Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Decided to finally upgrade from my 6 year old 450d to full frame with a 6d, and will be getting the 24-105 f4 L as well. For general travel and landscape, I've read that this is a pretty good combo, am I right? Anyone have any experience with this set up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

NaDy posted:

Decided to finally upgrade from my 6 year old 450d to full frame with a 6d, and will be getting the 24-105 f4 L as well. For general travel and landscape, I've read that this is a pretty good combo, am I right? Anyone have any experience with this set up?

Yup that's a pretty good combo.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Its worked out for me so far. Had some scares that have been mostly been my fault.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Hello Canon thread, I'm thinking about going full frame and have decided to go with Canon even though my last DSLR was a Nikon D50 and my only camera right now is an X100 which I love as a go-anywhere camera, but I want to supplement it with something more flexible. I spent some time at B&H handling some cameras and I just like Canon's ergonomics better, plus that 40mm pancake is neat. I'm debating between a new 6D (from one of those shady eBay grey market sellers for about $1200) or a used 5D mk2 (around $8-900), I mostly like shooting architecture and cars and stuff like that, though I do indoor low-light a lot and also need something that's a decent video performer. Would the 5DMK2 be enough for me or should I spring for a 6D?

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
See if you can find a busted canon p&s on eBay or craigslist and Google canon loyalty program. You can get up to 20% off a refurb with the full warranty. I got my 6d for $1340.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

d0s posted:

indoor low-light a lot and also need something that's a decent video performer

6D

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="446254275"]
See if you can find a busted canon p&s on eBay or craigslist and Google canon loyalty program. You can get up to 20% off a refurb with the full warranty. I got my 6d for $1340.

Whoa, that's nuts, apparently it doesn't even need to be broken now. I wish I hadn't sold my powershot G5 a few years ago.

e:

After asking this I actually started reading this thread and yeah my question has been asked a bunch of times and everything points to 6D so that's what I'm gonna do once I sell some poo poo and get the money together. Thanks!

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 7, 2015

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Hey all, so because I am tired of swapping lenses in big group events for ultra wide (like I used my 10-18mm lens a lot), I am thinking of going for a dual setup with my trusty 40D, and complimenting it, a EOS-M with an adapter for the 10-19. Amazon reviews only say the 10-18 would be slow on AF, but I use MF with the wide lens anyway, so tell me, is going for the original EOS-M, along with the adapter a good way to enter the world of mirror less and keep my canon equipment?

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hi guys.

My girlfriend and I are looking to pick up a camera. We're pretty much beginners in photography but I've got a few courses lined up to take through a service my job offers. Our goal is to hopefully down the road start a small business on the side of taking pictures of kids. We've spent a ridiculous amount of money on taking pictures of our baby boy for different holidays and what not since he was born last July and that's kind of what's inspired us to try and learn more. There are a few kits we are looking at on Amazon but as I tend to do when I'm looking to make a purchase, I'm turning to goons for their two cents.

T5:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V73JZY6?ref_=gb1h_img_m-3_9742_9f98f6db&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

SL1:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GW2O5PG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AXCB29L39I26U

Any other suggestions out there we should consider? The Nikon D3300 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8LQ8VW?ref_=gb1h_tit_m-3_9742_698e61fe&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) is another one we've been looking at but since this is the Canon thread...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

NaDy posted:

I have it, and it's pretty bomber. My major complaints are the relatively slow aperture and distortion at the wide end. But it's nothing that can't be fixed/worked around, and it's an overall good setup in a light package.

The lens may or may not develop zoom creep. That's just part of the game.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Shampy posted:

taking pictures of kids.

I have no first hand experience with kids - they're like small, fast-moving wildlife, right?

Don't buy a T5. The SL1 sounds like it would fit your needs, but it might feel limiting if you stick with photography for a while (or if you have big hands). A refurbished 60D or 5D classic with a 50mm/1.8 or a 40mm/2.8 would be in a similar price range to the kits you're looking at and would give you a lot of room to grow.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Don't buy the 75-300 lens. On a crop camera, the 55-250 IS STM is better in every way.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Shampy posted:

Hi guys.

My girlfriend and I are looking to pick up a camera. We're pretty much beginners in photography but I've got a few courses lined up to take through a service my job offers. Our goal is to hopefully down the road start a small business on the side of taking pictures of kids. We've spent a ridiculous amount of money on taking pictures of our baby boy for different holidays and what not since he was born last July and that's kind of what's inspired us to try and learn more. There are a few kits we are looking at on Amazon but as I tend to do when I'm looking to make a purchase, I'm turning to goons for their two cents.

T5:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V73JZY6?ref_=gb1h_img_m-3_9742_9f98f6db&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

SL1:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GW2O5PG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AXCB29L39I26U

Any other suggestions out there we should consider? The Nikon D3300 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8LQ8VW?ref_=gb1h_tit_m-3_9742_698e61fe&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) is another one we've been looking at but since this is the Canon thread...

If you're trying to replace going to have portraits done of the kids, you're going to want to consider what you're going to do for lighting also or you will be pretty disappointed with your results. SL1 is a better camera than the T5, but it's also very small which you may or may not mind (or appreciate as it were)

Edit: And on that note, the people's republic makes a boatload of cheap studio lighting gear nowadays, which is not really meant to stand a beating (meaning I would not drag it all over creation and expect it to survive falls and the like) , but would do just fine for a little home studio.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 8, 2015

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'm seconding the used 60D path. Better ergos and you learn how to control a "real" dSLR.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I really appreciate your guys advice. Small issue though, we are trying to make our purchase on Amazon due to rewards/finance deals. My girlfriend came back at me with a T5i suggestion. It seems like the difference isn't huge unless we are shooting video? Am I wrong?

And as far as the comment about lighting goes, the pictures we have taken of the baby are usually in an outdoor setting.

edit:
This kit seems like a bargain:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-T5i-Professional-lightweight/dp/B00KXG0RCC/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1433773398&sr=1-2&keywords=t5i

Why should we steer away from this?

And also, why does the 60D more more room for growth? Sorry if these are dumb rear end questions.

Shampy fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 8, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Shampy posted:

I really appreciate your guys advice. Small issue though, we are trying to make our purchase on Amazon due to rewards/finance deals. My girlfriend came back at me with a T5i suggestion. It seems like the difference isn't huge unless we are shooting video? Am I wrong?

And as far as the comment about lighting goes, the pictures we have taken of the baby are usually in an outdoor setting.

You'll still get better results if you figure something out for enhancing lighting outdoors, whether that be flash for fill, or just using reflectors.

T5i vs SL1 - T5i has more cross type AF points and higher framerate. SL1 has slightly faster live view focus

Edit: Most of the stuff in that "kit" is junk. Go here: http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-t5i-18-55mm-is-stm-lens-kit-refurbished

Canon refurb has the exact same warranty as new (1 year) - use the 200$ leftover to buy a better memory card than those crap ones , and a decent tripod.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 8, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Kits are bad don't do kits. But it seems like you already have your mind made up so just do whatever I guess.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Kits are bad don't do kits. But it seems like you already have your mind made up so just do whatever I guess.

No, we haven't made up our mind. We're trying to come up with the best solution with stuff we can buy off of Amazon that would be sub $700-800. What is bad about kits?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Shampy posted:

No, we haven't made up our mind. We're trying to come up with the best solution with stuff we can buy off of Amazon that would be sub $700-800. What is bad about kits?

They have crappy filters, crappy conversion lenses, crappy plastic tripods, crappy slow memory cards, etc. it's all junk accessories

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Shampy posted:

The included items (bag/memory card/filters) are all thrown together junk that you're not going to want or need. I know KEH has an Amazon front, if you could find a nice used 60D/70D on there I think you'll be much happier in the long run.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-60d-body-refurbished
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-70d-body-refurbished
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-60d-ef-s-18-135mm-is-lens-kit-refurbished
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-70d-18-55mm-is-stm-kit-refurbished-camera
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-70d-18-135mm-is-stm-kit-refurbished

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Shampy posted:

My girlfriend came back at me with a T5i suggestion. It seems like the difference isn't huge unless we are shooting video? Am I wrong?

Oh, you called it a T5 earlier. The T5 isn't the same as the T5i - the latter is definitely a decent camera.

Shampy posted:

And also, why does the 60D more more room for growth? Sorry if these are dumb rear end questions.

Mostly the controls and the top LCD screen. When you get to the point of configuring your camera on the fly with the settings you need, the setup on the higher end bodies make the process a lot easier and more intuitive.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yeah. A longtime rebel user might have all their exposure/composition nailed down but throw them a 7D or a 5D series body and it will confuse them for a good while. If you start out with a 60D it isn't nearly as much of a learning curve.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

What's this thread's opinion on the 24mm 2.8 IS? The 40 2.8 and 85 1.8 are on my must-buy list but I know nothing about that 24, wondering if there are other options (I really like the 24mm focal length)

e: just sticking to primes for now (and probably forever)

d0s fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 8, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Clearly I should put my slightly damaged 60D (alternately, enhanced to remove the stupid mode select lock 60D) back on Amazon Marketplace.

I do miss all the identical spam messages asking to buy it outside Amazon's payment system.

The 7Dii is still a bit of a learning curve. That AF system is crazyballs.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

d0s posted:

What's this thread's opinion on the 24mm 2.8 IS? The 40 2.8 and 85 1.8 are on my must-buy list but I know nothing about that 24, wondering if there are other options (I really like the 24mm focal length)

e: just sticking to primes for now (and probably forever)

It's a nice light prime with great IS. If you put the shutter on silent , you can handhold it at crazy low speeds on a 6D.

Edit: Other options would be getting into the 1.4's which are vastly different lenses - much much larger, and much much more expensive. Sigma Art or Canon there - the Samyang is, in this instance, kinda crummy, and it doesn't get good till after 2.8.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
If you have a full frame body your #1 priority should be the 135mm f2L, skip the 85.

e: I own both.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 8, 2015

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
That's questionable...I've found the 135L a little bit too long to shoot comfortably indoors. Excepting stuff like stage productions, hockey rinks, basketball games, etc.

But if you only shoot portraits outdoors then yeah 135L all the way and don't look back

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The 135 is also triple the price of the 85.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I never liked the 85. I owned one for a few months and sold it. 35, 50, 100, 135 are the best focal lengths for me. 85mm is just a really awkward focal length when I'm using it, the 100mm feels a lot more natural to me, and 135 is just magic if you have the space for it. *shrug*

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The 135L is magical, but it does require the right settings. At weddings, I'll have my second shooter just stroll around and snipe 135mm natural candids of the guests. Those almost always get the best reaction when turning over the gallery.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Honestly I'm probably going to try both the 85mm 1.8 and 100mm f2 to see which one I like better, by abusing the liberal B&H return policy. My last lens around that focal length was about 90mm (it was the Olympus 45mm for m4/3) so I'm not sure if I want it a little wider or a little closer yet. The 135L is beautiful but I can't afford that.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Shampy posted:

edit:
This kit seems like a bargain:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-T5i-Professional-lightweight/dp/B00KXG0RCC/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1433773398&sr=1-2&keywords=t5i

Why should we steer away from this?

Point by point breakdown of why that kit is poo poo:

You mainly get:
* a T5i which is a decent camera (but a 60D is nicer if you are ok with having a bulkier camera).
* 18-55 IS - it doesn't say in the description if it's the IS STM or the older and less good IS

* 2 transcend memory cards of moderate capacity, for reasons I guess. Transcend cards are ok and aren't likely to fail on you, but putting a 8 and 16gb card in the kit instead of a 32 gb one is pretty obvious dumping of leftover stock and you will lose the one that's not in your camera :v:
* a ~*~professional~*~ wide angle lens, which is actually a screw-on converter and crap (all are crap compared to an actual lens, and the generic ones in kits are particularly crap)
* a ~*~professional~*~ tele lens, which is actually a screw-on converter and crap (all are crap compared to an actual lens, and the generic ones in kits are particularly crap)
* lovely filters that will flare terribly
* a flash that's as good as the integrated one at best and probably is a manual flash which you don't want for casual photography
* a ~*~professional~*~ ~*~durable~*~ tripod which is actually cheap alumininum tubing held together by flimy plastic, and will wobble all the time and break

* various small bits and pieces which are ok but not terribly important (except the remote control, which is hard to get wrong)

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

blowfish posted:

(except the remote control, which is hard to get wrong)

You'd be surprised how bad those IR remotes can be. I have a targus one that I basically have to be completely square to the grip and 3 feet or less away to make it work (thus completely and totally useless)

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I just want to pop in and say that the Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 is by far the best digital lens I have ever owned. If you can deal with giving up autofocus, it is worth it 1,000,000%. Makes the standard Canon 50, even the expensive one, look and feel like a cheap toy in comparison.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

d0s posted:

Whoa, that's nuts, apparently it doesn't even need to be broken now. I wish I hadn't sold my powershot G5 a few years ago.

It never needed to be, but it's cheaper if you don't already have one.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
That it may be.

But I've never understood why you have to pay 4 figures (or close to it for the sigma ART) for a "good" 50mm that is reasonably sharp across the frame, low CA when wide open and decently built. The double gauss design is older than anyone living on this planet and yet its progress has moved so god awfully slow.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The Yongnuo nifty fifty clone is like $50.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Seamonster posted:

That it may be.

But I've never understood why you have to pay 4 figures (or close to it for the sigma ART) for a "good" 50mm that is reasonably sharp across the frame, low CA when wide open and decently built. The double gauss design is older than anyone living on this planet and yet its progress has moved so god awfully slow.

I'm going to assume they can't do much more with that design or they would? That's why all the pimpslap 50's are retrofocal designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
The 100mm f2 USM is insane value for money, it is my go-to portrait lens.