Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

corpuscollossus posted:

Is your doctor old? It was a widely held belief up until the late 90s that breast milk and formula were nutritionally equal and therefore the difference was unimportant, but the results of long-term studies (some posted here) have shown that breastfed children are significantly ahead of their formula-fed peers in a wide range of areas, including intelligence, immunity, motor skills and emotional stability.

idk in her 30s? If it helps we heard the same thing from the doctor at the hospital and the nurse who came to weigh our kid later on

although tbh they may have been saying that partly to avoid what happened with another mom in our prenatal group. she refused to feed her kid formula and didn't produce enough milk so at 3 months her kid weighed like 10lb. BREAST IS BEST lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
it depends on how early the switch is made, whether the pregnancy was carried to term and other stuff. there is a huge pressure to breast feed, and it sucks when something like the guilt of not breastfeeding leading to depression happens, which isn't all that uncommon. there is good reason for health professionals to advocate breast feeding, though, and milk pumps as a much preferred alternative to formulae for mothers with post-birth depression, as well. if you're on a maternity ward in a non-shithole, they'll have those milk pumps around as a clear and advocated alternative to using formulae, which should tell you something, since formulae is so much easier to use than the pumps.

and yeah, sometimes there isn't a choice & it is pointless to guilt someone who isn't able to produce for whatever reason, but setting formulae up as alternative due to convenience is bad. pumps can be an alternative due to convenience.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Clipperton posted:

i guess the breast babies can console themselves with their 0.01% less chance of having hayfever, when the huge brained formula babies take over and put them all in camps

hahahahaha

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Clipperton posted:

idk in her 30s? If it helps we heard the same thing from the doctor at the hospital and the nurse who came to weigh our kid later on

although tbh they may have been saying that partly to avoid what happened with another mom in our prenatal group. she refused to feed her kid formula and didn't produce enough milk so at 3 months her kid weighed like 10lb. BREAST IS BEST lol

"oh, we also gave birth to our son at Our Lady of Enfamil, our delivering doctor and the nurse? oh they were Dr. and Nurse Similac"

and lol at the idea of a hospital changing its entire policy based around ONE lovely Mom

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 3, 2015

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

ChairmanMeow posted:

breast milk is better, but many moms have to work

those moms sound poor and should obviously have their babies taken away for their own good

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clipperton posted:

"Your partner can help out with nighttime feedings and share that bonding experience with your baby." sorry all your kids will grow up to have strained and distant relationships with their dads

This doesnt even make sense since most moms who breast feed also pump milk for their spouses to use in bottles for feeding.

Like you are really dumb all around dude

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I have a feeling SWJs were raised exclusively on formula

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

a creepy colon posted:

This doesnt even make sense since most moms who breast feed also pump milk for their spouses to use in bottles for feeding.

Like you are really dumb all around dude

how is that suppose to work with you chugging all the breast milk!Man no matter how you try to hide it, it isn't safe anywhere.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChairmanMeow posted:

how is that suppose to work with you chugging all the breast milk!

i figure I get a sip, baby gets a sip. Seems fair. why should he be the only one to harness the awesome power of breast milk

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
These dudes know whats up with the B-milk

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/human-breast-milk-and-bodybuilding

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/11451583/Move-over-protein-shakes-why-bodybuilders-now-drink-breast-milk.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/body-builders-pounding-breast-milk/story?id=29020910

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Clipperton posted:

well among other things the formula has omega 3s and 6s and poo poo for neural development so apologies in advance for when my big brained kid owns your retard baby at school and then cures cancer

You know if your wife was a good mother she would be supplementing with omega 3s (we already get plenty of omega 6s in out standard crap american diet)

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

p sure no one here is saying not to go to formula if there are issues getting milk out of the titties it's no doubt an acceptable alternative. it doesn't always work out. we get it

just saying that mothers are being lazy by providing 2nd best when in their specific situations the very best is available

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Who cares anyway? Global warming, nuclear war, and/or President Jeb Bush will kill us all before the kid reaches puberty.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can Men produce loving breast milk?

Asking for a friend....

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
I'd deffo date a new mom or maybe pregnant lady depending on how she carries it just for a fresh as poo poo supply of quality BM

Adult breastfeeding loving always seemed kind of intimate but i also have some odd opinions on sex so who knows

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

spud posted:

Asking for a friend....

In situations of extreme anxiety, some men will lactate as a coping mechanism.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm willing to attempt to breastfeed a rich attractive professional athlete as mentioned in the articles. For his heath.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

corpuscollossus posted:

I have a feeling SWJs were raised exclusively on formula

my God, it all makes sense now :aaaaa:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Couldnt I just feed my babies vitamins and skip BM or formula altogether?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Couldnt I just feed my babies vitamins and skip BM or formula altogether?

cradle to grave soylent

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

cradle to grave soylent

This is how we make superbabies.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Still hoping she does hardcore before I die.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Clipperton posted:

i guess the breast babies can console themselves with their 0.01% less chance of having hayfever, when the huge brained formula babies take over and put them all in camps

Sure, if the formula-babies don't die from leukemia first.

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/20150607_Study_links_breast-feeding_to_reduced_risk_of_leukemia.html

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
I was a breast baby. It was kind of awkward to have Mom come in for lunch time at 2nd grade, but it helped me bond with her. Now I never let her out of my sight.

By "her" I mean ber clothes, which I wear to become her and have conversations with her now. Mother wants me to get off the Internet now.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

a creepy colon posted:

Ever tried breast milk? It's great. It tastes pretty good, like regular whole milk but a little sweeter. The morning breast milk is the best, it's thickest and has the viscosity of cream. Good for coffee imho, and your immune system! Body builders also drink the stuff in droves for the super powers it bestows. so why not be like a super body builder goons and get on CL (craig's list) for some BM (breast milk).

Post all your breast milk acquiring/drinking tips here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjtkMCLRf-M

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

spud posted:

Asking for a friend....

its called cum

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Formula babies always look all stretched out and gangly, it's sad :(

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Clipperton posted:

ha, we used those bottles for our kid's breast milk

then we switched to formula cos it's better & healthier

you are a retard

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/3/e827.full#content-block

Clipperton posted:

this person is also a retard

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 3, 2015

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
I worked with the most bourgeoise doctors and midwives in the richest suburbs of Chicago and they all had a ten inch hard on for breastfeeding. If you want to know what's good for you listen to the doctors of the rich hth.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

This really isn't the kind of content I was expecting when I clicked on this thread

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

I worked with the most bourgeoise doctors and midwives in the richest suburbs of Chicago and they all had a ten inch hard on for breastfeeding. If you want to know what's good for you listen to the doctors of the rich hth.

some ppl (usually rich ppl with too much time on their hands) get really weird about it, like out of all proportion to any proper medical evidence. to the extent of shaming that one mom i talked about into a depression, and that other mom starving her baby

in my experience they are the same kind of ppl who refuse to eat gmos, and use the word 'toxins' like ppl in the middle ages used the word 'demons'

Nuclearmonkee posted:

you are a retard

thanks satanic jewish man

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 3, 2015

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clipperton posted:

thanks satanic jewish man

How'd you even find this forum... You don't seem like you know how to post is why I'm asking

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Clipperton posted:

ha, we used those bottles for our kid's breast milk

then we switched to formula cos it's better & healthier

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S014067369591742X

Lancet posted:

Abstract

Summary

Atopic diseases constitute a common health problem. For infants at hereditary risk, prophylaxis of atopy has been sought in elimination diets and other preventive measures. We followed up healthy infants during their first year, and then at ages 1, 3, 5, 10, and 17 years to determine the effect on atopic disease of breastfeeding. Of the initial 236 infants, 150 completed the follow-up, which included history taking, physical examination, and laboratory tests for allergy. The subjects were divided into three groups: prolonged (>6 months), intermediate (1-6 months), and short or no (<1 month) breastfeeding.

The prevalence of manifest atopy throughout follow-up was highest in the group who had little or no breastfeeding (p<0·05, analysis of variance and covariance with repeated measures [ANOVA]). Prevalence of eczema at ages 1 and 3 years was lowest (p=0·03, ANOVA) in the prolonged breastfeeding group, prevalence of food allery was highest in the little or no groups (p=0·02, ANOVA) at 1-3 years, and respiratory allergy was also most prevalent in the latter group (p=0·01, ANOVA) having risen to 65% at 17 years of age. Prevalences in the prolonged, intermediate, and little or no groups at age 17 were 42 (95% Cl 31-52)%, 36 (28-44)%, and 65 (56-74)% (p=0·02, trend test) for atopy, respectively, and 8 (6-10)%, 23 (21-25)%, and 54 (52-56)% (p=0·0001, trend test) for substantial atopy.

We conclude that breastfeeding is prophylactic against atopic disease—including atopic eczema, food allergy, and respiratory allergy—throughout childhood and adolescence.

You've increased your kid's risk of developing allergies. They will be an idiot loser that dies to a peanut.

See also
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=breat+milk+food+allergy&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C36

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
that's pretty kinky OP

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I too believe that guy is being serious. Rest assured, I am searching for the appropriate Lancet articles to refute his claims as we speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

you should only breastfeed your baby if you want him to become a total musclebound freak

• Locked thread