Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

sout posted:

BOUNCE PAD

bounce pad :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
:psypop:

They're just murdering this game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
WHY WOULD PAUSING INCREASE YOUR HEIGHT

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

Daytime segments of Unleashed, Colors, Generations, and both episodes of Sonic 4 were all good enough for Sonic to still exist. They were okay. They were "Thor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe" tier. Not great, but not awful either. Classic platform guys across the board don't seem to be doing well. I can't remember the last huge Mario game to get a lot of attention. Mega Man is dead. Sonic has been in dire straits for years. It's bad.

You have god awful taste.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wow, you can use the pause function to accumulate momentum with a character. I don't even know how that's possible.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope you enjoy sonic boom

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

pentyne posted:

Wow, you can use the pause function to accumulate momentum with a character. I don't even know how that's possible.

It's not too surprising since there are a few games that you can save/load buffer for momentum. With only one QA tester I can see something weird like that getting through testing. :v:

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.

Rocketlex posted:

bounce pad :geno:

The end of SGDQ is just a knuckles cosplayer sitting in a dark dust covered room, staring at a wall, whispering to himself "bounce pad" as tears slowly roll down his face

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Did they just try and do a Fantasy Island reference in Sonic Boom?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

We're time traveling more btw

You can really tell.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Death Dealer posted:

It's not too surprising since there are a few games that you can save/load buffer for momentum. With only one QA tester I can see something weird like that getting through testing. :v:

I've heard they actually knew about the Knuckles infini-jump glitch prior to release, but :effort:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Death Dealer posted:

According to a game grumps episode, they got an email from someone who worked on the QA and they said all of those glitches were registered and submitted to the developer team and nothing came from it. The entire game production was run by people who did not give a gently caress whatsoever and were set on shipping the game for the holiday season no matter what. Plus there was the tie to the cartoon series so that was a hard deadline they had to meet.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
Weren't some of the game devs who worked on Sonic Boom former Naughty Dog devs?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
This is what speed looks like

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
The audience laughing at the game's natural dialogue :laffo:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

homphgomph posted:

Yes.

And the more I see of this game, the more I realize the term "former Naughty Dog devs" might have different connotations than I thought it did.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

homphgomph posted:

quote:

Los Angeles based game studio Big Red Button developed the game under supervision by Sonic Team[18] and long-time Sonic game designer Takashi Iizuka.[19] The game was built on CryEngine and is centered on "combat and exploration".[18] Sega outsourced the game to Western developers in order to increase the game's appeal in Western markets, culminating in a separate westernized Sonic franchise.[19] The video game concept came after the television series plan. Big Red Button was chosen due to the studio's adventure game portfolio and leader, Bob Rafei of the Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted, and Jak and Daxter series.[19] The game remains a separate continuity to the main series, and was originally not intended to be released in Japan.[20] However, it was later revealed that the games would be released in Japan, under the name Sonic Toon (ソニックトゥーン Sonikku Tūn?).[21]

A Sonic game based on "combat and exploration".

loving hell.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

UV_Catastrophe posted:

:psypop:

They're just murdering this game

Actually the game is murdering itself

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Sorry. I didn't mean that. The voice is kind of grating for my tastes, and I'm more used to the tv show version from the nineties. I didn't mean to be rude. Sorry.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
Alright Sonic Boom is poo poo but I am 1000% behind a snake in a loving mecha suit

sout
Apr 24, 2014

pentyne posted:

A Sonic game based on "combat and exploration".

loving hell.

Yeahhh, with that goofy scarf it kinda seems like they were trying to make Nathan Drake the Hedgehog

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Rocketlex posted:

Yes, in the proud tradition of Sonic Heroes.

Everyone thinks this is bad, but they haven't heard Tails sounding like a six-year-old with a heavy cold, saying "Look at all those Eggman's robots!" every time some enemies appear.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

bobjr posted:

Did they just try and do a Fantasy Island reference in Sonic Boom?

You know, what the kids are into!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

That loving Sned posted:

Everyone thinks this is bad, but they haven't heard Tails sounding like a six-year-old with a heavy cold, saying "Look at all those Eggman's robots!" every time some enemies appear.

that raspy "whee" every time you fly is my favourite

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Parasara posted:

Alright Sonic Boom is poo poo but I am 1000% behind a snake in a loving mecha suit

When do we get Sonic vs. Earthworm Jim?

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Loving the Final Boss design. Snakes are great.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Got em :suicide:

What a lovely game.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

sout posted:

that raspy "whee" every time you fly is my favourite

GET. ROUGH.

Man, Heroes had to be played on mute.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They skipped it but Shadow shows up in the ending out of a time portal and looks the group over. Says something along the lines of "oh I guess I wasn't needed" then leaves.

This is one of two scenes that show shadow in the entire series of events that go down- and around the launch of the game they showed Shadow as a big marketing point. The reason he was put in the ending and one scene of him watching in a jungle or some poo poo was solely so they could include it on the box that shadow was in hoping to draw his fans in. Yes that's a thing.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
The cartoon of Sonic Boom is pretty fun, so at least not literally everything related to this game is awful.

This game is pretty awful though.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kind of disappointed averagetrey isn't running SMS this summer. I loved his run in AGDQ earlier this year. :(

Still though, I completely forgot about SGDQ until I checked Twitch and wondered why the hell Sonic Boom was being viewed so immensely. Good luck to the runners and goodbye to my sleep schedule.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

GET. ROUGH.

Man, Heroes had to be played on mute.

I always heard poo poo ROCK

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Where are they, a dev room?

Also, yes, this is funny.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'd rather flex my muscles

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How do you make a game like that and only have 1 QA

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'd rather flex my muscles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glTnjGmjTcQ

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, was hoping they wouldn't use the crappy Tinybuilder ads again.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 26, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm not sure if you can say this is more broken than 06, but it gives it a run for its money.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

This commercial is 100000% louder than it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr E posted:

How do you make a game like that and only have 1 QA
They didn't.

Whether the devs fixed anything they found in the mad deadline rush, however...

• Locked thread