Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galler
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

Life is too short to drink lovely beer.

Definitely. I do not really drink beer all that much anymore but if I'm going to bother then it's at least going to be something decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

At work people leave behind lots of beer, the other day I got a case of Corona, and surprisingly it was pretty drat tasty with a lime on a hot day, poo poo goes down like water because that's pretty much what it is :v:

Also got a case of Heineken light and can honestly say it one of the better light beers out there, even though I can't stand regular Heineken.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Drinking some Anarchist Amber Ale right now, enjoying a night where I don't have anything pressing to do tomorrow and also the first night in like a month where I don't need to mess around with the now-finished SA-GTE thing either.

leica posted:

If you like Bourbon and/or really good ale, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is the poo poo, soooo good.

http://www.kentuckyale.com/portfolio_page/kentuckybourbonbarrelale/?age-verified=f8ec6afaab

That's right up my alley. Too bad I can't get it anywhere within like 1500 miles of where I live :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fjelltorsk, Tesla just one-upped your car: https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/17/8994519/tesla-ludicrous-speed-model-s

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

Drinking some Anarchist Amber Ale right now, enjoying a night where I don't have anything pressing to do tomorrow and also the first night in like a month where I don't need to mess around with the now-finished SA-GTE thing either.

That's right up my alley. Too bad I can't get it anywhere within like 1500 miles of where I live :(

They have it at most liquor depots, the one in brentwood sells it by the keg

http://www.liquorconnect.com/Products/Pages/3210-00754572.aspx

e: there doesn't seem to be the option anymore, but you used to be able to put in a request for alcoholic stuff not sold here, and they would forward the request to importers.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 18, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

scuz posted:

PBR has, for be, been supplanted by Hamm's: the piss of choice 'round these parts. 30-packa-Hamm's is on the schedule for today cuz I'm broke and would like to drink beer. 30 cans from the land of sky blue waters for ~$14. Hell yes.

You almost forgot the option of Old Milwaukee, my camping staple since 2003. Also PBR at least round these parts is like 2.50 for a tall boy at most bars. So I drink plenty of that.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
So what I may have thought was eye issues.... Turns out it was an inner ear thing. Full on head spins Wednesday morning with tons of vomiting. Went to urgent care, they looked at me like I was stupid, got to my primary care and he's like oh yeah that's Labyrinthitis. Holy gently caress folks, I just now can read, eat and drink, almost 70 some hours later. It sucks, I feel like a baby calf trying to walk for the first time. Luckily, my Dr gave me some good drugs so its taking the edge off every thing. I felt well enough to do the dishes - a task that normally takes 5-10 minutes took 20. Its pretty much relearning how to function. The inner ear is an amazing thing folks!

Whew, that was long. Its nice to be able to read and function again.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

got to my primary care and he's like oh yeah that's Labyrinthitis.

Did you piss off any goblin kings lately? :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CharlesM posted:

Why doesn't the U.S. have Chip + PIN for credit cards, or something? I literally went through the stolen credit card thing 3 weeks ago, now again. Come on!

The cards are being issued (I've had 2 of mine replaced with chip cards now), but this:

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's coming, but the problem is rolling out a billion devices for merchants to be able to handle them the right way takes a long time.

Is a very real issue. It's going to be forced soon though, as fees will skyrocket for non EMV devices through the processors. I don't remember the actual timing (since I don't work on that area, and all my stuff is already EMV certified), but it's not far off. Eventually the higher fees will outweigh the cost of new devices and the merchants will cave and buy new ones.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I've been drinking a lot of stouts lately. Good thing there is a craft beer store a couple miles down the road. poo poo does get expensive though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Locator posted:

The cards are being issued (I've had 2 of mine replaced with chip cards now), but this:

Is a very real issue. It's going to be forced soon though, as fees will skyrocket for non EMV devices through the processors. I don't remember the actual timing (since I don't work on that area, and all my stuff is already EMV certified), but it's not far off. Eventually the higher fees will outweigh the cost of new devices and the merchants will cave and buy new ones.

I don't know how much of a difference it makes but they're doing chip + signature for my cards vs chip and pin. Nobody looks at signatures so it still seems weak.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My old roommates (one of whom is a good friend) just bought their 2nd house and moved into it a few weeks ago. They are renting out their first house. They are the first of my friends to be home owners so I am not sure of the protocol. They are having a house warming party tomorrow. Should I get them a present? They already have any household poo poo they may need from living in their first house so it's not as if they need a gravy boat and washer/dryer. If it is proper to get them a gift would like a pre-loaded gift card or a nice bottle of whiskey suffice?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A good bottle of sipping booze or good wine is probably the better choice.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

No such thing as bad beers, only better beers.

Except VB. That poo poo doesnt count as beer.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

88h88 posted:

Five Guys.

Ugh. So good.

I'd be so loving fat and broke if I lived within an hour's drive of one.

Still don't get it. Never been that great whenever I've been.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Elmnt80 posted:

A good bottle of sipping booze or good wine is probably the better choice.

For their second house, this is perfect. Bring something to leave and something to drink while you are there. My wife and I had a bar stocking party instead of a housewarming thing since we had all the house/kitchen stuff and the things we wanted are multi$$$ yard toys and the such.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Just like there is a place in the world for Hamburger and for Steak so is there room for all qualities of beer.

Earlier I had a Belgian Wit Beer from Alaska and right now I'm having a weird Watermelon Wheat from San Fransisco, but I've also got Rainier (PNW PBR) down in the beer fridge too.

I talked a while back about buying a fast car. Rather than be patient and find the right used M3 sedan or C63 I ended up test driving an S3 and really, really liked it, so I've reserved a dark gray 2016 that is somewhere in the Atlantic right now. That'll be fun.

It's supposed to be a warm weekend (at least in Seattle) have a good one and stay hydrated y'all.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

trouser chili posted:

Still don't get it. Never been that great whenever I've been.

You're doing it wrong. Its still one of the best fast food burgers I have eaten.

Its sooooo nice to not have a spinning room. Balance is something that should never be taken for granted.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

leica posted:

If you like Bourbon and/or really good ale, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is the poo poo, soooo good.

http://www.kentuckyale.com/portfolio_page/kentuckybourbonbarrelale/?age-verified=f8ec6afaab

Can confirm, amazing stuff. A few glasses will put you down for the night after a long days work/flight.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

This dude I know from HS is straight up smoking a weed vape at the bar.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

This dude I know from HS is straight up smoking a weed vape at the bar.

A couple of our friends used to to that constantly until we made them knock that poo poo off, because it made the whole bar reek and pissed off the bartenders who took good care of us. "What, it doesn't smell man :downs:"

Just got woken up in the middle of the night by bloody murder shrieking. Sprinted downstairs to see what the gently caress and the loving 3lb kitten somehow managed to get the old sticky outer window, that hasn't been closed since before I moved in, slammed shut and jammed down on his paw. The window fell shut at a weird angle because his paw was in the way, so it wedged itself in the window frame. Took me five minutes of simultaneous yanking on the window to try to get it open, and trying to keep the cat from shrieking any louder than he already was. :smith:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Will probably get it retrofitted i guess.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ugh, just had a fight with the lady about motorcycles. A few weeks ago we were up at Summerfest and she was all about me checking the Harley booth out since she "knew I liked bikes" but got a weird look on her face when I said I hated cruisers. Got to talking about it earlier tonight (I made a joke that I "did a bad thing" and started pricing out old CB750s) and she asked to see what kind of bike I wanted.

Disclaimer: I am apparently a massive hipster. The answer to her question is "cafe racers."

I showed her some shots of Ducati 750GTs and Moto Guzzi 850ts and she starts going off about "crotch rockets" and how they're "annoying Asian deathtraps" (and no, the "those are Italian bikes, babe" didn't go over well) and why don't I want a Harley or some other cruiser where I'm not "hanging over the gas tank?"

She gets nasty about me wanting to go do poo poo like the Dragon or Mulholland on a cafe racer, starts going off about "riceburners and doing stupid tricks" and I just kind of snapped at her.

Somewhere between the "nice to know you think I'm an insufferable loving idiot" and "I don't want a Harley because I want to ride, not putt from bar to bar searching for my next loving meth dealer" I realized I shouldn't be yelling at her, but I've told her before that I've literally dreamed of this poo poo for the last six years and she was fine then; after I show her a couple pictures suddenly she's not okay with it.

This bugs the gently caress out of me, because she's okay with me getting a bike as long as I don't actually do anything fun with it.

I finally just told her that we can talk about it later, when we're not tired/cranky/whatever, but goddamn.

I know I'll end up hearing about how one of her friends died on a sportbike and that's why they're terrible, etc., and I also know that when I tell her that I, too, have lost a friend on a bike that somehow my story will mean nothing while hers means everything, because reasons.

I liked this one, too :(. With how supportive she is of my weird Mazda obsession I thought she'd be fine with my bike stuff. I have a feeling this is going to end up causing us problems later on.

Edit: loving OF COURSE THE NIGHT THIS ARGUMENT HAPPENS A '74 GUZZI 850T GETS LISTED LESS THAN 200 MILES AWAY FROM ME

gently caress

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 18, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CharlesM posted:

I don't know how much of a difference it makes but they're doing chip + signature for my cards vs chip and pin. Nobody looks at signatures so it still seems weak.

I don't know much about the nuts and bolts at the merchant end, I just know that the card brands are driving a change to EMV through increasing fee's, and we've been through several stages of changing our software to support it. We finished and were fully EMV compliant about a year ago, so from our perspective (3rd party processor) it's ready for full chip + pin and has been since last August, or maybe October for a couple pieces. At this point it is simply a matter of the card brands turning the screws down on the fee's to get the acquirers and merchants to comply, although I think at some point there is an actual drop-dead date where compliance becomes mandatory - again from the card brands.

I think the first stage of fees for non-EMV kick in this coming October, so it's not far off.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ferremit posted:

No such thing as bad beers, only better beers.

Except VB. That poo poo doesnt count as beer.

Ahem. Fosters, XXXX, Tooheys, Budweiser, Miller lIte, Corona Export, the list of poo poo beers is extensive

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Professor Bling posted:

Ugh, just had a fight with the lady about motorcycles.

It just sounds like she doesn't understand that it's not the bike that matters its the rider. Alot of people who don't ride have this misconception that anything not a cruiser is terrifyingly dangerous in comparison to a cruiser.

I get it though, it took me about a year of convincing before my wife was cool with me getting a bike. Since then we have both gotten our endorsements and shits been cool.

Alternatively suffer not the heretic to live and ride eternal shiny and chrome.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Professor Bling posted:

I liked this one, too :(. With how supportive she is of my weird Mazda obsession I thought she'd be fine with my bike stuff. I have a feeling this is going to end up causing us problems later on.

When I was shopping for a motorcycle (cute little 250) my wife, who is normally very nice to me, turned straight nasty about it. I stood my ground and did what I wanted, but in the end, the long rides that I wanted to do ended up being spoiled by other drivers on the road. After all that poo poo it turns out that long rear end rides can be just as boring as long rear end drives.

The compromise ended up being selling the bike and getting a miata, so she could enjoy being stuck in traffic with me :v: gently caress Houston.

Happy wife, happy life. I don't miss riding that much after meeting someone who's very broken after wrecking on the track going 150mph. gently caress that noise.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Happy fuckin' birthday to me. The last year has basically been one long, sustained kick to the beanbag. Maybe the next year will be a little beHAHAHAHAHA, who the gently caress am I kidding :smith:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Happy birthday bandman! Things will get better.

The power is out at work. Should I ask to go home and do my work from there, or sit around and hope the showroom eventually gets power?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Jules Bianchi succumbed to his injuries from Suzuka today. :(

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Professor Bling posted:

Ugh, just had a fight with the lady about motorcycles.

That sucks. Maybe get a Sportster 1200 and ease her into it? I had an Evo-era 883R that I put whitewalls on, inverted the mirrors and it was kinda like a "cafe racer" except cool and reliable. I also blasted it through plenty of twisties scraping pegs. Harleys aren't all methbaggers; I loved that little sportster and still miss it.

Or you could burn her on brand technicality and get an XR1200 :getin:

Just to make you jealous; last weekend when I test rode a Tuono v4 and was price haggling with the seller, my GF actively tried to make me pay his price because she liked it so much :v: I was all thank you dear but I'm trying to haggle damnit

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

T-Square posted:

Jules Bianchi succumbed to his injuries from Suzuka today. :(

Ugh, so sad :(

First f1 death since senna, right?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Speaking of, whats the deal with michael Schumacher? Something about Germany banning unofficial reports about his health. Is he just perma hosed brain damage now?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Preoptopus posted:

Speaking of, whats the deal with michael Schumacher? Something about Germany banning unofficial reports about his health. Is he just perma hosed brain damage now?

The family is keeping his health status to themselves, which is perfectly within their right. Anything you hear is pretty much speculation by the media, but it's probably safe to say that he's permanently disabled.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If someone gets nasty to you about what you like, gently caress them. You don't need that poo poo in your life.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Agreed, if someone's going to kick up a fuss about something you enjoy or will enjoy then bollocks to 'em. Unless your new interest is murder or something along those lines...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Ugh, so sad :(

First f1 death since senna, right?

Only other might be Maria de Villota. It was over a year after her wreck, but it was probably due to complications from the severe injuries she had.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

MrChips posted:

The family is keeping his health status to themselves, which is perfectly within their right. Anything you hear is pretty much speculation by the media, but it's probably safe to say that he's permanently disabled.

:( what a way to go. Skiing of all things.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261965389892?rmvSB=true

Barn find Countach anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
e30 fender and bumper are prepped and ready to go to paint next week. Found some bondo on the fender but it was a relatively small spot. Time to go sit out by the pool. :cheers:

• Locked thread