Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

sean10mm posted:

It must suck to be an action movie director right now, because pretty much whoever you are, Grampa Miller just made you look like an enormous loving hack.

I mean Jesus loving Christ, he had a motorized regiment built from scratch and staged a cross between a war and a Cirque du Soleil show in Namibia, filmed it, and produced something not only more spectacular, but also more coherent than just about any of them could imagine, never mind actually execute. And he's stripped away the gross subtext of most action movies and replaced it with some real heart, to the point where the feminist pretensions of the likes of Joss Whedon just look absurd now. The screenplay for Age of Ultron reads like a rejected letter to Penthouse Forum by comparison.

He's lapped the field not only technically, but morally. If you don't count endangering stuntmen, anyway. :v:

Well put. I'm using what you just said to convince my family to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone else go to a theater that had free posters? I'm not much of a poster guy but I love how the poster looked as old school as the movie. I might have throw one on the wall ( I grabbed a stack lol)

I did, but a couple who were on a date were disappointed they didn't get one and so I gave it to them.

I love that Mad Max is a valid date movie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was leaving and talked to a few folks who saw it at the same time, and some of them didn't even know what the premise was about after seeing it. If there's a single thing I think it could've done better, it's setting up that mankind blew itself the gently caress up and the only people left were irradiated australians

One of the ushers was like "yeah I was watching some of it as I brought food to people and stuff, it looked really awesome but I don't get why they're in a desert hellscape and stuff???" so I think more of a prologue to just be like "a hundred years ago mankind nuked itself to poo poo, and here we are" would've been better than what was there

Granted I can only assume the whole "nuclear apocalypse" setting of the originals was based mostly off a worst-case scenario of the cold war so idk

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

I wish they had done more to cement this as 'A story about Mad Max the Traveller as told by Furiosa'. I think having her do the opening narration would've been a good way to do that, similar to how there was a third party (aka The Feral Kid) talking about Max and the apocalypse in Road Warrior's opening.

Having Furiosa do the narration and having her be the one telling the story would ruin any suspense about whether she lives or dies.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Speedball posted:

Well put. I'm using what you just said to convince my family to see it.

If I knew you were going to do that I would have used less loving profanity!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I was leaving and talked to a few folks who saw it at the same time, and some of them didn't even know what the premise was about after seeing it. If there's a single thing I think it could've done better, it's setting up that mankind blew itself the gently caress up and the only people left were irradiated australians

One of the ushers was like "yeah I was watching some of it as I brought food to people and stuff, it looked really awesome but I don't get why they're in a desert hellscape and stuff???" so I think more of a prologue to just be like "a hundred years ago mankind nuked itself to poo poo, and here we are" would've been better than what was there

Granted I can only assume the whole "nuclear apocalypse" setting of the originals was based mostly off a worst-case scenario of the cold war so idk

The opening of the film has a bunch of people talking about the oil wars, the bombs going off and how people are now half-lives. I mean I get what you're saying but short of a text crawl I'm not sure how much more blatant they could have made it.

sean10mm posted:

If I knew you were going to do that I would have used less loving profanity!

loving profanity is appropriate for selling this film, I think.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

And see, the movie even covers that. The opening titles are set against news blurbs detailing the downfall of civilization and nuclear war that caused the apocalypse.

Also, I'm kind of amazed this movie didn't have any fatalities and we didn't even hear about serious injuries. Apparently every crewman and actor had the power to stop the shoot with a hand signal as soon as something went wrong and they had top notch stuntmen and drivers, which Nathan Jones (Rictus Erectus) credits with saving his life when the War Rig jacknifed during a shot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, I didn't even hear them mention it. We were ordering food(we were at Chunky's) and in that short amount of time to order appetizers and drinks they must've covered that. Huh. Maybe the other folks just didn't even recognize that, they were teenagers. Did they specifically say "The Bomb" when talking about it? I feel like, at the risk of sounding old(I'm not even 30 yet!), kids these days don't even know the significance of the term "The Bomb" in the Cold War sense.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Mahoning posted:

Having Furiosa do the narration and having her be the one telling the story would ruin any suspense about whether she lives or dies.

Oh, good point. gently caress it, have one of the Wives do the narration.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow, I didn't even hear them mention it. We were ordering food(we were at Chunky's) and in that short amount of time to order appetizers and drinks they must've covered that. Huh. Maybe the other folks just didn't even recognize that, they were teenagers. Did they specifically say "The Bomb" when talking about it? I feel like, at the risk of sounding old(I'm not even 30 yet!), kids these days don't even know the significance of the term "The Bomb" in the Cold War sense.

I believe they use the phrase "nuclear exchange."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

A bit of credit for Immorten Joe's crazy doctor. He clearly had a demented joy for his work.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Great movie, loved the soundtrack, loved pretty much everything, I have nothing to add to the conversation

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

I believe they use the phrase "nuclear exchange."
Totally missed that. Seems like it was so subdued that it was subsequently sandblasted away by the following two hours of movie.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

A bit of credit for Immorten Joe's crazy doctor. He clearly had a demented joy for his work.

THE ORGANIC MECHANIC

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

THE ORGANIC MECHANIC

And I love how that name ties into Immortan Joe's world view of everything, including people, being objects for his consumption.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

NESguerilla posted:

If you put a sawed off to my head (not like it's going to fire anyways) and I had to make one complaint about this movie, it's that the interceptor was creamed before it even got a chance to shine and I think they went a little too far making it look junky. I wish it looked just like it did in the Road Warrior.

I believe the run-down state of the Interceptor was supposed to mirror the run-down state of Max himself. hosed man, hosed car.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think any of the feminism controversy even warrants a discussion, but knowing about it before hand made me curious about what everyone was talking about. The only thing that worried me was the hamfisted way Sci-fi usually handles diversity by making everything as co-ed as possible and trying to shove it in your face. This wasn't the case at all in Fury Road though. The characters in general felt like a perfect fit for the story and the female characters didn't feel like they were shoved in to prove a point or keep everyone happy. They were there because they were good characters that belonged in a movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

I just want to set every car chase and fight scene to "Brothers in Arms" now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYnKu8RYAU

Gonna be my driving soundtrack for life.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ubelievable that a movie managed to trump The Good The Bad The Weird for open desert running battles. drat, just drat

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Saw it last night but was wiped afterwards and couldn't function.

It was a drat fine piece of both cinematography and direction. I had heard it was a 2 hour car chase scene and thought to myself "that might get old" but it never did. The stakes kept getting raised and the few times where the was a moment to catch your breath, the characterization used compelled the chase to resume. Hell, even when it looks like they're going to make a run for it over the desert, Max basically says: "You already have your green country and it was under your nose the whole drat time. gently caress it. Let's just drive right through them."

I'll have to echo the sentiment of the War Rig being its own character by the end of the film. In a vast expanse of formless dunes and featureless wastes, its the one thing that had definition, purpose, and attachment. With it, the protagonists have a chance and every time it breaks down or stalls, tension is created. You begin cheering for the drat thing at the end and start wincing when it gets damaged. That's some effective story-telling. Of course, using it to block the canyon pass and Nux's almost silent "witness" was juxtaposed against the Rictus tearing the very heart out of the War Rig out and screaming "WITNESS!!" It was a great way to close out both arcs and be true to both characters.

Also, the Doof Warrior/Wagon was the best thing to hit the screen in a long time. It was completely gratuitous but it absolutely made sense within the framework of the cult. It reminds me of the WH40k quote (which I'm sure I'm butchering): "In a world where only the insane survive, only those who survive can determine what is sane." The guitar riff was all it took to remind me that the war party was nipping at the character's heels and that they had to keep moving. Not only was it a calling card a la the Jaws motif, it underscored just how batshit crazy the world was. It also says something of Immortan Joe that he didn't care that he could be heard 20 miles away. He needed to be heard, even if it ran counter to the overall goal of catching up to the wives. Had he went silent, might he have succeeded?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

THE ORGANIC MECHANIC

Everything in this movie has the best loving names.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone else go to a theater that had free posters? I'm not much of a poster guy but I love how the poster looked as old school as the movie. I might have throw one on the wall ( I grabbed a stack lol)

What poster? I didn't see any at both theaters I went to. :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Pitch Perfect can stay somewhat strong but it's probably not going to have the lasting potential Of Mad Max, I could see this film dominating next weekend after word of mouth and possibly a little bit wider release maybe?

Also, this film is Rated R which hurts it's numbers drastically.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I just got back from mad max, everybody including myself left the cinema in total dumbfounded daze, as if we'd just been put through artillery bombardment, one guy literally gave me a thousand mile stare and went " I... Wuh... I.." And only now an hour later does the intense hype and amazement of wha I've just seen is starting to sink in. Holy poo poo. I can't beleive a movie like that was even possible anymore. It's like witnessing the birth of Cthulhu, i know I just saw something unbeleivably amazing, I can't find the words for what I've just been through.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 17, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Pitch Perfect can stay somewhat strong but it's probably not going to have the lasting potential Of Mad Max, I could see this film dominating next weekend after word of mouth and possibly a little bit wider release maybe?

Also, this film is Rated R which hurts it's numbers drastically.

And that's where I can see Fury Road doing something similar to There's Something About Mary back in the late 90s, where it stayed in the top 10 every week and ended up being very successful at the box office without ever once hitting the top spot during the summer period.

It looks like we're getting repeat viewings as well, and I might end up seeing this twice at the theatres again with a friend if it's still on in a couple of weeks. Of course, the last time I did that was Spider-Man 3, which I found myself enjoying for the sheer absurdity and comedy value of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

effectual posted:

What poster? I didn't see any at both theaters I went to. :(

There was a big stack of these sitting there by the concessions so I grabbed a handful and promptly forgot them in my friends car.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As of 12 hours ago the gross is $3.7 million for Thursday previews in North America and $16.8 million for the American opening day. $10.4 million for foreign preview showings, putting it at roughly $27.2 million as of yesterday. It may not be an Avengers-style record breaker, but the reviews and social media are blazing hot and the movie can only go up from here. I don't think it's going to be a sleeper hit or cult classic; we just haven't yet hit the end of the line.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
The thing I love about the Doof Wagon is that in a way it's pretty practical. In a war party of that size with no radios or anything, it and flares would be the most practical way to communicate orders.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Incidentally, the wikia entry for Lord Humungus has

quote:

The Ayatollah of Rock and Roll (with "Roll" pronounced "Roll-ah")
and it peeves me greatly

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ParanoidInc posted:

The thing I love about the Doof Wagon is that in a way it's pretty practical. In a war party of that size with no radios or anything, it and flares would be the most practical way to communicate orders.

I now picture Coma-Doof Warrior (his name) explaining what each wicked guitar riff means back at the base.

The guy who played the part owns

quote:

Like many Aussies of his generation, iOTA grew up with immense fondness for George Miller’s original trilogy starring Mel Gibson, having first seen Mad Max 2 (aka The Road Warrior) at age 11. So iOTA was determined to land the role of Doof Warrior when his management agency sent him to audition for a part described as “a mix between Keith Richards and a scarecrow.”

He went in costume as a Mad Max 2 character, wearing tethers and leather, black eye makeup, and dirt applied to his teeth. “I just wanted it so bad, so I was going to go all the way,” iOTA recounts. “I got in the cab and the guy gave me a funny look.” But it was worth it. He got the gig.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

http://store.steampowered.com/app/318230/

Welp, this game seriously needs pole-jumpers, guys huffing silver paint and a giant boom box wagon now.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I need to watch it one more time to be sure, but I am pretty sure I will rank it my 3rd greatest action movie of all time after Aliens and Die Hard.

I just need to say this quick, man that Guillermo tel toro horror flick has the dumbest art design. Poor Mia Whatsherlastska, she was going to get a YA series role and become a star.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

whatever7 posted:

I just need to say this quick, man that Guillermo tel toro horror flick has the dumbest art design. Poor Mia Whatsherlastska, she was going to get a YA series role and become a star.

What was up with that? I don't know the terminology or whatever but the way it was lit was like so weird to me, like it was intentionally super fake looking.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neo Rasa posted:

What was up with that? I don't know the terminology or whatever but the way it was lit was like so weird to me, like it was intentionally super fake looking.

I was talking about her dumb rear end hair, but for the exterior shot of the mansoon someone pull the HDR slider all the way to the right.

GunChicka
Dec 5, 2014

bang bang
This movie was gorgeous. Anyone have a picture of that amazing shot of Charlize Theron kneeling against the desert?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GunChicka posted:

This movie was gorgeous. Anyone have a picture of that amazing shot of Charlize Theron kneeling against the desert?

What I found really fast:

If I get a chance later tonight I might be able to get an HD screenshot off a trailer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

What I found really fast:

If I get a chance later tonight I might be able to get an HD screenshot off a trailer.

This looked amazing in 3d.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I heard a lot of people talking about the terrible night scenes but I really didn't think they were terrible. The lighting choices were very clearly intentional. The contrast of the all-blue was broken up by strong sparks of color (most noticeable with the women in the back seat) and it made the entire scene really stand out.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

chitoryu12 posted:

I just want to set every car chase and fight scene to "Brothers in Arms" now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYnKu8RYAU

This is loving drat sublime.

I saw this film after not being too impressed by the trailer. Mum - an old fan of Mad Max - wanted to see it as a late Mother's Day thing. I have the best mum ever, goddamn. Furiosa is awesome, guitar guy was awesome, Nux owned. No other action film compares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

whatever7 posted:

I need to watch it one more time to be sure, but I am pretty sure I will rank it my 3rd greatest action movie of all time after Aliens and Die Hard.

It unseated Terminator 2??

• Locked thread