Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

jeef posted:

Actually, it's a game.

With two teams playing against each other, coming up with new strategies to give them an edge over the opposition. If someone comes up with a way to slow the other side down, good for them. They thought outside the box and came up with something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

chemosh6969 posted:

With two teams playing against each other, coming up with new strategies to give them an edge over the opposition. If someone comes up with a way to slow the other side down, good for them. They thought outside the box and came up with something.

It's strategy in the same way that drawing with feces on a bathroom wall is art. Some people are dicks and get their jollies by harassing other players. It really doesn't do their side any good. Surely the time would be better spent attacking and/or flipping the work portal than dropping hundreds of keys all over it. Your team must not win your cell very often.

Edit: There's at least one claim in this thread that this "strategy" doesn't prevent accessing the portal, but I've found otherwise with just a menu of six keys popping up. You could just access it with the key I guess.

jeef fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 1, 2015

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
i'm a lone wolf and made level 7 in 6 days and 40kms

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jeef posted:

It's strategy in the same way that drawing with feces on a bathroom wall is art. Some people are dicks and get their jollies by harassing other players. It really doesn't do their side any good. Surely the time would be better spent attacking and/or flipping the work portal than dropping hundreds of keys all over it. Your team must not win your cell very often.

Edit: There's at least one claim in this thread that this "strategy" doesn't prevent accessing the portal, but I've found otherwise with just a menu of six keys popping up. You could just access it with the key I guess.

Playing ingress is literally shitflinging

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

How far to 8? I'm guessing you don't have many badges, so 9 would take awhile.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Good game in DC, Resistance. You had us outnumbered, but we had you outclassed.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

PerrineClostermann posted:

Playing ingress is literally shitflinging

I have nearly gotten pooped on by birds, so yes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Exit Strategy posted:

Enl stomped and mega'd Phoenix. :toot:

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

I started recently. How did you level so fast?

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
i live in a 300 year old town wherever every brick is special

Poppyseed Poundcake fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 1, 2016

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

i live in a 300 year old town wherever every brick is special
https://www.ingress.com/intel?ll=32.06798,-81.093888&z=15

What a clusterfuck

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Dmaonk posted:

I started recently. How did you level so fast?

When I wanted to level fast, I did a map of an area and did the onion layer strategy for laying fields.

http://decodeingress.me/2013/06/22/ingress-onion-fields-overlap-multi-mu/
http://decodeingress.me/2013/06/27/ingress-onion-fields-part-2-4-with-4/
http://decodeingress.me/2014/01/04/ingress-onion-fields-pt-3/

I also had the benefit of being able to get to areas that didn't see a lot of ingress traffic, so I didn't have to worry about blocking links.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
What makes a field or link disappear? All the portals and resonators are still up and undamaged. It just vanished and never had any attack notifications
Also can the MUs control stat increase without you playing? I didn't make any links today and I think it went up from yesterday.

Poppyseed Poundcake fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 4, 2015

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Today I noticed I can no longer submit portals from Gallery :saddowns: The option just banished.

Also can the MUs control stat increase without you playing? I didn't make any links today and I think it went up from yesterday.

It increases if you have at least one resonator in a portal used by other agent for fielding purposes.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I am now playing this game and have joined a local group in the Seattle area. Then I made my first mini field, attacked someone, and he wiped out 6 of my portals in like 5 minutes.

I like this game.

Gonna go piss him off again tomorrow.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

What makes a field or link disappear? All the portals and resonators are still up and undamaged. It just vanished and never had any attack notifications

It was probably this:

http://i.imgur.com/rNSn5zP.png linked for big

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Javid posted:

It was probably this:

http://i.imgur.com/rNSn5zP.png linked for big

Well, that explains AP awarding I couldn't figure out.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I've noticed recently that a fair number of people in my cell have gotten badges for past XM anomaly events (Interitus, Helios, Shonin, etc.) that I'm drat sure they didn't attend (I'm in Perth, Western Australia and we've never had a local XM anomaly event here, Persepolis will be our first I think). I know that badges are ordered on the profile screen by the date which you received them so seeing poo poo like this just looks suss (I know for a fact that this guy wasn't in attendance at the first Persepolis shindig on May 30 as he was building up the farm in my suburb):

So what's the deal here? Have people hoarded passcodes from events and are giving them away/selling them?

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

cheese-cube posted:

I've noticed recently that a fair number of people in my cell have gotten badges for past XM anomaly events (Interitus, Helios, Shonin, etc.) that I'm drat sure they didn't attend (I'm in Perth, Western Australia and we've never had a local XM anomaly event here, Persepolis will be our first I think). I know that badges are ordered on the profile screen by the date which you received them so seeing poo poo like this just looks suss (I know for a fact that this guy wasn't in attendance at the first Persepolis shindig on May 30 as he was building up the farm in my suburb):

So what's the deal here? Have people hoarded passcodes from events and are giving them away/selling them?

I know for past anomalies you can get the badge for doing shard work as well. Not sure how far back that goes though.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Tiki Powers posted:

I know for past anomalies you can get the badge for doing shard work as well. Not sure how far back that goes though.
All the way back (provided the event actually had badges - so Recursion is the earliest) - I have friends with Recursion badges that didn't attend the anomaly, but helped move a shard, and got badges for it

Extra badges are also typically given for a lot for people that "helped" with the event even if they didn't attend - managing supply runs/farm runs, running intel maps prior-to and during the event, etc

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Yeah but the Founder badge was awarded in December 2014 whilst the Interitus anomaly was back in May 2014 and yet the guy has the latter and not the former :confused:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yes. People hoard and sell event codes.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Additionally, they've now changed the badge order. Anomaly events you've assisted in appear first, then character-assist codes (the actors carry their own character cards at events and hand them out, or they're in higher-end swag packs), then normal badges in order of acquisition.

Interacting in any way with a Shard automatically gives you the badge for that event - Even if you just have a resonator on a portal that the Shard stops at. Interacting in any way with a Cluster Portal as of Persepolis also gives you a badge.

e: Also, at least in my community, people attempt to get extra badge codes for equipment donors - I gave my spare to an agent who handed me 800 X8s before I went to DC.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 4, 2015

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Can you spoof your gps and use a local Vpn?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I doubt you'd even have to VPN. Spoofing generally only gets caught if reported and even then it's a crapshoot. If all you have to do is put a reso on a portal that's involved with the event, nobody will ever notice.

I'll probably be going to the one in Portland this month. What the hell do these events even involve accomplishing? I wanna know what kind of gear to pack up beforehand and what to expect.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Can you spoof your gps and use a local Vpn?

You don't need a VPN, just a rooted phone.

Google isn't looking for it either so do whatever you like. Hell, we've got a blue here that outright admits that he has 8 L8 accounts which he uses to solo flash farm a 20+ portal park he lives next to. Unless there's a documented incident that involved the police Google doesn't care.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 4, 2015

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Google WILL hand out a two-day ban if you say something even vaguely threatening on comm and a few people send in screenshots. Screenshots are the key. They haven't touched our confirmed multi-phoners or likely spoofers, but a guy ate a temp ban for a statement in public comms someone didn't like.

Yeah.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Javid posted:

I doubt you'd even have to VPN. Spoofing generally only gets caught if reported and even then it's a crapshoot. If all you have to do is put a reso on a portal that's involved with the event, nobody will ever notice.

I'll probably be going to the one in Portland this month. What the hell do these events even involve accomplishing? I wanna know what kind of gear to pack up beforehand and what to expect.

I went to the one in Tacoma, and I'm going to Portland.

I found it more important to stock up on actual gear vs. virtual gear. So, pack water, some nibbly bits of food, wear comfortable clothing and shoes. If it's sunny out have sunscreen, rain gear if rainy, etc.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Javid posted:

Google WILL hand out a two-day ban if you say something even vaguely threatening on comm and a few people send in screenshots. Screenshots are the key. They haven't touched our confirmed multi-phoners or likely spoofers, but a guy ate a temp ban for a statement in public comms someone didn't like.

Yeah.

Really? My local area needs that kind of attention then because comm in Arizona is basically 4chan and Google has done gently caress all about it.

Edit: And a res agent drunkenly and physically assaulted another player two days ago few miles from where I usually play. :allears:

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

8 L8 accounts which he uses to solo flash farm a 20+ portal park he lives next to.
Why? :aaaaa: what a waste of oxygen

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Because some people are so devoid of fulfillment they obsess over anything competitive?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Leveling to 8 8 times is a lot less work than leveling to 16. I find that less remarkable than the people who spend thousands on gas, sat phones, booster antennas, whatever to roam all over and anchor big fields at portals a hundred miles from anywhere.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

Exit Strategy posted:

AFAICT res maybe outnumbered enl by 50-60 people max, and that's by an imperfect sort of counting. All in all, it was a relatively even contest. Res certainly had more people at goruck but that sort of meant gently caress all.

Javid posted:

Leveling to 8 8 times is a lot less work than leveling to 16. I find that less remarkable than the people who spend thousands on gas, sat phones, booster antennas, whatever to roam all over and anchor big fields at portals a hundred miles from anywhere.

That part's the adventure! Having an excuse to gently caress around at some mountaintop in the rear end end of nowhere or driving out on a tight timetable to the shore to make way for a giant field is really quite an experience, and one you should try to have if you like this game at all.

Typhoon Jim fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 5, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

It's this:

the yeti posted:

Because some people are so devoid of fulfillment they obsess over anything competitive?

I've met the guy. Very smart dude but he's made it super clear he doesn't want anything to do with the social aspect of the game and will continue to do what he does until Google bans him which I'm guessing is going to be never. He's at the point he rarely even uses bursters. He just rolls through any hood he wants and ADA's the entire thing. Guy burns through 40-50 of them a week easy.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Moment of pride: Accused of spoofing because the guy didn't believe I could bike as far as I did.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have six 150+ day guardians at a major airport. :laugh:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

eddiewalker posted:

At places where people cry about because they don't have employee access to those areas?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

chemosh6969 posted:

At places where people cry about because they don't have employee access to those areas?

Long-term economy parking lot no one uses because the shuttles only service during peak travel seasons.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Good work, you earned them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

So I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or whether it works on all handsets (Using a Galaxy S5 here) but I've recently found that when glyph hacking if I hit the power button it will abort the hack but you can retry straight away. Effectively you can use this trick to cycle through glyph sequences until you get a nice and easy one (Or if you mess-up a glyph you can just start again).

• Locked thread