Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Did Constantine get really good after the pilot? Why are people trying so hard to give it a second chance?

Also Hell's Kitchen looks way bigger than I imagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I thought the rest of the series was better than the pilot, but I also didn't think the pilot was terrible. So far the loudest criticisms I have heard have been from Hellblazer fans who seem to have awoken from comas thinking their favorite comic was going to get special treatment and be adapted more perfectly than almost any comic to date. As far as shows based on comic book properties, it wasn't bad by almost any stretch. It certainly wasn't worse than Flash or Arrow.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ToastyPotato posted:

They should resolve the coming darkness plot first if they were coming back. They could easily kill Zed during that plot, or get rid of her some other way if everyone hated her that much. Apparently they had Doctor Fate stuff planned for the second half of the first season as well. :(

It would be funny and cool if they literally just opened the first episode exactly the same as the old show, with John in the institution, the Coming Darkness was resolved off screen, and everyone but john died leaving him free to do whatever. It would be a fun opening and a nice meta-commentary on the old show being rebooted. Similar to how the events of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie are obliquely alluded to in episode one of the series.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Error 404 posted:

It would be funny and cool if they literally just opened the first episode exactly the same as the old show, with John in the institution, the Coming Darkness was resolved off screen, and everyone but john died leaving him free to do whatever. It would be a fun opening and a nice meta-commentary on the old show being rebooted. Similar to how the events of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie are obliquely alluded to in episode one of the series.

While I can agree that would be pretty interesting to do, the fact of the matter is that it would create a poo poo storm amongst its fans, handicapping an already limping show. It would be awesome though.

Did they ever explicitly give any dates on season 1? It would be cool if it was revealed that it happened a couple of years ago, and that we'd only get some hints and flashbacks to how it all went down as the show progressed. But like I said. Shitstorm. I mean, look at how much people hated the Young Justice time skip.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Just imagine if the CW picks it up. Ollie versus Etrigan!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Scyantific posted:

"My name is John Constantine and I am the most British man alive..."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Scyantific posted:

Yarva Demonicus Queen.
Change, change the form of man.
Free the playboy forever damned.
The guy that all the ladies desire..
Salmon Ladder in heart of fire.
Gone, gone the form obscene,
Rise the archer Ollie Queen!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

TwoPair posted:

"My name is John Constantine and I am the most British man alive..."

I spent 45 years on a hellish island...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Seeing that Flash already bought super powers to the Arrowverse I would be keen on Constantine bringing the supernatural too. Like others have said you can introduce Etrigan, as well as opening a while new world of characters.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I can't imagine the CW taking on a show that is so similar to Supernatural though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like Agent Carter Season 2 takes place in Los Angeles.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I detect a lack of Cal in that press release. This is a travesty!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

I can't imagine the CW taking on a show that is so similar to Supernatural though.

Didn't they/don't they have two vampire shows running at the same time? Having two similar shows has never been an issue for CW.

Well this saves money on having to recreate 40s New York Skylines. Also, isn't that fake New York film lot in LA anyway? Might as well cut out all pretenses. Filming NY period pieces for TV is just not worth the money these days.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just like True Detective Season 2...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ToastyPotato posted:

Didn't they/don't they have two vampire shows running at the same time? Having two similar shows has never been an issue for CW.

Also, isn't Supernatural getting pretty long in the tooth? They're going into their eleventh season now, and surely they can't have that much left in the tank. I'm guessing that if they do pick up Constantine it'll be to set the show up as a successor series to Supernatural.

That's a big if, though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

jng2058 posted:

Also, isn't Supernatural getting pretty long in the tooth? They're going into their eleventh season now, and surely they can't have that much left in the tank. I'm guessing that if they do pick up Constantine it'll be to set the show up as a successor series to Supernatural.

That's a big if, though.

CW is not in a position to cancel any show that is doing well for them. As long as those guys keep signing on for more seasons and those seasons do well enough in the ratings to justify paying for them, they will get made.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

One is a spinoff from the other.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

One is a spinoff from the other.

That doesn't really matter. Saying you can't have two "supernatural-esque" shows on the schedule when you have two vampire shows on the schedule (regardless of where the second one came from) is kind of silly. CBS has 2 or 3 NCISes and as many CSIs. People will watch what they feel like watching. They aren't going to go "Oh I watch and love Supernatural, therefore I simply cannot watch another show remotely like it."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

That doesn't really matter. Saying you can't have two "supernatural-esque" shows on the schedule when you have two vampire shows on the schedule (regardless of where the second one came from) is kind of silly. CBS has 2 or 3 NCISes and as many CSIs. People will watch what they feel like watching. They aren't going to go "Oh I watch and love Supernatural, therefore I simply cannot watch another show remotely like it."

If anything those viewers would be more likely to watch it. Especially if they used Supernatural as a lead-in (I don't know what follows Supernatural right now because I don't follow that show). A lot of viewers are particular about genre of shows*, at least in my experience.

*We all know a guy who only watches police procedurals, or only sci-fi shows.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah. The only argument to be made is that they would be spreading their already small audience too thin by forcing them to choose between more CW shows and other, bigger network options. But if CW continues to do well moving in the direction it is moving in, Constantine is not likely to hurt it at all. (Granted, it would be Constantine with a lower budget overall, most likely.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Constantine isn't going to be picked up by anyone. The show is dead.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Constantine isn't going to be picked up by anyone. The show is dead.

Yes that is what is most *likely* to happen. You don't get any internet points for stating this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do I get points for knowing this would happen from the moment the show was announced :kiddo:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

Do I get points for knowing this would happen from the moment the show was announced :kiddo:

I think most people knew a Constantine show called Constantine on NBC on Fridays was going to be a long shot in terms of success. So, unfortunately, nope! You took the sure bet! You get NOTHING!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Shame really, because John himself was perfectly cast.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So much poo poo crammed into tonight's Flash episode :flashfap:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Shame really, because John himself was perfectly cast.

I bought 'Assassin's Creed 4 during a Steam sale a long time ago and only just staryed playing it. It was really fun to find out I get to play as Pirate John Constantine.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Scyantific posted:

So much poo poo crammed into tonight's Flash episode :flashfap:

Haven't watched it yet, was tonight the finale? Or next week?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Haven't watched it yet, was tonight the finale? Or next week?

Next week is the finale, but tonight is setting up for that, and it did a stellar job.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Next week is the finale, but tonight is setting up for that, and it did a stellar job.

Tonight felt like it could have easily been part of the finale itself. It was a fun episode.

SHIELD finale was good. That damned end tag just had to leave us hanging. :argh:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

SHIELD was incredible. If you bailed in the first season, please watch Season 2. It's great television.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So in comics, whenever they introduce a serum or potion of some kind, they never even start explaining what's in it because it's comic book super science and only very specific fictional geniuses are supposed to even know how it works. Makes sense.

On tonight's SHIELD, they explained what Mr. Hyde's formula is made of. Gorilla testosterone, crystal meth and a dash of peppermint, with the powers kicking in after taking electric paddles to the chest and an adrenaline injection. That... sounds like a party :stare:

Meanwhile, Hyde is my favorite MCU villain. He's like a Batman '66 villain in a modern Marvel setting and it's so loving absurd and amazing.

Tonight also gave us the most badass line from Mack.

*Gordon the teleporter appears with Mack sitting across from him, holding an axe*
"It's Gordon, right?"
"Yes. And you are?"
"I'm the guy who kills Gordon."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Flash's episode felt like two episodes smashed into one, which is a shame because it felt like they could have dealt with the two storylines in 2 seperate complete episodes. Sadly more time was spent on the Rogues and too little time spent on Reverse Flash.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Madkal posted:

Flash's episode felt like two episodes smashed into one, which is a shame because it felt like they could have dealt with the two storylines in 2 seperate complete episodes. Sadly more time was spent on the Rogues and too little time spent on Reverse Flash.

This is true. I am hoping that the finale has more Reverse Flash stuff because that was pretty rushed given all of the build up.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gavok posted:

So in comics, whenever they introduce a serum or potion of some kind, they never even start explaining what's in it because it's comic book super science and only very specific fictional geniuses are supposed to even know how it works. Makes sense.

On tonight's SHIELD, they explained what Mr. Hyde's formula is made of. Gorilla testosterone, crystal meth and a dash of peppermint, with the powers kicking in after taking electric paddles to the chest and an adrenaline injection. That... sounds like a party :stare:

Meanwhile, Hyde is my favorite MCU villain. He's like a Batman '66 villain in a modern Marvel setting and it's so loving absurd and amazing.

Tonight also gave us the most badass line from Mack.

*Gordon the teleporter appears with Mack sitting across from him, holding an axe*
"It's Gordon, right?"
"Yes. And you are?"
"I'm the guy who kills Gordon."

That might be the most badass line from Mack. The most badass line is by far "Science, beyotch"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Agreed. I was especially disappointed given that the previews made it look like the whole episode would basically be Reverse Flash, then they did a bait-and-switch and threw Rogues at us. I couldn't be too mad though when Captain Cold was in a bar and loving "Cold As Ice" came on the jukebox. Goddamn it's so cheesy I love it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The episode was called Rogue Air, that's hardly a switch.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Gavok posted:

So you're telling me that Mr. Hyde is in Agents of SHIELD, and he's played by Kyle MacLachlan? I may have to actually watch this show now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's great on it too. Unfortunately it's a spoiler that he's Hyde, because they built up to it kind of subtly for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lightning Lord posted:

So you're telling me that Mr. Hyde is in Agents of SHIELD, and he's played by Kyle MacLachlan? I may have to actually watch this show now.

You should probably watch the show. It found it's stride and is really really good.

Season 1 I'll grant you was pretty mediocre with some High spots until "End of the Beginning" and "Turn, Turn Turn"(Episode 16 and 17 IIRC) the Winter Solider stuff, along with the writers finally starting to nail writing these characters led to them salvaging the season. Season 2 was fantastic on all levels.

Ward who was the most generic rear end spy male protagonist ends up becoming the best member of the cast.