Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Peak internet right here, in a good way:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I seriously don't loving believe this. I did not think this would happen in my lifetime, or at least decades from now. I'm so glad to have been proven wrong.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

happyhippy posted:

Until he runs away with YOUR toaster, and what are you going to do then with no toast?

Then i will get a new one and respect my toasters decision to embrace his or her sexuality with their lover.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

hmm i wonder what fox news is making of this

(3:16 PM, CDT)

nothing to see here citizen, its business as usual in foxland

...and dangit, when i went on imgur to upload that, these ones were just too good not to include:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLfc44o-AxY

This is gorgeous

Host was crying and now talking to Tony Perkins

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

So as of 3 PM today, the eight largest cities in Texas are all issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples:

- Houston
- San Antonio
- Dallas
- Austin
- Fort Worth
- El Paso
- Arlington (they're in Tarrant County along with FW)
- Corpus Christi

Suck on that, Abbott and Paxton. :clint:

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Nickoten posted:

I wonder how they felt when SCOTUS defined what "arms" were.

As happy as I am about this decision coming down (as well as the ACA decision yesterday), it does kind of piss me off as a liberal in this country that the liberal issues that get decided are relatively piddly social ones or upholdings of existing laws, while the conservative decisions are things like radically misinterpreting simple terms like "arms" or "people." Seriously, celebrate all you want, but let's not forget about Citizens United vs. FEC and how that actually does undermine the fundamental stability and legitimacy of our democracy.

EDIT: I don't mean to undermine how large a step forward this is for civil rights. No SCOTUS decision has ever brought tears of joy to the corners of my eyes before.

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 26, 2015

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is gorgeous

Yes...this is exactly what I needed. :twisted:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

This is awesome.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rasczak posted:

So as of 3 PM today, the eight largest cities in Texas are all issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples:

- Houston
- San Antonio
- Dallas
- Austin
- Fort Worth
- El Paso
- Corpus Christi

I'm so glad to be proud of my state for a change :3:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is gorgeous

Give me a time? I ain't watching these assholes for that long.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

richardfun posted:

I've read about Poe's Law, but this is the first time I'm truly stumped.

I can't tell if this is from a bunch of homophobes, or if it's satire.

It's definitely on the line, but in the absence of context I'm going to assume it was intended as homophobic, just due to the "Your Free Speech Will Not Be Tolerated" bit at the bottom. Satires usually don't bother engaging homophobes on that particular narrative.

Doesn't mean it can't be appropriated with a little editing.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Houston Mayor Annise Parker on same-sex marriage

quote:

At last! What a joyous, historic day for America, the LGBT community, individual families, the institution of marriage and the fight for equality. I used to think that I would not see this day in my lifetime. In recent years, however, it's been clear that personal hearts and minds, and the courts, were headed in this direction. Marriage is about love, commitment, and family. Couples who make that commitment deserve to be respected under law, with the full legal protections that accompany a marriage license. Finally, they are!

This was her wedding last year.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i wanted to be optimistic of georgia but basically every rep is saying what a failure this is of our nation, rip

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

This video was made back during the Alabama debacle, but I still think it's pretty much what I'm feeling right now: https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.addaway/videos/10204098913453064/

"No signs of homosexuals here on my brush pile doing homosexual things."

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Rand Paul will be elected president and his first order will be taking over the Supreme Court and replacing everybody with Fox News commentators.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rasczak posted:

- Houston
- San Antonio
- Dallas
- Austin
- Fort Worth
- El Paso
- Corpus Christi

Only he's the mayor instead of the president.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ahhhhh, there's Roy Moore of Alabama :allears:

quote:

Alabama’s grandstanding conservative Christian Chief Justice Roy Moore has vowed that he and his religious group will defy the Supreme Court’s ruling on marriage equality at the state level.

According to Right Wing Watch, on Friday Moore shared a Facebook update by his wife Kayla Moore, who said that their Foundation for Moral Law — an anti-LGBT group that is attempting to inject far-right Christian theology into the daily workings of government — will steadfastly oppose marriage equality in Alabama, calling the Court’s ruling “illegitimate.”

“Today the Supreme Court voted 5-4 to reverse a ruling by the Sixth Circuit Court of appeals that had upheld the marriage laws of Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee, holding that the right to marry a person of the same sex is guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution,” wrote Kayla Moore. “But the Foundation for Moral Law is blowing the whistle on the illegitimacy of today’s decision.”

She went on, “Not only does the U.S. Supreme Court have no legal authority to redefine marriage, but also at least 2 members of the Court’s majority opinion were under a legal duty to recuse and refrain from voting. Their failure to recuse calls into question the validity of this decision.”

The Foundation for Moral Law, she said, is currently embroiled in an anti-marriage equality case in the “Middle District of Alabama” and that “This means we’ve got more work to do, but we are determined to do it…There are issues in this case that the Supreme Court’s decision didn’t resolve.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/alabama-justice-roy-moore-vows-to-block-illegitimate-marriage-equality-ruling-at-state-level/

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Could be a few federal marshals spending their weekend in Mississippi & Alabama, for which I am mightily sorry.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Rad, if he wants to fall on his sword and pay out the rear end more power to him.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Georgia reps can cry all they want cause there is jack poo poo they can do about it.

http://www.dailyreportonline.com/ho...=20150526164258

quote:

Within two hours of the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling legalizing same-sex marriage, Georgia's attorney general issued a memo to state agencies and department heads requiring the state to recognize same-sex marriage "in the same way it recognizes marriage between a man and a woman."

What a fantastic and surreal day. Part of me still doesn't believe it. 15 gay couples got married at the Fulton County court house in Atlanta today and I'm seeing pictures of them getting their licenses in the same exact spot where my wife and I got ours. :911:

Iron Twinkie fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 26, 2015

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Iron Twinkie posted:

Georgia reps can cry all they want cause their is jack poo poo they can do about it.

yeah it's still lovely all our loving reps are being dickheads about it tho

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I slept in late. I didn't even know this might happen today. But then I idly clicked on Twitter an hour ago and I've been reading things and crying with joy since. Congratulations, everyone.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
The gayest day ever. I've been smiling all day. I encourage everyone looking for some sweet salt to read the 4 individual dissents from SCOTUS. Congrats everyone!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
The tears have been delicious

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

sword_man.gif posted:

i wanted to be optimistic of georgia but basically every rep is saying what a failure this is of our nation, rip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLqz2taVE58

Full video of a mass marriage ceremony in Atlanta today. It's really :3:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

"At least 2"

What's the cause for that? Because they were women?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Well Scalia should have recused himself because there is separation of church and state and he is the Dark Lord Satan.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

"(Moore's wife) went on, 'Not only does the U.S. Supreme Court have no legal authority to redefine marriage, but also at least 2 members of the Court’s majority opinion were under a legal duty to recuse and refrain from voting. Their failure to recuse calls into question the validity of this decision.'"

Legal duty? :confused: Is she talking about that thing where a bunch of angry facebook people told RBG and some others they weren't allowed to rule on this because they officiated gay weddings? Are facebook posts legally binding now?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Royal W posted:

"(Moore's wife) went on, 'Not only does the U.S. Supreme Court have no legal authority to redefine marriage, but also at least 2 members of the Court’s majority opinion were under a legal duty to recuse and refrain from voting. Their failure to recuse calls into question the validity of this decision.'"

Legal duty? :confused: Is she talking about that thing where a bunch of angry facebook people told RBG and some others they weren't allowed to rule on this because they officiated gay weddings? Are facebook posts legally binding now?

Two Jews on the bench, that's my guess.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

jkyuusai posted:

Goddamn you for making me cry even more

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

jkyuusai posted:

I'm watching the judge that married my wife and I marry a gay couple. Oh god it just keeps getting dustier in here.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

3 posted:

I'm so glad to be proud of my state for a change :3:

Not a surprise. Texas' cities are largely liberal and have been for some time.

We just have so much goddamn rural area in this state.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So was it Alabama that got the honor of being the last state to legalize gay marriage?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So was it Alabama that got the honor of being the last state to legalize gay marriage?
Mississippi or Louisiana, actually.

Technically it's legal there, they're just being dicks about enforcing the law.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

sword_man.gif posted:

yeah it's still lovely all our loving reps are being dickheads about it tho

On the other hand, I'm considering writing a nice letter to the AG thanking him for quickly and efficiently implementing the changes without being a total dickbag like those other AGs (I probably won't say "dickbag").

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Hasters posted:

No, and if the clerks refuse then in theory the local Federal Judge could order a Marshall to go with the couple to execute the order.

I want to see this, if only to scare the poo poo out of the NC magistrates who were just given the legal right to not perform marriages.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Holy poo poo what is up with Louisiana

quote:

Meanwhile, the Louisiana Clerks of Court Association is advising parish and city clerks to wait until the 25-day period for states to file an appeal of the Supreme Court ruling overturning bans on same-sex marriage, Executive Director Debbie Hudnall said in an interview this week.
Appeal?

I don't think they understand how this works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Holy poo poo what is up with Louisiana

Appeal?

I don't think they understand how this works.

WIthin 25 days, parties can file to request a rehearing. I'm not sure if the court has ever actually granted a rehearing

Edit: specifically a majority of the court has to vote to rehear, and the majority must include at least one justice who joined in the majority opinion.

cowtown fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 26, 2015

• Locked thread