Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mush Man posted:

Doesn't triple-buffered V-Sync solve that or are game developers still using double-buffering for some reason?

Triple buffering also DRASTICALLY increases input lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Fairly vague question, but I didn't actually see a TV megathread... : will I notice a downgrade in size if I go from 42" to 40" at about 5'? I'm guessing no, but the new TV is significantly higher quality.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Captain Yossarian posted:

Fairly vague question, but I didn't actually see a TV megathread... : will I notice a downgrade in size if I go from 42" to 40" at about 5'? I'm guessing no, but the new TV is significantly higher quality.

Probably won't be a big deal, but I imagine you will notice for a little bit at first.

The HDTV thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Ryuga Death posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent/good 27 inch 1080p monitor? There's a lot of choices on Amazon, but I'm not sure of which one to go with.
I was under the impression that the general consensus is that you should really want to be at 1440p with 27 inches

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

taqueso posted:

Probably won't be a big deal, but I imagine you will notice for a little bit at first.

The HDTV thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

Thank you, and thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I am an idiot

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

Wasabi the J posted:

Triple buffering also DRASTICALLY increases input lag.

Isn't the increase in input lag only <16.6ms longer on a 60 Hz display than with V-Sync off, and the same as double-buffering? I mean, you don't get the frame in any scenario until it's finished drawing and the buffer swaps, right?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just checking in back after over a month of using the Acer XB270HU alongside an LG 34UM95. Response times are dramatically different on pretty much anything resembling an FPS. I wanted to give it some time to get past the honeymoon period but I'd say at this point that the 34UM95 feels unplayable in comparison for anything besides non-action RTS/adventure/etc. games. I had posted a few times before about how I felt like I was simply unable to pull off a lot of the stuff I was used to in my various FPS games on the 34UM95 and that was confirmed when the new monitor arrived. 180 flick shots are back! It definitely looks cooler having the ultra wide aspect for, say, chilling over Gotham as Batman on a roof or something. Then you switch it to a g-sync monitor and realize it is still better to have zero frame or response issues. Picture quality still goes to the 34UM95 of course, even though they are both IPS. The colors and contrast are just much better and it's a perfect movie monitor.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Varg posted:

I was under the impression that the general consensus is that you should really want to be at 1440p with 27 inches

I'm doing dual monitors but one of my monitors died the other day. Is it really that bad to ask for a 27 inch with 1080p?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ryuga Death posted:

I'm doing dual monitors but one of my monitors died the other day. Is it really that bad to ask for a 27 inch with 1080p?

It depends how far away from it you are and/or how bad your eyesight is. I set up a 27" 1080 monitor for a lab that has it wall mounted so they can show off their USB attached microscope camera to anyone important. So, they mostly watch TV on it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

It really is. Future you will thank you if you get a 1440p monitor.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ryuga Death posted:

Matching is a good reason, but it is constraining a buy where better options are available based on older gear, which may or may not suit you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mush Man posted:

Isn't the increase in input lag only <16.6ms longer on a 60 Hz display than with V-Sync off, and the same as double-buffering? I mean, you don't get the frame in any scenario until it's finished drawing and the buffer swaps, right?

Maybe I'm not correct but I thought triple buffering meant rendering ahead 3 frames but I think I was misinformed.

I hate v-sync and hope that whatever new standard works gets standardized and widely spread sooner than later.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

Matching is a good reason, but it is constraining a buy where better options are available based on older gear, which may or may not suit you.

Wibla posted:

Rexxed posted:

It depends how far away from it you are and/or how bad your eyesight is. I set up a 27" 1080 monitor for a lab that has it wall mounted so they can show off their USB attached microscope camera to anyone important. So, they mostly watch TV on it.

Well, my primary monitor is a 1080p 27inch, but I'll turn it into the secondary monitor if need be. I'd like to use dual monitors for productivity stuff but I only play games on a single monitor. Is a gtx 970 with an i5 4570 and 8gb of ram able to play games comfortably at 1440p? If so, what are my best options at 27 inches?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Wasabi the J posted:

Maybe I'm not correct but I thought triple buffering meant rendering ahead 3 frames but I think I was misinformed.

I don't see how anything else is possible unless the system is capable of rendering frames at three times the refresh rate. If it really does work the other way, that means it's discarding two out of every three frames under ideal conditions.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ryuga Death posted:

Well, my primary monitor is a 1080p 27inch, but I'll turn it into the secondary monitor if need be. I'd like to use dual monitors for productivity stuff but I only play games on a single monitor. Is a gtx 970 with an i5 4570 and 8gb of ram able to play games comfortably at 1440p? If so, what are my best options at 27 inches?

People here are super militant about their pixels. If you have a 1080p 27" and it's fine for you, then I'd say replace it with the same thing if that's what you want. 27" 1080p are in the $200-300 range depending on the model.

A gtx 970 struggles to hit a solid 60 at 1080p ultra in quite a few games. You'll be looking at turning some stuff down for 1440p for sure.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Could I get some recommendations for an IPS monitor between 27"-30"? Mostly used for games but not fast paced games(ie Civilization, Football Manager, isometric RPGs).

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Rakthar posted:

People here are super militant about their pixels. If you have a 1080p 27" and it's fine for you, then I'd say replace it with the same thing if that's what you want. 27" 1080p are in the $200-300 range depending on the model.

A gtx 970 struggles to hit a solid 60 at 1080p ultra in quite a few games. You'll be looking at turning some stuff down for 1440p for sure.

Then again you could always commit heresy and play on what's basically a 24" 1080p screen within your 27" 1440p monitor if it supports 1:1 pixel mapping.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

GreatGreen posted:

Then again you could always commit heresy and play on what's basically a 24" 1080p screen within your 27" 1440p monitor if it supports 1:1 pixel mapping.

Or enable GPU scaling in NVIDIA Control Panel (or AMD equivalent) if it doesn't.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry. :( All I wanted were some monitor recommendations. I play games (FPS, RPGs, fighting games like street fighter 4) and do general web browsing. Is there anything good at 27 inches (1080p or 1440p, doesn't matter) that will look alright and won't kill my wallet?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Korean budget monitors are generally a good buy, but you have to be careful about what you get since the different models can be confusing. QNIX used to be good, the newer ones have a crappy backlight though. I think the Crossover branded ones are still good from what I read?

This one seems to be okay: http://www.amazon.com/CROSSOVER-2795-QHD-AHIPS-LED/dp/B00TERTMI6

Caveats are is that the stands are kinda poo poo on these monitors (not really a problem if you have a sturdy desk) and quality control can occasionally be iffy... apparently? Honestly everyone I know has had fantastic luck with them. You might get a dead pixel but they're so small that you can't really notice them. You can overclock them for higher refresh rates if you're feeling adventurous too.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

SwissCM posted:

The Korean budget monitors are generally a good buy, but you have to be careful about what you get since the different models can be confusing. QNIX used to be good, the newer ones have a crappy backlight though. I think the Crossover branded ones are still good from what I read?

This one seems to be okay: http://www.amazon.com/CROSSOVER-2795-QHD-AHIPS-LED/dp/B00TERTMI6

Caveats are is that the stands are kinda poo poo on these monitors (not really a problem if you have a sturdy desk) and quality control can occasionally be iffy... apparently? Honestly everyone I know has had fantastic luck with them. You might get a dead pixel but they're so small that you can't really notice them. You can overclock them for higher refresh rates if you're feeling adventurous too.

Did the Qnix get so much worse as to discard the fact the off grade is still $200? It's so good for the price, or at least was.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

Wasabi the J posted:

I hate v-sync and hope that whatever new standard works gets standardized and widely spread sooner than later.

Zorilla posted:

I don't see how anything else is possible unless the system is capable of rendering frames at three times the refresh rate. If it really does work the other way, that means it's discarding two out of every three frames under ideal conditions.

I think you're talking about pre-rendered frames, which is a different setting in video control panels. From my understanding, buffer in this case simply means a place in memory for writing data to. Leaving V-Sync off actually uses two buffers instead of just one. Programs would only use one in the past, but I think some problems arose during the VGA days where they ended up competing with the CRT electron beam with bad consequences. In short, the display draws from the front buffer and the program writes to the back one.

If V-Sync is off, that just means the buffers swap whenever the frame finishes rendering, irrespective of how much of the original frame the monitor drew, making tearing possible. When V-Sync is on using only two buffers, the back buffer only swaps when the monitor finishes drawing, meaning the program can't draw new frames until the back buffer is ready again. A frame might take between 1 and 2 refreshes to draw, but the renderer has to stall until the second refresh when it's safe to continue every time, so the frame rate halves.

Triple-buffered V-Sync adds a third buffer so there's always a place for the program to render to. The monitor has a buffer to read from, there's a buffer for swapping finished frames to for when the monitor wants them, and the program has a buffer that it can safely draw to.

Although, I might be wrong about some of that, which is why I asked in the first place.

That said, you're right, getting the monitors to do the syncing makes far more sense. I'm glad they're properly solving the problem.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

SwissCM posted:

QNIX used to be good, the newer ones have a crappy backlight though.

Crappy how? If you mean that they use PWM backlighting, they've always been that way. There aren't very many monitors that don't use this.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wibla posted:

I have a 1440p 27" and a 1080p 27" and I prefer reading on the 1080p monitor. I'm a little nearsighted, -2.00, but even wearing my glasses, my eyes are more comfortable with the 1080p.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a 1440p 27" and a 1080p 27" and I prefer reading on the 1080p monitor. I'm a little nearsighted, -2.00, but even wearing my glasses, my eyes are more comfortable with the 1080p.

Now set the DPI scaling thing on your 1440p screen to 120.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Truga posted:

Now set the DPI scaling thing on your 1440p screen to 120.
I was at 100%, but 125% seems reasonable. I thought Windows was terrible at DPI scaling though. :confused:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:eyepop: The Acer ultrawide is £1k in the UK. I'll probably have saved up enough by the time nvidia's Pascall comes along.

I bet the ASUS will be at least £200 over that price.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ijyt posted:

:eyepop: The Acer ultrawide is £1k in the UK. I'll probably have saved up enough by the time nvidia's Pascall comes along.

I bet the ASUS will be at least £200 over that price.

Did they just take the USD Price and slap a £ in front?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wasabi the J posted:

Zorilla posted:

Triple buffering adds a variable latency up to just short of one refresh cycle. How many frames behind that puts you depends on how your framerate and refresh rate compare.

Single buffering has the GPU drawing directly to the framebuffer that's being sent to the display. This can cause flickering and tearing when the order of things being done by the GPU doesn't line up with the scan to the screen. Old consoles did this.

Double buffering has the GPU rendering to a "back buffer" while the display is fed from the "front buffer". The buffers are flipped when the GPU is done with the frame. This prevents flicker, but still tears when the buffer is flipped mid-scan. Playing modern computer games or consoles this is generally the default "no vsync" mode.

Both of these add no significant latency, the first is drawing to the screen before the frame is even done and the second starts immediately when it is ready.

Triple buffering adds a second back buffer. The GPU alternates which one it's rendering to frame by frame and the inactive one gets flipped to the front when the display is ready. This eliminates tearing by preventing a front buffer flip in the middle of a scan, but if it happens to complete a frame *just* after the display hit another refresh that frame will be delayed for a full cycle or possibly discarded depending on the actual framerate being rendered. You get the graphical benefits of vsync with less of the latency/jitter because the game engine can keep running at whatever framerate it wants rather than caring about syncing up with the display.

Anandtech has a good explanation here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/2

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I read the OP and googled around for TN vs VA info, but I still don't know which I should really go with. I play games and just browse online, which would be better for me overall or does it not really matter at the end of the day?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

I read the OP and googled around for TN vs VA info, but I still don't know which I should really go with. I play games and just browse online, which would be better for me overall or does it not really matter at the end of the day?
TN is cheap crap that some hardcore gamers bought because they had 144Hz panels, but VA is much better image quality, and IPS/PLS are even better.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ryuga Death posted:

You want an IPS screen, they are fine for anything other than high speed FPS like CS or Quake Arena. They have the best image quality and color.

How big does it need to be, inches and resolution wise? How much budget do you have? Remember that a good screen will last years and years so it's not something you want to skimp on.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You want an IPS screen, they are fine for anything other than high speed FPS like CS or Quake Arena. They have the best image quality and color.

How big does it need to be, inches and resolution wise? How much budget do you have? Remember that a good screen will last years and years so it's not something you want to skimp on.

27 inches and 1080p. I don't really have a budget. I'm already on a 27in 1080p and just want another one to do dual monitors. I don't need or have the horsepower to do 1440p. Do I really need an IPS screen if all I'm planning to do is play games and browse?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You want an IPS screen, they are fine for anything other than high speed FPS like CS or Quake Arena.

VA and IPS are perfectly fine for high speed FPS.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
You can get cheap or you can get good. TN is cheap but not good.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is the one I'm going to get if I can't decide because it seems fine and it's a VA panel. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITORMDC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1XBP962TML3AH

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Captain Yossarian posted:

You can get cheap or you can get good. TN is cheap but not good.

If you are willing, the off grade Qnix was both cheap and good for a lot of us.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

IPS screens, provided you get a decent one, are fine for super fast FPS games. I've played Quake Live on an IPS and come in 1st quite a few times.

IPS screens do however have the worst black levels/back light bleed, so if black blacks are important to you, check out VA panels.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ryuga Death posted:

This is the one I'm going to get if I can't decide because it seems fine and it's a VA panel. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITORMDC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1XBP962TML3AH

That one looks good, here is a review of it: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2760hs.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004
Anyone got any opinions on this monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

I've been using a 60hz 4k monitor for my main stuff but it has quite noticeable ghosting which is really annoying in twitch games (mainly CS:GO). Basically I just want a 120hz + monitor with fresync and at least QHD. Anyone got any better suggestions?