Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

canoshiz posted:

BJ wasn't very good at them either, even in his physical prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxNavbNtnk4

I imagine it's several degrees of magnitude harder to do them on rings that are moving around than it is on a solid base, so that still impresses me.

Conor's were pretty good though, its quite apparent that they're pretty technique focused on top of being hard as hell so someone who practices them doing better than a pro athlete isn't surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sprecherscrow posted:

Anyone got the link to the Socrates thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3307462

(So drat proud I got the first reply)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

One of the GIFs in there that still works

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Question: what was the reaction here after Fedor/Werdum in 2010?
The greatest GDT of all time followed by the fewer than five Fedor fans finally loving off forever.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Question: what was the reaction here after Fedor/Werdum in 2010?

oh yeah I meant to post this too

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3320599

e: here's where it started-ish http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3320599&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post378866438

kensei fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 28, 2015

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fight starts on page 18 then it's like 2 or 3 pages of laughter.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

The greatest GDT of all time followed by the fewer than five Fedor fans finally loving off forever.

I never left, sir.

But I'm also, how the racists say, "One of the good ones."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I still maintain that the Bigfoot fight was the funniest of the three. The Werdum and Hendo fights were so insane and quick that it's easy for someone who wants to to rationalise them away. Also, it's two real standout fighters. The Bigfoot one was a giant, slow man who pretty much went nowhere exploiting all Fedor's long standing weaknesses in a brutal, sustained way, only for Fedor to have to quit.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Snowman_McK posted:

I still maintain that the Bigfoot fight was the funniest of the three. The Werdum and Hendo fights were so insane and quick that it's easy for someone who wants to to rationalise them away. Also, it's two real standout fighters. The Bigfoot one was a giant, slow man who pretty much went nowhere exploiting all Fedor's long standing weaknesses in a brutal, sustained way, only for Fedor to have to quit.

Plus it resulted in the best excuse ever: "a wizard did it"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

Plus it resulted in the best excuse ever: "a wizard did it"

I forgot about that. Which in turn lead to the best post ever: "Pudgy Druid easily defeated by Troll. Blames Mage."

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I hope someone etches "jump into my triangle" on my tombstone.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

From time to time I think about the "I'm shakeing" post and remember how much I agreed

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Aurain posted:

I imagine it's several degrees of magnitude harder to do them on rings that are moving around than it is on a solid base, so that still impresses me.

Conor's were pretty good though, its quite apparent that they're pretty technique focused on top of being hard as hell so someone who practices them doing better than a pro athlete isn't surprising.

They are easier on rings (to me anyway) because you can move the rings forward and backwards as required for better leverage, whereas you have to move your body around the bar. However BJ is doing them without any real momentum which is much tougher than what you'll usually see crossfit folks do.

They are very much about technique though and Connor is mostly just muscling his way through them.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

kensei posted:

One of the GIFs in there that still works

How many times did I post that

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It was a great time for all involved.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Detroit_Dogg posted:

How many times did I post that

not enough

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Did he get knocked loopy by hitting his head on the mat? That owns.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Go to your own private mind palace and recall just How Good It Felt when that happened and you saw it for the first time

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Bethe owns and thats a far cry from what I would call dark or actually concerning. A bit hyped up beyond facts but not scary or whatever.

Either way, I rather expect Ronda will go Palhares apeshit. There should be a betting line on whether bone gets exposed.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Go to your own private mind palace and recall just How Good It Felt when that happened and you saw it for the first time

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
different, but the same

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I will always remember fondly the "H-h-h-h-h-he wasn't out! Look at his hand!" argument.

I'm a fan of the slide face across canvas and don't block punches defence myself.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
that knockout always makes me think of the post about how it was a bad stoppage because he was clearly about to triangle hendo, it stays with me always

edit: please join me

quote:

lol at unconscious man who never stops moving, is turned away from the punches, defending himself as the ref intervenes and stands straight up. fuckin ridiculous . fedor would have hosed him up and god forbid anyone takes that away from you...

you fuckin disgust me. you dont even believe this poo poo yourselves.

have a nice night.

quote:

good stoppage my rear end. i've watched that gif a thousand times and there was nothing that Hendo did that would've knocked Fedor out. if anything, i see Hendo being in a whole lot of trouble with Fedor's punches.

Fedor answered Hendo getting his back by relaxing a bit and then turning over. Hendo's 3 punches clearly happened after Fedor went "limp." Fedor turned over on his own to avoid the head punching.

the stoppage was early and the ref got paid from Dana. Fedor was ROBBED.

quote:

I dont care that Fedor lost and I'm happy for Hendo getting the W. Fan of both fighters. That said, as a fan and spectator, the finish and stoppage was simply unsatisfying, period.
Not blaming Herb either for this. Making the right call in the heat of a violent MMA fight is a tough job. He did what he felt he had to do.

Other ways this fight could've went
1) after Dan lands the uppercut and has fedors back, the first shot is BLATANT back of the head...the other 2 are questionable because of the angle. Could've been a 5 minute recovery for Fedor and a point deduction. Fight is stood up and continues.
2) Herb doesn't step in, Dan actually KO's him cold while fedors on his back. Everybody's happy.
3) Herb doesn't step in, Fedor gets his sense back, throws up a triangle, finds a way back up, or just gets dominated on the ground for Round 1.

Triticum Guzzler fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 28, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

RondaRousey on twitter posted:

@bethecorreia suicide is no joke or selling point. My father will be with me the day I hand you the comeuppance you deserve.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Bethe should be legit terrified

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
yeah now instead of losing terribly and immediately, she'll also lose terribly and immediately having successfully sold more ppvs

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

yeah now instead of losing terribly and immediately, she'll also lose terribly and immediately having successfully sold more ppvs

I doubt Bethe Correia is getting points.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You'd think they would have given him much better seats just for being there

WWE loves those 'look at the famous people that show up to our shows' crowd shots

*Zuffa camera man pans to David Spade, Laura Prepon, etc*

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I thought that if you were in a main event, you were almost certainly getting PPV points; however, since we don't have consistent access to the back channel negotiations that happen in the UFC we'll likely never know.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Big Bidness posted:

Bethe should be legit terrified

I know psychology is a big thing in sports and you can rattle someone. But getting someone with such a laser focus on winning like Ronda mad just seems like it is going to motivate her more and not distract her. Just look at what Weidman did to Vitor or what GSP did to Diaz. Plus Ronda is like Bruce Banner when it comes to fighting, she's always angry.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

sportsgenius86 posted:

kensei posted:

I thought that if you were in a main event, you were almost certainly getting PPV points; however, since we don't have consistent access to the back channel negotiations that happen in the UFC we'll likely never know.

I recall reading that PPV points are usually something that the fighter negotiates for once they've reached a certain level of fame or become champion. Didn't Weidman supposedly make a lot more money when he waited to sign a new deal until after he beat Silva the first time? Bethe hasn't reached that point in her career at all so I doubt she's got points. She'll still make her biggest payday ever with this fight though. Which will be nice after Ronda breaks her arm or jaw and she's out of training six months.

If the UFC is giving points to headliners regardless of their contract then that is pretty generous of them. I wonder how that falls with the co-main eventers. Pennington and Holm might have made bank off of 184 due to Ronda.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Ronda is going to beat her convincingly and this will all be forgotten

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

that knockout always makes me think of the post about how it was a bad stoppage because he was clearly about to triangle hendo, it stays with me always

Those posts are all true

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Memento posted:

Did he get knocked loopy by hitting his head on the mat? That owns.

I think he got knocked loopy by the big punch.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Wow, I thought the disbelief from Silva getting knocked out was bad.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Bean Fried posted:

There should be a betting line on whether bone gets exposed.

already happened, biggest weaknesses are strong drink and drug

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Hendo is going to knock Fedor completely unconscious and then point at his balls. It is going to rule.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

lmao

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
PLEASE make another good and healthy prophecy for hendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Triticum Guzzler posted: