Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
With the new gay laws I hope Apple does something with the logo. Imagine this picture:

Instead of boring white every apple is a glorious shining rainbow, like the old logo. This really should been the first thing they announced after Johnny came out of the closet :gay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Selklubber posted:

Johnny came out of the closet :gay:

Wait, who?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
His wife will be devastated.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Selklubber posted:

With the new gay laws I hope Apple does something with the logo. Imagine this picture:

Instead of boring white every apple is a glorious shining rainbow, like the old logo. This really should been the first thing they announced after Johnny came out of the closet :gay:

That picture is cool but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Froist posted:

Wait, who?

Guessing he's thinking of Tim Cook but misapplied it to Ive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Guessing he's thinking of Tim Cook but misapplied it to Ive.

That's who I thought he might have meant.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Sad Panda posted:

I've got an rMBP 2013 and the light on my MagSafe adapter is a bit temperamental. Right now for example, it is plugged in, CoconutBattery shows that the charge is going up but the light is off instead of the orange it should be when charging. I've tried the SMC reset, although there was no flash on the MagSafe adapter when I did it to show it was done. Is this probably just the case of needing a replacement cable? I've got plenty of time left on my AppleCare, but I was just wondering what people's experiences are with these kind of things.

edit : Called up Apple, had a 10 minute call and they're sending me a new power adapter to see if that's the problem. So nice that I don't have to go to the Apple Store to get it tested out.

This happened to me and after about three days of that behavior the adapter started shooting sparks loving everywhere and smoking at the point it connected to the laptop so yeah get that poo poo replaced ASAP.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
RE: the edu discount, my girlfriend bought her Air in store and she still remembered her student number even though she graduated years ago, she joked about that to the sales rep and they said "yeah sure if you can provide a student number you can have the discount"

so yeah if you get the right person they're pretty lenient about it.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
My dad bought his new iMac from the online Apple store and just said "It's a gift for my son in college" without providing any other sort of information and they gave him the edu discount, lol.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got my mbp using an apple for education store page that my college provided the link to. At no point whatsoever did I have to prove I was still in education.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'm 46 years old but when I walked into the apple store I shouted at the top of my lungs I'M IN COLLEGE NOW MOTHERFUCKERS while I pumped my fist. Got a good deal on an iMac.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm 65 years old, I walked into an Apple Store with a gun, got a *really* good deal on an iMac.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

I'm 65 years old, I walked into an Apple Store with a gun, got a *really* good deal on an iMac.

Find out how this OAP got a free iMac with this one really weird trick.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

When I bought my rmbp at an Apple Store I got asked to see my college id for the discount.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Huh. I've purchased two macs in the last 4 years on the Apple online store using the edu discount for my undergrad school, from which I'd already graduated.

Unless I'm grossly misremembering how this works, you just go to http://store.apple.com/us_edu_11333/findyourschool and then literally enter any accredited school in the country (probably best to use a school you have some relationship to) and that's it. I don't recall having been asked for any confirmation or other proof on the website. I think there's even a "my school isn't in this list" option that also works.

Purchases I've made in-store have required a .edu email account or campus ID tho.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Huh. I've purchased two macs in the last 4 years on the Apple online store using the edu discount for my undergrad school, from which I'd already graduated.

Unless I'm grossly misremembering how this works, you just go to http://store.apple.com/us_edu_11333/findyourschool and then literally enter any accredited school in the country (probably best to use a school you have some relationship to) and that's it. I don't recall having been asked for any confirmation or other proof on the website. I think there's even a "my school isn't in this list" option that also works.

Purchases I've made in-store have required a .edu email account or campus ID tho.

When I bought my iPad you had to associate a university email with your account somehow. I don't really remember how it went.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Unless it's BTO (and even then too sometimes depending upon the desired configuration), why even go the Educational discount route if a refurb is available in the desired configuration? The refurb is almost always if not always going to be cheaper than the system with the educational discount.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

SourKraut posted:

Unless it's BTO (and even then too sometimes depending upon the desired configuration), why even go the Educational discount route if a refurb is available in the desired configuration? The refurb is almost always if not always going to be cheaper than the system with the educational discount.
Refurbs aren't always immediately available and some people are impatient.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I use my corporate discount which is same as edu discount. It doesn't ask me to prove anything on the site. I just say "oh yeah I definitely work here" and the price falls.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My friend has a Mac Mini that is slower than slow and I think I now know why

quote:

Mid 2010. 2.4 ghz core 2 duo. 2 gb memory. OS X 10.9.5

Is it even worth it to throw an ssd and 8GB at it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It depends what they want to use it for. A computer from 2010 is normally "pitch it into the trash" old, but it might be OK for sitting underneath the TV.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

It depends what they want to use it for. A computer from 2010 is normally "pitch it into the trash" old, but it might be OK for sitting underneath the TV.

2GB is crippling slow but a 2.4GHz C2D can also be painful. The computer might have came out in 2010 but the Merom Core 2 Duo came out in 2006 and the Penryn came out in 2008. Woof.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's the primary machine for her high school aged daughter. It's also hooked up to a projector for YouTube/Netflix.

Core2Duo is pretty old at this point, but $200 could significantly speed it up.

E: wasn't that Era super picky about ram, too? I just got my first Mac in January and I only have a vague knowledge of them in general

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 29, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Crank it up to 8 GB and replace the spinster drive with an SSD and it should run decently. It has a not-horrible GPU and would make a decent low-end HTPC.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Phone posted:

It's the primary machine for her high school aged daughter. It's also hooked up to a projector for YouTube/Netflix.

Core2Duo is pretty old at this point, but $200 could significantly speed it up.

E: wasn't that Era super picky about ram, too? I just got my first Mac in January and I only have a vague knowledge of them in general
It's ok enough with SSD and RAM, I still have a 2009 I use for office stuff and VMware, running Yosemite even. Netflix might concern me (cause Silverlight) but I don’t have it so no clue how it does on there.

Not sure about picky RAM, but a general thing with older machines is pricing stops going down after a while. Used RAM seems to be cheap enough on eBay though.

Alternatively there’s super low end cheap PCs that are comparable or faster if you don’t mind Windows (or I guess Chrome OS in some cases).

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Phone posted:

My friend has a Mac Mini that is slower than slow and I think I now know why

Is it even worth it to throw an ssd and 8GB at it?

FWIW:

I've been rebuilding this specific model (4,1) for a couple of months regularly and they are pretty decent with an SSD and 16GB of RAM. The manual says 8GB max but 2x8GB SO-DIMMs work without any issues as long as you use the proper voltage and speed. Keep in mind, the comp has a SATAII connection type, so your read/write speeds will be halved what modern SSDs offer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was thinking of picking up a bigger/newer SSD for my machine (Intel 730 480GB) and buying a Crucial kit and gifting my current Intel 520 240GB SSD.

Looks doable. I guess I'll need to toss Yosemite on a USB stick and reinstall OSX that way.

E: they have 4GB free on the 320GB platter drive. :catstare:

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Let's say I have a power user on a 13" MBP who has filled up the then-top-of-the-line 768GB SSD and needs more space. It's time for a new machine anyways, but if I get him the 1TB 13" MBP that only buys him a year of growth before he hits the limit again.

Let's also say that I cannot get him to consider changing his workflow until there's no other option.

There's no way to cram more than 1TB into the MBPs line, right?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Jesus Christ just tell him to get a 3TB external to store all his anime linux isos on.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep, a Mac laptop is no way to store multiple terabytes of data. What you're looking for is called a server or a NAS.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
If the data has to be local, get a Thunderbolt-based DAS. They're not exactly cheap, but neither is buying rMBPs with 1TB SSDs.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Nope, it's all pictures. He's pretty much the ultimate road warrior. And yes, I have good endpoint backups.

Money's not really an object, but it sounds like he's going to have to re-think how he does things at some point in the next year.

Thanks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Who the gently caress needs nearly 800gb of photos stored locally Jesus Christ.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Who the gently caress needs nearly 800gb of photos stored locally Jesus Christ.
A person with a mental disorder basically.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Phone posted:

I was thinking of picking up a bigger/newer SSD for my machine (Intel 730 480GB) and buying a Crucial kit and gifting my current Intel 520 240GB SSD.

Looks doable. I guess I'll need to toss Yosemite on a USB stick and reinstall OSX that way.

E: they have 4GB free on the 320GB platter drive. :catstare:
Well that would ruin performance beyond just the RAM and CPU :v:

KS posted:

Nope, it's all pictures. He's pretty much the ultimate road warrior. And yes, I have good endpoint backups.

Money's not really an object, but it sounds like he's going to have to re-think how he does things at some point in the next year.

Thanks.
Mobile spinny drives go up to 2TB these days. Get a USB one with short cable and glue it to the lid (or sticky back Velcro or whatever). Yeah I got nothing beyond that if he wants really local storage. Or a bunch of TB SSD sticks in some TB RAID? I dunno, they all involve sticking a box onto the MBP :v:

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Would it be worth buying a new 13" Retina Macbook Pro next month, or should I wait for the next refresh? I'm worried the refresh next year will have a stronger GPU and the new click pad that we see on the new Macbook and don't want to end up regretting purchasing it early. Right now I'm using a 2012 Macbook Air and the call of the retina display is hard to pass up.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

sailormoon posted:

Would it be worth buying a new 13" Retina Macbook Pro next month, or should I wait for the next refresh? I'm worried the refresh next year will have a stronger GPU and the new click pad that we see on the new Macbook and don't want to end up regretting purchasing it early. Right now I'm using a 2012 Macbook Air and the call of the retina display is hard to pass up.

The rMBP just got refreshed a couple of months ago with a spec bump and the new trackpad. The next generation will always be better, but there's no reason not to buy now if you want one.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

sailormoon posted:

A stronger GPU is pretty much a given, but both the 13s and 15s have the Force Touch trackpad now. The refreshed 13" came out at the same time as the new MacBook.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

KS posted:

Yes. That workflow is barely tenable with a desktop.

"Get all this poo poo off my goddamn computer" is the commercial photo industry standard for good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Molten Llama posted:

Yes. That workflow is barely tenable with a desktop.

"Get all this poo poo off my goddamn computer" is the commercial photo industry standard for good reason.

Seriously. What happens to his work if his computer bag gets stolen?

I mean, I he must have offsite backups or storage archives of some kind, but still.