Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Frog Act posted:

i use this to play indie retro pixel art roguelike puzzle platformer games, exclusively.

this thing owned. it had an eject button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a fleeting fondness of the 'vortigaunt', op

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I think I preferred my NES over my Apple II for games not because it had color, but because this thing sucked so much dick.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
ladies
/

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Tromboner posted:

For all your serious gaming needs I present: THRUSTMASTER

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US

:master: :master:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
PS4 controller is absolutely terrible. L2 and R2 are not even close to convex enough and the analogue sticks have too big of a dead zone and are too far away from the triggers.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fuckin thing sucks

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

The Dennis System posted:

PS4 controller is absolutely terrible. L2 and R2 are not even close to convex enough and the analogue sticks have too big of a dead zone and are too far away from the triggers.

the big dead zones aren't a hardware thing. i don't understand why game companies think that moving the analog stick a quarter of the distance it can possibly be moved before anything is registered is a good idea, but they loving love it.

what do the distance between the analog sticks and the triggers have to do with anything? do you not have thumbs??

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Does anyone remember either a nintendo or super nintendo controller that had a "slow" button you could press that was supposed to slow the game but what it actually did was just press the pause button every half second and then unpause immediately? Like, on games where the pause button would just freeze the screen like castlevania, it would look like everything was just moving in frame by frame but any buttons you pressed while it was "paused" wouldn't register and in other games with an actual "pause" screen, it would be a hosed up mess?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Serrath posted:

Does anyone remember either a nintendo or super nintendo controller that had a "slow" button you could press that was supposed to slow the game but what it actually did was just press the pause button every half second and then unpause immediately? Like, on games where the pause button would just freeze the screen like castlevania, it would look like everything was just moving in frame by frame but any buttons you pressed while it was "paused" wouldn't register and in other games with an actual "pause" screen, it would be a hosed up mess?

A Genesis controller had this.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it only works properly in games where pausing is instantaneous and results in a really ghetto slo-mo effect. it's the dumbest loving poo poo

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Serrath posted:

NES had several controllers that did this.
This is probably the best known one:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

any one else have one of these:

ultrasonic mouse

http://www.amazon.com/Techmedia-Master-Wireless-Ultrasonic-Joystick-Pc/dp/B00LBLWS0C

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

my xbox controller for pc broke what's a good cheap controller i can get to replace it? posting about modern controllers itt

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

There is no such thing, just buy the xbone one and call it a day.

Edit: before i used a 360 controller I used a Logitech one and it was decent.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the 360 dpad was bad and the articulation of the two sticks could be improved but the positioningof everything ruled. the triggers could also be improved.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

krampster2 posted:

my xbox controller for pc broke what's a good cheap controller i can get to replace it? posting about modern controllers itt

yeah, an xbone controller would be the easiest. i like the ds4 more, but you have to mess with finicky open source drivers if you want to use it on pc. off-brand controllers suck and dropping 50 bucks on a good controller will probably save you money in the long run.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Thingyman posted:

yeah, an xbone controller would be the easiest. i like the ds4 more, but you have to mess with finicky open source drivers if you want to use it on pc. off-brand controllers suck and dropping 50 bucks on a good controller will probably save you money in the long run.

Can you use old 360 controllers with PC? I probably have on lying around somewhere

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
I had this. Pressing directions on a pad too hard? Use a lovely touchpad with no feedback instead!

krampster2 posted:

Can you use old 360 controllers with PC? I probably have on lying around somewhere
Wired ones will work with basically no setup. Wireless, you'll need this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1PU0K69381

That one's a cheap Chinese knockoff, but I don't think you can buy real ones on their own and it probably works???

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

You can either put it on your table, or hold it in the air! Woaaaaah

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this controller beat many a game for me. turbo buttons are almost a necessity on the NES:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
For reals though, playstation controllers are super lovely, esp the dual shocks. Hate that layout, no idea why it caught on.
I'd say gamecube were best ever, different shaped face buttons was a great idea. But they only had three shoulder buttons which was a dumb weird decision. So maybe 360?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 27, 2015

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

NihilismNow posted:

NES had several controllers that did this.
This is probably the best known one:

Rutibex posted:

this controller beat many a game for me. turbo buttons are almost a necessity on the NES:

Had the low rent version. Like the max it didn't bother with the lovely slo-mo, but it still had the d-pad which I liked.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Long live the new flesh!

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i use a dual shock 4 to play emulators and stuff on my computer and its pretty good

recommended, hth op

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

You have never actually used a X-Box controller have you?

Once and the one I played must have had the big controllers. I just remember it as the most ergonomically unpleasant controller since Colecovision and passed it off as" lol Microsoft ".

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I'm a big fan of Playstation controllers. I must have small hands. I even use one with a Gameclip to fly my drone. Are the 360 and xbone controllers any better than the original Xbox? It was like holding a textbook with buttons on it.

the original xbox controller was designed for adult western men. it was not for children or tiny asian hands. have you tried it since you grew up?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

BigBoss posted:

the original xbox controller was designed for adult western men. it was not for children or tiny asian hands. have you tried it since you grew up?

I would have been 27-ish at the time.

e. I'm not the only one. It's on quite a few worst 1st party controller lists like this one and others http://www.mobygames.com/featured_article/feature,30/section,201/

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 27, 2015

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

this is the thing we're talking about here

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Yknow what's great on a controller?

TRACKPADS

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
oh so that's what the gently caress that's supposed to be

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Amiga supremacy:

So many broken microswitches...

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

dougdrums posted:

this is the thing we're talking about here

Yeah. I never had any problems holding it. Then again maybe I have large hands due to my enormous penis?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
me neither, but it is large

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

xbox one pad is weird because they fixed the lovely dpad from 360, but otherwise i find the controller like a slightly less ergonomic 360 controller.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

dougdrums posted:

me neither, but it is large

Yes, it is. But a large segment of the video game playing marketplace is men in N. America and Europe age 16 and above. It makes sense to cater to them since they spend a shitload of money on video games. Groups like children and the Japanese have become less important to the overall marketplace as it has matured. Sony and Nintendo do a good job making tiny little controllers for those groups, but Microsoft chose to make controllers based on who they though would be the most likely to purchase their system.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
people with big dicks like ours, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dougdrums posted:

people with big dicks, right?
micro soft

• Locked thread