Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Diabolik900 posted:

I think he mentioned in the bonus features for the DVD or Blu-Ray release that (unsurprisingly) people always come up to him in the street and address him as "Dickless."

There was an ad for the goddamn WII that basically made the joke. it had a picture of him, and the caption "Yes, it's true. This man has no Wii."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Burkion posted:

There was an ad for the goddamn WII that basically made the joke. it had a picture of him, and the caption "Yes, it's true. This man has no Wii."

To be sure, the Ghostbusters game was pretty popular on the platform.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Just found Doctor Who and The Pirates! On eBay for $10. Snapped that up quick.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I just started watching the original Dr. Who on Hulu (gently caress these commercials) and having only watched one or two episodes from the 80s on PBS I'm pleasantly surprised how good these 50+ year old episodes are. I like that this doctor is an rear end in a top hat too.

I'm going to make an attempt to watch all the seasons they have because the show has sucked me in so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of the previous thread titles was "William Hartnell will change your life" and it wasn't lying, because the man was amazing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I dunno if there's some mistake going on right now, but:

quote:

While all our existing subscriptions remain available for the main range and the new stories (along with the free PDF scripts, extended extras on download, and four Doctor Who -Subscriber Short Trips a year they give), for this month only, we're making available a special extended subscription on both CD and Download. This subscription, priced at £350 for CD, £325 for Download, runs for 42 stories, starting from anywhere the listener requires between story #216 and story #221.

...right now, as of this moment, the US CD price is properly inflated for pounds to dollars at $535, but the download price is $325--same as the £ price! That works out to $Stupid Cheap per story.

I'm tempted to do this, the only thing is it's a big cost outlay for a lot of stories I can't listen to now. Even by the time they come out, will I be caught up? I'm still around the 170s in the Main Range, and I tend to intersperse listening to those with EDAs, 4s, Lost and Companion stories with 1 and 2 (and soon 3), Dark Shadows, and soon B7.

It is great that they finally have separated all the Doctors into their own ranges. It's always been kind of a hassle when you follow a Doctor in order. This is much easier.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah, their non-UK download prices are weird like that. I don't know about other currencies but the US and Aus $ are just at that amount, not converted.

from the big finish forums

quote:

Outside of the UK, a straight currency conversion on our prices - which I think all in the UK will agree are fair and competitive with similar products - makes us pretty much unaffordable. The giants (Sony, etc) have pushed down prices so much, that local prices vary greatly across the world. The people who are upset about BF prices don't seem to think that this is the same for games, CDs, DVDs too. A UK priced DVD, for example, would be twice the US price if charged at conversion and no one would buy it.

Which is the decision we have: do we sell nothing outside of the UK, or at least make a small amount from a much bigger global market?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BSam posted:

Yeah, their non-UK download prices are weird like that. I don't know about other currencies but the US and Aus $ are just at that amount, not converted.

Wait...you mean to say,

:smug:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

One of the previous thread titles was "William Hartnell will change your life" and it wasn't lying, because the man was amazing.

With regards to Big Finish, that's why I'm at the point right now where I either wait for something to be on sale for the weekend, or make sure it's something I REALLY want, like Survivors or the upcoming last Sixth Doctor story. It's an expensive habit to have...but screw it. I'm always happy to put as much money as I can into Big Finish's pockets. I know I'm getting my money's worth from them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sorry for the all the Ghostbusters chat. I did that. I did that. That was my fault.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Sorry for the all the Ghostbusters chat. I did that. I did that. That was my fault.

The next time someone asked you to stay on topic....you say yes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BSam posted:

Basically the problem is that we get stiffed in the UK on almost all media.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

Don't cross the topics.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Basically the problem is that we get stiffed in the UK on almost all media.

Don’t worry, there’s a guy coming along in a few years who can fix all that for you.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

William Hartnell owns so hard it's untrue. We wouldn't have any of this without him and his chair with a panda on it. Sheer poetry, dear boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoxQKGDPtoo

Ha haa! Hoo hoo!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Big Finish released Series Two of Survivors today for download. They also put the first episode of the first series up on their website for a free listen. Link is in the article.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-survivors---series-2-released

For anyone interested, I wrote up a review of Series One. Linking to my Wordpress to avoid spamming the thread with non Who stuff.

https://cobiwann.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/big-finish-survivors-series-one/

I highly enjoyed the first season. As a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction of all stripes, all four episodes were very well done, atmospheric and harrowing. As an American, it’s also nice to see the end of the world from the British point of view in a way that doesn’t want to make me slit my wrists like The War Game or Threads.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 2, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

As an American, it’s also nice to see the end of the world from the British point of view in a way that doesn’t want to make me slit my wrists like The War Game or Threads.

Can I recommend children's book Where the Wind Blows by Raymond Briggs? It's a children's book in the same way Doctor Who is a children's TV show. And also horribly depressing too, because that's what we do.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's an animated movie of it. Don't watch it alone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh god, there is, isn't there? What this man said. Don't watch it alone.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It was really weird when the kiddo and I were watching Warriors of the Deep and the idea of two opposing power blocs with weapons of mass destruction aimed at each other, ready to blow the other off the face of the planet, was perhaps THE most alien thing she’d ever seen in all of Doctor Who.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hell, if you're looking for "slit your wrists, nuclear holocaust action" from Big Finish, might I suggest "Judge Dredd: War Crimes"?

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/judge-dredd-war-crimes-678

Bonus, Dredd spends the entire story being tortured!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Can I recommend children's book Where the Wind Blows by Raymond Briggs? It's a children's book in the same way Doctor Who is a children's TV show.

Where the Wind Blows was specifically intended for adults, I believe, which many parents buying it for their children cheerfully failed to realise. Kieron Gillen has a good essay about being given it as a child by mistake.

In non-apocalypse news, I just thought I'd pop into the thread to recommend Titan Comics' Eleventh Doctor run. It gives 11 a female companion who actually behaves like a human being and calls him out on his poo poo all the time, and it is brilliant and glorious.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

William Hartnell owns so hard it's untrue. We wouldn't have any of this without him and his chair with a panda on it. Sheer poetry, dear boy!

@5:05 into the first episode of "The War Machines" has my favorite Hartnell moment of all time in it.

quote:

Doctor:"Are you seriously telling me sir that you've invented a machine that can think?"
Scientist:"Yes."
Doctor:"And never makes mistakes?"
Scientist:"Never"
Doctor:"Hmph."
Doctor:"HMPH."
Doctor:*stink eye*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I finally got through The Blue Forgotten Planet and, sheesh, it doesn't have the worst resolution it could have for the Six/Charlie thing, but it is kind of infuriating. It implies that there are years and years of off-screen adventures between the Doctor and Not Charlie/Mila, that he traveled with her considerably longer than with the real Charlie. It makes their final conversation robbed of all of its potential emotion and just kind of feels mildly depressing, as if the adventures we heard month for month happened years ago for all of the characters we like, and so much has happened in between that they're barely interested in it anymore.

Oh well. Five and Nyssa written by Alan Barnes is next, which should hopefully be goofy enough to be a good palette cleanser.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

With music by Roger Waters! [begin Floyd derail]

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bicyclops posted:

Oh well. Five and Nyssa written by Alan Barnes is next, which should hopefully be goofy enough to be a good palette cleanser.

I recently re-listened to Castle of Fear, and it's genuinely pretty funny. Have fun.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

With music by Roger Waters! [begin Floyd derail]

Gerald Scarfe, contracted to redesign the Vervoids.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Barry Foster posted:

I recently re-listened to Castle of Fear, and it's genuinely pretty funny. Have fun.

Just listened to Suburban Hell with Tom, and it's surprisingly funny. And it's also by Alan Barnes.

And it has something that they could NEVER do on Who, Classic or New:

Tom throws a baby

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

It was really weird when the kiddo and I were watching Warriors of the Deep and the idea of two opposing power blocs with weapons of mass destruction aimed at each other, ready to blow the other off the face of the planet, was perhaps THE most alien thing she’d ever seen in all of Doctor Who.

That fact is actually really inspiring and wonderful to read :unsmith:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Barry Foster posted:

The next one, The Eternal Summer, is legit one of my favorite audios ever. It's fantastic. It does an amazing job of making all the side characters feel full-fledged.

Plague of the Daleks is pretty lame, though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Gerald Scarfe, contracted to redesign the Vervoids.

Ah yes, the Vervoids, surprisingly not the winner of Most Genitalia-Like Monster in Doctor Who. :allears:

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Is this on the level of Watership Down? I saw that one as a kid...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I haven't watched the film (apart from the actual nuclear attack bit which is incredibly nightmarish) but based on the book I'd easily put it on the level of Watership Down, which BY THE WAY

That little green triangle with a U means the film was rated "Universal: suitable for all ages" by someone who I guess hated children.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I haven't watched the film (apart from the actual nuclear attack bit which is incredibly nightmarish) but based on the book I'd easily put it on the level of Watership Down, which BY THE WAY

That little green triangle with a U means the film was rated "Universal: suitable for all ages" by someone who I guess hated children.

Maybe they just looked at the cover? "Oh, something like Animals of Farthing Wood? U certificate for that. Time for the pub."

Watership Down is the worst thing to show to children. I remember seeing it years ago, I was possibly about 4/5 and was horrified.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe they just looked at the cover? "Oh, something like Animals of Farthing Wood? U certificate for that. Time for the pub."

Watership Down is the worst thing to show to children. I remember seeing it years ago, I was possibly about 4/5 and was horrified.

Animals of Farthing Wood was also straight up brutal at times. A butcher bird skewering all of Mrs Field Mouse's little babies on thorns comes to mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barry Foster posted:

Animals of Farthing Wood was also straight up brutal at times. A butcher bird skewering all of Mrs Field Mouse's little babies on thorns comes to mind.

Yeah, Farthing Wood got dark at times.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Farthing Wood cartoon got painfully neutered as it went on. When it got to adapting the final novel where the park gets attacked by an army of rats the rat characters were all cute buffoons :(

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The ratings system was SO jacked up back in the 70’s and 80’s.

For example, this is the trailer to one of my favorite movies of all time, The Legend of Hell House, based on the book by Richard Matheson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sJhdMwOtRU

The movie touches upon some really nasty topics ( Drug addiction, alcoholism, sadism, beastiality, mutilation, murder, vampirism, necrophilia, cannibalism, not to mention a gamut of sexual goodies. Shall I go on?), has a few scenes of a sexual nature (no nudity, though, which in a way makes it even MORE sexual), and overall is very dark, atmospheric, and claustrophobic. And this is all WATERED DOWN from the excellent novel.

This movie? Rated PG by the Motion Picture Association of America.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Production Code had only ended like five years prior to that film so I'm guessing they still didn't know how to rate things accurately.

The introduction of PG-13 definitely helped quite a bit even though it wouldn't have for that particular film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What it comes down to is that Watership Down is a horrifying book about a psychic who sees all of his bunny friends murdered, so they go on a journey and find a bunch of horrifying rabbit dystopias, where bunnies are murdered, and making a cartoon about it was probably not a very good idea, for a lot of reasons.

• Locked thread