Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You're looking for the forced subtitle flag

Something like this would work

http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/general-video/how-to-add-subtitles-to-mkv-files-using-mkvmerge-gui

or

http://madaboutbrighton.net/articles/encode-forced-subtitles-using-mkvmerge if you're happy using a CLI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Botnit posted:

I'm looking for a way to combine an MKV file with an .srt subtitle file so that it automatically plays the subtitle file when opening, instead of having to turn it on through VLC subtitles.

Any ideas what program to use, or if it's even possible?

Easy, I do poo poo like this often: go get yourself MKVToolNix.

Once installed, open up mkvmerge gui (although there is a new GUI which I haven't familiarised myself with yet), and add the video in, then add the srt file in.

Click on the SRT file in the list, and make sure the default track flag in the lower section (general track options) is set to yes. Select an output filename, and click start muxing.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Thanks guys, ended up using both Handbrake and mkvmerge and now I should be able to handle any subtitle problems I'll come across.

Toolnix/mkvmerge ended up being what I needed in this specific circumstance since the sub was already in the video as an .srt

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am trying to remember a piece of software I used to have. You would point it at a director of mp3s and it would spit out a text file with all the info from the mp3s in the directory, album, bitrate, etc. Google is not being helpful to me at all and it is driving me crazy. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Djarum posted:

I am trying to remember a piece of software I used to have. You would point it at a director of mp3s and it would spit out a text file with all the info from the mp3s in the directory, album, bitrate, etc. Google is not being helpful to me at all and it is driving me crazy. Anyone know what I am talking about?

CLI or GUI? ffmpeg/probe can almost certainly do this with the right command and some pipes.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

mp3tag can do that with the export function

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Read posted:

CLI or GUI? ffmpeg/probe can almost certainly do this with the right command and some pipes.

I almost want to say it might have been CLI. It was a stand alone program though. I have one of the files it outputted still by luck.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnuhwkqfm1omdjo/list.txt?dl=0

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
https://bitheap.org/dnuos/
http://oidua.suxbad.com/

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've been using iTunes for a number of years to manage my local music, but with a very short period before I change my phone to an Android model, I need to start using non-proprietary software. What's the best software to catalogue and navigate music easily? I'm up to about 180gb of FLAC/MP3 presently. Is Winamp still a thing?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Southern Heel posted:

I've been using iTunes for a number of years to manage my local music, but with a very short period before I change my phone to an Android model, I need to start using non-proprietary software. What's the best software to catalogue and navigate music easily? I'm up to about 180gb of FLAC/MP3 presently. Is Winamp still a thing?

You can keep using iTunes and just sync music to your phone with a phone app, that's what I do.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Google music

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Southern Heel posted:

Yes, Winamp is still a thing, it got bought out from AOL's holdings after they announced they'd discontinue it.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Southern Heel posted:

I just use iSyncr because I'm too lazy to switch music players. There's probably other options out there.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Take a look at MediaMonkey if it's the sort of thing you're looking for. It's managing your local, personal collection like a caveman, like it's 2005 or something, but maybe you're just that anally retentive.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

That is it exactly. Thanks!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Southern Heel posted:

I've always rather enjoyed J River Media Center, but it does cost money...

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

my mom has about 70000 messages in outlook 2013. these are not on an exchange server or anything like that. these are coming straight from roadrunner and downloading to her pc. outlook has a hard time handling this amount. the PST is massive. is there anything to improve outlook's performance? everything about it seems to crawl.

yes, i've tried to move her to gmail and other web-based email services but she absolutely hates them. i don't loving understand it either.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Abel Wingnut posted:

my mom has about 70000 messages in outlook 2013. these are not on an exchange server or anything like that. these are coming straight from roadrunner and downloading to her pc. outlook has a hard time handling this amount. the PST is massive. is there anything to improve outlook's performance? everything about it seems to crawl.

yes, i've tried to move her to gmail and other web-based email services but she absolutely hates them. i don't loving understand it either.

Is it 64 bit Outlook? If not, have you tried reinstalling it and office as 64 bit? She wouldn't be using plug-ins anyway.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Start archiving them to another PST(s).

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, this is horrible. It feels like it's gotten better about it, but still it's irritating as hell when it happens.

If it helps, I haven't come across this but maybe once in the month or so since I switched to the Windows 10 IP. Even on identical files, I can open them after downloading them sooner on my slower HTPC than on my much, much faster desktop when both are running the newest Defender updates on both systems (Windows 10 on HTPC, Windows 8.1 on desktop).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm about to build a dedicated XP machine so I can run a bunch of older games that simply don't work with Windows 7 and beyond. I know official support was pulled last year but if I update everything as far as I can and only use the machine to access Steam should I still be pretty secure? I never plan to access the internet otherwise. Or is there a simple anti-virus that still supports XP that is worth having?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm about to build a dedicated XP machine so I can run a bunch of older games that simply don't work with Windows 7 and beyond. I know official support was pulled last year but if I update everything as far as I can and only use the machine to access Steam should I still be pretty secure? I never plan to access the internet otherwise. Or is there a simple anti-virus that still supports XP that is worth having?

You can continue to get MS security updates by setting a registry entry so that your XP install thinks that it's an install of Windows XP Posready (for point of sale machines, cash registers, etc). That will continue to get updates until 2019, although it's technically not for windows xp desktop. So far there's been no problems with it on the machines I've got set up that way.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/183362-windows-xp-rises-from-the-grave-simple-hack-gives-you-five-more-years-of-updates

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Wow that's pretty cool. And it shouldn't gently caress with other programs right?

And what about an anti-virus suite? MSE is dead for xp so Im not sure if I should get something.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Check out Bitdefender Free, it is low resource and works on XP.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have a PC with an LGA 775 Celeron (slow. . .) and 4Gb of DDR2. It has 2 DIMMs and supports 8Gb but I can't find 2 4Gb sticks for less than $200. I can get an e8600 for $20 on eBay but I have not done that yet because of memory issues. . . i am pretty sure it would not belp, but just maybe going from a 2.slow Celeron to a 3GHz CPU might help compensate for the RAM?

I installed 64bit win 7 ultimate on the PC and I'm noticing this thing really ramps up the memory usage easily. At idle, it sits at 900Mb, but load a few tabs in Chrome, run Windows update, or install software I find myself getting out of memory pop ups. So far I have not installed a lot of software but trying to instal AMD catalyst drivers was painful, same for Chrome and 7zip.

I removed a few windows feature like media center, media player. Internet explorer, xps printer/viewer, etc hoping that might reduce memory usage but I honestly don't know if that will help or not. Would switching to 64bit home premium or 32 bit ultimate improve the memory situation? Hell, I even have an XP home and pro key which should be quite happy with 4Gb. My goal for this pc is to run emulators, early 2000s games, and Facebook or gamefaqs.

On a related note, would switching to an older GPU help older games? The GPU right now is an HD5670, I also have an ATI x1800 and an Nvidia 6600gt. I am really only considering switching since I feel like it's wasting my 'fast' GPU.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don't put this machine online. Download the games on a modern system and use a shared drive or usb stick or whatever to move them over. Also for games that won't work in 7, I'd think a VM would be an option instead of dedicated hardware.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Factor Mystic posted:

Don't put this machine online. Download the games on a modern system and use a shared drive or usb stick or whatever to move them over. Also for games that won't work in 7, I'd think a VM would be an option instead of dedicated hardware.

This is probably the way to go, but what about limiting its Internet access to IPs associated with Windows Update and Steam?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why XP though? There's very few older games that need XP specifically to run.

Why not build a Windows 98 SE machine? One of the major upsides is that nearly all modern malware you might run across simply can't run at all due to lack of the NT kernel, and that antivirus packages designed for it are essentially "complete" - because the last new compatible malware came out years and years ago. Any games you only have on Steam, wither just copy the files over (most of them will work just fine) o find another source for them.

And with the unofficial service pack ( http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unofficial_windows98_se_service_pack.html ) you can add stuff like universal support for USB flash drives without needing special new drivers for each, and the like.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Crotch Fruit posted:

I find myself getting out of memory pop ups.
You shouldn't be getting these ever. Something is hosed with the pagefile/swapfile. Did you follow some garbage tutorial telling you to disable it to spare your ssd or something? It needs to be on and managed automatically, barring a few very specific exceptions where you might want te reduce it in size. But on, always.

Switching Windows versions wouldn't help. A fast cpu won't compensate for a lack of ram. Ripping out Windows core components like IE: a bad idea. 4GB is still enough for any normal use that doesn't involve humongous canvasses in Photoshop or whatever.

Something is hosed. If you didn't do it, then a complete reinstall might help. Unless you've got failing memory or hard drive (which you should check); a fresh install that isn't tampered with shouldn't behave the way yours does and fighting the symptoms would be a losing battle.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
When you configure proxy settings in the Internet Options control panel there's a checkbox to bypass the proxy for local addresses. What metric does it use to determine whether it's local? Network segment or DNS name? Some other form of black magic?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What games do you actually need this for?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Windows 7 professional comes with a built in XP virtual machine for backwards compatibility.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I was under the impression that virtual machines did not take advantage of a video card, which is a bit of an issue even with oldish games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I was under the impression that virtual machines did not take advantage of a video card, which is a bit of an issue even with oldish games.

Windows 7s "WinXP Mode" is in no way intended or useful for gaming, yeah.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What games specifically are you after? If they'll run in Windows 98, you should build a Windows 98 machine, which is much easier to secure due to being so obsolete.

Windows XP is the perfect suck spot of too old to keep secure but too commonly used for malware to not avoid. While you can actively try to infect Windows 98 and modern stuff will just fail because it doesn't have the NT kernel.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Windows 7s "WinXP Mode" is in no way intended or useful for gaming, yeah.

Yeah so that isn't really an option. I'm not really devoting resources to this, I'm just throwing a bunch of older parts I have into a smaller case. God knows I have the parts. I just want to ensure that I do it as securely as possible when I actually use it. Even older games that technically work on Windows 7 require work arounds that may or may not work right and this will just be easier.

I'm looking to play games from the early 2000s. Right in the early XP era that wouldn't work with Windows 98. I really want to get Kotor 1 and 2 running because it is a total bitch to try and get those games to run on Windows 7 with any kind of consistency. Just take a look at the Steam forums for the game and you'll see nothing seems to work right.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 20, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm looking to play games from the early 2000s. Right in the early XP era that wouldn't work with Windows 98. I really want to get Kotor 1 and 2 running because it is a total bitch to try and get those games to run on Windows 7 with any kind of consistency. Just take a look at the Steam forums for the game and you'll see nothing seems to work right.

KOTOR 1 and 2 work in 98, I played both of them on my old Pentium III system. back when they were new. It generally took until like 2005 for games to come out that absolutely required 2000 or XP, and those generally run ok in 7.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

KOTOR 1 and 2 work in 98, I played both of them on my old Pentium III system. back when they were new. It generally took until like 2005 for games to come out that absolutely required 2000 or XP, and those generally run ok in 7.

That's actually pretty cool but I'm sure Steam won't work on 98. And even if I don't use Steam would 98 even be able to use drivers for a 2005ish video card like a GeForce 7800gtx? I don't have any old AGP cards and I'd rather not have to buy a new (old) motherboard and CPU anyway.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

stubblyhead posted:

When you configure proxy settings in the Internet Options control panel there's a checkbox to bypass the proxy for local addresses. What metric does it use to determine whether it's local? Network segment or DNS name? Some other form of black magic?

It uses DNS suffix exclusively. If that is present in the resolved url, then the proxy is bypassed, otherwise it is used.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

You shouldn't be getting these ever. Something is hosed with the pagefile/swapfile. Did you follow some garbage tutorial telling you to disable it to spare your ssd or something? It needs to be on and managed automatically, barring a few very specific exceptions where you might want te reduce it in size. But on, always.

Switching Windows versions wouldn't help. A fast cpu won't compensate for a lack of ram. Ripping out Windows core components like IE: a bad idea. 4GB is still enough for any normal use that doesn't involve humongous canvasses in Photoshop or whatever.

Something is hosed. If you didn't do it, then a complete reinstall might help. Unless you've got failing memory or hard drive (which you should check); a fresh install that isn't tampered with shouldn't behave the way yours does and fighting the symptoms would be a losing battle.

Actually I did not follow any "garbage tutorial", I did a fresh install Friday night with the page file still intact. I did not "rip out" windows components, I used the add/remove feature to remove programs that I do not use. Considering that Windows is available without IE (the N editions nobody buys) I doubt that uninstalling IE hurt anything.

But I will run memtest on this pc for a while, either the RAM or budget Asus board is hosed since the hard drive is new.