Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pretty sure the amended form for Texas is freely available now (and has been since day 1, remember seeing a link for it even but can't find it atm) which is why the rhetoric has moved on to conscientious objection which is EVERY AMERICAN'S RIGHT unless you're trying to express your belief in not murdering people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If anyone wants to feel better about the Texas AG being a dickbag on marriage equality:

quote:

The criminal investigation against Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has taken a more serious turn, with special prosecutors now planning to present a first-degree felony securities fraud case against him to a Collin County grand jury, News 8 has learned.

Special prosecutor Kent Schaffer told News 8 Wednesday afternoon that the Texas Rangers uncovered new evidence during the investigation that led to the securities fraud allegations against the sitting attorney general.

"The Rangers went out to investigate one thing, and they came back with information on something else," Schaffer told News 8. "It's turned into something different than when they started."

Schaffer, a Houston criminal defense attorney, said the securities fraud allegations involve amounts well in excess of $100,000. He declined to comment specifics of the fraud allegations.

A first-degree felony conviction is punishable by up to life in prison.

:neckbeard:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

If anyone wants to feel better about the Texas AG being a dickbag on marriage equality:

Mmmmm, I wonder what Jesus woulf have to say about this little conundrum...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Mmmmm, I wonder what Jesus woulf have to say about this little conundrum...

Pretty sure he was all for fraudulent banking practices and accumulation of wealth

Didn't he storm into that temple and cordially greet everybody, shake their hands, and tell them that they are the light and the way forward?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

U.S. Episcopal Church Approves Religious Same-Sex Marriages posted:

An assembly of U.S. church leaders voted overwhelmingly adopt gender-neutral language for their marriage canon. Clergy members, however, will still be allowed to recuse themselves from performing same-sex ceremonies.
Landslide.

e: Thrilling amended text of the canon.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 2, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm not very religious now but my parents baptized me into Episcopalian and I'm always happy that they're the first to be progressive as hell. :unsmith:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Three Olives posted:

He could share a cell with Perry

In a perfect world I know

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

Makes me proud to have grown up Episcopalian :)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

weekly font posted:

I'm not very religious now but my parents baptized me into Episcopalian and I'm always happy that they're the first to be progressive as hell. :unsmith:

Do you mean amongst the Christians?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Stop what you are doing and watch this beautiful beautiful breakdown (There are tears)

Becky Wegener

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Stop what you are doing and watch this beautiful beautiful breakdown (There are tears)

Becky Wegener
wow, it's like free republic: the person

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Becky Wegener

Would :colbert:

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

oh becky

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

those islamic extremelists at it again

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Morter posted:

Do you mean amongst the Christians?

Of course.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is the beginning of the Christian Holocaust

:godwin:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Becky Wegener

Facebook is amazing. I can smell the gin fumes from her breath through that video.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oh man this one is fantastic. Learn history from a man whose knowledge on history is entirely invented in his head.

I lost my poo poo at "Prison!"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This owns.

"HITLER UNDERSTOOD...."

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Dude appears to have a kid in the back seat. :smith:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Theists are clawing at the sky hoping it falls down on them so they can blame it on someone else. This is amazing. :magical:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Seems like the best support for the whole "ATTACK ON CHRISTIANITY!!!1!!" thing would be the fact that a shitload of black churches are being burned down literally as we speak. Or is that a non-issue because it's very probable that white christians are doing it/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Seems like the best support for the whole "ATTACK ON CHRISTIANITY!!!1!!" thing would be the fact that a shitload of black churches are being burned down literally as we speak. Or is that a non-issue because it's very probable that white christians are doing it/

Nah, that was actually used as the initial starting point for that attack until information came out and made it clear it was racially focused and then MYSTERIOUSLY they tried to pretend it was something else.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah mysteriously actual Christian churches being burned down at an alarming rate is a non-issue and not newsworthy, while GAY MARRIAGE!!! is going to end religion forever because reasons.

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

I saw some clerk had said they could refuse to issue licenses in their office because other offices in the state were willing, and they sent gay marriage applicants out of county. But doesn't the county clerk also do the death certificates? I wonder if one of them would refuse to put a gay surviving spouse on one of those. I assume these jerks will be sued into oblivion before that though.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Pot Pie posted:

I saw some clerk had said they could refuse to issue licenses in their office because other offices in the state were willing, and they sent gay marriage applicants out of county. But doesn't the county clerk also do the death certificates? I wonder if one of them would refuse to put a gay surviving spouse on one of those. I assume these jerks will be sued into oblivion before that though.
This is some bullshit that just lets people perpetuate their bigoted beliefs. If you work for the state, do your job or lose it. Period.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Becky Wegener
Why did you link an extended version of that Leave Britney Alone video?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

As a break from the entertaining histrionics of adults throwing tantrums, here's a glimpse of the response to come:

H.R. 2802 - First Amendment Defense Act.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2802/text

Its language can be modified for individual states to adopt similar measures, and its protections are very broad. Do you claim to have a moral conviction that marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or that sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage? You're covered.

When god slams the front door in your hateful face, you try and sneak in through every window in the backyard.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Do It Once Right posted:

As a break from the entertaining histrionics of adults throwing tantrums, here's a glimpse of the response to come:

H.R. 2802 - First Amendment Defense Act.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2802/text

Its language can be modified for individual states to adopt similar measures, and its protections are very broad. Do you claim to have a moral conviction that marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or that sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage? You're covered.

When god slams the front door in your hateful face, you try and sneak in through every window in the backyard.
Which says

quote:

To prevent discriminatory treatment of any person on the basis of views held with respect to marriage.

I love how clear it is that the left has the moral high ground by how much they try to phrase their poo poo in progressive language, and how much they try to make it sound as they are only trying to protect progressive values.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I first saw it on SadlyNo but the fundamental truth of Republicans is that it's always projection. They cloak their agenda in the language of the Left because they think that's how smart people sound and they want to be taken seriously. That's what this whole persecution bit is about, that's what they'd be doing to us if the boot was on the other foot.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Peztopiary posted:

They cloak their agenda in the language of the Left because they think that's how smart people sound and they want to be taken seriously.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

Progressives dominate discourse.

I assume this is because the alternative simply is rather obviously amoral, but maybe this is wrong - during Nazi regime times, a different language dominated.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

Progressives dominate discourse.

A belief in freedom of expression is one deeply ingrained in America's various political and social subcultures. Everybody loves the First Amendment. It also recasts the anti-equality fight in terms of individual rights rather than individual rights vs. societal disapproval of homosexuality.

The good news is that it probably won't work because it's so transparently dishonest, look at what happened when Idaho tried to hide an anti-gay law behind a religious freedom veil. So legislation won't really go anywhere but it will become the de facto dog whistle line for Republican presidential candidates who can't get away with "homo marriage? yuk! god no like!!" any longer.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Your feelings are wrong: a mansplanation

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Do It Once Right posted:

I can see it now. Someone is going to screw up and it's going to become possible to create a tax haven non-profit that can't be investigated by the IRS and works like a unfettered retirement account.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

That's a lot of words to say "No really I don't hate you, I just hate an intricate part of who you are that you did not choose. Here are some bible passages to convince you I'm right!"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Billions of words and he never addressed the fact that I and many others don't think the Bible is divine. Without that, it's all meaningless.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 2, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Billions of words and he never addressed the fact that I and many others don't think the Bible is divine. Without that, it's all meaningless.

Its true God guided the hand of man to write the bible OH YAAY GOD IS JUST NOW GUIDING MY HAND

ITS A NEW BIBLE ADDITION, HOT FROM GOD

code:
I'm Cool With Gay People
oh wow, settled

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Spaceman Future! posted:

Its true God guided the hand of man to write the bible OH YAAY GOD IS JUST NOW GUIDING MY HAND

ITS A NEW BIBLE ADDITION, HOT FROM GOD

code:
I'm Cool With Gay People
oh wow, settled

No no no, to do it right you have to first write it in a distant language and then put it through multiple hotly debated translations, see look, i'll google translate

אני מגניב עם אנשי הומוסקסואלים
Είμαι δροσερό με τους gay
Im frigus festiuo populus
I'm cool with gay people

:eyepop:
Holy... it is true! :pray:
seriously i was surprised it got preserved so well, it must truly be a divine message

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Cingulate posted:

Which says

I love how clear it is that the left has the moral high ground by how much they try to phrase their poo poo in progressive language, and how much they try to make it sound as they are only trying to protect progressive values.
It should be noted that this is not merely "To prevent discriminatory treatment of any person on the basis of views held with respect to marriage." The bill only actually specified protections for people who believe 1 man + 1 woman. It explicitly does not protect people who believe gay marriage is ok from discriminatory acts.

quote:

(a) In General.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Federal Government shall not take any discriminatory action against a person, wholly or partially on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or that sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.
Interestingly, while the bill also seems like it could be construed to protect people who spread even secular (generic "moral conviction" is protected) and blatant hate speech against gay people, criminal charges of any sort are not specified as one of the exemptions. Unlike some previous state legislation attempts to protect explicit threats against teenaged gay people under the guise of religious freedom.

Isn't all the stuff listed in here already protected by the 1st amendment though? It's all about injunctions from the government.
We need a new image like that one with Hitler saying "you've got a lot of growing up to do", but with this instead.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kylra posted:

It should be Noted that this is not merely "To prevent discriminatory treatment of any person on the basis of views held with respect to marriage." The bill only actually specified protections for people who believe 1 man + 1 woman. It explicitly does not protect people who believe gay marriage is ok from discriminatory acts.

Interestingly, while the bill also seems like it could be construed to protect people who spread even secular (generic "moral conviction" is protected) and blatant hate speech against gay people, criminal charges of any sort are not specified as one of the exemptions. Unlike some previous state legislation attempts to protect explicit threats against teenaged gay people under the guise of religious freedom.

Isn't all the stuff listed in here already protected by the 1st amendment though? It's all about injunctions from the government.

We need a new image like that one with Hitler saying "you've got a lot of growing up to do", but with this instead.

Given the amount of insane "the government is going to start rounding us up into fema camps for not liking gay marriage" poo poo going around, I'm guessing the bill is an empty gesture that is meant entirely to make voters say "that congressman of mine, he's on my side, he tried to stand up to those liberals even if it didn't go through"

• Locked thread