Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Bicyclops posted:

I don't think it's that dependent on visual cues. They could get a decent story out of them.

Each of their TV appearances conspicuously tears up the rules from the last one and changes around the Angels concept in big ways. Sure the audio play could do the same again and not rely on the visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
This time the Angels will be packing heat and sounding like 1930's cinema gangsters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

Mission to Magnus

Jesus Christ, Vengeance really was the exception that proves the rule - everything else Martin writes seems to incorporate some kind of really creepy sexual fetish.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Almost equally offensive in Magnus is how outrageously out-of-character Six is in the beginning. He's a coward and a wretch.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus Christ, Vengeance really was the exception that proves the rule - everything else Martin writes seems to incorporate some kind of really creepy sexual fetish.

I think his later stories makes it clear that Vengeance really wasn't the exception there.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DoctorWhat posted:

Almost equally offensive in Magnus is how outrageously out-of-character Six is in the beginning. He's a coward and a wretch.

I get that it's supposed to be the Doctor being cowed by his memories of the appalling Aznor, but agreed. It doesn't work.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, it's the only Colin Baker television story that someone could make a reasonable argument for being actually good. I think it's a really solid effort that's a bit rough around the edges.

"The Two Doctors" is entertaining.

Shockeye isn't quite as over the top as Soldeed, but he comes close.

"I am not interested in the beliefs of primitives... ONLY WHAT THEY TASTE LIKE!"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fil5000 posted:

I get that it's supposed to be the Doctor being cowed by his memories of the appalling Aznor, but agreed. It doesn't work.

That was the worst! Sure, the Doctor was probably bullied, but he's a grown-rear end man by that point, and in his least cow-able incarnation to date! It's character assassination, is what it is!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

"The Two Doctors" is entertaining.

Shockeye isn't quite as over the top as Soldeed, but he comes close.

"I am not interested in the beliefs of primitives... ONLY WHAT THEY TASTE LIKE!"

The last episode of the Two Doctors is great but the first two are just utter misery.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

cargohills posted:

The last episode of the Two Doctors is great but the first two are just utter misery.

Despite loving Troughton and Jamie I have never seen the last two episodes because of this.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 2, 2015

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

That one also features Jason killing them, shoving their bodies into sleeping bags and then whacking the sleeping bag against a tree trunk multiple times - it's a glorious mess of a movie.

http://youtu.be/mF629C5WRqU

Link to this scene. No blood, no boobs, really funny.

Part 7 had the original sleeping bag kill. If you want to see it, look for it, but be warned its pretty brutal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well poo poo, you know I always remembered that as happening in Mindwarp - I guess because I didn't want to have to think about the otherwise pretty drat good Vengeance having this creepy body-transformation fetish (that gets turned up to 11 in Creed :gonk:) in it. :smith:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Martin loves torturing the companions in that way (guess what happens to Flip in his "Antidote to Oblivion"?)

I wish someone else could get a shot at writing Sil, but I'm guessing Martin won't give the BF the rights to use him unless he's the one writing the story.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SIl is great, and I haven't heard Antidote to Oblivion yet. Hopefully it's not as bad as some of Martin's other fare.

Now if we can just get back Sabalom Glitz...

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I got around to downloading one of the Fifth Doctor audios. 'Theme from Fifth Doctor', synthy music scores, Tegan/Turlough bickering ... it's lovely. :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Audio chat: I just finished Red and I think my favorite part is how the AI actually wasn't the killer all along, since that seemed to be where it was heading with all of the "let me augment you sir" and the like. They really did emphasize his fear too.

Also whoever was praising McCoy and his rolling Rs weren't kidding.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

computer parts posted:

Audio chat: I just finished Red and I think my favorite part is how the AI actually wasn't the killer all along, since that seemed to be where it was heading with all of the "let me augment you sir" and the like. They really did emphasize his fear too.

Absolutely. A nice twist on what everyone was expecting. The voice actor for that part did an outstanding job as well.

quote:

Also whoever was praising McCoy and his rolling Rs weren't kidding.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred!

(nice post/avatar combo!)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

SIl is great, and I haven't heard Antidote to Oblivion yet. Hopefully it's not as bad as some of Martin's other fare.

God, you're an optimist, aren't you?

Best bit in Antidote (Sil addressing the two higher ups in a corporation.)

Sil: Mr. President. Woman.

There you go. Now you don't have to listen to it

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Since so many classic serials are available online in one way or another, pretty much the only reason I have the urge to buy them on DVD is for the audio commentaries. Does anybody have any standouts/recommendations? So far "anything with Peter Davison and/or Colin Baker" seems to be the running theme from what I've seen online elsewhere.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Since so many classic serials are available online in one way or another, pretty much the only reason I have the urge to buy them on DVD is for the audio commentaries. Does anybody have any standouts/recommendations? So far "anything with Peter Davison and/or Colin Baker" seems to be the running theme from what I've seen online elsewhere.

The TV Movie special edition commentary with McCoy and McGann is the gold standard of Who DVD audio commentaries, but there are loads of other great ones, as well. The only one that has both Davison and C-Baker is Arc of Infinity, and that commentary is pretty much the only reason to watch Arc of Infinity anyway. Honorable mention to The Five Doctors commentary with David Tennant and co. too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Any commentary involving Tom Baker is usually pretty great, though he does have a tendency to repeat stories/jokes across different DVDs. Sometimes he gets distracted too and just constantly asks who various people are, which has its own endearing charm.

1st through 3rd Doctor stories usually involve telling stories about Hartnell/Troughton/Pertwee which of course just makes sense, the Troughton stories are usually a lot of fun because the cast remembers him so fondly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

Honorable mention to The Five Doctors commentary with David Tennant and co. too.

By far this is my favourite commentary. Tennant, Phil Collinson and Helen Raynor get drunk while watching it, and it's hilarious.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Pretty much this. They both have the perfect mixture of fond mockery, genuine fondness, and interesting/informative stuff about what it was like to work on the show. (Timelash with Colin/Nicola/Paul Darrow is a great reason to watch that again.) Sylvester/Sophie is also about as great as you'd expect. The Curse of Fenric one with them plus Nicholas Parsons being slightly loopy is wonderful.

Plus, don't underestimate the quality of the other features. Whatever exists, you get. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE1Wq8w5qmE

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

The correct answer is "they're all worthwhile, except maybe The Leisure Hive", but here are some random, specific thoughts:

Pretty much any Davison commentary is good, other than Arc of Infinity the standouts for me are Earthshock, Terminus and Snakedance.

For Tom, there are three distinct phases of commentary, almost like his tenure itself: early, happy ones (usually the most focused, especially when Philip Hinchcliffe is also on the commentary track, as he is apparently the only person on the planet to whom Tom is deferential), the middle period where he's slightly embarrassed by his on-set behaviour, especially to Louise Jameson, and then he's not on any of them from Season 17 onwards (apart from Logopolis), possibly for Lalla-related reasons. My favourites are probably Robot and The Brain of Morbius.

Any commentary moderated by Toby Hadoke is usually well worth listening to, the Peladon box set is a good example.

The Twin Dilemma, The Two Doctors and TimeLash are probably Colin's best commentaries.

The Keeper of Traken has Anthony Ainley on the commentary, the only one he ever did. Then there's The Sea Devils, which has Andrew Cartmel moderating Barry Letts, Terrance Dicks and Michael Briant, for some reason. And any of the Hartnell DVDs with Verity Lambert on the commentary are recommended, as quite simply I could listen to Verity Lambert talk about anything all day long.

E:

quote:

Plus, don't underestimate the quality of the other features.

Seconding this. If anybody owns the Trial of a Timelord box set and hasn't watched Trials and Tribulations, then, well, watch Trials and Tribulations.

pinacotheca fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 3, 2015

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Trin Tragula posted:

Plus, don't underestimate the quality of the other features. Whatever exists, you get. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE1Wq8w5qmE

Perhaps it's just because he's already familiar as the Doctor, but Sly kills it in that audition and the other two are complete crap. I mean, I know that was the point, but still, the disparity is pretty remarkable.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'd like to believe those are just the clothes Syl turned up in.

"Costume? What costume?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Perhaps it's just because he's already familiar as the Doctor, but Sly kills it in that audition and the other two are complete crap. I mean, I know that was the point, but still, the disparity is pretty remarkable.

JNT and Sylv and the rest are pretty much spot-on about the problem. If there's one constant with the Doctor, it's animation. There hasn't really been a Doctor that's utterly laid back. Even Tom at his spaciest was very energetically spacey.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gaz-L posted:

JNT and Sylv and the rest are pretty much spot-on about the problem. If there's one constant with the Doctor, it's animation. There hasn't really been a Doctor that's utterly laid back. Even Tom at his spaciest was very energetically spacey.

Peter Davison (He Who May Be Kissed) was pretty laidback. You definitely get the impression he'd rather just have a nice quiet time playing cricket or looking at cool space stuff, rather than having to deal with adventuring and a TARDIS full of kids.

I'd definitely like a less bombastic Doctor soon, though. Perhaps a bit bookish and weird. Matt Smith seemed to be shaping up that way briefly, but then he started being written as a manic man-child. Which was ok, but could've been better.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Janet Fielding has become my favorite DVD commentator. She only came into TV working on the show, and only really got into Doctor Who post-series, so she's super excited to share everything she's learned and is just a blast to listen to.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Capaldi isn't super energetic, but he is like a terrier. Not a lot of movement in body, but the spirit is strong and frenetic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Peter Davison (He Who May Be Kissed) was pretty laidback. You definitely get the impression he'd rather just have a nice quiet time playing cricket or looking at cool space stuff, rather than having to deal with adventuring and a TARDIS full of kids.

Honestly, that's why he's always felt kinda... un-Doctor-y to me. A bit too chill.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

It is 1917 and the Doctor, Hex and Ace find themselves in a military hospital in northern France. But the terrifying, relentless brutality of the Great War that wages only a few miles away is the least of their concerns.

The travelers become metaphysical detectives when the Doctor receives orders to investigate a murder. A murder that has yet to be committed...

Who will be the victim? Who will be the murderer? What is the real purpose of the Hate Room? Can the Doctor solve the mystery before the simmering hate and anger at Charnage hospital erupts into a frenzy of violence?

Sylvester McCoy is the Doctor in No Man's Land.

X X X X X

Cast
Sylvester McCoy (The Doctor)
Sophie Aldred (Ace)
Philip Olivier (Hex)
Michael Cochrane (Lieutenant-Colonel Brook)
Rob Dixon (Sereant Wood)
Rupert Wickham(Captain Dudgeon)
Oliver Mellor (Private Taylor)
Ian Hayles (Lance-Corporal Burridge)
Michael Adams (Private Dixon)

Written By: Martin Day
Directed By: John Ainsworth

Trailer - http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/no-man-s-land-255

X X X X X

Even though its been nearly one hundred years since the 11th of November, 1918, the horrors of World War I remain a firm part of British culture. Once called “The Great War” in the hopes there would never be another, the conflict brings forth the thought of “trench warfare” – great lines dug into the ground, brimming to the teeth with machine guns and filled with young men praying that they never will be ordered to go “over the top.” For between the trenches of the Allies and the Central Powers lay no man's land – a stretch of ruined land riddled with barbed wire and land mines, where ruined buildings and artillery crates waited to snare the unwary. No man's land was a killing field for both sides until the rise of tanks late in the war, and even then, the soldiers ordered to make the attack risked finding themselves injured at the hands of the enemy, begging silently for the end of the conflict, the arrival of stretcher bearers (who would hope that the other side wouldn't take a shot at them), and a chance to rest behind the lines, either praying for a wound that took a long time to heal, perhaps sending them home...or, for a few, a quick recovery and a chance to go back into the fight.

No Man's Land is another historical serial from Big Finish, with a few hints of temporal metaphysics and mental conditioning. It uses the setting of World War I to great effect, especially through its use of sound, but the story tends to start and stop, racing forward before slowing down and then racing forward again, wasting some very good performances in the process.

The Doctor, Ace, and Hex wake up in a British hospital, Charnage, just outside Arras in northern France. It's 1917, and the hospital serves to help British soldiers recover their will to fight so they can go back to the front lines as quickly as possible. The commanding officer for the hospital, Lieutenant-Colonel Brook, utilizes some unorthodox methods, requiring the soldiers under his care to fill out abstract questionnaires as well as taking part in “morning hate” sessions where all things Boche are annihilated. Such methods offend the Doctor, and Hex simply wants to go back to the TARDIS and have nothing to do with the horrors of the Great War. But Lieutenant-Colonel Brook insists they stay, as he's received orders from headquarters regarding the arrival of three civilian advisers. They've been instructed to investigate the murder of one of the hospital's soldiers. A murder that hasn't happened yet...

Martin Day is an incredibly prolific writer who's contributed heavily to the BBC daytime soaps Doctors and Family Affairs and penned several unofficial guide books to shows such as The X-Files and The Avengers. With regards to Doctor Who, he's written novels for both the new series (Wooden Heart) and the classic series, with his best known work for Who perhaps being the Eighth Doctor Adventures novel The Sleep of Reason. Knowing Day's writing pedigree, No Man's Land would have made a very good book. Day gives listeners a script brimming with plot, hints, red herrings, misdirections, and most importantly a solid cast of secondary characters. The story seems to involve a bit of time travel trickery with mentions of the supernatural (including the Angels of Mons) and the technological (Brook's mysterious benefactors). But the plot focuses on the soldiers, who have either been physically injured or enduring what would eventually be called “shell shock.” As the Doctor tries to solve a crime that he knows nothing about, the script focuses on the various men. Some are eager to dive back into battle, some are a little wary about going on the firing line again, and one flat out admits he's a coward. No Man's Land is a rich script with an interesting story, but the story does suffer from some meandering. Day has penned plenty of television, but such scripts have to be a certain length and not one second over in order to accommodate the episode's runtime. No Man's Land is over two hours in length, and there definitely were some moments that could have been better edited to cut out excess dialogue or removed altogether, such as the scene where Ace and Hex come across a cloud of chlorine gas that they easily escape from. John Ainsworth (who also helmed Unregenerate!) shows a steady hand but allows the story to wander a bit. With a novel, it would be easier to overlook a few extra scenes or lines of dialogue, but I found my attention drifting a few times during this story, indicating a pass with the editor's scalpel was needed to tighten things up. This is most evident during the second and third episodes, where the story doesn't dip in quality but instead takes too long to make its points.

Normally, a Seventh Doctor story involving the military would involve the Doctor raving about the futility of war and the sanctity of life. No Man's Land definitely provides those moments from Sylvester McCoy, but his first priority is solving the impending murder. It's a nice insight into the Doctor's mind; life is paramount, and here's the chance to save a life, and one life is the most important thing in the entire universe. When the murder does happen, that's when the Doctor's inherit distrust of the military system comes into play. It's a slow build towards the angry outburst, coming as part of the third act cliffhanger, and when it happens, it feels “earned.” These are the kinds of moments where McCoy shines, both as the sly, inquisitive investigator and as the voice of righteous rage during his debates with Brook. In some ways, No Man's Land mimics the shift in tone that resonated in many of the episodes from the classic series, as the first episode hinges on the murder mystery but the fourth episode focuses on the effects of the hate room on the soldiers and the attempt by the Doctor and his companions to escape them. The journey is a bit bumpy (most of the drag comes in the second and third episodes) but happens smoothly and without any jarring shifts.

By this point in the audios, Hex has taken the role that Ace had during the final television season, becoming a student of both the Doctor and of Ace (who, for the time being, seems to have dropped the “Dorothy McShane” moniker. I wonder if it was because some fans were confused that Dorothy was supposed to be Ace). Ace, meanwhile, has become less of a student and more of a teaching assistant to the Doctor as well as an older sister to Hex. From a writing perspective, this does allow for both the Doctor and the more mature and capable Ace to discover things that normally only the Doctor would have discovered in earlier stories. No Man's Land sees Hex involved in the story a little more than Ace is, but both get their moments; Ace talking about using her feminine charms to draw information from a soldier, and Hex worrying about being smack dab in the Great War and why he can't help people without mucking up history. We get a few quiet scenes between the two as well where both bring up their families (including Hex's mother and Ace's brother!) as well as action scenes near the end of the story where both try to survive their own trip across no man's land. One thing did disappoint me, though – episode one ends with Hex being locked in the hate room and subjected to a full dose, but aside from frustration with Ace, the effects never come into play during the story. I wish we could have gotten a little taste of how the hate room affected non-soldiers via Hex's exposure to it.

The secondary cast are absolutely standouts. Michael Cochrane played in Black Orchid and Ghost Light, as well as playing the bombastic and glory-seeking Colonel Spindleton in the two-parter Trail of the White Worm/The Oseidon Adventure. Lieutenant-Colonel Brook is concerned with England's success in the war, and only by developing a soldier's killer instinct can England quickly bring an end to the conflict. There's none of the quest for glory that Spindleton had, only a deep patriotism gone horribly horribly wrong. I liked that, as the overall villain, Brook didn't have some grand, complex plan. He admits to the Doctor that everything he's done, he's done on the fly, making it up as he goes along and cherry picking the best results to pass on to his masters in the Forge (oh, great, they're back...sorry, after Project: Lazarus my enthusiasm for them has waned. Bring on Torchwood!). British character actor Rob Dixon plays Sergeant Wood, who gleefully tortures and needles Hex as a worthless traitor to England since he a civilian and not a soldier! Captain Dudgeon, the coward who survived the Battle of Mons, is played as conflicted and tortured by Rupert Wickham. Oliver Mellor plays the conflicted Private Taylor, who isn't reacting to well to the mental conditioning and plays a vital part in the story's climax along with Michael Adams' Private Dixon. All the secondary cast members nail the different soldiers – the officer, the coward, the bully, and the one who does their duty. It takes a little bit to separate the voices and characters, but by the end of the story, certain actions by certain characters might get a quiet “hell yeah” from the listener...

One of my favorite Monty Python skits is the little known “First World War Noises” from Matching Tie and Hankerchief. I mention this only because the World War Noises in No Man's Land is simply astounding. Not counting the sounds of conflict as rifles fires and bayonets clash, Simon Robinson does his best to add the little touches, background noises such as coughing, the clattering of typewriters, and rain hitting windows that enhance those moments. The sounds of the hate room, both the anger of the English soldiers and the screams and cries of the Boche that drive them to frenzy, will embed themselves in the listener's memory to endure long after this serial is over.

I'm a sucker for war movies and war stories (as I write this review, I'm indulging in my long-running Fourth of July tradition of watching the four-and-a-half hour Director's Cut of Gettysburg), and as such I did enjoy No Man's Land for looking at war from the point of the individual soldier, especially the Doctor's speech about how one soldier putting down his gun when the time is right can make all the difference. The story doesn't pull punches, but doesn't come off as high-handed or lecturing. For the casual listener, I would recommend this story with the warning that is does take it time getting to the point in several scenes. This story demands the listener's attention simply because it's very easy to lose focus. If one can keep their focus on the story, they'll be well rewarded.

Pros
+ A murder mystery...
+ ...mixed with the ethics of mental conditioning and warfare, without coming off as preachy
+ Interesting secondary characters
+ Amazing sound work

Cons
- Longer runtime with a wandering plot, especially in the second and third episodes
- No follow-up to Hex's time in the hate room
- The Forge...again...

Synopsis – A tale about the effects of warfare on soldiers, No Man's Land runs a bit longer than needed, but rewards the listener with a tense storyline and great secondary characters.

X X X X X

Next up - Ostend, 1913. War is coming. A war in which millions will die. And the guest in suite 139 of the Hotel Palace Thermae knows it. Which is odd, considering he has trotters, a snout and a lovely curly tail...

Colin Baker is the Doctor in...The Year of the Pig.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I've only got the first three serials, but the commentary has been fascinating for me, so far. Almost all of the special features have been great, and the audio commentaries have hilarious stories about stuff like "Well, we didn't have much a of a wig budget, so we made sure to hire hairy cave men." The Director of the Daleks cringes at stuff like boom shadows being in the shot or a gorilla glove being used for a Dalek, but he's also extremely proud of stuff like only hiring actual actors to operate the props (which everyone wanted to play inside, slowing stuff down constantly).

It also includes the alternate cut of An Unearthly Child's first episode, and a 60 minute documentary kind of thing that I haven't even gotten to yet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Peter Davison (He Who May Be Kissed) was pretty laidback. You definitely get the impression he'd rather just have a nice quiet time playing cricket or looking at cool space stuff, rather than having to deal with adventuring and a TARDIS full of kids

I disagree, Peter's enduring image in my head is the jacket whipping around and him breathlessly giving an encouraging speech.

The_Doctor posted:

Capaldi isn't super energetic, but he is like a terrier. Not a lot of movement in body, but the spirit is strong and frenetic.

I don't even mean necessarily that the Doctor dashes about, just that those other actors are delivering the lines very languidly. Capaldi would be angry on the 'smoke' line, Tom would be giggling, Matt or Pat would likely spin around until they were dizzy, or at least till the baddie thought they were.

EDIT: Also, late to the party, but I saw T5: Too Many Tyrmen8ors today. And yep, Matt's character is barely in it, but is super-important considering he plays Skynet itself, his accent is all over the place, though. I think he went Scottish for a line at one point. I appreciated that while they obviously used time-travel to render the TV show impossible, they threw in a couple of nods to it, it seemed. And Emilia Clarke was very much trying to channel Linda Hamilton in a few scenes, but that did kind of draw attention to the fact that she has a more normal starlet physique, compared to how ripped Hamilton got for T2. Which shouldn't matter, as they don't give her much in the way of hand-to-hand stuff compared to Hamilton, but then why try and evoke her? JK Simmons and Arnie are probably the best things in it. Well, and the T-1000

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 3, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Synopsis – A tale about the effects of warfare on soldiers, No Man's Land runs a bit longer than needed, but rewards the listener with a tense storyline and great secondary characters.

I really enjoyed this story right up to basically the final minute of the audio. That one single final minute managed to sour me on the entire thing which is just crazy (and unfair of me), they were doing so, so well telling a straight historical with a philisophical/moral message where the sci-fi/supernatural elements were simply red herrings... and then they just HAD to go throw in that final minute and put everything into a different context. It's a drat shame, because without it I would consider this story a lot better than I do, though it still has plenty of problems like you noted - the overlong running time, the dropped subplots for both Ace and Hex, the rather weak verbal confrontation between the Doctor and the antagonist etc.

Still, you've got Year of the Pig next, and I loving love that story.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just had a great moment with my 4-year-old. Was watching 10's regeneration, and she literally was taken aback when his face changed into Matt Smith. Like got off the couch, mouth wide open, gasped and ran around the room going "What, what, WHAT!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Still, you've got Year of the Pig next, and I loving love that story.

Oh, you mean My Dinner with the Doctor?. Definitely a weird one, but I did enjoy it...but definitely a weird one...

Spikeguy posted:

Just had a great moment with my 4-year-old. Was watching 10's regeneration, and she literally was taken aback when his face changed into Matt Smith. Like got off the couch, mouth wide open, gasped and ran around the room going "What, what, WHAT!"

:3: I hope she loves Smith, he seems like the perfect Doctor for children in terms of mannerisms!

My stepdaughter's reaction when Eleven snapped into Twelve was to turn to her Mom and I and say "did the Doctor just sneeze out his new self?!?"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

MikeJF posted:

The Silence'd probably work a lot better than the Angels for audio. Although the advantage of Angels is that The Doctor already knew about them in Blink, so it leads to less continuity problems.

I don't think it causes any continuity problems if the Doctor has encountered the Silence before. In the Impossible Astronaut he never has any direct interaction with them or indication of their involvement, and at the start of Day of the Moon he's already giving the companions a briefing on the Silence and their abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I think it may have been implied that the doctor has run across the silence dozens if not hundreds of times, considering how important both of them are for the development of the human race. Then he forgot.

• Locked thread