Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

colonel_korn posted:

Assuming that Aldo/McGregor is next, I wonder what they do with Frankie in the meantime. Like he could fight Lamas, I guess? Doesn't really do much for him though.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Aldo Conor with Mendes Frankie comain is what needs to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dangersim posted:

I really think Conor is going to ko aldo

same, op.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Kaddish posted:

Goddamn that was a great card. Aldo/McGregor is going to be absolutely insane.

It's funny because I wasn't hyped for the Aldo/McGregor card before when it was supposed to be last night's main event but now I'm hyped for it when it's the main event of some beautiful future

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Conor will have also spent a full camp training for a wrestler. He came in and straight up stuffed 3 takedowns and even if he was on bottom for a while in the second he got up each time.

Anderson stuffed 5 of 9 takedowns against Chael the first time, no one is saying he didn't get the gently caress wrestled out of him. Statistics like that are kind of useless

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Going back and actually reading through the GDT as peopel respond is very funny. A good 5 or 6 people posted that Conor was a loving joke and had nothing for Mendes and that Conor was doing no damage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snowman_McK posted:

Anderson stuffed 5 of 9 takedowns against Chael the first time, no one is saying he didn't get the gently caress wrestled out of him. Statistics like that are kind of useless

There's a huge difference in what Chael did to Anderson and what happened last night. Chael was not only GnPing like crazy, but he was winning the stand up exchanges as well. Chael dominated every second of the fight until he got triangled.

Chad did next to nothing with his takedowns and even then only would have won the second via lay and pray. He was getting hit hard from the bottom and lit up on the feet.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Chad was hitting Conor pretty good on the feet, Chad was just getting hit even worse and Conors chin appears to be granite.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a huge difference in what Chael did to Anderson and what happened last night. Chael was not only GnPing like crazy, but he was winning the stand up exchanges as well. Chael dominated every second of the fight until he got triangled.

Chad did next to nothing with his takedowns and even then only would have won the second via lay and pray. He was getting hit hard from the bottom and lit up on the feet.

Yeah, but citing 4 of 7 as some evidence that he handled the wrestling is deceptive. He didn't. Chad completed a shot from halfway across the octagon and took him for a ride. He got back up when Chad passed his guard and went for submissions. He absolutely got wrestled badly and ate a shitload of elbows.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

attackmole posted:

Chad was hitting Conor pretty good on the feet, Chad was just getting hit even worse and Conors chin appears to be granite.

I was impressed with conors attack to the body, thats one way to slow down a wrestler who is going to try to grind you out.

https://gfycat.com/MagnificentTotalInchworm

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

shizen posted:

Don't they also get a % cut for any merchandise sold

NO ONE IS BUYING THIS poo poo

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dangersim posted:

I really think Conor is going to ko aldo

at this point it wouldn't surprise me. Gotta admit though I'd like see Aldo just do this all night too:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Aurain posted:

Having local fighters be the under card is the worst thing.

If you get one chance to see 1 live MMA event a year, the last thing you want to see is a Terry Etim or a Norman Parke.

The point is the names I listed are popular and not unknowns.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

destroy utterly this vile sport and everyone in it if they give the shot to hendricks instead of making this loving fight at last

Amen.

God drat.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
those reebok payouts are embarrassing

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I thought Chad did well on the feet. The big difference was that Connor just ate every punch like it was nothing while Chad was visibly bothered by everything Connor threw

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
connor's chin is ridiculous, has Aldo's chin been tested?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

I didn't have good sound last night - what was the talk there when Conor was throwing Silva-Lutter style elbows, chad complained, and Herb said something?

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Dont forget that the guys with the extra Monster patch on their shorts got paid $0 for it too.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

EmmyOk posted:

As opposed to you who has and will be posting lovely posts forever

there is a guy on these forums that literally stalks his favorite fighter and he has the decency to only post about him once a month

take a hint

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

CommonShore posted:

I didn't have good sound last night - what was the talk there when Conor was throwing Silva-Lutter style elbows, chad complained, and Herb said something?

Herb said they're not illegal. Conor complained later why they weren't being stood up and Herb said something like "he's fighting man"

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Skip My Posts posted:

Mendes hit Aldo with an uppercut that would have decapitated most individuals

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Skip My Posts posted:

Aldo has been wobbled by Chad for sure. He never officially got dropped by a punch though, IIRC. The Mendes knockdown was counted as a slip, apparently.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Didn't Hominick hurt Aldo in the last round of their fight? Or was that a takedown?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommonShore posted:

Chad kept raking Conor's eyes on the ground in the first to the point that Herb actually stopped and told Chad between the rounds that he had given him his last warning and would take a point the next time. Conor was looking up and talking to Herb while he was talking poo poo to Mendes as well. Herb was telling Conor that Chad wasn't raking anymore and that he was active enough to keep position. Conor's elbows at one point were no good, and Herb told him to watch them. After a few more better placed one, Chad looked up at Herb who said "those were clean." Herb basically was calling the elbows clean to Mendes as they happened because he kept complaining about them.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Didn't Hominick hurt Aldo in the last round of their fight? Or was that a takedown?

Nah that was a takedown

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Skip My Posts posted:

Chad caught him with a particularly vicious shot but Aldo popped right back up and seemed fine after. Can't recall him ever being troubled otherwise. His chin is definitely good.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Herb was actually telling chad to stop sticking his fingers in the cut

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
aldo and connor are gonna beat the gently caress out of each other and its gonna be really good

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes Chad did next to nothing with the takedown, that gash on Conor's face was because

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Just watched the main card, crazy good. Picket throwing a knee then getting ko'd by the same move was great. Need Lawler V Condit next.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yuriy posted:

there is a guy on these forums that literally stalks his favorite fighter and he has the decency to only post about him once a month

take a hint

I have only really spoken about him in this month's thread, much like everyone else. Just PM me already if you are so eager to ask me out :forkbomb:

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
How long are people going to bring up the 5th round of one fight like 4 years ago where Aldo had staph, a broken foot/toe and was sick?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Going back and actually reading through the GDT as peopel respond is very funny. A good 5 or 6 people posted that Conor was a loving joke and had nothing for Mendes and that Conor was doing no damage.

does this make you feel good inside?

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Aldo Conor with Mendes Frankie comain is what needs to happen.

This is kind of a bad idea since if Mendes wins, you've lost a title contender without gaining one.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

-Atom- posted:

How long are people going to bring up the 5th round of one fight like 4 years ago where Aldo had staph, a broken foot/toe and was sick?

Probably as long as people talk about him and his fights and what happened in them

also drat if he had a million broken bones and was sick and still fought, imagine how sick he must have been all the times hes pulled out of fights at the last second (top 5 of all time btw).... cripes

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

manyak posted:

Probably as long as people talk about him and his fights and what happened in them

also drat if he had a million broken bones and was sick and still fought, imagine how sick he must have been all the times hes pulled out of fights at the last second (top 5 of all time btw).... cripes

Not as sick as this post haha.. amazing...!

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
For the record I thought Conor would lose but good for him that he didn't & this clearly leads to a better fight than aldo v mendes III.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Bean Fried posted:

This is kind of a bad idea since if Mendes wins, you've lost a title contender without gaining one.

They have Max Holloway not far off and Aldo vs McGregor immediate rematch would be fine, so would Chad Mendes getting another crack at McGregor or Mendes getting one last shot against Aldo. And then of course Frankie wins and it's a non-issue anyways.

Featherweight is good. The hurdle was Conor losing to Mendes. Now that it didn't happen they'll be lined up with interesting fights for the next 2 years.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

-Atom- posted:

Because someone asked if Aldo had ever been hurt by strikes, and I was asking because I genuinely couldn't remember the details of a fight where a striker had success against him in the 5th round because the fight was 4 years ago?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bean Fried posted:

So fighters should sit on the shelf? You put mendes/Frankie on there as a co-main in case Aldo pulls out again you have someone with a full camp ready to step in.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Yes Chad did next to nothing with the takedown, that gash on Conor's face was because

Elbows open people up pretty easily and only really need one to slice someone open. Chad threw some hard shots but they seemed to have little effect on McGregor. The cut wasn't anything that would stop a fight and the hits didn't seem to bother Conor at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah its good

• Locked thread