Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Speaking of old architectures, AMD finally admitted they can't implement DX12 feature level 12_1 on GCN.

That gives Maxwell an edge for GPU efficiency in DX12 although how much remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Riso posted:

You don't understand. The architecture was so much forward looking and efficient it is still able to bring nvidias newest chip to heel!

It's made Kepler look pretty bad in retrospect, but going up against a newer architecture that's also had its DP performance gutted to make room for more gaming is a tall hill to climb.

Actually, that's something interesting I just noticed. The talk is that Fiji only has 4 GB of memory. If it only has 4 GB, then what's the point of a nice high DP rate like Hawaii has?

FaustianQ posted:

Hope springs loving eternal, but :wtc: AMD you can't help but constantly stub toes and bump shins getting the RX 300 series out.

It's an OEM showing their new heat sink, just means that's not a 390X sighting. 12 days till we know whether to hope they can survive a year on console sales, laptops and any other semi-custom work they can find.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

xthetenth posted:

Actually, that's something interesting I just noticed. The talk is that Fiji only has 4 GB of memory. If it only has 4 GB, then what's the point of a nice high DP rate like Hawaii has?

Actually, whats to stop AMD from gutting DP on the 300 series, uh "refresh"? Could they theoretically use an old uarch, gut the DP, then crank the clocks to get something "new"?

xthetenth posted:

It's an OEM showing their new heat sink, just means that's not a 390X sighting. 12 days till we know whether to hope they can survive a year on console sales, laptops and any other semi-custom work they can find.

12 loving long days.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

repiv posted:

Speaking of old architectures, AMD finally admitted they can't implement DX12 feature level 12_1 on GCN.

That gives Maxwell an edge for GPU efficiency in DX12 although how much remains to be seen.

Isn't this what amd and xbox boys have been screaming from the hilltops will be amd's upper hand?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nah they're referring to GCN having a higher resource binding tier, which means AMD should have the edge on CPU overhead. Maxwell is Tier 2 and everything else is Tier 1.

Unfortunately for AMD most games will GPU bottleneck long before Tier 2 becomes an issue, so any extra GPU optimization tricks that only work on Maxwell are likely to have a bigger real world impact.

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 4, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Don Lapre posted:

Isn't this what amd and xbox boys have been screaming from the hilltops will be amd's upper hand?

That article specifically says the Xbox can do it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sinestro posted:

What I really want is something like that but also with Mini-DTX being a thing, preferably in X99 for a loving amazing mini virtualization/CAD/gaming do-everything box.

I do wonder if we're going that way anyways, with ITX not being able to accommodate triple- or quad-channel memory. Might see a shift to quad-channel SO-DIMMs first, though.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Can you get these GALAX cards in the US?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I believe GALAX/GALAXY is a Korean video card manufacturer? Which means they _can_ be found in North America, it's just a little harder.

EDIT: They are based in Hong Kong. It's like they deliberately try to avoid mentioning that they're Chinese. Thank god for French Wikipedia.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 4, 2015

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
I believe Galax recently moved to being an online only distributor here in the US, to lower overhead costs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Listed my hybrid kit on ebay for a ridiculous price. If someone wants it that bad they can have it

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Don Lapre posted:

Listed my hybrid kit on ebay for a ridiculous price. If someone wants it that bad they can have it
Let us know how many users are Watching the sale next week.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

If you really get $400 for that thing I'm not sure what that says about humanity. It sure was nice of eBay to offer a payment plan though!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DeceasedHorse posted:

If you really get $400 for that thing I'm not sure what that says about humanity. It sure was nice of eBay to offer a payment plan though!

Saw someone sell a titan x for 750 to buy a 980ti. People are not smart.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I believe Galax recently moved to being an online only distributor here in the US, to lower overhead costs.

The story is actually rather sordid - Galaxy and Galaxy North America just kinda wandered outside to ride bikes and didn't ship product or even return any of the North America distribution group's emails for a couple months. Galaxy NA distributing eventually had to just apologize, cancel orders, and tell everyone that they had no idea what the gently caress was going on. It was a pretty :wtf: incident for a major corporation.

quote:

Galaxy’s sales force was Galaxy North America's representative arm, meaning that it actively sold Galaxy products to the likes of Amazon, Best Buy, NCIX, Newegg, and TigerDirect, among others. Speaking with these reps last year, it became evident that Galaxy North America went near dormant in terms of operating, communications, and shipping complete orders. After a string of sales proposals to etailers and retailers that were simply not in any way acceptable were quickly rebuffed by Galaxy’s customers, Galaxy seemed to have moved into official U-Boat mode and went silent for a good bit of time. Long time customers of Galaxy products were simply ignored as Galaxy communications ground to a halt. I have been in constant contact with Galaxy’s sales team over the last few months regarding Galaxy's direction and business plans for moving forward, but even its own representative arm was left in the dark. Hundreds of emails, texts, and phone calls were never answered while inventory shipments to customers were never delivered. Obviously this leaves the sales team in an odd situation when they cannot even get communications with the company it represents.

Galaxy had been told by its sales team it was getting into a position that it needed to wind the business down with customers, or move forward. No plan was ever defined and no specifics were ever given outside of Galaxy stating that it wanted to continue business in North America. After Galaxy’s NA sales team lost total faith in Galaxy continuing to execute business properly, the team explained to its customers that it had no faith in Galaxy moving forward with any kind of business model. Galaxy is now trying to cut out its NA sales team by attempting to direct sell to etailers and retailers, but these attempts have fallen flat. Over the years, Galaxy has never fostered any direct relationships with any of its customer base, or much of one NVIDIA for that matter. This all seems to prove to me that Galaxy North America executives are either inept, inadequate, or simply incompetent to continue its business in North America. One thing I am personally convinced of, Galaxy North America’s executives are inexperienced at best and are outside their realm of expertise, at least for conducting business in the United States. I fully expect Galaxy to be removed from NVIDIA’s North America Authorized Board Partners list soon.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/02/06/galaxy_abandons_north_american_gpu_market/

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 5, 2015

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

The story is actually rather sordid - Galaxy and Galaxy North America just kinda wandered outside to ride bikes and didn't ship product or even return any of the North America distribution group's emails for a couple months. Galaxy NA distributing eventually had to just apologize, cancel orders, and tell everyone that they had no idea what the gently caress was going on. It was a pretty :wtf: incident for a major corporation.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/02/06/galaxy_abandons_north_american_gpu_market/

What...the...gently caress?

Is that also why they took the Y off the end of their name? So they can pretend like they weren't the pieces of poo poo that just took a bunch of money an disappeared?

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 5, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FaustianQ posted:

Actually, whats to stop AMD from gutting DP on the 300 series, uh "refresh"? Could they theoretically use an old uarch, gut the DP, then crank the clocks to get something "new"?
Time.

They could do it but it'd take months of design work + tape out and production time. They probably couldn't have something ready before Arctic Islands is supposed to be coming out in early/mid 2016. There has been some speculation that is what Arctic Islands is essentially supposed to be. Could be a clean sheet design though too. GCN has been around for long enough for that to be a real possibility.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Besides HBM, has there been indication of any other architectural changes for Fiji?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Can anyone explain why GPUs aren't fabricated on a low-power process? Here's a page describing TSMC's 28nm process family. It seems like GPUs would be well within the clock targets for the the 28HPC process for example, and that power and density savings would be significant. Does anyone know what I am missing or misunderstanding here?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Alereon posted:

Can anyone explain why GPUs aren't fabricated on a low-power process? Here's a page describing TSMC's 28nm process family. It seems like GPUs would be well within the clock targets for the the 28HPC process for example, and that power and density savings would be significant. Does anyone know what I am missing or misunderstanding here?

I might be misunderstanding your question but last I looked the current AMD GPUs are already using a 28nm process. Also GPUs use a lot of power so there might be leakage problems on a process that is designed for low power applications.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Alereon posted:

I asked the same thing.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

So strange. I just ordered a low profile 750 Ti from Galax. Wasn't supposed to be here until next week but I got it today! :haw:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Possible reasons include the processes being new and the chips not being designed for them (yes, chips get designed for a certain process and respinning takes time and effort), processes being new and thus yields sucking, and a bunch of other things. I know the best GPU processes are on the high performance end of things but not necessarily the same as the best desktop/server ones and definitely not the best for low power. I'm not really sure there. Time to market, being ready for design are pretty important. GloFo went for a higher performing 28nm than TSMC, and TSMC got a ton of contracts because they had a working 28nm first. There's also the minor fact that foundries' names are getting progressively more bullshit, with adding FinFETs at the same transistor size getting called a new node and so on.

Process engineering is deep wizardry and I don't pretend to be anywhere near expert though.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 5, 2015

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Way ahead of you

My first time using an AIO liquid CPU cooler as well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You guys are assholes. I've been trying to pick up one of those since the announcement. On the AIO front, are you just hooking up the radiator and fan to a spare case fan slot?

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Been wondering if I should just buy a 980ti with a reference cooler or be patient until the 12th for a possible non-ref EVGA one. If I'm not interested in doing any overclocking on my graphic card are the reference cooler decent considering I got decent airflow and that noise isn't an issue?

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Internet Explorer posted:

You guys are assholes. I've been trying to pick up one of those since the announcement. On the AIO front, are you just hooking up the radiator and fan to a spare case fan slot?

My case (Corsair 380T) had a mount for the radiator, but yes they can be mounted that way (usually on the top I think)

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I almost snagged a 980 ti off newegg today but got cold feet at the last second and then it was sold out. Am I nuts for wanting to buy this thing so bad for 1080p? I need to upgrade my system this year, its a 2600k/660 ti combo but it still runs everything pretty well. GTA V and Witcher 3 have been the first big two that I have to set stuff to medium on. Would a 970 knock my socks off just as much if I don't get a better monitor? Or should I just shut up and throw money?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

particle9 posted:

I almost snagged a 980 ti off newegg today but got cold feet at the last second and then it was sold out. Am I nuts for wanting to buy this thing so bad for 1080p? I need to upgrade my system this year, its a 2600k/660 ti combo but it still runs everything pretty well. GTA V and Witcher 3 have been the first big two that I have to set stuff to medium on. Would a 970 knock my socks off just as much if I don't get a better monitor? Or should I just shut up and throw money?

There is still some up left on Newegg. link.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I saw that, I am partial to EVGA for some odd reason. Want to try and snag a EVGA superclock edition with the single fan setup if I continue to act crazy.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

particle9 posted:

I saw that, I am partial to EVGA for some odd reason. Want to try and snag a EVGA superclock edition with the single fan setup if I continue to act crazy.

Yea it was literally up for 5 minutes. Went to go take the trash out, came back saw it was in stock then.... nope!.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

particle9 posted:

For 1080p it's overkill, a 970 will handle that just fine.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

particle9 posted:

The blower coolers work fine, but can be a little loud if the rest of your system is quiet. They are supposed to be good if you have bad airflow, or are trying to cram two in SLI really close together.

Personally I stick with single cards, and value quiet parts. When it comes to the performance of nonstock coolers, the big names look like the following, at least on the old 980. This is talking about air coolers, and not any sort of hybrid or liquid stuff.

Quiet:
MSI = Asus > Gigabyte > EVGA

Cool:
MSI = Gigabyte > Asus > EVGA

The fact is that the ACX cooler just isn't that good compared to the others. It still cools better than the reference blower, but is noisier and hotter than the others. MSI and Asus both have extremely quiet coolers, while MSI and Gigabyte are the best at keeping the card cool. In general, the MSI TwinFrozr is an extremely effective cooler when it comes to both noise and performance.

Asus has a redesigned cooler for the 980ti though, with three fans like Gigabyte's windforce. It might end up being a very good option.

Edit: This is also leaving out super-expensive variants. EVGA's cooler for the Kingpin looks legit, but it probably costs more than I want to pay.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 5, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

particle9 posted:

I'd wait a bit longer if you decide to go with the 970, which you'll be forced to do anyway since everyone's sold out of the 980Ti, and you practically need to poopsock at your PC to get in on restocks. It's entirely possible that the base model 970s might hit ~$279-289 with rebates when the 3xx series is officially launched - they're already hitting $300 occasionally. The 970 was designed to feed a 1440p screen wonderfully, so save for certain games which offer retarded texture options, running one on a single 1080p display is slightly overkill.

My advice is to go with the 970 and consider the $300+ you 'saved' as going towards your new system build, since you're probably going to at least consider a 1440p screen.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Alereon posted:

It's a total-power scaling issue. You can't dump 250-300W of total power onto a low-power process. A 25W APU is an order of magnitude difference.

Or maybe it's power-per-area but I'm guessing it's total power.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I have two Dell 2412m monitors, 1600x1200. I really haven't had an issue with anything until GTA V came out, and the Witcher 3 is kind of hosed. It's a weird time for gaming since a lot of what I end up playing doesn't need a powerful card at all and then a few titles like the above just make it feel old. I figured since it's been about 3-4 years since I upgraded I would go all out. The CPU upgrade has been a real head scratcher (nothing seems that great, but I do a lot of high end 3d stuff) but when the 980 ti came out it just seems crazy awesome. Then when I saw it in my cart for $750 after tax I stopped and did a "wtf am I doing". Money really isn't an issue but I've always been a $300 dollar buyer.

FM: That's good info thanks man. I might be holding onto my EVGA love from seven years of history and not really reading up on things. I have a big corsair case so airflow isn't really an issue. Honestly if I could this upgrade cycle I'd like to move down to a smaller case. This thing is huge and I just don't need the space (no optical drives, new SSD, bigger single hard drive). Maybe it's misplaced loyalty, but in my mind EVGA is quality. Glad I held off on making an impulse buy, will think about this a bit more.

Thanks guys.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd wait a bit longer if you decide to go with the 970, which you'll be forced to do anyway since everyone's sold out of the 980Ti, and you practically need to poopsock at your PC to get in on restocks. It's entirely possible that the base model 970s might hit ~$279-289 with rebates when the 3xx series is officially launched - they're already hitting $300 occasionally. The 970 was designed to feed a 1440p screen wonderfully, so save for certain games which offer retarded texture options, running one on a single 1080p display is slightly overkill.

My advice is to go with the 970 and consider the $300+ you 'saved' as going towards your new system build, since you're probably going to at least consider a 1440p screen.

I feel like I'm crazy to be considering buying both a 960 for 1080P HDTV gaming and a 970 for 1440P gaming soon for two different computers.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Ragingsheep posted:

Besides HBM, has there been indication of any other architectural changes for Fiji?
Maybe it'll have the same bandwidth saving lossless color compression as Tonga but that is all that has been rumored and seems kinda pointless given the benefit of HBM.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Aquila posted:

I feel like I'm crazy to be considering buying both a 960 for 1080P HDTV gaming and a 970 for 1440P gaming soon for two different computers.

It could be argued that both of those cards are actually underpowered for what you're planning. 970 is really the ideal for 1080p and beyond that the 980 Ti has become the dominant value - performance of a SLI'd 970 rig in a single card at exactly the same price as the SLI rig. Linear performance-to-price increases don't really happen that often in the high-end market. If you're not playing on crazy settings you'll probably be fine though. That's an OK build if you're on a tight budget, I just wouldn't go less than that.

Actually I'd also consider a 290X for the 1440p rig, when compared with a 970 the 290X ties up the race at 1440p and starts beating it handily at 4K. At 4K the 290X is actually almost tied up with a non-Ti 980 at nearly half the price - it just draws as much power as the 780 did, since it was released around the same time.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
I read that the 970 is hosed in some weird way, the memory is bullshit? What is the deal with that?