Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Rather than criticising things as plot holes or mistakes I criticise them for being annoying and contrived, and the same material that I could see in a million direct to video thrillers inspired by the original Alien. Even then I wouldn't bother criticising except for the fact that both the creators and the fans seem to maintain that there was some clever statement on accepting death in there, and while I recognise the attempt I disagree that it was clever, admirable, or even decently entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Alien ripoffs are good. Watch Contamination or something ya big baby.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Tujague, gasping out before another swirly posted:

Prometheus is just one of those movies that causes tragically un-self-aware pseudointellectual pieces of human garbage to identify themselves at the top of their lungs. It does it better than, say, Inception, that old Zippy the Pinhead Clown comic strip or Frank Zappa music. There's just something about it that stimulates fat dopes who have been surfing an ego wave since they banged out a good score on a standardized test in middle school. I couldn't make the point any more clear than this thread already is. Never fails.

You need to cool off jabroni

You don't want your processors overheating (I'm using nerd-speak, we'll see if it gets through)

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah, why don't you dramatically leave the thread again, and then return all full of bluster like my fat-rear end little cousin after we all make fun of him at family gatherings and he needs to go cry in the bathroom. I'm sure that will make it seem more like I'm the one who *really* got picked on the entire time he was a schoolboy.

Really selling it. No, really.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tujague posted:

Prometheus is just one of those movies that causes tragically un-self-aware pseudointellectual pieces of human garbage to identify themselves at the top of their lungs. It does it better than, say, Inception, that old Zippy the Pinhead Clown comic strip or Frank Zappa music. There's just something about it that stimulates fat dopes who have been surfing an ego wave since they banged out a good score on a standardized test in middle school. I couldn't make the point any more clear than this thread already is. Never fails.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
Finally got around to seeing this movie, and a lot of it doesn't make sense. For instance, in the first scene (the prologue), we see the Muscular Albino Alien dissolve himself into a waterfall; clearly this is the aliens' seeding of the infant Earth. But how are we supposed to believe that this alien is that exact same one that comes out of Dr. Shaw's tummy millions of years later? They don't look anything alike, and I'm not sure how such a thing is even possible. Did she drink some water out of that waterfall before leaving Earth?

prostidude
Jul 23, 2015

Spakstik posted:

in the movie prometheus why didn't they just make a good movie instead of making prometheus

this guy should be president

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Tujague posted:

Yeah, why don't you dramatically leave the thread again, and then return all full of bluster like my fat-rear end little cousin after we all make fun of him at family gatherings and he needs to go cry in the bathroom. I'm sure that will make it seem more like I'm the one who *really* got picked on the entire time he was a schoolboy.

Wow man, I don't know if either side needs to get emotional and personal about things. It's just fun to argue on the internet, especially if it's with people who have strong opinions about and a shared interest in film.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The female planes are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female plane would look like. The idea of introducing gendered identities to normally non-gendered objects so often treats the familiar as inherently masculine. Female planes are painted hot pink and granted the enlarged, fluttery eyelashes so often used to distinguish women from men in lazily drawn cartoons. "Look at that propellor," declares Dusty and he gets a look at one of the ladyplanes' rear end. In one scene, the film even eroticises the tilting of wingflaps for a disturbingly long time. You could argue that it is a joke. I would argue that it enforces the idea of objectifying women to all the five-year-old boys in the audience by applying it to literal objects who have gender but no sex. Gotta start them off early, after all.
-Cinema Discusso

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Former Human posted:

So you know two people who are smart but impractical? Those types probably wouldn't be selected for a secret interstellar mission.

Unless the mission is put together by a superstitious trillionaire?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Pulp Can Move posted:

Finally got around to seeing this movie, and a lot of it doesn't make sense. For instance, in the first scene (the prologue), we see the Muscular Albino Alien dissolve himself into a waterfall; clearly this is the aliens' seeding of the infant Earth. But how are we supposed to believe that this alien is that exact same one that comes out of Dr. Shaw's tummy millions of years later? They don't look anything alike, and I'm not sure how such a thing is even possible. Did she drink some water out of that waterfall before leaving Earth?

No, she got knocked up by Holloway, who drank a pure black goo drop (no albino, no waterfall) mixed with champagne and that drop granted her deepest wish, just not in the way she wanted.

So you see, Prometheus is a movie about Life (and also death-loving :rock:)

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
How could Captain Janek possibly think that the Prometheus could survive ramming into the alien ship? And not only that, but still be in good enough shape to get back to Earth?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Black Bones posted:

No, she got knocked up by Holloway, who drank a pure black goo drop (no albino, no waterfall) mixed with champagne and that drop granted her deepest wish, just not in the way she wanted.

So you see, Prometheus is a movie about Life (and also death-loving :rock:)

Shove a wine bottle up your rear end and thrust until you can no longer walk. Then tell the police you were raped. Duh. Look, I don't know why I have to repeat myself. This should be your go-to solution. Consider all other advice to be a sound Plan B. Why? Because the cops never ignore rape victims, and accused rapists are always, always convicted on the strength of the victim's testimony.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Former Human posted:

Perfect example right here of all the mental gymnastics and explanations that people have to make up themselves to fill in plot holes and contradictions and help themselves believe the movie was actually more interesting (less stupid) than it is.

Stop spending so much energy putting lipstick on a pig. Movie is bad. Deal with it.

So fill the entire ship with androids then.

Tujague posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shove a wine bottle up your rear end and thrust until you can no longer walk. Then tell the police you were raped. Duh. Look, I don't know why I have to repeat myself. This should be your go-to solution. Consider all other advice to be a sound Plan B. Why? Because the cops never ignore rape victims, and accused rapists are always, always convicted on the strength of the victim's testimony.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Tujague posted:

:rolleye: Be nice to your family, nerd. This is why you get beat up so much, it's tough love to teach you to be less terrible

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I think the fem/gamer thread got moved to DnD, bro

Pulp Can Move posted:

How could Captain Janek possibly think that the Prometheus could survive ramming into the alien ship? And not only that, but still be in good enough shape to get back to Earth?

Well, he is Polish :rimshot:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm really confused about why he died after smoking weed in this slasher movie.

I think Damian Lindeloff is hiding secret information from me, that would explain this complex plot.

Please reiterate your theory re: the subtext when the geologist character becomes a zombie and he's crouching on the ground and it has significance... because rocks.

Fascinating :allears:

second-hand smegma posted:

Unless the mission is put together by a superstitious trillionaire?

A superstitious trillionaire who deliberately hired idiots so his expensive, multi-year mission would have a 99% chance of failure?

I wonder how he made his trillions. Not by having good judgment, apparently. Maybe he won the space lottery?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Tujague posted:

It's okay if people like Prometheus. Really, it is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Former Human posted:

I wonder how he made his trillions. Not by having good judgment, apparently. Maybe he won the space lottery?

Well, usually people make money by having money already.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Former Human posted:

Please reiterate your theory re: the subtext when the geologist character becomes a zombie and he's crouching on the ground and it has significance... because rocks.

Fascinating :allears:

A superstitious trillionaire who deliberately hired idiots so his expensive, multi-year mission would have a 99% chance of failure?

He used his boot straps: invented more stable robots than Tyrell's "abominations" (his words). Weyland's are prob street legal on Earth too, but that could be due to better connections.

Well I gotta go to bed and dream about Noomi, g'night GBS see you in the morning *dramatically leaves thread crying*

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
noomi rapeface

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Black Bones posted:

Well I gotta go to bed and dream about Noomi, g'night GBS see you in the morning *dramatically leaves thread crying*

I had this dream where Noomi put her thin and beautiful arm around mine and called me her favorite working joe, gazing longingly at me as she held me tighter and tighter to the point I thought I would break, that perfect angelic face, those thin lips, her silvery skin glistening in the cave light as she reached into my shirt, i could feel her pulsing all around me, feel the hot liquid warmth of my bone-marrow and plasma seeping out of the compound fracture in my wrist, and finally she put her mouth to my own and filled my throat with every last inch of her tentacle. Afterwards I asked if she wanted to stay the night and she just sighed in that cute way she does and curled up inside my trachea. 9 hours later we're expecting our first trilobite!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Tujague posted:

Nothing says you're above the middlebrow hoi paloi like a MLP avatar you jackass.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Nothing says you're above the middlebrow hoi paloi like a MLP avatar you jackass.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469348&userid=116430

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

the more you guys hate this movie the more i like it

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

the more you guys hate this movie the more i like it

::shakes fist @ internet::

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

Maldoror posted:

experts are often overconfident and do dumb things because they think hey i'm an expert, this is more true if the expert has never had a serious accident

for example steve irwin

the biologist also thought the geologist was cool and wanted to impress him, he knew the geologist thought he was lame and he wanted to prove his coolness

Next time I watch this movie which I watch again all the time because it is the greatest movie ever made I am going to pretend the biologist is Steve Irwin and I imagine it will make it even greater.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Pitdragon posted:

They should have kept the original CGI psuedo-alien monster that this guy turns into, not sure why they decided to turn him into a hills have eyes mutant

Prometheus was pretty stupid btw, I don't understand the point in stressing that the characters are all highly educated professionals if they are just going to all act like idiots without any kind of training

The amount of professionals that act like idiots far out-weight those that dont, at least those that i have worked with.

And i like this movie.

Admittedly i saw it once at the cinema, and that was when it came out. I'm sure ive got he dvd around here somewhere.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

is there a director's cut of this? kingdom of heaven's director's cut made it a decent movie. it also made it 3+ hours...

ridley scott should just make direct to video movies so he can have the final vision of his films be over 3 discs, uncut, and intact

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
The movie itself was pretty well shot and looked good. The thing that got me the most was how little of a poo poo everyone seemed to give. Oh here we are, a new planet! An alien spaceship! A woman running around the spaceship covered in blood! Everyone looked bored as gently caress.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Cum on my rear end

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

henpod posted:

The movie itself was pretty well shot and looked good. The thing that got me the most was how little of a poo poo everyone seemed to give. Oh here we are, a new planet! An alien spaceship!

"So we have two guys lost in a storm on an alien spaceship after discovering we are not alone in the universe, so that's why I'm sitting here alone and bored at mission control. I think everyone else is off loving. Wanna gently caress?"

MEANWHILE

"I was scared so shitless I forgot I was the maps guy, let me think a hissing venom-spitting looks friendly and in need of a pet. Oh and it's alien life."

Honestly if that scenario happened in a sci-fi comedy, it'd still be less outlandish.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
its ok to like bad films

but pretending bad films are good, is bad

dont be bad, be good. and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
there is a half-hour long youtube movie where some people talk about plot holes and explanations and they do a pretty good job.

prometheus was okay. 3rd best in aliens franchise. maybe 4th best because the prison one was okay too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpEx7pdp2-Q

• Locked thread