to add a blue die before the opponent selects his Brace Token. Am I missing something?