Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Young Freud posted:

They used to call those people Rockefeller Republicans, because they were moderate- or liberal-leaning on social justice causes

Which is always funny to me since the eponymous Governor Rockefeller's most salient legacy is Drug War mass-incarceration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If they were being honest they would have brought signs emblazoned with that word which polite society and Political Correctness Gone Mad(R) has cruelly taken away from them.

Have some mental mouthwash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-5uyp44WA

gently caress that Southern rabble. I see your Gettysburg clip and raise you this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2qyqZvW_AY

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, I decided to read those books mentionned in the OP. I start with Griftopia.

Holy fuckig poo poo.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, I decided to read those books mentionned in the OP. I start with Griftopia.

Holy fuckig poo poo.

Welcome to last decade.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Equine Don posted:

Welcome to last decade.

As if it's any different this decade?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I mean, I'd seen Inside Job, I'd watched (and read) the Corproation, none of this is exactly new to me.

It's just somehow worse than I wanted to know.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Joementum posted:

The new Nationals mascot is a Vermonter! :whatup:

Fitting, as the Nats have a single A team in Cool Cal's home state: the Lake Monsters.

Coolidge was one of only four Presidents to take the Oath of Office outside the national capital. Can you name the others?

They're in the A's organization now.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

MonsieurChoc posted:

I mean, I'd seen Inside Job, I'd watched (and read) the Corproation, none of this is exactly new to me.

You're better off not knowing the truth, it's easier to live.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

MonsieurChoc posted:

When you get to The Divide I recommend a paperback rather than ebook copy. Mainly because there will be multiple times you get pissed off and hurl it across the room, and replacing tablets like that will get expensive.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
MSNBC saying there's an active shooter at the DC Naval Yard.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I just heard coming from break. That's very near where I work, some coworkers heard sirens on the way in.

No casualties yet, knock on wood.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

MSNBC saying there's an active shooter at the DC Naval Yard.

God dammit not again. It hasn't even been 2 years

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
If only all those naval yard workers had had guns, this wouldn't have happened.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

God dammit not again. It hasn't even been 2 years

"He hates these ships! Stay away from the ships!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alter Ego posted:

If only all those naval yard workers had had guns, this wouldn't have happened.
Give it an hour and someone will unironically be arguing this

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Huffpo, like Fox News, also really seems to like running articles that pretend to be above celebrity gossip about a woman/women doing something scandalous while gleefully linking all the pictures. At least TMZ acknowledges what it is.

Fox News "kids these days!" stories that link to videos of Cancun spring break and the like will never not be funny.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Joementum posted:

It's a callback to the 2013 shutdown march!

Lack of tats means I'm going to go with joined Marines, washed out at boot, still calls self "veteran."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Fox News "kids these days!" stories that link to videos of Cancun spring break and the like will never not be funny.

The thing that truly baffles me about those "ugh, kids these days" things that keep cropping up is that people act like back in their day nobody ever got drunk and acted like a dumbass. Getting drunk and acting like a dumbass is a basic human urge and that's going to keep happening as long as humans, booze, and acting like a dumbass all exist. We're human. We do poo poo like that. We always have. We always will.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I work a mile from the Navy Yard. The Metro PD texts have gone from " "M Street SE is closed between South Capitol and 8th Street SE due to police activity, according to DDOT" to literally "Please avoid the area. Go indoors and shelter in place." Not again :gonk:

Just about everyone at my office has a friend that works at Navy Yard... a lot of people nervous this morning

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Job report out, unemployment down to 5.3%, but only added 221k jobs, labor force participation was down, hourly compensation was down

So not terrible, but not really good either. Really questioning the Feds assertion that they needed to let off the injection because the economy was about to take off

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SgtScruffy posted:

I work a mile from the Navy Yard. The Metro PD texts have gone from " "M Street SE is closed between South Capitol and 8th Street SE due to police activity, according to DDOT" to literally "Please avoid the area. Go indoors and shelter in place." Not again :gonk:

Just about everyone at my office has a friend that works at Navy Yard... a lot of people nervous this morning

I'm sure the shooter is just a misunderstood lone nut who was merely afraid Barack Obama would take all his guns. No cause for alarm.

(It's really hard to even make these arguments in jest, because I know some gently caress in the media will unironically make them after this is resolved.)

E: Thank God. Wonder what happened?

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 2, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Fried Chicken posted:

Job report out, unemployment down to 5.3%, but only added 221k jobs, labor force participation was down, hourly compensation was down

So not terrible, but not really good either. Really questioning the Feds assertion that they needed to let off the injection because the economy was about to take off

The injection is only benefitting the 1%, it's trickle-down. We need big infrastructure projects and other job creation by the gubmint, which isn't going to happen because the GOP are lunatics.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Obdicut posted:

The injection is only benefitting the 1%, it's trickle-down. We need big infrastructure projects and other job creation by the gubmint, which isn't going to happen because the GOP are lunatics.

If the money isn't trickling down you then there isn't enough flowing. Give them more money I'm sure they'll let it trickle eventually.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh, thank the Christ, it looks like the shooter was a false alarm... Just everyone's nerves playing high.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Obdicut posted:

I agree that fiscal policy would be a better solution but monetary policy is better than nothing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Somebody is doing the raping, Don, I mean, you know -- I mean, somebody's doing it. You think it's women being raped, well who is doing the raping? Who is doing the raping? I mean how can you say such a thing.

I summon the soul of Richard Nixon, Joementum, to tell us if there is a more objectively disastrous presidential campaign rollout than Donald Trump.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Somebody is doing the raping, Don, I mean, you know -- I mean, somebody's doing it. You think it's women being raped, well who is doing the raping? Who is doing the raping? I mean how can you say such a thing.

I summon the soul of Richard Nixon, Joementum, to tell us if there is a more objectively disastrous presidential campaign rollout than Donald Trump.

:stare: If this man gets elected, I won't leave, but I will probably take up smoking.

I need a palate cleanser.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Buffer posted:

Lack of tats means I'm going to go with joined Marines, washed out at boot, still calls self "veteran."

USMC (Aspired)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Once a Marine always a Marine :patriot:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

resurgam40 posted:

:stare: If this man gets elected, I won't leave, but I will probably take up smoking.

Donald Trump will not be elected President of the United States. You can :toxx: me on this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

When you get to The Divide I recommend a paperback rather than ebook copy. Mainly because there will be multiple times you get pissed off and hurl it across the room, and replacing tablets like that will get expensive.

At this point I can't not read that book. I have to know.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Munkeymon posted:

Are HROD22 and HDR17 both Hillary in those emails and if so why is she using two addresses? Is she using one/device or something because that'd be kinda ironic.

Trying to decide if her login being just her maiden name means anything or if she left off the C since it is in the domain.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if her staff calls her "H" in person. I mean in the most casual of circumstances when they aren't calling her Madam Secretary.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If the money isn't trickling down you then there isn't enough flowing. Give them more money I'm sure they'll let it trickle eventually.

What happens if a rich person trickles down into a river due to bridge collapse?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

DemeaninDemon posted:

What happens if a rich person trickles down into a river due to bridge collapse?

Private jets don't travel on bridges, silly.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

He surged to second place, Christie's has gone off with all the energy of a squeaker of a fart.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

uncurable mlady posted:

Private jets don't travel on bridges, silly.

Sure they do. Can't fly a jet straight into your office! Jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough to get through the steel.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Wha ... What in the bluest of blue fucks am I reading here? Trump is literally insane isn't he?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

"Someone's gotta be raping the women, Don! Is it me? Am I the rapist? Are you the rapist? Did I rape you, Don? Are you gonna get raped by me? Am I Mexican enough for you, Don?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

Wha ... What in the bluest of blue fucks am I reading here? Trump is literally insane isn't he?

He's not insane. He wants attention, and ranting about how filthy Mexicans are is the best way to get it.

• Locked thread