Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What do people think of Josh Huff this year? Someone has offered me Huff for DeAndre Smelter (who is on my taxi squad and not really taking up roster space). I vaguely need WR but I don't know that Huff is really the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think Spiller will surprise people because he doesn't have noted idiot fucker Doug Marrone trying to run him between the tackles anymore, and Payton might actually play to his strengths.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Benne posted:

I think Spiller will surprise people because he doesn't have noted idiot fucker Doug Marrone trying to run him between the tackles anymore, and Payton might actually play to his strengths.

I hope you're right, but I'm not touching him. Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm gonna continue posting to this thread because nobody else is:

Dynasty trade, .5 ppr 2RB/2WR/1WRT:

My:
AJ Green
2015 2nd round pick (which is dumb because we're already in the 4th and I would counter without it anyway)

His:
Eddie Lacy

My WR/RB:

Matt Forte
Shane Vereen
Bishop Sankey
Stevan Ridley
Ameer Abdulla
(so I could probably use the RB)

AJ Green
Jordy Nelson
Golden Tate
Jordan Matthews
Kendall Wright
Charles Johnson
Paul Richardson
Chris Conley

Overall I could probably soak the loss of AJ. What do people think of a straight Lacy/Green swap?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Azhais posted:

I'm gonna continue posting to this thread because nobody else is:

Dynasty trade, .5 ppr 2RB/2WR/1WRT:

My:
AJ Green
2015 2nd round pick (which is dumb because we're already in the 4th and I would counter without it anyway)

His:
Eddie Lacy

My WR/RB:

Matt Forte
Shane Vereen
Bishop Sankey
Stevan Ridley
Ameer Abdulla
(so I could probably use the RB)

AJ Green
Jordy Nelson
Golden Tate
Jordan Matthews
Kendall Wright
Charles Johnson
Paul Richardson
Chris Conley

Overall I could probably soak the loss of AJ. What do people think of a straight Lacy/Green swap?

What worries me is what happens when Jordy Nelson goes away. That said Golden Tate is a good pickup and Jordan Matthews could really excel, so I would probably make the trade given your needs.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I've been doing some early early mock drafts and here are some trends I'm noticing:

1st overall pick has been a mix of Charles, Bell, or even Antonio Brown
Odell Beckham Jr consistenly getting drafted in Round 1 PPR
First WR off the board 90% of the time is Antonio Brown, followed by ODB
Justin Forsett generally gone by Round 3 (some value there maybe with a decent Ravens O-line)
Top 2 QB's off the board tend to be Luck & Rodgers, usually too early for my tastes

--------------------

I'm not too knowledgeable about O-Lines, beyond the basics. But drafting Demarco Murray last year with the #10 overall pick kind of woke me up to just how much success they can give you in fantasy. I read the Reddit article a few posts back -- good stuff. Crowell seems like a good pick for RB this year.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I guess I'm lucky to be able to keep Leveon in the 3rd :getin:

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

railroad terror posted:

I've been doing some early early mock drafts and here are some trends I'm noticing:

1st overall pick has been a mix of Charles, Bell, or even Antonio Brown
Odell Beckham Jr consistenly getting drafted in Round 1 PPR
First WR off the board 90% of the time is Antonio Brown, followed by ODB
Justin Forsett generally gone by Round 3 (some value there maybe with a decent Ravens O-line)
Top 2 QB's off the board tend to be Luck & Rodgers, usually too early for my tastes

--------------------

I'm not too knowledgeable about O-Lines, beyond the basics. But drafting Demarco Murray last year with the #10 overall pick kind of woke me up to just how much success they can give you in fantasy. I read the Reddit article a few posts back -- good stuff. Crowell seems like a good pick for RB this year.

I like Crowell and I think he could be great. The problem is Terrance West and Duke Johnson are in the backfield too. Plus last year the Brown coaching staff would choose the starter by who did the best in practice and it may change weekly. And worse you won't have any idea who the guy is for that week.

Here's the latest:

quote:

Browns beat writer Mary Kay Cabot on the team's running back situation...

I think (Duke Johnson), the Browns' third-round pick out of Miami, will definitely press Terrance West and Isaiah Crowell for playing time, and might even win the job. More than likely, however, I think the Browns will mix and match the backs depending on the opponent. One might start one week and another one the next. At the very least, I think Johnson will see action early on as a third-down back, running and catching passes out of the backfield. He'll also return kicks and make an impact right away.

Fantasy Impact:
Last year, HC Mike Pettine was handing out playing time based on practice performance each week, so this is shaping up to be a giant headache for fantasy owners.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Mary Kay Cabot is the worst beat writer for fantasy purposes, imo. Doesn't help that she is writing for a poo poo team.

Anyway, does anyone know of an app or spreadsheet that would let me import my MFL10 teams/rosters into manageable data?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

A question for you that came up amongst a few players in our league. 14 team league, starting over from scratch this year but will be two keepers.

Thinking about Dallas' front line, do you consider Darren McFadden a first round pick now?

Half said yes, half said no. I said hell no, not with my first round pick (12). What say you all?

Your first round pick should be someone who is a proven commodity. The definition of "proven commodity" will vary per person, but arguably a top 10 producer in 2014 who is in the same team, scheme, coach, injury-free, etc would fit the bill.

You definitely don't want to be speculating in the first two rounds. It's bad enough when you pick a proven commodity (Graham last year) and he busts miserably.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Suave Fedora posted:

Your first round pick should be someone who is a proven commodity. The definition of "proven commodity" will vary per person, but arguably a top 10 producer in 2014 who is in the same team, scheme, coach, injury-free, etc would fit the bill.

You definitely don't want to be speculating in the first two rounds. It's bad enough when you pick a proven commodity (Graham last year) and he busts miserably.

I sort of disagree with this logic. Your top ten picks should be guys you think will be top five producers at their position. That is all that should matter.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

I sort of disagree with this logic. Your top ten picks should be guys you think will be top five producers at their position. That is all that should matter.

Yes you should obviously focus on studs, but the issue is risk. Failing to take risk into account is what leads to getting a massive bust. There are so many options in the early picks that I prefer to focus on safer choices with proven track records.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

:lol: if you don't take Montee Ball in the first round.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
whoops wrong thread

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

RCarr posted:

:lol: if you don't take Montee Ball in the first round.

Sorry that spot is earmarked for Charles Sims.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Joke's on you suckers, I traded my first round pick this year, no stress for me. :smuggo:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Good luck starting Jonas Gray as your RB1

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Azhais posted:

Good luck starting Jonas Gray as your RB1

Keeper league, I have Jonathan Stewart for an 18th and Jeremy Hill for a 7th. :smug:

My roster this year is going to be gross, especially for a 12 person, actively managed cash league.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Your first round pick should be:
  • an elite at their position, league-wide
  • unambiguously healthy and ready to play the entire season
  • in a team situation where they can excel as the clear and unambiguous #1 for their position and also as the #1 play-maker for the team
  • playing in a position where there is a steep drop-off in fantasy production once the few elites have been drafted
  • a player you want to watch every week and will enjoy watching succeed

All of these, together, make for a first round pick. If any of them aren't there, it's probably not the guy you should draft. For me, that means avoiding players with questionable play status (suspended or likely to be), or who I actively hate as people (AP), or who are in positionally-rich positions (QB), or who are in team situations where it's unclear how they'll be used (Graham), or a hot-hand RB situation, or an RB on a team with a questionable OL, etc.

I think a fantasy football team should represent not only the players you think can win you a championship, but also the players that will attract and hold your attention and interest all season. You want to feel happy when they do well, and that's hard to do if they play on the team you hate. If you're like me, you're going to try to watch at least the highlights if not the entire games for all of your important fantasy players; you want to be watching good enjoyable football and having a good time, not watching bad football or rooting for a player to earn you points on a team you actually want to lose games.

I know when there's money on the line, or if you're indifferent to who wins or loses, that may not be a concern. But god, if you're indifferent to football, why are you doing this? There are easier and more profitable ways to make money, if that's the only concern.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Leperflesh posted:

• in a team situation where they can excel as the clear and unambiguous #1 for their position and also as the #1 play-maker for the team
  • playing in a position where there is a steep drop-off in fantasy production once the few elites have been drafted

All of these, together, make for a first round pick. If any of them aren't there, it's probably not the guy you should draft. For me, that means avoiding players with questionable play status (suspended or likely to be), or who I actively hate as people (AP), or who are in positionally-rich positions (QB), or who are in team situations where it's unclear how they'll be used (Graham), or a hot-hand RB situation, or an RB on a team with a questionable OL, etc.

I think a fantasy football team should represent not only the players you think can win you a championship, but also the players that will attract and hold your attention and interest all season. You want to feel happy when they do well, and that's hard to do if they play on the team you hate. If you're like me, you're going to try to watch at least the highlights if not the entire games for all of your important fantasy players; you want to be watching good enjoyable football and having a good time, not watching bad football or rooting for a player to earn you points on a team you actually want to lose games.

I know when there's money on the line, or if you're indifferent to who wins or loses, that may not be a concern. But god, if you're indifferent to football, why are you doing this? There are easier and more profitable ways to make money, if that's the only concern.

gently caress that your first round pick should be Charles Sims

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Well I mean, obviously Charles Sims fits all of my criteria, so...?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

Which is why I'll never draft a player from the Falcons, no matter the value. Just feels dirty rooting for them to do well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Giants fan here who loves Dez Bryant.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Gyshall posted:

Sims is the obvious 1.01, so therefore there's no point in talking about him since most people won't have the first pick. If you do have the first pick then you're just going to take Sims and win your league easily, so you don't need fantasy advice.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes you should obviously focus on studs, but the issue is risk. Failing to take risk into account is what leads to getting a massive bust. There are so many options in the early picks that I prefer to focus on safer choices with proven track records.

Leperflesh posted:

There is a level of risk regardless. I should point out that I never would draft a guy who has never produced in the first round. There needs to be some sort of baseline to project a guy as an elite talent. If you used health as a baseline last year, you probably didn't draft Murray in the first. Injuries are very hard to predict, so I try to only use it as a tie-breaker.

What it comes right down to is metrics go right out the window if I think a guy is going to be a stud. I will try to gauge where other people are drafting that guy, but I will make sure he is on my roster, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Just FYI, the footballguys app lets you access all their premium stuff right now for free. They did this last summer too, then locked it around fantasy draft time. Might as well check it out.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Anthony Davis just announced his retirement, so Carlos Hyde takes a hit in value. What the gently caress is going on with the 49ers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

Anthony Davis just announced his retirement, so Carlos Hyde takes a hit in value. What the gently caress is going on with the 49ers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/05/49ers-anthony-davis-retires-at-age-25/

Concussion awareness. He got rattled pretty bad last year, and is probably taking a cue from Chris Borland retiring based primarily on concerns about brain damage. This is gonna be a rebuilding year for the niners regardless, so if Davis wants a year or two off, it's not a terrible time to take it now; it's not like he's potentially costing the team or missing out on a championship.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Cervixalot posted:

When I heard this on the radio, I thought they were talking about the other Anthony Davis and nearly lost my mind.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

:siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren:

Charles Sims adds muscle posted:

Source: PewterReport.com - Scott Reynolds

Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB Charles Sims has added some muscle during the offseason, which could help him be a better runner between the tackles.

BUT WAIT! THE MASTER DENIES THE APPRENTICE

Doug Martin leaner, faster posted:

Source: PewterReport.com - Scott Reynolds

Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB Doug Martin is leaner and appears faster than ever this offseason with acceleration that hasn't been seen since his rookie season, according to PewterReport.com's Scott Reynolds. 'I'm trying to get my body fat percentage down,' Martin said. 'I am a little smaller in terms of my body fat percentage that's decreased, so that's good. I'm just trying to get my muscle gain up and get that fat out. Definitely I feel quicker - faster. I feel real good. 'I wanted to be a little faster and a little quicker in my game and for me to be able to do that was to decrease my body fat, go hard in the weight room and come out here on the field and show the coaches. It's really more running and cardio. When I'm at home I'll go run around the neighborhood from time to time, a lot of cardio and keeping up on the weights.'

I think I know my rb1/2

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Who is their rb3 I gotta get in on that

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pangstrom posted:

Who is their rb3 I gotta get in on that

We all know Bobby Rainey is going to have the most points again

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Maybe I'm crazy but I've justified it in my own mind. I traded Alshon Jeffery (12th round keeper) for Adrian Peterson (1st round keeper). 12 team league.

I pick 8th in my keeper league draft, and the majority of top backs were kept. The best back there for me at 8 would *maybe* be Alfred Morris. Backs like AP are extremely hard to get your hands on in a keeper league, and I realize that while Alshon at a 12 is much better overall value, I can build my WR core through the fantasy draft. As it stands, I kept AP (1) and Latavius Murray (16), so I can probably go WR in rounds 2 and 3. Tons of WR hit the draft this year (Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Jordy Nelson, TY Hilton, Randall Cobb just to name the better ones), so if things work out I'll be able to snag one of them and go from there.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

old dog child posted:

:siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren:

BUT WAIT! THE MASTER DENIES THE APPRENTICE

I think I know my rb1/2

why would thunder try to be like lightning

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Ty1990 posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but I've justified it in my own mind. I traded Alshon Jeffery (12th round keeper) for Adrian Peterson (1st round keeper). 12 team league.

I pick 8th in my keeper league draft, and the majority of top backs were kept. The best back there for me at 8 would *maybe* be Alfred Morris. Backs like AP are extremely hard to get your hands on in a keeper league, and I realize that while Alshon at a 12 is much better overall value, I can build my WR core through the fantasy draft. As it stands, I kept AP (1) and Latavius Murray (16), so I can probably go WR in rounds 2 and 3. Tons of WR hit the draft this year (Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Jordy Nelson, TY Hilton, Randall Cobb just to name the better ones), so if things work out I'll be able to snag one of them and go from there.

A Mistake Was Made.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

It seems like they're both trying to switch bodies.

Ty1990 posted:

How many keepers do you have? Just two? If so, I say bad trade. It might help in the short term but you're losing a really, really cheap WR2. I think you would've been better off taking fliers on RBs. Hell, if you had kept Jeffrey, there's a chance you could flip him for someone worth way more. You can't flip AP, he's too expensive and too old. You will have to spend your top picks to grab those WRs you listed, which is something that other players in your league might not have to worry about, depending on their RB keeper values.

HOWEVER, if your gamble pays off and it helps you win this year then who gives a poo poo if you're hampered the next couple. Winning is always worth it.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 7, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Charles Sims is both the thunder and the lightning, the hammer and the anvil, the alpha and the omega, all praise him insha'allah.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ty1990 posted:

I would've kept Jeffery over both AP and Latavius Murray :shrug: You don't say how many you start, but unless it is only 1 WR, being able to snag one of the top WRs doesn't diminish Jeffery's value. Also is it any PPR?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ty1990 posted:

You Done hosed Up.

"Alshon at a 12 is much better overall value" is precisely where you should have stopped. Keepers is entirely about value, just as drafting is all about maximizing your overall team performance. One player does not make a fantasy football team, and if you could have for example Antonio Brown and Alshon Jeffery as your WR1 and WR2 that would have been fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

Yikes. I hate this trade. AP is 30 and you're giving up a first rounder this year AND a multi-year cheap WR1 for him. Not great value now because you lose that first rounder, and even worse a year or two from now when Jeffery is still a cheap WR1 and Peterson is probably not a top 5 pick or keeper material anymore.

Your window is now this year or the next. Murray is more of a long term building block than a guaranteed stud. I'd try to move him for another expensive "win-now" piece. Try to get a guy who is supposed to be a first or second rounder in redraft leagues. In for a penny, in for a pound.

• Locked thread