Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stitch be back in to work the UFC?
This poll is closed.
Yes 5 8.93%
No 19 33.93%
If he does I hope he brings my dad back from buying cigarettes 32 57.14%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Joey McChrist posted:

"at least he's not a bathtub"

Lol

Just caught up, good fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
TJ Dillashaw is going to run out of opponents quicker than Mighty Mouse. Especially if they never get Faber to fight him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bubba Smith posted:

TJ Dillashaw is going to run out of opponents quicker than Mighty Mouse. Especially if they never get Faber to fight him.

Assuncao, Cisco Rivera. Maybe Cruz.

Caraway :shrek:

e. Almeida, Sterling.

There are 4-5 challengers there.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Aljamain Sterling probs, he's 11-0, 3-0 in the UFC with a finish over Mizugaki

Not much else out there

Maybe Frankie can drop to 135

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
My advice for Barao would be don't engage first, wait for him to engage and hit him on the counter. He only hits you after he makes you miss by feinting. Don't bite on feints. Don't try to dodge with head movement it just gives him a target when you do. When he engages block with hands high, he's only hitting you in the head and counter with leg kicks, elbows and body shots.

With the benefit of hindsight of course but ultimately TJ was stronger and faster and even the best advice wouldn't have achieved much.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Almeida is cool but has looked extremely hittable in the few fights I've seen. I think TJ would tee off on him. Really I just hope Cruz can get healthy.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Sterling and Almeida are decent upcomers but it really is just Cruz and possibly Assuncao who could maybe challenge TJ. He's really going to need Faber to agree to the fight, Frankie to drop down, or Mighty Mouse to move up if he wants to sell anybody on a match in a year. I like Francisco Rivera after his last couple of fights but he's not much better than "Chris Cariaso in the main event?" level.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Speaking of 135 what happened to Michael McDonald? Is he still injured? Did he go away to Jesus camp? Did he lose his virginity and give up fighting?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

He realized he was only in middle school and if he could take time away from fighting to just train and pray he could become the true Warrior God intended instead of lose to Barao and Faber real bad, iirc

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

MysteryNad posted:

Speaking of 135 what happened to Michael McDonald? Is he still injured? Did he go away to Jesus camp? Did he lose his virginity and give up fighting?

I think he just started training again after being injured

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dillashaw has Barao's number so badly that he probably has his next 10 cell phone's numbers too.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Joey McChrist posted:

"at least he's not a bathtub"

"If you can land a big shot, you'll win. The guy's got a ...porcelain jaw"

*retires on stool*

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Hunt is anything but undersized and he was a legit contender.

"legit contender" in the heavyweight division means gently caress all

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

-Atom- posted:

"legit contender" in the heavyweight division means gently caress all

mark hunt is a good fighter by any metric and the people who have beaten him are good fighters by any metric. atom, your opinion of heavyweight being mostly bad might be a defensible one, but using it in this context makes you look like a penis. again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

mark hunt is a good fighter by any metric and the people who have beaten him are good fighters by any metric. atom, your opinion of heavyweight being mostly bad might be a defensible one, but using it in this context makes you look like a penis. again.

Except Sean McCorkle, in all fairness. That was a bad loss for anyone in the top echelons of a UFC division to have, but also the catalyst for him to right his ship so it's good it happened.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

fatherdog posted:

Did they say that as a fact or were they speculating, because I find it curious that nowhere else have I seen this even mentioned before now

Yeah I was about to say, I've never heard this before. On the other hand, Jeff Sherwood has a personal relationship with Faber/Alpha Male so he might've had an inside track there.

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't think that's crazy at all to say. TJ kept a slower pace than the first fight, didn't cut as many angles, was slightly too confident, got tagged more, and STILL finished Barao quicker.

TJ fought an excellent fight but I do hope he's a little less "loose" and more business against whoever he fights next.

Yeah throughout the first 2 rounds I was like "loving poo poo man stop standing in front of him" but by like minute 6 of the fight Barao was already sucking wind and TJ was slipping pretty much everything in the pocket except for that nice combo Barao landed at the end of the 1st.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Ouch.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Poor Gomi. :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i remember some guy submitting some other guy with a move remarkably similar to that and when joe did it to gomi i actually yelled out and was super impressed when gomi fought on. guess my exclamation was on point.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Captain Log posted:

Good God Tim has just loving given up on it all. I can't think of a former champ that looks that bad.

Tanner.

Speaking of former champions who look bad here's Ricco's last fight:
https://youtu.be/ZDGid_WcxjM?t=798

Droopy Goines fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 26, 2015

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

i remember some guy submitting some other guy with a move remarkably similar to that and when joe did it to gomi i actually yelled out and was super impressed when gomi fought on. guess my exclamation was on point.

Brock Jardine vs Kenny Robertson?

http://i.imgflip.com/o9rs.gif
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/24/4023928/ufc-157-judo-chop-kenny-robertsons-vs-brock-jardine-kneebar-submission-amar-suloev-stretch

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
End of Dillashaw vs Barao

http://streamable.com/4fib

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Bubba Smith posted:

He's only really beaten one of the other top five guys, so it'd probably be best to hold off on talking about TJ clearing out the division for a while.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Just watched the main event. Goddamn, does Dillashaw own.

Also, someone explain the thread title to me please.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

[in yuji shimada voice] joe lauzon no groin

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Food Court Druid posted:

He's only really beaten one of the other top five guys, so it'd probably be best to hold off on talking about TJ clearing out the division for a while.

He's only beaten one of the other top five guys, but of the remaining four one won't fight him and one is slowly turning into dust from the knees down. Of the other two, one hasn't fought in a year and the other hasn't fought in two years, and outside of the top 5 bantamweight drops off fast.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Droopy Goines posted:

Tanner.

Speaking of former champions who look bad here's Ricco's last fight:
https://youtu.be/ZDGid_WcxjM?t=798

Bosnia fight championship

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
gain villante must be having the worst morning ever cuz he kinda gave lawlor that last night

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

MacDougall posted:

My advice for Barao would be don't engage first, wait for him to engage and hit him on the counter. He only hits you after he makes you miss by feinting. Don't bite on feints. Don't try to dodge with head movement it just gives him a target when you do. When he engages block with hands high, he's only hitting you in the head and counter with leg kicks, elbows and body shots.

With the benefit of hindsight of course but ultimately TJ was stronger and faster and even the best advice wouldn't have achieved much.

I dunno.. Baraos whole style is already waiting for the other guy to throw a punch and then planting his feet and opening up with huge counters. Its hard to just say "dont bite on feints" because to be a good counter puncher you have to be reacting to that stuff, thats why feinting is a good way to beat a one dimensional counter puncher. There were times when Barao didnt bite on feints and then TJ hit him with a bunch of lead flick jabs in the face. And when Barao did counter punch, TJ usually wasnt there because he was making angles every time he exited the gap and Baraos footwork is truly awful for a high level guy

I agree he probably shouldve countered with more leg kicks, hes shown great leg kicks against other guys but never put them to good use against TJ, maybe scared of getting countered or taken down but despite everything his takedown defense was always still there

I think what was crazy was that he looked like he was fighting in slow motion like 2 minutes into the fight, his days at BW might be over, he might have to fight guys his own size now

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
my advice for barao would be don't ever fight tj dillashaw again

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Barao should have been throwing way more round kicks, low and high, from both directions. He was actually having a little bit of success in the first round with the ones he fired. Not sure where he'd go from there, but sweeping attacks are a basic counter to big lateral movement. Barao was ridiculously under prepared and his camp probably told him "just go out and be yourself and you'll be a winner!"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just catching up on fights now "Dominique Steele looks very strong" seconds before Cummings punches him across the Octagon

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Barao should have been throwing way more round kicks, low and high, from both directions. He was actually having a little bit of success in the first round with the ones he fired. Not sure where he'd go from there, but sweeping attacks are a basic counter to big lateral movement. Barao was ridiculously under prepared and his camp probably told him "just go out and be yourself and you'll be a winner!"

I feel like Barao is one of those guys that will fight the same way no matter what happened in training camp or what the gameplan was. His corner was pleading with him after every round of the first fight to go for takedowns and he didn't attempt one. Maybe that was because he was concussed or maybe because he can't adapt at all.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

manyak posted:

I think what was crazy was that he looked like he was fighting in slow motion like 2 minutes into the fight, his days at BW might be over, he might have to fight guys his own size now

i hope he moves up. I know he totally sucks but I sort of think hes good and id like to see him fight some guys at featherweight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I feel like Barao is one of those guys that will fight the same way no matter what happened in training camp or what the gameplan was. His corner was pleading with him after every round of the first fight to go for takedowns and he didn't attempt one. Maybe that was because he was concussed or maybe because he can't adapt at all.

Apt.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

i hope he moves up. I know he totally sucks but I sort of think hes good and id like to see him fight some guys at featherweight

Agreed

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

my advice for barao would be don't ever fight tj dillashaw again

my advice to Barao is first to become a plumber's apprentice

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He should move up and fight chad mendes or somethin

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Barao would have an uphill battle against someone who fights like TJ no matter what gameplan he came in with given his skillset, but probably the best possible one would have been to throw a really large volume of jabs and when TJ avoids them with head movement fire off leg and body kicks. Head movement and parrying would usually keep him in one place long enough to get a solid kick off and if he committed to it the damage to the legs and body could sap TJ's ability to move and take angles which is the thing Barao really can't deal with.

Of course Barao basically came out doing the opposite of this, which as I said earlier is probably because he and his camp wholesale bought into the Just Got Caught narrative and assumed that as long as he didn't get clocked in the first round again he could just fight like normal and treat TJ like he's treated every other guy, which you would think the Gagnon match would have already demonstrated was Not A Good Idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I dunno if anyone else noticed but about midway through the first barao took a hard body shot (i don't remember if it was a kick or knee or what) and seemed to pretty much instantly gas

• Locked thread