Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
THE FIGHT IS BACK ON!

Follow-up x-rays were negative, Aldo has only a bone bruise.

I'm sure it hurt like hell and he thought it was broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Bundt Cake posted:

The silent sigh of relief Aldo's fans let out when Mendes beats McGregor

why so we can watch aldo/mendes 3?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The UFC has also announced a back-up plan. If Aldo can't fight on the 11th for any reason, McGregor fights Mendes for the interim title.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Somewhere in Jersey a canine dad can be heard yelling, "What about Frankie??"

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
So, is it really a bone bruise, or did Aldo find a doctor willing to say the right things, and everyone is going to play along? Can NV order an x-ray?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Aldo better walk out with taped ribs like DDP

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

slev posted:

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-UFC-189

Aldo still in, but Mendes will fight McGregor if Aldo can't fight.

Wow, so I was going to bet heavy on Aldo, the odds where even before the injury.
Now Brovada isn't even letting you bet on that fight.

wtf... Brovada is showing "Rory "Red King" Macdonald"
When did he change to Red King?

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
"Oh hey, Conor? Yeah, I know you're a cash cow and we should keep coddling you, but dig this: Now you have to prepare for Chad Mendes, too. Y'know, just in case. No biggie. Thanks. Love, Dana."

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Wow, so I was going to bet heavy on Aldo, the odds where even before the injury.
Now Brovada isn't even letting you bet on that fight.

wtf... Brovada is showing "Rory "Red King" Macdonald"
When did he change to Red King?

A while ago. "Rory" comes from the old Gaelic for Red King (rua ri, IIRC). Names based on Rua could also mean fiery temper, red-haired, or ruddy-faced.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Somewhere in Jersey a canine dad can be heard yelling, "What about Frankie??"

poor fwanky

If Aldo fights and wins its good news for him, anything else i just see him sitting on the side waiting for that call

Northjayhawk posted:

So, is it really a bone bruise, or did Aldo find a doctor willing to say the right things, and everyone is going to play along? Can NV order an x-ray?

:tinfoil:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Aldo will Lose

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Aldo's camp was saying if he is out October will be the soonest he can fight again.

I read that, I guess I just don't get how it's either he's ok in a few weeks or he's out till October.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Chris James 2 posted:

Aldo will Lose

30 day probation bet on it? :toxx: ?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Whats the recovery time for a bruised rib? Can aldo do anything between now and the fight? Gotta keep some cardio atleast.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

A serious rib injury is going to make it really loving tough for Aldo to win this fight. Despite some people inexplicably thinking Conor is just all hype despite him looking awesome in every UFC fight he's ever had, he's a really good loving fighter and was a hard matchup for Jose pre-injury let alone post-injury.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

bokamotoESPN posted:

I just spoke to NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar regarding Aldo's bruised rib.

bokamotoESPN posted:

Aguilar stated the NSAC will conduct its own analysis to confirm for itself Jose Aldo does not have a fractured rib.

bokamotoESPN posted:

Aguilar says that obviously, NSAC is aware of the reports and will be thorough in evaluation of Aldo. Its physicians will have final say.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

That's unbelievable stupid of the UFC if Aldo ends up having to pull out but would have been ready a few weeks later. A few months then I get it, but if he's on track to fight right now I don't see how it could take that long. The card would survive without the fight; I don't get this move at all.

Actually I like that move a lot. You're giving Aldo the opportunity to fight but if he fails to make it a top featherweight is ready to step-in and keep the main event intact. It would be great if every major UFC card had a decent contingency plan available for the main event right up until the night of the fight.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/613897975253721088]

[url=https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/613898163972255744]

[url=https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/613898522753019904]

I am really surprised

Surprised that NSAC is aware of anything

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I would think moving this fight to UFC 191 on Labor Day weekend would have sufficed just fine. This wasn't a UFC 151 or UFC 176 where the card would have to be canned because of the main event being scrapped; as Fork just pointed out it's still a quality card even without the fight. Sure, some people would be hosed because they spent good money on Aldo/McGregor, but poo poo happens. They'll still enjoy a good card along with all the fight week poo poo. They'd get over it.

Wonder if December is too quick a turnaround for the re-match to take place in the Garden?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Chris Weidman owns

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/legalize-mma-new-york-ufc-chris-weidman/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LobsterMobster posted:

I am really surprised

Breaking news: NSAC has announced that there are a "few million" reasons why they've decided to allow the fight to go ahead "I'm no Doctor" said Francisco Aguilar, "But I'm pretty sure fight will happen as long as Aldo has two arms and two legs."

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Wise Learned Man posted:

"Oh hey, Conor? Yeah, I know you're a cash cow and we should keep coddling you, but dig this: Now you have to prepare for Chad Mendes, too. Y'know, just in case. No biggie. Thanks. Love, Dana."

In that case he should just say gently caress it and keep training for Aldo. Aldo wants to strike with him, which makes at least a live dog, but I don't know if he could beat Mendes or Edgar if he had a year to prepare, let alone three weeks.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I don't think Conor is going to be an underdog in this fight anymore.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
This is all a work to keep Aldo strong

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LobsterMobster posted:

I am really surprised

EazyBreezy
Jul 9, 2009

Really good read. Weidman never comes off as super articulate (though I admit I mostly hear him at weigh ins/post fight) so it's cool to see him write really well.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Oh, this is why you never bet on MMA!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
aldo is still gonna run through mcgregor

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.

Skip My Posts posted:

Lol how does that fire effect you in any way?

the joke is that he's taunting the mma gods by saying "what else could go wrong" I was not referring to the fire. apparently I am really as funny as I am flexible.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ty1990 posted:

I would think moving this fight to UFC 191 on Labor Day weekend would have sufficed just fine. This wasn't a UFC 151 or UFC 176 where the card would have to be canned because of the main event being scrapped; as Fork just pointed out it's still a quality card even without the fight. Sure, some people would be hosed because they spent good money on Aldo/McGregor, but poo poo happens. They'll still enjoy a good card along with all the fight week poo poo. They'd get over it.

Wonder if December is too quick a turnaround for the re-match to take place in the Garden?

The problem is a fuckload of people have trips from Ireland booked and they probably don't want to pull Conor from the card completely unless there's literally no choice.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This whole thing is a ploy by Aldo's team to get idiots to bet on McGregor so they can rake in absurd money.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
lol

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bubba Smith posted:

It would be great if every major UFC card had a decent contingency plan available for the main event right up until the night of the fight.

That's a bit of a nightmare for the poor guys earmarked as a replacement "please do another training camp in case we need you to fight but you most likely won't".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

xcore posted:

That's a bit of a nightmare for the poor guys earmarked as a replacement "please do another training camp in case we need you to fight but you most likely won't".

No it'd be more like what happened with Soto/Dillashaw, but better organized - have another reasonably-ranked fighter in the same weight class as the main event on tap to bring into play, but scheduled to fight a lesser opponent lower on the card.

It wouldn't have worked here, though.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fozzy The Bear posted:

30 day probation bet on it? :toxx: ?

Nah, I'm no Atom, and I already used up my monthly dose of good MMA luck saving the world from Ken Shamrock beating Kimbo

Dana rules sometimes

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Lol

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CommonShore posted:

No it'd be more like what happened with Soto/Dillashaw, but better organized - have another reasonably-ranked fighter in the same weight class as the main event on tap to bring into play, but scheduled to fight a lesser opponent lower on the card.

It wouldn't have worked here, though.

Yeah for sure. I thought that's what they normally did, but i guess they're so loving stretched with all their BS shows that they can't do it anymore.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

CommonShore posted:

have another reasonably-ranked fighter in the same weight class as the main event on tap to bring into play, but scheduled to fight a lesser opponent lower on the card.

UFC has been doing exactly that for years but that isn't necessary for what I'm talking about. Whenever there's a big fight on the line, such as Aldo vs McGregor or the upcoming Weidman vs Rockhold and such, it wouldn't hurt UFC to have a backup ready to go. In this case Chad Mendes isn't booked to fight anybody and in the future Jacare isn't scheduled to fight anybody either.

if UFC did it for every championship fight that would be a little excessive, like if Werdum vs Miocic gets postponed nobody is really going to care, but for the big drawing fights I don't see why it would hurt to have a contingency plan in place.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

the joke is that he's taunting the mma gods by saying "what else could go wrong" I was not referring to the fire. apparently I am really as funny as I am flexible.

I'm retard so maybe it was me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

EazyBreezy posted:

Really good read. Weidman never comes off as super articulate (though I admit I mostly hear him at weigh ins/post fight) so it's cool to see him write really well.

Most pieces like this are pretty heavily revised and embellished by an editor. Nobody's writing goes unmolested into a real publication. The best editors are able to preserve the contributor's voice while making them sound more polished and put together.

Often, the article is actually even an interview, with the interviewer editing it afterward to turn the contributor's answers into a cohesive story without altering the intent too much. A baseball book, The Glory of Their Times, that I'm reading right now uses that method. I actually had to take a whole class on writing on behalf of other people in my undergrad writing degree, and it's pretty crazy how the best editors in sports and political journalism can make an op-ed seem like it's straight from the contributor's mouth.

That said, his stories of spending time with family in MSG and wanting to do it again while competing in front of them were very moving. It's a good piece.

• Locked thread