Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

— Important offseason dates:

quote:

June 25 - 2015 NBA Draft

July 1 - NBA Free Agency begins (12 a.m. ET)

July 4 — Orlando summer league (two teams from the Orlando Magic, along with the Brooklyn Nets, Charlotte Hornets, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies, Miami Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder.)

July 6 — Utah summer league, a thing this year. (Utah Jazz, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia 76ers and San Antonio Spurs)

July 10 — Las Vegas Summer League (Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets, Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets, Houston Rockets, Golden State Warriors, L.A. Lakers, Miami Heat, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves, NBA D-League Select, New Orleans Pelicans, New York Knicks, Phoenix Suns, Philadelphia 76ers, Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs, Toronto Raptors, Utah Jazz, Washington Wizards)

Draft thread here.

Mark Jackson, human poo poo:

quote:

Kerr overhauled a team culture that had grown poisonous, for well-documented reasons, under Jackson and his assistants. In his zeal to motivate players, Jackson fostered resentment among them and toward the front office. He fired two assistants, requested Jerry West stay away from practices, and asked a younger front-office official to stop rebounding for players, sources have said.

When Ezeli was injured last season, Jackson and his staff told the healthy players that Ezeli was cheering against them — so that he would look good, according to several team sources. Players confronted Ezeli in a meeting, and he wept at the accusation — which he denied.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That Ezeli thing is so hosed up

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Wow, eat poo poo Mark. That's awful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What does that even accomplish?

Its going to blow up in your face, that is why you use someone either outside the franchise or who isn't there enough to defend themselves.

Picking a player who is going to come back is just dumb.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'm still reading but this had me dying in laughter:

quote:

Erman didn’t know much about Thompson when the 2011 lockout lifted and he could finally work out Golden State’s newest first-round pick. They started with a simple shooting drill, Erman recalls: Pick a spot around the arc, and don’t move until you miss. Thompson made 11 in a row from one corner, eight from the wing, and 20 straight from the top of the key. “I was like, ‘Who is this motherfucker?’” Erman remembers. “I texted Bob [Myers] right away: ‘This guy is good.’”

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
From last thread.

Lockback posted:

Cleveland also looked better in the playoffs than they did in the regular season. I think GSW was still the better team, but I think the series would have been tighter in general, and it was already a surprisingly tight series.

It was, but less so in the last few games, and Cleveland slowing things down to an absurd degree (which they wouldn't have with everyone healthy) made it a lot closer than it looked. They also kinda accidentally stumbled on a defense that gave the Warriors fits for a couple games (I imagine Curry in particular would have started going off a lot sooner with Kyrie on him, although obviously they'd give more back at the other end). I absolutely agree that at full strength they had a better chance to win but they'd have also lost some of the stuff they did that gave the Warriors issues, and ultimately Golden State was still a better team all year long.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
From last thread as well (I was replying when it got locked) re: Gambling on MVP

My buddy texted me on Sunday saying he saw the line move on Iguodala MVP and thought about putting $100 on it because "the award will go to the guy who guards Lebron", but didn't.

He texted me this morning loving killing himself over it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also I am stunned that the man who once tried to convince teammates that John Stockton should be benched might have attempted to sow locker room discord

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
But is Mark Jackson worse than Tim Donaghy?

I was thinking of something today: in his interview, he said that when he was in prison, he was forced to join a white power prison gang for protection. Then I thought about the fact that since he was in prison for gambling, he was probably sent to a relatively easy prison.

And indeed, he was at the Penascola Federal Prison Camp (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Prison_Camp,_Pensacola) which is apparently the second "cushiest" Federal Prison in the country. It is mostly where inside traders, grafters and fraudsters go. In other words, I don't really know if there would be a lot of stock brokers getting white power tattoos while serving 12 month sentences for cheating on their taxes.

Just seems another example of Donaghy lying.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
That makes me feel really bad for Ezeli but now he has a championship and Jackson doesn't :D
Gratz to everyone who wanted to Warriors to win and especially Draymond Green's mom who's tweets I enjoyed and Iggy Finals MVP
https://vine.co/v/ebEtdHmxzM2

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Two things:

1) Eventually, Donaghy admitted what he did was wrong. Jackson, to my knowledge has not.

2) You guys think Toronto can get value with their 20th overall pick, or should they move the pick for an asset or try to move up?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

glowing-fish posted:

But is Mark Jackson worse than Tim Donaghy?

I was thinking of something today: in his interview, he said that when he was in prison, he was forced to join a white power prison gang for protection. Then I thought about the fact that since he was in prison for gambling, he was probably sent to a relatively easy prison.

And indeed, he was at the Penascola Federal Prison Camp (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Prison_Camp,_Pensacola) which is apparently the second "cushiest" Federal Prison in the country. It is mostly where inside traders, grafters and fraudsters go. In other words, I don't really know if there would be a lot of stock brokers getting white power tattoos while serving 12 month sentences for cheating on their taxes.

Just seems another example of Donaghy lying.

I imagine even the "nice" federal prision is still pretty lovely.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mark Jackson hates it when his centers gets hurt. Makes him think they are conspiring pansies

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Mark Jackson hates it when his centers gets hurt. Makes him think they are conspiring pansies

If Bogut's twitter is any indication that was a mutual feeling.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Two things:

1) Eventually, Donaghy admitted what he did was wrong. Jackson, to my knowledge has not.

2) You guys think Toronto can get value with their 20th overall pick, or should they move the pick for an asset or try to move up?

Depends on what Toronto needs

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Toronto needs some post scoring to fix up their stagnant offense. Sacramento could be convinced to part with Carl Landry for the 20th overall, but you'll need to throw in something else to sweeten it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Toronto needs some post scoring to fix up their stagnant offense. Sacramento could be convinced to part with Carl Landry for the 20th overall, but you'll need to throw in something else to sweeten it

Seriously, I don't even know if Carl Landry still plays for Sacramento or if at this point you'll still be offering him for trade years after his retirement.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
What would realistically need to happen for Cleveland to not make the NBA finals next year?

Anything short of a LeBron injury?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
I woke up this morning and all the news places still say that the Warriors won. It'll be another couple of days before I'm convinced that this is real, and not just a fever dream induced by huffing the stench of failure that has hovered over this team for my whole life.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Trading a first rounder for old, bad, broken Carl Landry would be incredibly stupid.

Terry Glenn posted:

What would realistically need to happen for Cleveland to not make the NBA finals next year?

Two words.

giannis antetokounmpo.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Metapod posted:

Depends on what Toronto needs

I'd really like to see either Carroll or Millsap but it obviously depends on whether Carroll can fetch $50mill for 4 years. DeMarre&DeMar though? :getin:
Also JV needs to learn to take out the trash in the paint or get somebody who can

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Terry Glenn posted:

Thabo gets a NY concealed weapons permit and hires 5 body guards.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
From the last thread, where MourningView said something about Wiggins not being a good player now and will take like 3 seasons to become one. I would counter that Wiggins's rookie season looks an awful lot to me like Lebron's first season in that they were both relatively inefficient scorers on plays that rookies rarely get opportunities in volume. Also that Wiggins wasn't really an iso type player in college and had to transition into one on the fly, looking pretty good doing it. My bet is that by next season he is going to be loving defenders up regularly, especially if the team can get maybe more than one guy who can shoot on the roster.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
So the Wolves and Lynx are showing off the new Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine center where they'll now practice and rehab and stuff. I pray for some Suns like voodoo to keep Rubio healthy.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Terry Glenn posted:

LeBron...injury?!?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

soggybagel posted:

So the Wolves and Lynx are showing off the new Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine center where they'll now practice and rehab and stuff. I pray for some Suns like voodoo to keep Rubio healthy.

Anthony Bennett is going to arrive on the first day of practice really early and be sorely disappointed.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Terry Glenn posted:

Cavs meet Boston in the playoffs again next year and this time Olynyk rips LeBron's arm out of its socket?

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Terry Glenn posted:

We could see a team make the jump. Miami might through some free agency wizardry be a contender again. Depends a lot on the free agents outside of a team like the Bucks all improving though. I don't think we'll see a lot of actual movement of free agents like Marc Gasol but thaty could change the complexion of the Eastern Conference, if most of them decide to go East. We could see Chicago improve ala GS, along with Rose staying healthy. Maybe Thibs was actually holding back the offense.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dokmo posted:

From the last thread, where MourningView said something about Wiggins not being a good player now and will take like 3 seasons to become one. I would counter that Wiggins's rookie season looks an awful lot to me like Lebron's first season in that they were both relatively inefficient scorers on plays that rookies rarely get opportunities in volume. Also that Wiggins wasn't really an iso type player in college and had to transition into one on the fly, looking pretty good doing it. My bet is that by next season he is going to be loving defenders up regularly, especially if the team can get maybe more than one guy who can shoot on the roster.

I also said he was going to eventually be really good and I've always been a big fan of his as a prospect. It might be a little sooner, but I'd rather have Love if my window to win a title was the next few years. Wiggins had a strong rookie year and has the potential to be great, he's just not there yet because he's still super young. Being less valuable than one of the best offensive players in the league isn't a huge knock.

He wasn't a huge iso guy in college but that's mostly because he was super reluctant to do it, not because that wasn't where his strengths were. He wasn't good at playing off the ball either. When he did look good in the halfcourt it was when he got assertive and did most of the creating for himself (especially in the post, which is his biggest strength as a rookie too), he just didn't do that very often.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Terry Glenn posted:

I think they have maybe the widest range of possibilities of any NBA team, but Chicago has a good chance of mixing it up with Cleveland, especially as I expect Mirotic will be a lot better with another season under his belt. Edge would go to Cleveland, even with the inevitable Kyrie health problems, but I don't think its inevitable.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

I also said he was going to eventually be really good and I've always been a big fan of his as a prospect. It might be a little sooner, but I'd rather have Love if my window to win a title was the next few years. Wiggins had a strong rookie year and has the potential to be great, he's just not there yet because he's still super young. Being less valuable than one of the best offensive players in the league isn't a huge knock.

He wasn't a huge iso guy in college but that's mostly because he was super reluctant to do it, not because that wasn't where his strengths were. He wasn't good at playing off the ball either. When he did look good in the halfcourt it was when he got assertive and did most of the creating for himself (especially in the post, which is his biggest strength as a rookie too), he just didn't do that very often.

You are right he is bad off-the-ball, and in particular he needs to learn how to react and make the right pass when plays break down. Through most of this year if he ended up in a play where he didn't have a very good look, pretty much the only thing he could do is pass it out to reset, instead of looking to make a play for someone else. He has good handles and a nice touch on his passes, but he doesn't see how plays develop very well yet. That would be a killer on a contending team.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MourningView posted:

People seem really really down on Love after one year. Like before he went to Cleveland lots of people would've considered him a top 10 player (and top 5 before that), and suddenly people seem to think he's just average. He doesn't do the things that Bosh did in Miami (especially not the defense), but he's still a great player.

And isn't Wiggins's shot kinda busted? It just seems that for any wing player to be successful now they either need to have exceptional ballhandling/penetration, or have a good outside shot. I'll admit I didn't see much of him at all this year.

And it was probably talked to death in the last thread but Iggy getting the MVP was probably one of the worst I've seen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

You are right he is bad off-the-ball, and in particular he needs to learn how to react and make the right pass when plays break down. Through most of this year if he ended up in a play where he didn't have a very good look, pretty much the only thing he could do is pass it out to reset, instead of looking to make a play for someone else. He has good handles and a nice touch on his passes, but he doesn't see how plays develop very well yet. That would be a killer on a contending team.

Yeah if you squint you can see some Early LeBronish stuff as a scorer and athlete, but LeBron had that amazing court vision going all the way back to high school to the point that people kept wanting him to play point guard early on.

alansmithee posted:

And isn't Wiggins's shot kinda busted? It just seems that for any wing player to be successful now they either need to have exceptional ballhandling/penetration, or have a good outside shot. I'll admit I didn't see much of him at all this year.

It's not great yet but it got better later in the year and I think he has solid form. He's not going to be a great shooter, but I think he'll get to the point where he's a servicable enough one for his other strengths to really shine. It'll just take a bit.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 17, 2015

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

MourningView posted:

Being less valuable than one of the best offensive players in the league isn't a huge knock.

The fact that Wiggins is really good now, really young and improving daily, and on a rookie contract makes him super valuable. The Cavs could have got much more for him. You may be right that Love may have been the best way for them to win now, but I'm not so sure. If they got a player like Ryan Anderson instead of Love would that have affected their championship probabilities that much? The only way trading Wiggins away for Love looks good is if it was a condition of LeBron coming to Cleveland in the first place, which maybe it was.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Klay Thompson in a nutshell

quote:

When he agreed last fall to a near-max contract extension, he wanted to sign it right away, even before his agent arrived, team officials recall. His dog, Rocco, was home alone, and Thompson wanted to go play with him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dokmo posted:

The fact that Wiggins is really good now, really young and improving daily, and on a rookie contract makes him super valuable. The Cavs could have got much more for him. You may be right that Love may have been the best way for them to win now, but I'm not so sure. If they got a player like Ryan Anderson instead of Love would that have affected their championship probabilities that much? The only way trading Wiggins away for Love looks good is if it was a condition of LeBron coming to Cleveland in the first place, which maybe it was.

I am almost positive that getting Love (or someone like that, but Love was the best guy available at the time) was a condition of him coming back.

I think Love's ceiling is a lot higher than Andersons and they will probably eventually figure out a way to use him a bit better in the pick and roll. It takes teams some time to adjust to playing together, Miami didn't really find their offensive identity right away either. I think he was the best player they could realistically get. Outside of Wiggins did they have a ton of great trade assets? Maybe Thompson I guess. Wiggins seems like a really bad fit next to LeBron to me. Going somewhere that forces him to have the ball in his hands a lot seems like the best place for, otherwise it'd play to his tendency to just kinda drift around, and he'd be asked to learn how to do stuff that he's not especially good at (like knock down open threes) for a team that's not really in a position to wait for him to figure that out.

The contract thing is true but I don't think they care too much about that and I'm pretty sure they would have been over the cap either way. I guess maybe not to the degree where they're looking at the harshest penalties though.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 17, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

alansmithee posted:

People seem really really down on Love after one year. Like before he went to Cleveland lots of people would've considered him a top 10 player (and top 5 before that), and suddenly people seem to think he's just average. He doesn't do the things that Bosh did in Miami (especially not the defense), but he's still a great player.

And it was probably talked to death in the last thread but Iggy getting the MVP was probably one of the worst I've seen.

His shot isn't busted, he's still finding his range but he was really dangerous from midrange and he already can create space for his shot. His rookie 3p% and Attempts is fairly comparable to guys like Lebron, Carmelo, Joe Johnson, etc. He won't be a sharpshooter but he'll be fine. The comparisons to Tracy McGrady I think are pretty good, another guy who took some time to find his 3 point shot.

dokmo posted:

I think they would be a in a much worse place with Ryan Anderson, not just for production this year, but because I am fairly certain Love will look a lot better with more time playing with this team.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Illinois Smith posted:

Klay Thompson in a nutshell

Can Rocco teach him how to dribble, or how not to foul when he's already in foul trouble?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Papercut posted:

Can Rocco teach him how to dribble, or how not to foul when he's already in foul trouble?

He's a young guy who just played the most professional basketball of his life and never had teams spending hours scheming on ways to make him look bad. Now that he has that under his belt, Klay will be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's way better off the dribble and scoring around the basket now than he was when he got to the league.

• Locked thread