Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Dr. Poz posted:

I was pretty content with it at first too. The problem is once I went beyond the beaches I hit 9-10 FPS. I guess I could turn some things down, but changing to a non-native resolution is what gives the best performance increase. I have to be careful to choose one with the same aspect ratio and even then it looks like a jagged blurry mess. I'd be perfectly happy if I got 15-20 FPS (even with the occasional freeze up/jankyness) everywhere. It was only last night that I realized that the long grass/open fields seemed to bring on the drop in frame rate to single digits. My current card is a 760 reference board, so it's not overclocked or anything like that and GTAV was already making me visit Newegg.

Turn shadows, post processing, and motion blur to off/low.

Healy posted:

I got the game last night, I'm currently making a guy on 40. How do I find goons though? I'm pretty noob to the game so far and I don't understand the tribe system.
I'm a small man named Guss Chiggins.

Get in mumble and spawn in the north then find the northern island. Once you can see the island you want to find the river that points towards the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Is it just me or is the auto-poop strangely prescient? Last night I was spearing a dodo then a giant bird came down from the heavens to gently caress me up. I immediately pooped.

Same thin happened after a T-Rex bit me later that day. I heard ROAR bite, poop.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I had the best battle of my Ark career so far late last night.

Our forces: 1 Trex, 1 Carno, 1 Argent, 1 Ptera, all with mounts and riders.
Their forces: 2 Trexes, 2 Pteras, 1 Scorpion all with riders and 2 or 3 extra people on foot.

Tride Dickbutts is a smaller tribe on a private server, only 4 people right now. However we are all very organized and have the most advanced tech available right now. I was at the large river intersection that is just South of dead center of the map. Its a great place to tame since it is filled with large populations of every type of dinosaur. I had a level 60 Carno on the ground and the tame was about an hour in. The other 3 members of the tribe came out to help farm prime meats and to level up their respective mounts. It was a pretty normal day until our man on the Argent said "I think there is a guy across the river". The moment he said that, I saw 2 Trexes come crashing over a hill headed directly for me. Luckily, I was close enough to my own Trex that I was able to mount before they reached us. Once they got closer I noticed the other attackers on the scorpion and on foot. They all came straight for me and I knew I was going to die, but god dammit I was going to go out fighting.

My Trex and my friendly Carno stood side-by-side as the enemy rexes attacked. I started running tight circles while spamming the attack on my mouse. It was a giant ball of brown dinosaur parts for a good 20 seconds. That's when I realized my Trex was taking next to zero damage. Either they weren't hitting me or their attacks were so weak it wasn't breaking the skin of my 5000hp Trex. That's when our flyers swooped down and plucked both enemy Rex riders off their mounts at nearly the exact same time. I killed both enemy Trexes with ease and the enemy riders were dropped to the ground at the feet of our Carno. Just as I was lining up an attack on the remaining 5 people on foot, I myself was plucked off my mount by the enemy Ptera that I didn't know was there. He must have been either low level or already injured, because 3 shots with my trusty +175% damage pike took him down. I fell harmlessly at the feet of my Trex and mounted right back up. We cleaned up the rest of the men on the ground and the guy on the scorpion ran away from where he came. My Trex ended the fight with 90% hp, and our Carno had over 50%. They had the drop on us and it was still a bloodbath.

The only loss we incurred was the carno I was trying to tame on the beach. A small price to pay for the 4 sets of painted Flak armor, metal weapons, advanced pistols with ammo and the 2 Trex saddles we looted. Tribe Dickbutts: 1, Wu-Tang Clan: 0.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Prophecy120 posted:

I had the best battle of my Ark career so far late last night.

How's the combat in larger battles on privates? Lots of rubberbanding? Or is it pretty stable?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The game's a year out from release and is as of now totally unoptimized. Fighting one dodo on the beach, they rubberband like crazy. Combat is not stable.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

LuciferMorningstar posted:

How's the combat in larger battles on privates? Lots of rubberbanding? Or is it pretty stable?

Greatly depends on the private server for the most part i have found. Some private and the Official servers have huge problems with combat jank, but the one I play on with friends has pretty much none of the same jank.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Healy posted:

I got the game last night, I'm currently making a guy on 40. How do I find goons though? I'm pretty noob to the game so far and I don't understand the tribe system.
I'm a small man named Guss Chiggins.

Cinnamon and gravy!

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

Greatly depends on the private server for the most part i have found. Some private and the Official servers have huge problems with combat jank, but the one I play on with friends has pretty much none of the same jank.

Yea I started playing on the goons evolved private server and there is 0 lag during combat. The game is 10 times harder now since you can no longer dance around hitting the Dino while they can't hit you back. Only down side is not a lot of players on the server so there will be little pvp but with the dinos being a lot harder the new challenge is actually surviving the dinos.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

So I've been dicking around trying to learn the game playing on a local server, which as you might imagine has its limits in enjoyment (taming ten dilos and then letting them swarm everything was pretty entertaining though). I'm thinking about hopping over to official 40 if I can actually get in these days, but I've got a question about general Mumble etiquette. I've got some weird anxiety issues that sometimes mean I really can't deal with a lot of chatter, how frowned upon would it be to occasionally mute Mumble if I need to? I know that hardly helps with things like, you know, raiding or getting raided (and I wouldn't mute it during those times anyway), but would that be something that would annoy people?

I suppose that question would go for the Rust Mumble too, since my current gaming group is half burnt out after our last adventures and I might be looking at joining in for hijinks there too. Not amazing at either game, but I can gather slave with the best of them.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
How viable are tree houses and water bases? I was playing around with some thatch stuff and the whole tower explodes when you knock out the foundation.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

kartikeya posted:

I've got some weird anxiety issues that sometimes mean I really can't deal with a lot of chatter, how frowned upon would it be to occasionally mute Mumble if I need to? I know that hardly helps with things like, you know, raiding or getting raided (and I wouldn't mute it during those times anyway), but would that be something that would annoy people?

Get to know some people in the group and let them know. Most people are pretty chill about this. I turn off ventrilo/mumble sometimes just because I don't feel like listening to 3 people talking over one another. Happens.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

ColHannibal posted:

How viable are tree houses and water bases? I was playing around with some thatch stuff and the whole tower explodes when you knock out the foundation.

As you've seen, it's not viable.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

On Terra Firma posted:

Get to know some people in the group and let them know. Most people are pretty chill about this. I turn off ventrilo/mumble sometimes just because I don't feel like listening to 3 people talking over one another. Happens.
I set up separate Raiding and Roaming channels in Mumble to cut down on unrelated chatter when people are grouping together

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Can somebody tell me the best place to find a sabertooth? I'm thinking of trying to find one to tame it and have a means of efficiently carving up animals for meat / chitin / keratin.

ColHannibal posted:

Ya, you gotta be careful since knocking out supporting structures will cause the stuff above to come crashing down. You can build a pillar with a ceiling on top of it but if the pillar goes then everything else goes too. You can kinda mitigate this by building walls down from the ceiling that hide the pillar and force somebody to expend more damage to cut their way in to bring things down.

Water bases are not currently viable due to them being well....flooded. That being said they plan to add undersea structures sometime in the development cycle. So you'll be able to have an undersea base. Hopefully it won't have some ridiculous expensive requirements to keep it viable or something.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

lilspooky posted:

Can somebody tell me the best place to find a sabertooth? I'm thinking of trying to find one to tame it and have a means of efficiently carving up animals for meat / chitin / keratin.

Go up some mountains. Same thing for mammoths.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

lilspooky posted:

Ya, you gotta be careful since knocking out supporting structures will cause the stuff above to come crashing down. You can build a pillar with a ceiling on top of it but if the pillar goes then everything else goes too. You can kinda mitigate this by building walls down from the ceiling that hide the pillar and force somebody to expend more damage to cut their way in to bring things down.

Water bases are not currently viable due to them being well....flooded. That being said they plan to add undersea structures sometime in the development cycle. So you'll be able to have an undersea base. Hopefully it won't have some ridiculous expensive requirements to keep it viable or something.

lilspooky posted:

That stinks, I found a great lake on the eastern coast and I had the idea to build a kind of floating base in the middle as it seemed very defendable. I also thought a bridge out to a man made goon island in the ocean seemed cool.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

kartikeya posted:

So I've been dicking around trying to learn the game playing on a local server, which as you might imagine has its limits in enjoyment (taming ten dilos and then letting them swarm everything was pretty entertaining though). I'm thinking about hopping over to official 40 if I can actually get in these days, but I've got a question about general Mumble etiquette. I've got some weird anxiety issues that sometimes mean I really can't deal with a lot of chatter, how frowned upon would it be to occasionally mute Mumble if I need to? I know that hardly helps with things like, you know, raiding or getting raided (and I wouldn't mute it during those times anyway), but would that be something that would annoy people?

I suppose that question would go for the Rust Mumble too, since my current gaming group is half burnt out after our last adventures and I might be looking at joining in for hijinks there too. Not amazing at either game, but I can gather slave with the best of them.

ARK mumble is typical goon mumble. You're going to have a mash of personalities in there all conflicting for voice. 5 people or more talking over one another. (I am a goon chat shitter and I freely admit this) Multiple conversations tripping over one another. Some voices more vocal than others because they are always the voice to comment after anyone makes a statement or asks a question. Nobody worth a poo poo would mind that you mute mumble for your own sanity. I do it all the time when I just don't want to hear people talk about random poo poo or hear how awesome anklyosaurs are every 5 minutes. That's just how it works. Nothing wrong with it. Sometimes you just want some personal chill time to chop trees or mine metal and couldn't be bothered with anything else.

During hectic times such as raids, mumble is a exercise in rear end in a top hat puckering frustration. But in all honestly all the dudes who hang out are pretty cool cats and help isn't hard to find help in game if you need it. Just don't be surprised at the level of chatter sometimes. It happens. People just having fun with other people and like to talk to each other.

Givin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 19, 2015

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

So if I log in and I have to spawn but I logged out inside a building that's still 100% intact, that basically means someone noclipped my house to gaffle my poo poo- right?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is a very fun game and Server 40 goons are nice, even when you shoot a flare into the night right above the base on accident.

Even with all the tweaks, I top out at 25 FPS and average around 15. It's nearly unplayable when combined with the erratic movements of some dinosaurs and the poor hit detection.

The dev team seem really cool and supporting them is something I'd like to do but I'm at the mercy of a future big optimization patch.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

When the server went down for patching, this big fella decided he had enough of the sea and began his journey to the stars.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm just starting out, but the starting beaches seem remarkably dearth of stuff: I pick up rocks, make hatchet & pickaxe, hit trees and scavenge more rocks, but it seems like I lack the resources for anything major- should I be making a boatload of spears and venturing inland?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Alternatively, you could turn your eyes towards the sea and start trying to kill some Megaladons. Their stomachs can sometimes contain metal tools, even a pike. You will also get a buttload of raw meat. Also keep an eye out for airdrops. Green drops at 15, Blue at 25.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wait wtf, I never saw them before, only got eaten from behind once, so I went to take a look and why on earth are they shark-sized? I was expecting something more like

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

Wait wtf, I never saw them before, only got eaten from behind once, so I went to take a look and why on earth are they shark-sized? I was expecting something more like

If they were accurately sized I wager you'd never get anyone near the water ever again. The ocean could hand out blowjobs and Real Life money and I'd be as far inland as loving possible.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

If they were accurately sized I wager you'd never get anyone near the water ever again. The ocean could hand out blowjobs and Real Life money and I'd be as far inland as loving possible.

Forcing you and your fellow goons to organize an army of pterodactyl riders armed with rocket launchers and batman-style shark spray? This sounds like a pretty awesome scenario so far.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
What they should do is re name the megaladon to great white and make the actual megaladon a boss like the dragon for the ocean

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
wtf. A giant beaver. just :wtf:

JAT, Community Manager posted:

A new Dino Dossier has been revealed, this one is everyone’s favorite giant beaver!

Our tribe was shattered by the impulses of one reckless individual - Twathammer. Can a Giant Beaver truly save us and restore Order? Jat, I submit to you that It cannot.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 20, 2015

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

watching the chat live now, grats, Twathammer; I haven't seen people get this pissy in a multiplayer game in a while :)

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Grey Fox posted:

watching the chat live now, grats, Twathammer; I haven't seen people get this pissy in a multiplayer game in a while :)

Honestly the fallout from tonight has been the best in a while. He's been going at it for like 5 hours, I've just logged off and he was still at it so, probably more in him left to go. Poor darwinism has been tormenting that poor oval office the entire time.

Edit*
The saga continues.
[After the whole, taking his 2 t-rex's and 3 carnos ect]

From this nights evening of fun. Props to kuobuki for snapping these up.

Honestly, there are so many screencaps of the cat that it got too much. Visceral and co have been salty as poo poo since we went rolling around the map with sky cancer. I took some but not too many from my own view, http://imgur.com/a/HsD5A

TwatHammer fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 20, 2015

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Dare I ask?

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I can guarantee chat is going to be salty as poo poo for the next few days. Or untill the whiny pissbabys decide to jump ship.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
Realistically the chat is always going to be salty in a game where bases are so easy to level. I'm still surprised that one guy kept going at it for so long before deciding to tell people about his stock trading, opinions on taxes, and other inane poo poo before I think he gave up and left.

I also think I can safely assume it was your raiding party that found my not so secret cliff base, seeing as its pretty visible from the sea side. :saddowns:

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

TwatHammer posted:

A pile of salt to rival the pacific ocean.

This pleases me.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ark global chat is a total horror show. You pretty much know when 3/4 of your screen is someone called "Shrekkunt" shouting on about the fact that he smoked a real live weed and everyoneelse are 'nubs' and 'cunts'. Dear loving god, I'm surrounded by 12 year olds

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

ComradeBigT posted:

Realistically the chat is always going to be salty in a game where bases are so easy to level. I'm still surprised that one guy kept going at it for so long before deciding to tell people about his stock trading, opinions on taxes, and other inane poo poo before I think he gave up and left.

I also think I can safely assume it was your raiding party that found my not so secret cliff base, seeing as its pretty visible from the sea side. :saddowns:

Oh that was you!

I hope your experience with Malaysia airlines does not sour your experience of flying :v: You should probably join the goon tribe if you want your stuff left alone, anything that doesn't come up green is fair game at the moment. We're set to personal ownership so your built stuff remains yours.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

TwatHammer posted:

I can guarantee chat is going to be salty as poo poo for the next few days. Or untill the whiny pissbabys decide to jump ship.

That same Bob guy was trying to find you tonight for some other plot.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Man, the whole "server full" thing really gets me down. A lot of those 70 slot servers really need to be upgraded, or a way provided to move assets between servers more easily.

Or at least a queue system added. I can wait if needs be (Hell its not like the ridiculous load time isn't already a problem), but having to mash F5 constantly just gets annoying.

The average of 40-50 people server I've built up on now seems to be perpetually full. Combined with this games habit of randomly kicking me out a second or two into finally logging on, its super frusturating :(

duck monster fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 20, 2015

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Shadefyre posted:

That same Bob guy was trying to find you tonight for some other plot.

No idea what that guy wants.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Just incase anyone comes across a level 30 Spinosaur.

:stare: