Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Underwater ejection testing gif:

http://gfycat.com/SparklingUnequaledBlesbok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Only in (combination with USS) America.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

makes me cringe to see the dude's head go right through the canopy whether or not it got punched by the top of the seat going out first. I'm guessing the canopy ejection charges don't work underwater?

on the other hand the part where it seems to work is a positive.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mistel tactics, 50s USN-jet style.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is a good read on an underwater ejection IRL. The whole site has some good reads.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/eunderh2o.htm

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

bitcoin bastard posted:

There are no Russian troops in Georgia. *nudges border with foot, takes another step*

That's how you added more land to your dacha in the 90s, move your fence and hope that no one noticed until your amnesty papers were processed.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Trying to decode this. If his flight orders didn't include explicit instructions to go refuel at such-and-such a time, he'd just let his planes fall out of the sky?
He thought that explicit instructions to go refuel at such-and-such a time were way too much of a hassle. His request was literally something along the lines of, "Hey, can't you guys just put a tanker up in [operating area] for a couple hours and then my guys can just tank off him when they need gas between sets?" When we told him we needed to know what receivers were being serviced, I got a scrawled piece of paper with something like, "6x F/A-18C, 2x F/A-18D" with no times or callsigns or offloads. Apparently that sort of shade tree coordination flies when you're working with KC-130s owned by the same wing, taking off from the same base, but you'd think someone stepping up to the Joint environment would realize that these things usually require a little more formality.

Other fun Marine Air tricks:

- Not understanding why planning independently and then pushing all of their requests into the battle management system shortly before the daily plan is finalized is A Problem for airspace management and also everyone else.

- "Hey, we decided to push up the forcible entry maneuver to today. Can Ospreys can refuel from KC-135s?"

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
German Patriot probably got hax0red.

Patriot-over-the-interent might have some...issues.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bewbies posted:

German Patriot probably got hax0red.

Patriot-over-the-interent might have some...issues.

I'm really curious as to what Germany uses for encryption when doing PoIP.

e: It's also of course possible that the whole report is bullshit. Primary reason it could be bullshit: even if the encryption was hacked, no one knows Patriot's dead programming language anymore :v:

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 13, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I'm really curious as to what Germany uses for encryption when doing PoIP.

Clearly theres a wide opening for consulting in ADAaaS.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The Swedish armed forces just opened their entire photo database to the public, just go to http://www.forsvarsmakten.se/sv/sok, choose "Bilder" and type in whatever you like (try for example "Gripen", "stridsvagn", "ubåt", "afghanistan", "mali" or "libyen"). Free for non-commercial use.

Unfortunately historical photos that have been transferred to the national archives aren't included, so "Viggen" gets no hits.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 13, 2015

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Douglass X-3? IN THE NAVY?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

TheFluff posted:

Unfortunately historical photos that have been transferred to the national archives aren't included, so "Viggen" gets no hits.

Should have never painted over "FARA"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My favorite gfy of the day: http://fat.gfycat.com/CanineThunderousEastrussiancoursinghounds.webm

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I think we could make lemonade out of the F-35

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

I raise you:

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

This is easily the best of ~AIRPOWER~ from that Libya report:

quote:

On May 27, RAF Typhoons, as well as other NATO assets, revisited the Bab al-Aziziyah complex and destroyed its guard towers. This latter attack was conducted with the specific aim of having a psychological impact on the regime.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A Handed Missus posted:

This is easily the best of ~AIRPOWER~ from that Libya report:

Ahahahaha. "Psychological Impact" is code for, "we literally had no targets of legitimate military value to put you against, but somebody decided it would look bad if you weren't contributing, so here's a standing structure to tee off on." I'm sure Gaddafi was pissing himself over the loss of guard towers.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 14, 2015

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

"Sergeant, that bush just drove up the hill and two smaller bushes got out."

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Was reading about the history of conscription in the United States and saw this hilarious bit:

quote:

The Selective Service (and the draft) in the United States is not limited to citizens. Howard Stringer, for example, was drafted six weeks after arriving from his native Britain in 1965.[102][103] Today, non-citizen males of appropriate age in the United States, who are permanent residents (holders of green cards), seasonal agricultural workers not holding an H-2A Visa, refugees, parolees, asylees, and illegal immigrants, are required to register with the Selective Service System.[104]

Welcome to the land of opportunity, son. Now, grab that rifle because you will be spending the next ten months in 'nam. :911:

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTz9nIUkGc

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

chitoryu12 posted:

Got another story from General Ickes! This was when the F-15 was just entering service.

Turns out the crew chief had put his wrench on a little shelf on the underside of the plane, and forgotten about it until he saw the F-15 take off.

In today's Air Force that crew chief gets an attaboy from the wing king for integrity and an article 15 from his squadron commander for violating tech data.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Didn't see this posted but there is literally a Bear in the Woods

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Even males illegally the country have to register with Selective Service.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How commonly equipped were the Hound Dog nuclear missiles in US service in the early 60's? In the event of a nuclear war, was it assumed the B-52D's would be strapped with two of em each plus internals, or were they kinda rare? Its a pretty loving neat weapon.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dandywalken posted:

How commonly equipped were the Hound Dog nuclear missiles in US service in the early 60's? In the event of a nuclear war, was it assumed the B-52D's would be strapped with two of em each plus internals, or were they kinda rare? Its a pretty loving neat weapon.

At its peak SAC had like 600 of the things so ... quite a few B-52s would have them, yes. I don't know how many B-52 wings SAC had total to say whether it was a majority or not, but yeah a lot of Hound Dogs were deployed.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I'm re-reading Command and Control and it's just as loving terrifying as the first read through.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Even males illegally the country have to register with Selective Service.

Now that transexuals can be in the military, do women who want to be men have to register?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Craptacular posted:

Now that transexuals can be in the military, do women who want to be men have to register?

The US military does not recognize transgender persons as any identity save their genetic sex. So no. The DOD has been crystal clear in basically saying "noooooope" to even dealing with questions of gender identity.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Craptacular posted:

I'm sure my transgender pre-op tranny bisexual bootcamp buddy is very happy about this change.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Smiling Jack posted:

I'm re-reading Command and Control and it's just as loving terrifying as the first read through.

I read the bit about the runway fire with the B-47 carrying the hydrogen bomb in Morocco and everybody is just running around and the base commander tells everybody to run far, far away and I mentally run out of profanity.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Holy poo poo I have to read this book

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The best tidbit from that book is finding out the first real safety measures put on US submarine missiles to prevent unauthorized launches had a habit of corroding inside the warhead. Which literally made something like 90% of the U.S. sub fleet have duds in the tubes until the corrosion problem was noticed a couple years later.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-terror/missiles-become-detached-british-tornado-fighter-jet-cyprus-n392361

quote:

Two missiles fell off a British fighter jet while it was landing at a military base Wednesday morning after an anti-ISIS mission over Syria and Iraq, officials told NBC News.

The radar-guided Brimstone missiles "became detached" from a Royal Air Force Tornado as it was landing in bad weather on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus, a military spokesman said.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Have lots of tissue ready, for you will blow a load or two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ba2wWgc8cU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Have lots of tissue ready, for you will blow a load or two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ba2wWgc8cU

Someone could of got hurt from those flying metal rods.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gnD68O7yAM

Maybe paint some teeth around that little flappy, or glue a tiny tophat onto it.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Syndic Thrass posted:

Holy poo poo I have to read this book

Yes, you do. It's probably the scariest book I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
So the Baseball All-star game was in Cincinnati Last night. They had some F/A-18 Super Hornets do a fly over and they parked them overnight at the Airport. I happened upon them when I got to work this morning. Good day indeed.