Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I hope this doesn't end up contributing to a precedent where obviously neutral/non-political speech becomes advocacy/political speech because some fuckface breathes and bleeds (but mainly shits) politics and therefore a shirt with a picture of the earth on it becomes the subject of an RFRA suit because some son of a bitch really has it in for climate science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just jumping in this thread to offer my (greatly belated) jubilation that mandatory SSM is now the law of the land. :black101:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

You made this one up though.

The idea is that the Old Testament covenant was fulfilled when Jesus was born. Old covenant promises "A guy died for your sinS". Well... he did. So the covenant isn't invalid, it's just completed.

So no, that's not made up.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

I hope this doesn't end up contributing to a precedent where obviously neutral/non-political speech becomes advocacy/political speech because some fuckface breathes and bleeds (but mainly shits) politics and therefore a shirt with a picture of the earth on it becomes the subject of an RFRA suit because some son of a bitch really has it in for climate science.
Yeah, I dunno. There might be another set of case law for this :shrug: but one of the arguments in the t-shirt case was that the Pride Festival was "without dispute a strong advocate" for sexual relationships that ran contrary to the owners' religious beliefs and was "undoubtedly" a form of "expressive association."

So if it's doubtedly expressive association or even obviously not, does the court tell the business to stuff it? Maybe.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 3, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
One of the conflicts we're witnessing is people on both sides failing to make a distinction between sexual orientation per se and advocacy for. And that's what sets us up for legal battles.

For social conservatives, everything same-sex couples do is a form of political speech, because they don't see gay people as fully people who live normal lives like everyone else. So having to serve same-sex weddings must be a form of compelled speech, when the courts are saying: no, that's just a service your business already provides to the general public and it doesn't necessarily imply any form of expressive association. It's certainly not undoubtedly so, or any more so than the loving limo driver.

For a gay rights activist, it's understandably not very convincing for someone to refuse to print you a pride parade t-shirt and then say it has nothing to do with your sexual orientation. Obviously this is motivated out of homophobia. But you see the difference here: It's a pride parade in which there's undoubtedly (as far as the courts are concerned) some advocacy going on.

But let's say you wanted t-shirts celebrating a wedding anniversary, like these rather polite and friendly-looking cascadians here:

It's hard to argue the company that printed those shirts engaged in expressive association with Biblical marriage or something. The t-shirts don't actually say anything of the sort per se. For a same-sex couple, I bet they'd have a good case if they were denied, since they weren't asking the t-shirt shop to make anything outright political. Again, there's doubt in play.

Ahhhh technicalities. I should've become a lawyer. :peanut:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 3, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Omi-Polari posted:

For social conservatives, everything same-sex couples do is a form of political speech, because they don't see gay people as fully people who live normal lives like everyone else.

Specifically, they think "being gay in public" is a form of speech that's insulting their religion.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Midnight Voyager posted:

The idea is that the Old Testament covenant was fulfilled when Jesus was born. Old covenant promises "A guy died for your sinS". Well... he did. So the covenant isn't invalid, it's just completed.

So no, that's not made up.

As I understand, Christian control freaks handwave that away by claiming that the completed covenant only shuts down the Old Testament's "ritual law", and that its "moral law" is still in effect. Where "moral law" refers to "whatever back-asswards bullshit we're peomoting" and "ritual law" refers to "any Old Testament passages one might use to discredit the idea of treating the Bible like an instruction manual".

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Counter sign: Then maybe their parents shouldn't have hosed that up by putting them up for adoption. :v:

(Edit: Not that I'm blaming biological parents for anything, but the only thing that stops children from 'not having a mom and a dad' starts from whatever choices the blood-related parents make. Having gay couples, or whatever, doesn't effect what parents children get. If they're put up for adoption, it's a crap shoot.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Morter posted:

Counter sign: Then maybe their parents shouldn't have hosed that up by putting them up for adoption. :v:

(Edit: Not that I'm blaming biological parents for anything, but the only thing that stops children from 'not having a mom and a dad' starts from whatever choices the blood-related parents make. Having gay couples, or whatever, doesn't effect what parents children get. If they're put up for adoption, it's a crap shoot.

And haven't there been actual studies showing that being raised by a homosexual couples are does not, in and of itself, have the slightest negative impact on a child's mental development?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Clarste posted:

Specifically, they think "being gay in public" is a form of speech that's insulting their religion.

Yeah, one of my friends changed his profile picture to him kissing his significant other, as you do...

:fuckoff:

There are plenty of people out there who think we don't have loves and lives like normal people, but just hold hands and kiss to gently caress with heteros.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 4, 2015

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.

VitalSigns posted:

There are plenty of people out there who think we don't have loves and lives like normal people, but just hold hands and kiss to gently caress with heteros.

I remember when people made a huge deal over Michael Sam kissing his boyfriend on television when he was drafted into the NFL. There were a great number of sportswriters and fans who implied or outright said that he did it for attention or shock value. But how many other players on draft day hug or kiss a girlfriend without anyone even noticing? All he did was embrace the person he loved. Nope, must be just trying to stick it to those straights!

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
My facebook feed has evolved from widespread celebration of gay marriage to calling everyone with a rainbow filter on their cover photo a transphobic rear end in a top hat. Yay social progress. :cripes:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah, it's this inability to conceive of love and commitment between to people of the same sex, it must be all about loving. So instead of immediately understanding why a man whose childhood dreams have just come true would be bursting with excitement and impelled to embrace the person he cares about, you see a lot of "why does he have to show off his sex life, ugh" in a way that's never done when straight players kiss their wives or girlfriends.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MsJoelBoxer posted:

I remember when people made a huge deal over Michael Sam kissing his boyfriend on television when he was drafted into the NFL. There were a great number of sportswriters and fans who implied or outright said that he did it for attention or shock value. But how many other players on draft day hug or kiss a girlfriend without anyone even noticing? All he did was embrace the person he loved. Nope, must be just trying to stick it to those straights!

Much of the anger from NFL players commenting on Twitter was that it was inappropriate because "children watch this!"

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

One of the conflicts we're witnessing is people on both sides failing to make a distinction between sexual orientation per se and advocacy for. And that's what sets us up for legal battles.

For social conservatives, everything same-sex couples do is a form of political speech, because they don't see gay people as fully people who live normal lives like everyone else. So having to serve same-sex weddings must be a form of compelled speech, when the courts are saying: no, that's just a service your business already provides to the general public and it doesn't necessarily imply any form of expressive association. It's certainly not undoubtedly so, or any more so than the loving limo driver.

I agree that people are failing to make a distinction. But I think that line tends to favor conservatives.

The argument they'd make is that they'd refuse anyone who tried to buy a "Congratulations Adam and Steve!" cake. They'd say no if Steve walked in. But they'd also say no if Steve's straight mother-in-law walked in to buy the cake as a gift. So, they refuse to make pro-gay-cakes as a product, regardless of who tries to buy one.

This should let them argue that they're not discriminating against clients, so much as they're discriminating against the message. The prosecution could argue that they're discriminating based on the intended recipient, but it's not immediately obvious that this is covered by current law.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

There is a Big Gay Wedding being held tomorrow at the Texas Capitol in Austin. Bunch of people getting hitched. GF and I were considering going to be part of the crowd wishing them well.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MsJoelBoxer posted:

Look up the "Side-Effect Effect."

Basically, it means that people who view an actor as immoral tend to more likely view that actor's actions as intentional. So if people are told that a corporation caused an oil spill, they are more likely to believe the corporation deliberately caused the spill than if ... say, their sister caused it. Because people are more likely to judge their sister positively than a corporation.

It's an imprecise analogy to be sure. But where gay people come in, is that straight people with hidden or not-so-hidden anti-gay feelings are more likely to see a gay person *acting that way* on purpose. As opposed to being just how that person acts naturally.

This is a GREAT example of it:
"I don't have anything against gay people." But when gay people actually be themselves, they're doing it deliberately in order to ... well I don't understand why they're just doing it except that it's suspicious to me!

This might also be a reflection of hidden anti-gay biases among consciously -- at least -- pro-gay people. (Honestly, I have encountered this.) I think there's been some studies where straight people were given an example of gay people kissing, and they were more likely to believe the gay couple (than a straight couple) were kissing to "make a point."

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 4, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

VitalSigns posted:

That is just... it's loving vile. Jesus.

It honestly feels sociopathic; the lack of empathy it must take to come to that conclusion.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Omi-Polari posted:

This might also be a reflection of hidden anti-gay biases among consciously -- at least -- pro-gay people. (Honestly, I have encountered this.) I think there's been some studies where straight people were given an example of gay people kissing, and they were more likely to believe the gay couple (than a straight couple) were kissing to "make a point."

That person is pro-gay much like Freepers are Not Racist because they don't openly support segregation when talking to their Black Friend(tm).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shifty Pony posted:

There is a Big Gay Wedding being held tomorrow at the Texas Capitol in Austin. Bunch of people getting hitched. GF and I were considering going to be part of the crowd wishing them well.
I might go to that. But it'll make me :qq: because SO LONELY.

Keeshhound posted:

That is just... it's loving vile. Jesus.

It honestly feels sociopathic; the lack of empathy it must take to come to that conclusion.
The good news is that it can be trained out of people through exposure.

So better start kissing! The more often in public, the better.

Evil Fluffy posted:

That person is pro-gay much like Freepers are Not Racist because they don't openly support segregation when talking to their Black Friend(tm).
Oh with that person? Most definitely.

I can recall several times when straight friends have tried to cautiously prod me into "explaining" some behavior by a gay person they witnessed that they disapproved of, that they wouldn't have batted an eye about if it was a straight person doing it. And the sad thing about it is that they are at least ostensibly pro-gay, tolerant, "progressive" people. At least they believe they are.

But they're still heterosexuals. And it's very hard if you're a heterosexual who grew up at least where I live to deprogram yourself from a lot of that. Many of them don't consciously mean any ill.

That happens much less these days. But a few years ago I remembered it happening more often. Like a gay guy acted inexplicably rude to a friend of mine at a party, who then very cautiously probed me as to why. And it's like ... umm. I don't know? What kind of question is that, really? You're not thought of as an individual. I don't know this person. Maybe he's just an rear end in a top hat? Why are you asking me? How would I know?

Or even positive behavior. A straight friend points out a gay couple in public to me. Like I would appreciate that? I swear to god. I would rather wish it was just treated normally.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 4, 2015

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Finnankainen posted:

My facebook feed has evolved from widespread celebration of gay marriage to calling everyone with a rainbow filter on their cover photo a transphobic rear end in a top hat. Yay social progress. :cripes:

Context?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Omi-Polari posted:

That happens much less these days. But a few years ago I remembered it happening more often. Like a gay guy acted inexplicably rude to a friend of mine at a party, who then very cautiously probed me as to why. And it's like ... umm. I don't know? What kind of question is that, really? You're not thought of as an individual. I don't know this person. Maybe he's just an rear end in a top hat? Why are you asking me? How would I know?

Or even positive behavior. A straight friend points out a gay couple in public to me. Like I would appreciate that? I swear to god. I would rather wish it was just treated normally.
um obviously you speak Gay and were required to translate??

I'm pretty happy that I've never experienced this kind of bullshit from straight friends. I will attribute that to living in Massachusetts (and also probably to being openly bi, not gay, and only out to a few people as trans).

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's the same kind of thing for pretty much every marginalized group. Oh you're one of them, you guys all share some kind of hive mind, right? What's he thinking over there? Where's the nearest gay person? No way, there's another gay person here? Haha you guys must have planned this at last week's all-gay meeting or something.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1fSPKKtcpaQ

This Christian PSA video was made about immoral supreme courts and a recent decision

Striking down sodomy laws

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

joat mon posted:

Galatians : "Listen up, you stupid puke eating bastards! (Especially you, Peter!) It is impossible to follow the Jewish laws! You will inevitably fail! You will always sin! Sin means no everlasting life! Sin means death. But Jesus didn't sin, so he didn't have to die. Instead he took on YOUR sins and died for your sins in your place so you won't have to, you ignorant, ungrateful shits! If it were even possible to follow the Jewish laws properly, you wouldn't need Jesus, you dumbasses! The Jewish law doesn't mean dick! So stfu about making new Christians follow the Jewish laws already!

Romans: Dear friends, I know you're confused about whether non Jews, or Jews for that matter, need to comply with all the Jewish laws in order to be Christians. Let me explain:
Nobody can follow the Jewish laws to a T. It's impossible. Not even I can, and I was a pretty good Jew.
Your failure to follow the law is sin.
God doesn't like sin.
Sinners don't get eternal life with God.
Jesus, on the other hand, never sinned.
He had a get into heaven free pass.
Instead, he died for you and took the hit for your sins so you wouldn't have to.
Jesus released you from having to follow the law, and from having to worry about not measuring up before God, ever again.
The Jewish law is worse than useless.
Follow Jesus. Practice love.

(Good posts, Omni-Polari)

I thought romans were the guys that killed jesus

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1fSPKKtcpaQ

This Christian PSA video was made about immoral supreme courts and a recent decision

Striking down sodomy laws

I love how these guys forget that the founding fathers put the Supreme Court in the Constitution. Like not in the first 10 amendments, but the original articles.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If I recall correctly, one thing fundamentalists of every stripe have in common is a selective ability to pick and choose what parts of their holy text are important.

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.

effectual posted:

I believe this post is referring to "Romans" as in Saint Paul's Letter to the Romans, a book in the Bible.

dendy crew
Jun 1, 2011

Dendy!, Dendy!, We love Dendy! Dendy - Everyone plays it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt8GtRa9Igo

potent

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Grundulum posted:

If I recall correctly, one thing fundamentalists of every stripe have in common is a selective ability to pick and choose what parts of their holy text are important.

It's weird that a lot of people hold up the Constitution as one of these holy texts.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Thump! posted:

It's weird that a lot of people hold up the Constitution as one of these holy texts.

The Constitution is religion neutral in that people from all beliefs and political persuasions pick and choose it to pieces.

effectual posted:

The book was written to Christians living in Rome, more than 20 years after Jesus's death.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Thump! posted:

I'm not sure what you think is weird about the holy text of the religion of Free Market and its prophet Ronald Reagan. Stranger religions have existed. Like that one where someone wrote an entire book about sex positions, or that other one where their god was named after a Magic: The Gathering dragon.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BadOptics posted:

I love how these guys forget that the founding fathers put the Supreme Court in the Constitution. Like not in the first 10 amendments, but the original articles.

The powers of the Supreme Court are very vaguely defined due to how law worked and still works today.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Grundulum posted:

Like that one where someone wrote an entire book about sex positions

To be fair, that one's so you can get bored of sex so it won't distract you on your path to enlightenment.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Marriages of all types happened today in front of the Texas Capitol.

In addition to the sweet couples and the awesome organizers I really liked the Texas Capitol Police officers smiling and taking pictures right alongside everyone else. :3:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Macaluso posted:

So just so we're clear, there's nothing like... forcing churches to do any gay weddings right? Like, the courts have to obviously but actual churches don't have to right? So what on earth is the problem? I could understand anti-gay marriage folks getting upset if the churches were suddenly forced to perform gay weddings even though they don't believe in it, but that's not happening. There's nothing about this being forced on to them besides the anti-gay marriage folks that work at the courts, and well we all have to deal with stuff at our jobs we don't want to. I'll never understand why they feel anything is being forced on them.

It makes more sense when you realize a whole bunch of people out there are so stupid, or so ignorant that they believe marriages, in the US, are only valid if a church is involved.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

computer parts posted:

The powers of the Supreme Court are very vaguely defined due to how law worked and still works today.

One of the most famous Supreme Court decisions is when it decided what its own job was supposed to be.

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

I worked with a not terribly bright woman who was very religious and she was absolutely convinced legal gay marriage was a persecution of Christians. She said some mumbo-jumbo about how the Bible said Christians would be persecuted and gay marriage was the proof. Someone had told her that churches would be forced to perform gay marriages and she instantly and forever believed it. I told her that would never happen but no dice. We had to agree not to talk about the subject so that we could do our jobs without fighting (although of course what that meant was she would just say something horrible and instead of us engaging her we would just ignore it). She also used to own a bakery but it went out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Omi-Polari posted:

To be charitable, that friend in particular might have just assumed he'd made some sort of homophobic faux pas that he couldn't recognize, and was asking for help in getting his foot out of his mouth. Of course, treating every social interaction with women and/or minorities like it's some kind of Tumblrized minefield is its own brand of sheltered cluelessness, but this at least sounds like someone making a good-faith effort to be less of an rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread