Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

grant us eyes, grant us eyes. plant eyes on our brains to get rid of these invisible fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Nice.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
I have to say that I'm liking this DLC area a lot more than Brume Tower. This one at least to me, seems much more like you have a clear objective, and a nice sense of progression to it. Brume Tower, on the other hand, just seems to be wandering around in towers until you find the right key item, so you can get access to more areas you can wander around in.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Where's that drat fourth old chaos

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is the visual similarity of Eleum Loyce to Anor Londo a coincidence?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is the visual similarity of Eleum Loyce to Anor Londo a coincidence?

I don't know if it's a coincidence, but they're both using Gothic architecture. Considering Bloodborne, I'd hazard a guess that From Software just likes the look.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Yeah, it's probably safe to say that From just really likes making elaborate gothic architecture. They make it look drat pretty though so I won't be upset if a few places feel visually similar.

That said though, I will admit that as soon as we entered this place, I immediately thought it looked like Anor Londo in winter

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So a portal to Hell(Chaos is fire and demons in Dark Souls 1 so p much this) opens up, the Ivory King rolls in, beats up anything that came out, sets up a castle to guard it, lives there while occasionally punching demons, and when he got old, grabbed a posse, jumped in to beat up everything still in hell, and told his Queen to freeze everything over if he didn't come back?

Yeah, I'd vote for that guy in the King Elections.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!

Archenteron posted:

So a portal to Hell(Chaos is fire and demons in Dark Souls 1 so p much this) opens up, the Ivory King rolls in, beats up anything that came out, sets up a castle to guard it, lives there while occasionally punching demons, and when he got old, grabbed a posse, jumped in to beat up everything still in hell, and told his Queen to freeze everything over if he didn't come back?

There's something you learn later that makes him even MORE amazing. The Ivory King is just so great. It's amazing what happens when you see someone who is...well, basically player character levels of competency. And that's the Ivory king here.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Eleum Loyce is definitely my favorite of the DLCs, and possibly my favorite part of the game. Wandering around in that blizzard was just goddamn cool.

...No pun intended.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
One thing about Eleum Loyce (and Anor Londo in the first game) is that I believe their names almost immediately. It seems small, but it goes really far in getting me to believe the setting and really get into the cool scenery. Too many fantasy names are a mess of Qs and apostrophes, but I can completely believe that these semi-deific beings built cities with names like that and it makes the setting so much better that they were able to pick mythical-but-believable names like that.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Wow, Aava was actually a really cool and good boss, design-wise

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Archenteron posted:

He sounds like the Emperor of Man from Warhammer 40k.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
People have brought up some really valid points in favor of this DLC but I just have to say that probably my favorite part so far is that you got jumped by a knight who disguised himself as a barrel :allears: that was so unexpected it was amazing

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

ousire posted:

People have brought up some really valid points in favor of this DLC but I just have to say that probably my favorite part so far is that you got jumped by a knight who disguised himself as a barrel :allears: that was so unexpected it was amazing

There wasn't a cardboard box handy.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Beware of horse

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

the new game sweeping the nation: hal, nature, golem

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Forgive me if I missed it, but what did you spend like 100K souls on in between videos?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Oh, these days I just pump my souls into maintenance stuff and upgrade random stats. I haven't hit any significant break points in ages, so it seems best to just leave that off camera unless something significant results.

One day, the Majestic Greatsword. I believe.

At soul level 267.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

fortunately, i have spent many hours honing my rock gardening skills

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Were the leash ranges on enemies in DS1 this extreme? I recall the enemies being pretty proactive about pursuing you until you were just about out of their zone. I think that strikes me as more videogamey than some of the other things you mention in the video.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Some enemies leashed really severely in Dark Souls 1, like the giant soldiers in Anor Londo, and really most giant enemies. If you got out of their range and they started backing up you could get a bunch of free pokes at them before they'd even start to wind up

This area seems to have a lot of interesting things and a lot of painful, tedious things. I like the blizzard opening up new areas and the golems having a soul stealing grab owns

Kinetic Gibbon
Oct 31, 2011

You don't actually have to feed souls to the golems to kill them, they take damage even when their not activated.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Wait. But then- what did I-

gently caress i don't actually know anything about this stupid video game

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Started playing Dark Souls. It's harder than I thought. My Dark Souls 2 experience isn't helping at all.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
my first piece of advice is a shield is a much more worthwhile investment

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Hey OP, are you going to use some other weapons, rather than only spears?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

BattleCattle posted:

Started playing Dark Souls. It's harder than I thought. My Dark Souls 2 experience isn't helping at all.

Heh, good to hear that still happens to people playing them in the opposite order. I died often enough my first DS2 playthrough to get the Steel Ring from Saulden (so at least 100), which is more than I died my first time playing DS1. :gibs: Like all that experience didn't matter at all!

There are a lot of differences, and the way they interweave can change the way you play. Like Vicas said, shields are a lot better in DS1, but statistically they're basically the same (only difference is DS2 has more greatshields and fewer and later 100% physical-block types)-- the difference comes in that shields go up instantly (as opposed to taking a few frames to pull it in DS2), stability works better and your stamina recovers faster (and guard breaks don't exist so running out of stamina just means you might eat a hit, as opposed to being comboed or critical hit), and so on. A lot of little things add up to a big difference in play.

Plus timing and tracking are completely out of whack. Velstadt mixes up the speed of his swings and some of his moves (like the thrust) track all the way until they're launched; in DS1 you can usually sideroll through big powerful attacks with a much wider margin of error.

I've been crazy busy with work and still catching up on videos, Dazz, but just checking-- do you ever put on the Rat Ring when you try poisoning enemies? :D It's worth +50 "poison damage" per hit/tick and goes a long way toward saving ammo and getting poison/toxic to kick in faster. I've been meaning to point that out twice now and [I think? apologies if I did post this before] I keep forgetting.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Hey OP, are you going to use some other weapons, rather than only spears?

I've been trying to use a wide variety of weapons over the course of the playthrough, though I admit that in the DLC I have been favoring weapons I'm comfortable with. The Santier's Spear was a fan request, but when we return from the icier climbs I'll see what I can do to make things more interesting.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Dazzling Addar posted:

I've been trying to use a wide variety of weapons over the course of the playthrough, though I admit that in the DLC I have been favoring weapons I'm comfortable with. The Santier's Spear was a fan request, but when we return from the icier climbs I'll see what I can do to make things more interesting.

Okay then. Good LP btw, I'm really enjoying it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Shields are weaker in Dark Souls 2 than they were in the original Souls games (deliberately, I can only presume) and, well... they're... present in Bloodborne, and that's all you can really say about them. I wonder how precisely that evolution occurred. Was there a specific dev with a distaste for defensive gameplay who gained more of a voice in the process after the original Dark Souls?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JT Jag posted:

Shields are weaker in Dark Souls 2 than they were in the original Souls games (deliberately, I can only presume) and, well... they're... present in Bloodborne, and that's all you can really say about them. I wonder how precisely that evolution occurred. Was there a specific dev with a distaste for defensive gameplay who gained more of a voice in the process after the original Dark Souls?

I think it's more a desire to encourage players to try new things. In Demon's Souls, there were a lot of ways to permanently regenerate MP or HP, which generally meant if you could survive a fight with what you had you were golden. Then they went to limited Estus that you had consistently in Dark Souls and switched magic to a Uses Per Rest thing instead of an MP system. In Dark Souls 1, shields were incredibly good and so most builds would try to use a shield, while dual-wielding was generally pretty useless, so in DS2 they added the power stance system to encourage trying something new and made shields less useful in general. Bloodborne, from what I've seen, generates a lot of its difficulty from forcing players to learn to do a whole different kind of more aggressive and fast-paced Souls-esque combat.

I think the reason for this is that one of the core things that makes these games fun is that you have to learn to win. The games are about learning the skills necessary to survive, learning the areas and their secrets, etc until you find your way through. The core pleasure of Souls-esque games is finding stuff out and mastering new skills and styles, so it would make sense to provide players reasons to have to learn new styles in each new game.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Dazzling Addar posted:

Voting for Ultra Greatsword and/or Curved Ultra Greatsword.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Buried alive posted:

Voting for Ultra Greatsword and/or Curved Ultra Greatsword.
Big, flashy weapons that scale well for your stats are fun yeah. So the dex-scaling ultra greatswords, lances, just try those sort of things out.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Let's finish up Eleum Loyce!

my dearest king, now naught but burnt toast

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Private.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Private.

:f5:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Still private. :(

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I remember Rapiers being really good in DS2, but I'm getting some really bad damage output with them in DS1. Is that a thing, or am I just terrible at build...building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

I remember Rapiers being really good in DS2, but I'm getting some really bad damage output with them in DS1. Is that a thing, or am I just terrible at build...building?
Thrusting weapons in general aren't as good in DS1 as they are in DS2.

• Locked thread