Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

pun pundit posted:

Plasma is nothing new to Exalt, they've been fighting aliens after all. When you get alloy cannons, though...

I kind of wonder what the aliens think when that shows up. "Is that the best thing you could think to do with our extremely high tech metals? Really?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Tomn posted:

To be honest, throughout that whole update I kept expecting EXALT to freak out over the fact that "Wait, they have PLASMA now? That's not fair, we only just got our lasers! AAAAAAAGH"

Well, it looks like Exalt's own HQ, or research facilities built, like, 5 Gene Labs, and apparently haven't heard of the Foundry or the Mech Bay. So it's obvious that they don't have the resources to pour into mechanical development.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I kind of wonder what the aliens think when that shows up. "Is that the best thing you could think to do with our BLARGH"

(Alternate joke: what we do with their high-tech metals will be the last thing on their minds.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My top picks for psychic XCOM members are Cam, Zhang, Zinchenko, Eva and Hugo. Annette's guaranteed.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Calling it now, Annette will turn up negative for Psionics and will have to be explained away with her not being able to control them or something.

That said, you keep up your good work Speedball! I always enjoy returning here and seeing new updates.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

FredMSloniker posted:

(Alternate joke: what we do with their high-tech metals will be the last thing on their minds.)

What's REALLY good is when you manage to deploy a ship with a Fusion Lance. Only humanity would be crazy enough to rip the main cannon out of a battleship, miniaturize it enough to cram it into a fighter jet, and then just let the drat thing loose.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Luhood posted:

Calling it now, Annette will turn up negative for Psionics and will have to be explained away with her not being able to control them or something.

That said, you keep up your good work Speedball! I always enjoy returning here and seeing new updates.

I'm pretty sure Annette (and her buddies) is a guaranteed positive, basically something to ensure that you can proceed with the plot even if you pick the "psionics are rare as hell" Second Wave option and get unlucky.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Agent Interrobang posted:

What's REALLY good is when you manage to deploy a ship with a Fusion Lance. Only humanity would be crazy enough to rip the main cannon out of a battleship, miniaturize it enough to cram it into a fighter jet, and then just let the drat thing loose.

Jets can't actually mount the Fusion Lance, though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I kind of wonder what the aliens think when that shows up. "Is that the best thing you could think to do with our extremely high tech metals? Really?"

I've always been fascinated with how quite often, when it's not "Let's just throw antimatter at it, problem solved!" stuff, as Sci-Fi reaches the height of technology it realizes what we knew all along.

Throwing rocks at things is the best.

EDIT: vvv I'm just getting this mental image of a Sassy Green Lantern giving Batman poo poo.

"The Magnum fires construct bullets, that's baaaaad. The baseball travels at relativistic speeds. But that's okay, because it's not a gun."

Then batman sighs, and just throws a packet of 2 dollars worth of arts and crafts full of spray adhesive and yellow glitter at them out of spite.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 12, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

I've always been fascinated with how quite often, when it's not "Let's just throw antimatter at it, problem solved!" stuff, as Sci-Fi reaches the height of technology it realizes what we knew all along.

Throwing rocks at things is the best.

Never underestimate the power of a pebble moving at .9c.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Never underestimate the power of a pebble moving at .9c.

Yeah, this is why I made it clear that the aliens are here to raid the earth rather than blow it up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Everyone say it with me, kids, "Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest sonofabitch in space."

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Everyone say it with me, kids, "Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest sonofabitch in space."

God DAMMIT! I even hear it in my head with the Sargent's loud, angry voice. And I haven't played any ME in YEARS. Just goes to show how the little things sometimes stick more than the bight things.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haha. I love you guys.

Okay, I got half of the next update done. Expect it tomorrow night.

Gotta finish this thing before XCOM 2 comes out, after all...

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Speedball posted:

Gotta finish this thing before XCOM 2 comes out, after all...

XCOM2 - The Commander has a nightmare on the eve of the final battle?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM 2: Speedball Disappears From The Internet For About Three Months, Presumed Abducted.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
XCOM2: Turns out the events of Speedball's XCOM LP was actually Sectoid interrogation of the Commander to find out his secrets, stopped and rescued at the last moment by the remaining XCOM agents who survived.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Speedball posted:

XCOM 2: Speedball Disappears From The Internet For About Three Months, Presumed Abducted.

Twice. Don't forget that >30% of the game will be delayed for a year and cost extra. :v:

Sky Shadowing posted:

Hey now, XCOM:EU was legitimately a great game, EW just made it better.
Not that I disagree on either point; just that Firaxis seem to have their strategy down to a simple routine: make a good game and then maximize profit per development_cycle per intellectual_property. They aren't a cash-in-burn-out speedrun studio.

...and more to the point, expansions generally add significantly more complex/dynamic content which gives Speedball more to work with when building crazy-rear end narratives.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 13, 2015

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Hey now, XCOM:EU was legitimately a great game, EW just made it better.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

silentsnack posted:

...and more to the point, expansions generally add significantly more complex/dynamic content which gives Speedball more to work with when building crazy-rear end narratives.

Pretty much so, MELD and MECing and all the new grenade types and new missions in EW allowed for a lot more flexibility in both game and constructed narrative.

Fortunately, Firaxis usually doesn't do pointless horse armor DLC (with one exception to XCOM:EU itself with that one cosmetic pack, but whatever)

I don't think I'll be able to have a character who goes around carrying nothing but electroflares, though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Is there a special way to install Long War or something? I got the entire X-Com lineup and want to finally try it but the blasted thing won't work right.

Edit: Never mind I'm just dumb.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 14, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

I don't think I'll be able to have a character who goes around carrying nothing but electroflares, though.

Rookie/Squaddie with a stock rifle and two flashbangs?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, editing the images now, but good news, someone tested positive.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Speedball posted:

good news, someone tested positive.

It's not often that these words are good news!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 40: MIND BULLETS!

We may be on to something, Commander. Our latest candidate is… different. We’re picking up levels of psionic energy unlike any we’ve detected in previous tests.

Ever since mankind first looked up at the stars, we have wondered what lies beyond. So very few have dared to look inward...

The depths of the human mind hold more secrets than we can possibly imagine. How ironic that the means to defeat our enemy comes not through weapons or machines of war, but from within. And if we have succeeded... we will have gained a glimpse of what we are to become. We will have created something... extraordinary.

BLAAUAUUUGGHHH!
Er, uh…

YAAAIIIIGGH!
Oh! Uh… do you… are you alright?

Ahh… ahh…

Actually… yeah. I feel great.

Whoah. This is awesome! I’ll never need a flashlight again! Ha ha ha ha ha! Sweeeeeet!

Awww, what the hell? I go through over a week of testing and I got nothin’? My willpower’s almost as high as Cam’s.
Sorry.
Bah. Not your fault. I guess I’ll just have to content myself with having other superpowers like seeing people through walls and giving attacking sectoids brain aneurisms.

Hmm, looks like your handle on your powers is pretty basic, for now. You’ll have to practice in the field, but for starters you should have no problem just making their nervous system go nuts.
Yeah, but can she read minds?
Feels more like… smelling minds. There’s stuff wafting off of you and it feels like… stuff.

Holy crap, talk about good timing. Cam, I know you’re still groggy after a week and a half of testing, but there’s a huge UFO landing out there and we need to take it out now before it starts abducting people!

Mmm. After this mission I’ll get tested next. Hugo should be tested too.
Heh heh. I already have the ability to read the mind of my kid, as all moms do. If I get psychic powers beyond that, it’ll just be a bonus.
I’ve got some sort of psychic lure grenade that might draw the enemy into our midst…maybe. Hrm.

Anybody remember when we were normal people? It seems so long ago.
You mean, do I remember when I was a petty spy and couldn’t rocket-jump or lift cars, Zhang was just a criminal, Monique was a fashion designer, and you were just a failed game developer without a girlfriend?
…okay, good point.
Yeah, those days sucked. I was old back then!

And I’ve got nothing to be nostalgic for.
Oh. Sorry! Sorry.

Oh my GOD aliens are actually mutilating cattle! I thought that only happened in the movies!
They must be running out of biomass for their experiments after we blew up their base. We’d better stop them before they start sending horrible minotaur-aliens after us.
Actually, that would be pretty loving sweet. I always wanted to kill a minotaur. I’ve already slain a medusa.
…what kind of work did you do before XCOM tapped you?

Bugh! Don’t step in it. Guh. I think I see a meld canister to the notheast.

Mectoid and Sectoids to the northwest, coming out of the ship!

There, you’re smoked! Get closer. Yoko, try to hit the Mectoid with your EMP bullet! Latisha, take out one of the greys!

Got it! It’s helpless, but not for long.

Niiice arc on that bloodspray.

Right, I’ll try thinking at the other sectoid really hard… Rrrrr… RRRRRGHHHH!!! RRRRGGGGHH!

IT WORKS! Hahahahaha! I HAVE MIND BULLETS!
That’s telekinesis, Cam.

It’s re-arming. Zhang! Get your rear end over here, you’ve got anti-armor weapons!
Coming, coming!
Me too! Huff, huff…

There, now it can’t counterattack. Someone get that meld before it self-destructs.
On it, on it!

It’s running!
You missed.
Aaah, screw shooting, I have magic powers. I’ll slow it down by willpower alone!

Thank you, Cam. Perfect line-up…

Woo! Great job, Yoko!
Heh. Thanks.

Oh, poo poo! Seekers! Leroy, get your butt over here NOW!
I’m on the opposite side of the ship! Gah! Coming!

LEERROYggggguuuchchhh…
MOM!

More incoming! Look out!

Get the gently caress off my mom!

Hhkkk… thanks… now I know why you hate those things…
Mom, get to cover, fast, there’s more incoming.

Can barely walk… but can… grapple…

Well, don’t leave me out here in the middle of nowhere! *sigh* Coming!

FUUUUCK! AUGH drat YOU!

Time to return the favor. Leroy, you and me flank that sectoid and blow it away, take that shield down. Zhang and Mimi, finish the big boy!

Hope this works…

Got it! Punch that fucker into the ground!

Mectoid weakened.

ELBOW STRIKE OF DEATH!

Christ, Cam, your face is almost hanging off. You need to take better care of yourself. Let me patch you up.

Here’s the rest of the meld. You alright, kid?
Gggg… owwwww! Mental powers don’t make you immune to plasma. Must remember that.

AHA! There’s the other seeker. You die now!

It keeps dodging our attacks! HELL!

THERE! Finally.
Do you ever miss?
The last time I missed, Allen died.
Oh. Uh… sorry…

Here, there’s the bridge, probably more Sectoids in it. Let’s use this beacon, try to draw them out into our kill zone.
Good thinking.

They’re not going for it. I can sense at least one behind the wall… Breach?
gently caress it. Breach!

Three of ‘em! Let Cam and me take point, we have brain spikes!

OWWWW! They’re frying my brain! It HURTS!

Get OUT OF MY HEAD! G— Everything. Is. Normal.
AAaah, poo poo! Brain spikes don’t make us immune to mind control! I’m coming!

Got the controller, hit the other one!

Here goes.

Got him! Is that all?

NO! Got some kind of huge Super-Muton over here in red, with wolverine claws! Get over here NOW!
Holy poo poo, there is a Minotaur-Alien! Haha!
Capture it if you can, team… we’ve never seen one like that.

Ha! They’re being drawn to the beacon. I think its noise must be driving them crazy.
Try to weaken it. We’ll stun it once it can’t move too good. Kill the rest.

That just made it mad, it’s coming for us!

If this doesn’t work, let it pound me, I can come back from almost anything.

AAAAH! It didn’t work! Oh SHIIIIIIIT—

Got it. Phew. What an rear end in a top hat. It just wouldn’t STOP.

Good job. Successful test of the mimic beacon, our improved Arc Throwers, Cam’s psychic potential, and overall, your teamwork ability.
I bet Dr. Vahlen is just itching to get her calipers on that thing’s brain.
It felt no fear. We could use that trait on our, shall we say, less-courageous team members.

Leroy, Queen asked me something, so now I need a favor from you… *whisper whisper*
What are you talking about?
Never you mind!

TO BE CONTINUED

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 19, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I keep forgetting just how much health Sectoid commanders have, even when in the middle of a playthrough. 15 health is a bit of a jump compared to 3.

Your reaction to a low health Berserker went much better than when I did what you tried, at least.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Berserkers are alien speedbumps, essentially. They take up half your squad's turn just taking care of it and preventing you from really pushing against other aliens, giving them some free shots at your guys.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I've never seen mutons hug a beacon like this, though. I shot that Berserker, it ran for Cam, its turn came up, and it went for the beacon AGAIN.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Speedball posted:

I've never seen mutons hug a beacon like this, though. I shot that Berserker, it ran for Cam, its turn came up, and it went for the beacon AGAIN.

:xcom:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I'm disappointed that Cam made no jokes about being a jedi :colbert:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Ha! They’re being drawn to the beacon. I think its noise must be driving them crazy.

Champions Online? Am I wrong?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Siegkrow posted:

I'm disappointed that Cam made no jokes about being a jedi :colbert:

No Lightsabers. :(

Hey, maybe we can get 'Plasma Swords' as a melee option in XCOM2? ;)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just caught up, having read all of this since yesterday evening. Great job crafting a funny narrative with some real investment in the characters.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

I just caught up, having read all of this since yesterday evening. Great job crafting a funny narrative with some real investment in the characters.

Haha. Glad to have you on-board!

The poo poo should start to hit the fan now that we're nearing the end-game...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bloodly posted:

Champions Online? Am I wrong?

The Ironclad Defense would be right up X-Com's alley.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wait, that was your first Muton Berserker this playthorough? :psyduck:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Wait, that was your first Muton Berserker this playthorough? :psyduck:

They only start showing up in this month! I'm actually a bit ahead of the curve.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I can't wait to see how the squad reacts to Ethereals. Also, capturing whenever you can can really help with research. So stuff like capturing your first berserker is going to save you time when you do stuff like begin research on power armour.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Speedball posted:

IT WORKS! Hahahahaha! I HAVE MIND BULLETS!
That’s telekinesis, Cam.

Yes, but does she have the power... to move you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Glazius posted:

Yes, but does she have the power... to move you?

How about the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away?

• Locked thread