Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Whizbang posted:

Now that Barrowman is Ra's, Diggle can be the new Dark Archer.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Diggle is going to become a red lantern.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

wargames posted:

Diggle is going to become a red lantern.

More like Black Lantern. :zombie:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Chokes McGee posted:

More like Black Lantern. :zombie:

That's Moira and Robert Queen

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I do think the final fight between Ollie and Ras was shot poorly. Their first fight, by contrast was filmed and choreographed amazingly and I love that Matt Nable looked so effortless in taking Ollie down. The final fight you didn't see much. I would of liked it to be more like that 3 minute short they did.

edit: but I still liked this season.

The first stab Ollie delivers is incredibly fake and you can actually see his sword to Ras's side. Like, they didn't even bother concealing it in post-production.

I also like that Ollie ate three high-powered sniper rounds to the chest and survived because "League armor." And yet throughout the season we saw Diggle drop League henchmen left and right with a simple handgun.

Anyway, I'm probably out next season. There's just so many good comic shows right now, and even more coming out in the Fall. I might binge through it next summer to kill time.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 17, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like they're giving the good stuff to anyone without a special name.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

drat you Amell. :stare:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Amell is and always will be the best thing about Arrow. Dude is so into it, and loves interacting with his fans.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

enraged_camel posted:

drat you Amell. :stare:

Amell's wife is hotter.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

enraged_camel posted:

The first stab Ollie delivers is incredibly fake and you can actually see his sword to Ras's side. Like, they didn't even bother concealing it in post-production.

I also like that Ollie ate three high-powered sniper rounds to the chest and survived because "League armor." And yet throughout the season we saw Diggle drop League henchmen left and right with a simple handgun.

Anyway, I'm probably out next season. There's just so many good comic shows right now, and even more coming out in the Fall. I might binge through it next summer to kill time.

Diggle busting out 420 noscope headshots all day erry day.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drifter posted:

Might as well have a villain named Mortimer.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Well I finally got around to watching the season finale, and it was pretty good compared to the rest of the season. Except for "BUT OLIVER".

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Darke GBF posted:

Amell is and always will be the best thing about Arrow. Dude is so into it, and loves interacting with his fans.

This is the reason I hope they realised internally that the quality wasn't as good this season. Last season amell and the rest of the cast would be on social media every week bigging up the latest episode and talking about how cool they thought it was. This season they have been really quiet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:stare: I wish it to be reeeeaaaaal.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I wondered about this. It looked like a stage stab from the wrong angle, but then I thought that was Ollie intentionally cutting his side, which I think Ra's might have done to him on the mountain?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hey Ollie, you remember that wicked cool outfit you used to have? Well, here's your new one - Laurel lent me a pair of nylons and I got you a vest, as well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

He had to return the sniper-resistant League armor he was borrowing.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

teagone posted:

loving hell that looks terrible. I hope the production team see it, print it out and stick it up the wall as an anti style guide.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's a TV show. They have to show off his lack of biceps.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

They need to bring in the one, true, archer outfit

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

loving hell that looks terrible. I hope the production team see it, print it out and stick it up the wall as an anti style guide.

gently caress you, it looks awesome.

The same artist did a bearded variant.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

This is the reason I hope they realised internally that the quality wasn't as good this season. Last season amell and the rest of the cast would be on social media every week bigging up the latest episode and talking about how cool they thought it was. This season they have been really quiet.

If anything, I've got faith that the writers know this, precisely because of how active they are at sounding out what the fans are thinking. I just binge caught up on both shows today since I finally had the time to commit to it, and while I don't have as much vitriol for Arrow as some goons do (as in most things), there was some very shaky stuff in there.

For example, that fight on the dam would have been so much better with lightsabers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I agree with most of what you said. The season has just felt cheap, production wise. Was the budget severely reduced? If so, what the gently caress CW?

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
The producer did a spot at the end telling everyone how awesome season 4 will be, I don't remember that ever happening for any other show. That alone said to me that they know they didn't do as well as they could have and hope everyone will give them another chance.

I liked the season, it had some awesome highs but I think they could have done so much more with it all being Malcom's master plan and while the first big fight was amazing I barely remember the last one. It wasn't bad, but definitely room for improvement.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Warmachine posted:

If anything, I've got faith that the writers know this, precisely because of how active they are at sounding out what the fans are thinking.

Probably a bit too active. See: Olicity.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GreenNight posted:

I agree with most of what you said. The season has just felt cheap, production wise. Was the budget severely reduced? If so, what the gently caress CW?

The budget has been slashed heavily every season like most shows. The reasoning is that the heaviest drain on budget is set building, the longer a show runs the larger the amount of established sets it has to draw on and the cheaper it can run.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I found the finale actually pretty energetic, with some decent set pieces and resolutions. The idea that Oliver sadistically tortured the poo poo out of a guy for three days straight is easily the best thing to happen in the hong kong flashbacks.

But christ on crutches, who the hell thought that Rhas and Oliver's big fight should happen so cheaply? Yes, let's film them in the dark with hoods on and using near identical weapons.

And I guess Oliver beat Rhas this time by... using the same move that killed him? But like, super slowly and without any build up. Sure show, whatever.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The budget has been slashed heavily every season like most shows. The reasoning is that the heaviest drain on budget is set building, the longer a show runs the larger the amount of established sets it has to draw on and the cheaper it can run.

The last season of Arrow did a pretty good job of disguising their reduced budget, but this season there seems to have been zero effort in avoiding things looking cheap. Things have looked to be just a step above VR Troopers/Power Rangers this season.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it would look less cheap if there were more daytime scenes.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

TyrantWD posted:

The last season of Arrow did a pretty good job of disguising their reduced budget, but this season there seems to have been zero effort in avoiding things looking cheap. Things have looked to be just a step above VR Troopers/Power Rangers this season.

I still can't get over the Power Rangers inspired swords Ollie picked for his duel with Ra's. Every sword on display was normal except for the ones that looked like toys. What was up with that?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Krad posted:

I still can't get over the Power Rangers inspired swords Ollie picked for his duel with Ra's. Every sword on display was normal except for the ones that looked like toys. What was up with that?

Thematic, he chose two short swords because Slade taught him with them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I know the idea of Ra's flying commercial is inherently silly, but I think he should've been the person Argus had Fyers trying to kill, and then had the league being the group trying to obtain the bio weapon in Hong Kong. That would've let all the pieces of the season fit together better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh sorry sir, all they had left was Economy of the Demon.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

howe_sam posted:

I know the idea of Ra's flying commercial is inherently silly, but I think he should've been the person Argus had Fyers trying to kill, and then had the league being the group trying to obtain the bio weapon in Hong Kong. That would've let all the pieces of the season fit together better.

This also would've tied Oliver to the league as someone who thwarted their plans a few times instead of some dude who got stabbed and didn't die.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Yeah the idea you'd shoot down a commercial airliner just to kill some Triad scrub was ridiculous. Just hire Deadshot to put a bullet in her head and move on. If it was Ra's or Nyssa that would have made sense

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Or better yet, Damien Dahrk, and not actually a commercial airliner (that's just a lie from Fyers), Argus working on intelligence fed to them by the league (which Waller kept dark because she didn't know who could be trusted) Then Oliver could have personally messed with Ra's already without having known it, and indirectly caused the future death of Diggle's brother.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Could a major problem with this season (in addition to the pacing and many other issues) be the basic fact that they're just aping a really famous Batman storyline and villain?

Yeah, Ra's isn't exclusively a Batman rogue but he was featured prominently in a recent Batman movie and had an iconic two-parter in the Batman Animated Series (which itself was based on an iconic comic run). It's a Green Arrow so you kind of expect Green Arrow shennanigans, not a knock-off of Batman.

And then, to compound that, they only half-rear end the "out there" parts of the League of Assassins/Ra's al Ghul/Lazarus Pit elements. If you are going to have these pieces, go whole hog (make the pit green, run with the supernatural aspects of the league, get into the long history of Ra's and his antics across history). OR, go the Batman Begins route and ground the whole character and the mythos with body doubles and misdirection that creates the impression of supernaturality. You've got a villain to really go nuts with, historically, and they failed to make him really interesting. Where's the pathos? Where's the ideology of curbing humanity's excesses or purifying the world of humanity's environmental disaster? There's nothing worse when you make Ra's al Ghul boring.

It all just screamed "We wanted to do a Batman show but couldn't" instead of "This is the best Green Arrow show we can make."

I hope next season they get back to the character's roots. They're certainly foreshadowing it all with the Coast City references both here and in Flash.

Edit: Was this season the one with Brick? That was the arc when Ollie was coming back from the dead around midseason, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thwomp posted:

Could a major problem with this season (in addition to the pacing and many other issues) be the basic fact that they're just aping a really famous Batman storyline and villain?

Yeah, Ra's isn't exclusively a Batman rogue but he was featured prominently in a recent Batman movie and had an iconic two-parter in the Batman Animated Series (which itself was based on an iconic comic run). It's a Green Arrow so you kind of expect Green Arrow shennanigans, not a knock-off of Batman.

And then, to compound that, they only half-rear end the "out there" parts of the League of Assassins/Ra's al Ghul/Lazarus Pit elements. If you are going to have these pieces, go whole hog (make the pit green, run with the supernatural aspects of the league, get into the long history of Ra's and his antics across history). OR, go the Batman Begins route and ground the whole character and the mythos with body doubles and misdirection that creates the impression of supernaturality. You've got a villain to really go nuts with, historically, and they failed to make him really interesting. Where's the pathos? Where's the ideology of curbing humanity's excesses or purifying the world of humanity's environmental disaster? There's nothing worse when you make Ra's al Ghul boring.

It all just screamed "We wanted to do a Batman show but couldn't" instead of "This is the best Green Arrow show we can make."

I hope next season they get back to the character's roots. They're certainly foreshadowing it all with the Coast City references both here and in Flash.

Edit: Was this season the one with Brick? That was the arc when Ollie was coming back from the dead around midseason, right?

This show has never really been coy about GA being Batman with the numbers filed off. If anything I sort of enjoy that because I like Batman, but hate all the rigid backstory and his no-kill rule. Batman is DC's goldenboy and you just cannot touch the canon in any way shape or form. Even if accidentally going too far and killing someone would be a great character building plot point - how Bruce would deal with the shame and guilt outside the suit - you can never go there because BATMAN DOESN'T KILL. Lame. GA seems to have a bit more freedom to mess with origins while still being a similar hero.

Also lmao yeah Brick was this season. I loved that villain way more than anyone else because he was in scenes with the cops without team arrow being there, and made that stuff compelling when it is normally just filler. The entire back half of the season was really weak. I as hoping it was a case of them having an awesome end-game plan and half-assing it to get there but nope. Unless that awesome endgame was just 'Felicity dons the Atom suit.'

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 19, 2015

• Locked thread