Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

that sucks, hopefully he & the kids got the help they needed

and idgaf what anyone says, someone who sees begging all day in the florida summer as a preferable alternative to minimum wage work probably needs help of some sort. most likely access to affordable daycare & a reasonable minimum wage, but good luck finding that in jesusland, lord knows jesus wouldn't want to help the poor, desperate, downtrodden, nor their children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I'm pretty sure Florida just sucks. Plus if someone can make more money panhandling than they can working an honest job with fair hours then some poo poo is clearly hosed. You can't convince me that sitting in the sun in FL getting heat stroke is an easier job than being a dishwasher 40 hrs a week.

Easier is relative. Being a dishwasher 40 hours a week means getting through an interview, some form of transportation, showing up on time, working well with other coworkers, taking orders from your rear end in a top hat boss, not drinking all day, and a dozen other qualities that dysfunctional people don't have.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
just for the record there are cities in Florida (St. Pete) where the cops literally roll into tent villages and slash the tents with razors, then leave. Nobody gives a gently caress about homeless people here. There's no real mass transportation to speak of; unless you have a 9 to 5 job near to a major road you can't really use our mass transportation to get to and from work.

There are a few huge homeless shelters that warehouse junkies at night and force them out during the day. Some of the church shelters even make the homeless do paid work for free at outside jobs like the loving Buccaneer's stadium, and then the church keeps the money for itself.

Unemployment maxes out at like $275 per week, if you don't have a steady job and a functioning car you're gonna die. Florida is the kind of place where the game's probably over if you end up on the street; good luck clawing your way to a dignified life without rich relatives or something.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Easier is relative. Being a dishwasher 40 hours a week means getting through an interview, some form of transportation, showing up on time, working well with other coworkers, taking orders from your rear end in a top hat boss, not drinking all day, and a dozen other qualities that dysfunctional people don't have.

yeah, working boh in a restraunant is a lot of manual labor, and most homeless have hooks for hands or wooden legs

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
theyre also always stealing and singing sea shantys

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

just for the record there are cities in Florida (St. Pete) where the cops literally roll into tent villages and slash the tents with razors, then leave. Nobody gives a gently caress about homeless people here. There's no real mass transportation to speak of; unless you have a 9 to 5 job near to a major road you can't really use our mass transportation to get to and from work.

There are a few huge homeless shelters that warehouse junkies at night and force them out during the day. Some of the church shelters even make the homeless do paid work for free at outside jobs like the loving Buccaneer's stadium, and then the church keeps the money for itself.

Unemployment maxes out at like $275 per week, if you don't have a steady job and a functioning car you're gonna die. Florida is the kind of place where the game's probably over if you end up on the street; good luck clawing your way to a dignified life without rich relatives or something.

Lol you're gonna hafta cite your sources here, the Pinellas County sheriff's office does the brunt of their outreach work at tent city in St Pete. I'm not sure what shelters you're referring to either wrt "making them do outside work and keeping the money" can you be specific? Also if you're talking about safe harbor by the jail, well yeah dude safe harbor is literally designed to be a last resort "I will die tonight bc it's gonna be 35 degrees and I have nowhere to go" type place. The other shelters are legit decent at helping someone genuinely trying to get back on their feet. I'm not saying the system here is perfect but it's definitely not as lovely as you're making it out to be

Ps plenty of shady assholes ie day labor companies pay min wage and then charge for poo poo like "equipment rental and transportation fees", that's a problem that isn't ready in the scope of the shelter system

E: also Pinellas suncoast transit authority is not THAT bad... Pinellas is easy as hell to navigate, it's a fuckin tiny Peninsula and the most densely populated County in the entire state

T.S. Smelliot fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 14, 2015

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrPdZmPB36U

http://www.tampabay.com/news/specials/tampa-homeless-program-uses-unpaid-destitute-residents-as-steady-labor/2208350

also PSTA and HART are loving useless if you need to get somewhere by a certain time. Even on the major roads you are lucky if the bus comes once per hour. If you can't get somewhere on one bus then good luck.

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
Every time me and my wife go to Atlanta for some big punk show, one of us ends up getting way too drunk. And every single time, some random homeless dude ends up giving us directions, flagging us a cab, helping us carry poo poo, and generally being honestly helpful. So yeah, I have no problem giving down-on-their-luck folk whatever's in my wallet.

And no, they've never stolen anything.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Hell yeah I do especially if they are already hosed up looking or holding a beer

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
also you may think that safe harbor is great but it's literally just warehousing the homeless next to the prison, and offering the barest minimum of services to not be seen as cruel. And safe harbor IS NOT the last resort, it's where homeless people get referred to by most local government agencies.

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
Also, I used to think that 3o was just a normal person who was unfairly demonized around here. But now I know that he's just an absolutely sheltered and lovely human being

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i give burritos to homeless people because all people deserve burritos imho

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i give them shovels and tell them to start digging then i stand behind them with my service pistol and shoot them in the head and they fall into the hole they just dug

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Look. Crack is one of the best things around, and I'm just glad when somebody out there gets to enjoy it.

You've got to sacrifice a lot to live the crackhead lifestyle, and I'm not in a position to do that, but to those who are, godspeed.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

also you may think that safe harbor is great but it's literally just warehousing the homeless next to the prison, and offering the barest minimum of services to not be seen as cruel. And safe harbor IS NOT the last resort, it's where homeless people get referred to by most local government agencies.

Never heard of the shelter in your last post but agreed it's sketchy as gently caress

Also no dude safe harbor has always been a last resort shithole but it's better than dying on the street lol

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
I don't always, but if I have the change on me I will. I'll give money to rspca/wildlife protection/cancer etc on the same principle, if I can spare it and it's readily available, why not.

I can see why some people get the shits with them but I don't think it's fair to assume the worst about all of them.

There's this one homeless girl in Brisbane, I remember seeing her about 10 years ago and she looked barely 16 selling those big issue magazines, over the years she went from some fresh faced girl who obviously was kicked out/had nowhere to go, to some ratty looking pregnant girl, to being in a paraplegic in a wheelchair. what a hosed life.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
yep, pretty much the only reason i carry change or cash at all anymore. i also give them drugs, food and condoms if i've got em. i've met a lot of interesting people and made a few friends doing it. homeless people are one of the few classes of people in NA who don't have their identities completely wrapped up in playing some idiotic social game of money, consumption, and peer approval, so generally i find them to be far more interesting and sincere than your average consumer drone. they also tend to have tons of hilarious/incredible stories too, you tend to see a lot of hosed poo poo when you're on the social fringes and always on the move i guess.

some of them have these bullshit elaborate sob stories all worked out for the take, and it's really easy to tell that they're reading from an internally worked out script that has worked for them in the past. it's pretty fun to go 'well that all sounds like complete bullshit, and that looks like a 40 under your jacket...so why don't you go get another breh?' and hand them a fiver.

Three Olives posted:

Actually giving money to homeless people is pretty loving selfish when you think about it, It makes you feel better about yourself for very little money or effort while it serves to further the homeless person's addictions and prevent them from seeking meaningful assistance to turn their life around.

not all homeless people are addicts, but even if they are, it's basically impossible to quit a serious substance addiction without a shitload of help. going through constant withdrawal on the streets is probably the worst thing that any human being could ever experience, in addition to being quite likely a death sentence. nobody is going to be able to 'seek meaningful assistance' (as if that even exists) when there are hallucinogenic bugs eating you alive and try to stand makes you go into seizures and you haven't been able to keep food down for two weeks. if i can make somebody's day a little better with the small bit of discretionary money i get that i have no real use for anyways, i consider it well spent.

there's also a small subset of homeless people who actually prefer to live that way, and it's hard not to sympathize. you only get one life, breaking your back in some poo poo job to further the goals of a broken, dying civilization that doesn't give a gently caress about you is no way to live it. once you realize all the plastic creature comforts and hilariously fragile electric toys you get in exchange for the stolen hours of your life will never make you happy, why not spend what little time you've got left on your feet under the stars, doing what you evolved to do in the first place?

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

splifyphus posted:

yep, pretty much the only reason i carry change or cash at all anymore. i also give them drugs, food and condoms if i've got em. i've met a lot of interesting people and made a few friends doing it. homeless people are one of the few classes of people in NA who don't have their identities completely wrapped up in playing some idiotic social game of money, consumption, and peer approval, so generally i find them to be far more interesting and sincere than your average consumer drone. they also tend to have tons of hilarious/incredible stories too, you tend to see a lot of hosed poo poo when you're on the social fringes and always on the move i guess.

some of them have these bullshit elaborate sob stories all worked out for the take, and it's really easy to tell that they're reading from an internally worked out script that has worked for them in the past. it's pretty fun to go 'well that all sounds like complete bullshit, and that looks like a 40 under your jacket...so why don't you go get another breh?' and hand them a fiver.

not all homeless people are addicts, but even if they are, it's basically impossible to quit a serious substance addiction without a shitload of help. going through constant withdrawal on the streets is probably the worst thing that any human being could ever experience, in addition to being quite likely a death sentence. nobody is going to be able to 'seek meaningful assistance' (as if that even exists) when there are hallucinogenic bugs eating you alive and try to stand makes you go into seizures and you haven't been able to keep food down for two weeks. if i can make somebody's day a little better with the small bit of discretionary money i get that i have no real use for anyways, i consider it well spent.

there's also a small subset of homeless people who actually prefer to live that way, and it's hard not to sympathize. you only get one life, breaking your back in some poo poo job to further the goals of a broken, dying civilization that doesn't give a gently caress about you is no way to live it. once you realize all the plastic creature comforts and hilariously fragile electric toys you get in exchange for the stolen hours of your life will never make you happy, why not spend what little time you've got left on your feet under the stars, doing what you evolved to do in the first place?
i read this post but i wish i hadnt

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
dont buy into the corporate machine man. ita just you and a bimdle and a pocket full of deeams, the world is your oyster when your heart is free. *freezes to death in a trashcan*

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

splifyphus posted:

once you realize all the plastic creature comforts and hilariously fragile electric toys you get in exchange for the stolen hours of your life will never make you happy, why not spend what little time you've got left on your feet under the stars, doing what you evolved to do in the first place?

I have an uneasy suspicion that this was a serious post so no, most of the people I know just don't hate their jobs and the people they work with and find the creature comforts, toys and social experiences that the job affords more than worth the trade of.

Or as I tell my dogs as I leave the house in the morning and they get all whiny, somebody has to pay for the kibble and toys.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

splifyphus posted:

don't have their identities completely wrapped up in playing some idiotic social game....doing what you evolved to do in the first place?

:eng101: humans evolved to get "wrapped up in playing some idiotic social game"

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

splifyphus posted:

why not spend what little time you've got left on your feet under the stars, doing what you evolved to do in the first place?

Humans evolved to die before hitting their 40s.

Rutibex posted:

:eng101: humans evolved to get "wrapped up in playing some idiotic social game"

This is also true.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

That doesn't mean you have to like it, or do it. Humans evolved to do a ton of poo poo that not everybody does.

That said, people truly homeless by choice, not "homeless by choice" in the way shitholes mean it, are rare.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Three Olives posted:

I don't know if they live or die, that's none of my business as long as I don't have to deal with them. I really think there is fundamentally a branding problem here, people like homes so labeling them as homeless makes them seem sympathetic. Vagrants didn't really stick, maybe we should just call them ferals.

I looked this over again. You typed it wrong. The third word you used was "know", when clearly you meant to use the word "care". And it is your business. Without assistance, these people will end up in emergency rooms far more often, without the means to pay. They end up in prisons, which cost an average of $50,000 per year per inmate. They end up costing loads of money which must be paid for by you, the American Taxpayer. So you are dealing with them, in one way or another. If there were services, They would become self-supporting and would eventually pay into society, rather than costing society. These services do cost money, as well, but it has been established that every dollar paid into some form of public service eventually saves many more dollars on the other end.

Will giving them money directly help the entire situation? No. But it will reduce the suffering a bit until society gets its collective head out of its rear end and takes action to help the homeless.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
still dont understand why being mentally ill is a choice instead of a requirement to be committed until you are no longer ill

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Top City Homo posted:

still dont understand why being mentally ill is a choice instead of a requirement to be committed until you are no longer ill

because the only place in america that public-sector mental health facilities exist is in the VA and in prison

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

OMGVBFLOL posted:

because the only place in america that public-sector mental health facilities exist is in the VA and in prison

gently caress this gay country

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I actually used to work for a NFP that had a focus on Homelessness, and the thing you learn very quickly is that it's maybe 0.1% of homeless people that "Choose / Chose" to live the way they do. Also, the homelessness that most people see (i.e. the guy sleeping in a park and begging for change) is a very minor portion of homelessness as a whole. The vast majority is what is known as tertiary homelessness which is things like a teenager who has left home and is sleeping on a friend's sofa, or a family that is living in a motel room.

Almost all homelessness beigns with abuse or breakdown of people's social support structures. In many cases, it's a teen or young adult who leaves home do to physical or emotional abuse. In many others, it's mental illness without a support structure in place.

Once someone is homeless (primary or not) it becomes very difficult to actually break the cycle without support. In order to get most government benefits that are aimed at helping the most in need require an address and a piece (if not more than one) of I.D. If you're homeless, you don't have an address by definition, and the vast majority of people who are homeless don't have the I.D. required. This leaves them in a space where even if they want to break the cycle of homelessness, they can't. After struggling with this, a lot of people give up trying.

It's actually a hugely lovely situation to be in, and because it's very unglamourous and has so many misconceptions surrounding it (such as homelessness being a choice), it gets very little attention compared to other social issues.

Now, whether it is better to give your money directly to a homeless person, or to donate it to a charity that is working to try and help homeless people, I would generally say that latter because the money donated is more likely to go towards breakin the cycle of homelessness rather than be a one-off bit of support, but that's just my personal opinion, and giving directly to a person is also fine, and I give change to homeless people fairly often.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

pff no way bro the dishwasher at my last restaurant got fired only after the 4th time of passing out drunk on the dishwashing machine and the interview process is minimal.

But yeah the job still blows and it's not going to pay poo poo.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Housing first is new approach to chronic homeless

Supposed to be working in Utah

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Yesterday I was walking around and saw 2 homeless guys. I found 20 euro on the sidewalk between them. I didn't give it to either one. I'm probably going to hell.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Top City Homo posted:

the leftists kinda ruined it when they made opposition to the government a mental illness

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
In Germany a guy came up to me at night near my hostel and kept pestering me for money, asking me to go to the ATM etc with curiously fluent English and presence of mind. I gave him a single US Dollar and he got extremely mad, which was funny.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I used to give money to people who would ask now and again if I had some spare change, but now I usually either politely say that I don't have any change or just ignore them.
Twice I offered to give a homeless person food and they acted like I just said the most revolting thing to them.
I had a friend offer someone an orange once and they reacted to her the same way.

There used to be this older homeless woman in our downtown area who would constantly ask for money and invade your personal space if you ignored her until you responded.
She would also see you turn down another homeless person when they asked for money and she would immediately ask the same question.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
I do.

I think giving money to the luckless is a way to buy luck.
It seems to work-I have had multiple close calls in my life, I only survived by good ol' loving Irish dumb luck.

Didn't get shot (twice), didn't get arrested on multiple felonies (multiple), didn't plunge over cliffs ala Wile Coyote, etc.
Or I'm just a statistical outlier and shouldn't be alive now but I stopped asking questions long ago.
I saw a street beggar in Guangzhou, ancient,tattered, dirty, helpless, and with no legs below the knees. I got out of the car and put a 100 yuan note in his hand.
His radiant smile was my abundant reward.
He ate well that night I hope.
It's seems odd to me that an atheistic hyper-skeptic uber-cynic like myself should be superstitious.

A new story coming up. called "Stoppit".

zimboe fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 14, 2015

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Not if they're an addict or are too dumb not to beg people for change as they exit a liquor store. If they're on a main street with a sign up, or sitting there with a cup I might give some change if I can spare it.

Zzulu posted:

An interesting phenomenon has emerged here in Sweden in the last few years with organized beggars. They always sit in the same spots in the same outfits all over the city, mostly romani or middle eastern women and every now and then some man will come by and collect the money. I don't give these people any money because it's way too weird

When my country had money this was fairly common and the Roma were the most entertaining beggars at bus stops. Literally getting on hands and knees, clutching at old women's skirts and wailing in order to break them. Was quite a thing to witness such a battle of the wills. The Beggar Pimp would always arrive at a certain time to collect and smack the few bitches who were light.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
It was Halloween and my car was in the shop so I had to walk home fro. The bus stop. Homeless guy walks up an asks for a quarter, and for some reason I get really generous when I've had a lovely day or feel depressed so gave him five bucks and he was stunned and spewed some real bullshit about karma taking care of me and said "god bless you" a whole bunch.

Five minutes later I get egged by some rear end in a top hat teenagers driving by. And I was wearing my old leather jacket at the time, it looked like an old WWII bomber jacket. And I loved wearing it so I could mouth off about the sneaky Germans.

That was the last time I let anyone bless me, or give the homeless anything more than a polite "go gently caress yourself".

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

pff no way bro the dishwasher at my last restaurant got fired only after the 4th time of passing out drunk on the dishwashing machine and the interview process is minimal.

But yeah the job still blows and it's not going to pay poo poo.

That was my point. He couldn't hold a job because that meant not being drunk all day.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I rarely have cash on me. When I was a smoker I'd offer them a smoke and they were usually pretty happy with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mad Monk posted:

I rarely have cash on me. When I was a smoker I'd offer them a smoke and they were usually pretty happy with that.

this is a good idea, i think i might start carrying around a pack of smokes for the gauntlet. that way i dont have to take out my wallet, and im not being condescending like people offering to buy them an apple or something. i could even buy the smokes from the dude that sells loose indian cigarettes on the street for additional savings!

• Locked thread