Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

pookel posted:

I always find it strange when religious people advocate for denying gay rights on the basis that "it's a choice." OK, so what if it were? Religion is a choice too!

It must come from the same place as the idea that "oh well yes sexuality is a choice, I make the right and proper and godly choice". Religion is a choice and the Christians are making the one true right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I think it's mainly a response to people comparing gay rights to race/gender related civil rights. It's like, "oh yeah, well you can just turn off being gay if you want and then I'll stop opressing you, whereas this black guy (who I'm totally just concern trolling for) can't help being black"

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Has anyone ever explicitly continued that logic out to "but if they were choosing to be black, then gently caress 'em"?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Has anyone ever explicitly continued that logic out to "but if they were choosing to be black, then gently caress 'em"?

Well, with transethnicity emerging, that might eventually be a response.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Morter posted:

Well, with transethnicity emerging, that might eventually be a response.

I'm pretty sure only the strangest or most maladjusted people ever actually subscribe to this.
If someone is mixed race, and looks more 'white' but identifies more with 'black' culture, that's fine and I'm not seeing the problem. But nobody is actually encouraged to take "I'm really Japanese on the inside" seriously.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

jivjov posted:

People love to post all these motivational speakers who were gay but got "turned straight by the power of Christ" or whatever. I'm just like 'No, you got bullied into silence or are actively living a lie or weren't gay to begin with."

http://youtu.be/lFo8NGO4nTA

Cythereal posted:

Because most of these churches do have a worldwide hierarchy and organization, mainly important for funding purposes. A lot of missionary work and church building in Africa, Asia, and South America is funded by wealthy church-goers and donors in North America and Europe. The fact that these conservative branches tend to be the ones with actually growing numbers makes them very politically powerful within the church structure, but the liberal branches tend to have all the money.

Also, it's not just resistance to homosexuality that's causing declining church numbers in North America and Europe. It's general First World church problems, which certainly include resistance to homosexuality but also involve the rise of open atheism, the media almost always coloring all Christianity as hyperconservative fundies, and so on and so forth.

Which makes me wonder: If THE GAYS and fag enablers like myself were able to organize it, is there anything stopping us from joining the church in droves to shift the balance back to change that policy?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Extensive Vamping posted:

http://youtu.be/lFo8NGO4nTA

Which makes me wonder: If THE GAYS and fag enablers like myself were able to organize it, is there anything stopping us from joining the church in droves to shift the balance back to change that policy?

It would depend on the church, really. Some are much more democratic than others.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Given that the typical response to all these blacks getting killed and harassed by police over the years is that they weren't trying their hardest to be non-threatening and inoffensive as possible [read: have black skin] this is actually the rule of the land.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

ToxicFrog posted:

Aren't the republicans in control of both houses right now? Does this have any hope of passing?

This is from a while back, but I totally read this as "republicans in control of bath houses."

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Dark One posted:

This is from a while back, but I totally read this as "republicans in control of bath houses."

That would make Freep's screeches of "THAT drat BATHHOUSE BARRY IS AT IT AGAIN" even more amusing than they already are.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nope. The liberal branches of the church would probably welcome it. The biggest problem the liberal North American branches of most Christian denominations face is declining numbers - you could probably write a book about why the liberal branches are declining and the conservative branches are growing - and they'd probably be enthusiastic about reversing that trend.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

That actually came up in either an elders or a council meeting of my church. Someone suggested that if we became an open and affirming church, that there would be nothing stopping LGBTQ people from joining in droves. My comment was "Oh no, what would we do? We can't possibly have more members" :jerkbag:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

That actually came up in either an elders or a council meeting of my church. Someone suggested that if we became an open and affirming church, that there would be nothing stopping LGBTQ people from joining in droves. My comment was "Oh no, what would we do? We can't possibly have more members" :jerkbag:

"Yeah but then you get to brag that you were members of the church before it got cool"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pookel posted:

I always find it strange when religious people advocate for denying gay rights on the basis that "it's a choice." OK, so what if it were? Religion is a choice too!

Yes, and like sexual orientation, it's a choice with only one objectively correct answer1. Furthermore, everyone really knows what the correct answer is; people who choose otherwise are doing so out of some misguided desire to rebel against God, not because it's what they actually want.

No poo poo, I've seen this in the wild2 as an explanation not only for why people are gay but also for why they're athiests (or muslims, or wiccans, or anything except the speaker's own special-snowflake version of christianity).

1 "heterosexuality" and "whatever specific sect of christianity the speaker belongs to" respectively.
2 Which is to say, on the internet, but from people who appeared to be completely serious.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

bewilderment posted:

I'm pretty sure only the strangest or most maladjusted people ever actually subscribe to this.
If someone is mixed race, and looks more 'white' but identifies more with 'black' culture, that's fine and I'm not seeing the problem. But nobody is actually encouraged to take "I'm really Japanese on the inside" seriously.

I know a guy who legit believes that mixed and light skin blacks "choose" to identify as black to get the free government goodies. He had never heard of the old one drop rule of decades past where the government classified a mixed person as black fir the purpose of segregation. He could not understand how the gov forced mixed people to join the black community or how that would carry over into modern day culture.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

So this is extremely hosed up:

quote:

(CNN)An Orthodox Jew who stabbed marchers at a Jerusalem gay pride parade 10 years ago launched another knife attack at the same type of parade in the same city Thursday, stabbing and wounding six people who were on the streets for the event, police said.

Video aired on Israel's Channel 10 shows what appears to be part of the attack at Thursday's gay pride parade in Jerusalem: a man making quick slashing motions at people on a Jerusalem street, including one holding a rainbow flag, while others try to subdue him.

Of the six people stabbed Thursday, two were injured seriously, Israeli police spokeswoman Luba Samri said.

Police arrested Yishai Shlissel in connection with the attack, Samri said.

Israeli police say Shlissel, an Orthodox Jew, was released from prison three weeks ago after serving a 10-year prison sentence for stabbing and wounding three marchers at a Jerusalem gay pride parade in 2005.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Thursday that the government would "pursue justice for those responsible" for the latest attack.

"In the state of Israel, the freedom of choice of an individual is one of the most basic values," Netanyahu said. "We must ensure that in Israel every man and woman lives confidently in any way they (choose).

"This is how we operate and this is how we will continue to operate. I wish a speedy recovery to the injured."

In the Channel 10 video, the apparent assailant is shown on the ground, with two men, including someone who appears to be a police officer, holding him still.

Channel 10 also showed video of several wounded people, including a woman -- her shirt bloody -- who was put onto a stretcher and into an ambulance. Another woman was shown bleeding from her arm as someone applied pressure to the wound.

Hopefully they can put him away forever this time cause he's clearly going to kill someone eventually if given the opportunity.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Pale Horse posted:

So this is extremely hosed up:

Hopefully they can put him away forever this time cause he's clearly going to kill someone eventually if given the opportunity.

Doing the very same poo poo again after being out of jail for three weeks must be enough reason to give him a much longer sentence. At least I hope so.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

Doing the very same poo poo again after being out of jail for three weeks must be enough reason to give him a much longer sentence. At least I hope so.
Or make one wonder what affect if any prison actually has on violent criminals.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Or religious zealots

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Or make one wonder what affect if any prison actually has on violent criminals.

Stops them from being violent against members of the public. If they clearly can't do that and have learned nothing then they get taken away from the public again.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Dahn posted:

I'm sure this study has been posted before.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8772014

It helps explain some of the irrational homophobic people out there.

Maybe homophobia should be in the DSM.

The problem with this study is that disgust and anger can also cause arousal.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.newnownext.com/gay-man-pulled-from-home-beaten-by-nypd-officers-yelling-human being-in-horrifying-video/07/2015/

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sickening. I hope the cops get thrown in jail and the city ends up paying some ridiculous sum of money to the victim. :barf:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Stops them from being violent against members of the public. If they clearly can't do that and have learned nothing then they get taken away from the public again.
It's that "learning something" part that incidents like this should lead us to critically examine rather than just taking as a given.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Sickening. I hope the cops get thrown in jail and the city ends up paying some ridiculous sum of money to the victim. :barf:

Neither one is going to happen. The media machine will promptly neuter and smother this just like everything short of cops napalming inner-city neighborhoods with a sworn statement of intent.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

Neither one is going to happen. The media machine will promptly neuter and smother this just like everything short of cops napalming inner-city neighborhoods with a sworn statement of intent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE#1985_bombing

about that...

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

:wtc: posted:

In 1981, MOVE relocated to a row house at 6221 Osage Avenue in the Cobbs Creek area of West Philadelphia. After the move, neighbors complained for years that MOVE members were broadcasting political messages by bullhorn at all hours and also about the health hazards created from piles of compost. On May 13, 1985, after the complaints as well as indictments of numerous[quantify] MOVE members for crimes including parole violations, contempt of court, illegal possession of firearms, and making terrorist threats,[1] both mayor W. Wilson Goode and Philadelphia Police Department Commissioner Gregor Sambor had begun characterizing MOVE as a terrorist organization.[12] The police, along with city manager and retired United States Army General Leo Brooks, arrived in force with arrest warrants and attempted to clear the building and arrest the indicted MOVE members.[12] This led to an armed standoff with police,[13] who lobbed tear gas canisters at the building. MOVE members fired at the police, who returned fire with automatic weapons.[14] Philadelphia Police Department Commissioner Sambor then ordered that the compound be bombed.[14] From a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter, Philadelphia Police Department Lt. Frank Powell proceeded to drop two one-pound bombs (which the police referred to as "entry devices"[12]) made of FBI-supplied water gel explosive, a dynamite substitute, targeting a fortified, bunker-like cubicle on the roof of the house.[1]

The resulting explosions ignited a fire that eventually destroyed approximately 65 nearby houses. The firefighters, who had earlier deluge-hosed the MOVE members in a failed attempt to evict them from the building, stood by as the fire caused by the bomb engulfed the first house and spread to others, having been given orders to let the fire burn. Officials feared that MOVE would shoot at the firefighters.[6][14][1][15] Eleven people (John Africa, five other adults and five children aged 7 to 13) died in the resulting fire and more than 250 people were left homeless.[16] Ramona Africa, one of the two survivors, stated that police fired at those trying to escape the burning house, while the police stated that MOVE members had been firing at police.[17]

:dogbutton:

We have to destroy the neighborhood to save the neighborhood!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I was almost moved to tears of fury by that staten island incident. Holy poo poo. :mad:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Yeah but this isn't some violent thug* getting arrested. The majority of people would consider him to be an average, non-threatening, and relatable guy.

*you know the kind

^^^^^ I honestly couldn't watch the video.

Edit: Look on the bright side, it could have gone a lot worse for him if he were a black teenager.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

GOProud is (was) an organization of white gay men who wanted the Republican party to focus on the economy (read that as hating blacks, it makes more sense).

Well, as a funny story, the GOP would never engage them publicly. Nor even privately, as we recently found out, no matter how much money they could raise. The mere threat of a single phonecall from Tony Perkins kept any member of the GOP from engaging white male republicans who happen to not hate gays, but still hate blacks and mexicans and women and immigrants in general.

The co-founder of GOProud is writing a book named "I'm a racist poo poo who thought they'd let me into their club, lol"

Oh, poo poo, my bad: his book is actually named:
No Hope: Why I Left The GOP (And You Should Too)

So it does get better. There is hope. Once the money and prestige runs out, even the worst of gay people do run back to the center.

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/07/former-goproud-head-rnc-wouldnt-meet-with-me-over-fears-of-angering-hate-leader-tony-perkins/

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

That guy is going to be rich now.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

e: wrong thread

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Ellen Page is very cool and very good

http://www.shewired.com/pride/2015/08/03/ellen-page-attends-pride-flashmob-jamaica-despite-high-risk-homophobic-attacks

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

WUH OH

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/08/04/anti-gay-marriage-group-suffers-another-loss-in-bid-to-conceal-donors-to-maine-campaign/

quote:

AUGUSTA — The National Organization for Marriage has lost another round in its attempt to hide the identities of donors to a successful 2009 referendum campaign to reverse Maine’s marriage equality law.

The Maine Supreme Judicial Court on Tuesday denied NOM’s motion to block a ruling by the state’s ethics and elections commission that the organization must register as a ballot question committee and begin disclosing its donors. Last year the Maine Commission on Governmental Ethics and Election Practices imposed a $50,250 fine on NOM, the nation’s leading organization opposing gay marriage, a ruling that could affect the way nonprofit organizations attempt to influence Maine elections.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Haha, gently caress you NOM.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Yesssssssss.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A judge is demanding that Texas's AG appear in court to face contempt charges for disobeying an earlier order not to enforce the stat's SSM ban.

quote:

Attorney General Ken Paxton and a top state health official were ordered to appear before a federal judge in San Antonio next week to determine if they should be held in contempt for violating a court order prohibiting enforcement of the state’s ban on same-sex marriage.

The issue involves a Conroe man who is seeking to amend the death certificate of his male spouse, who died in January, to reflect their 2014 marriage in New Mexico. The document listed James Stone-Hoskins as single and his surviving spouse, John Allen Stone-Hoskins, as his “significant other.”

State officials declined to make the change, saying they were still reviewing last June’s U.S. Supreme Court decision that overturned all remaining state bans on gay marriage.

Hours after the widower filed suit Wednesday morning challenging the refusal, U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia issued a ruling ordering state officials to amend the death certificate.

Garcia also ordered Paxton and Kirk Cole, interim commissioner of the Department of State Health Services, into his courtroom for a Wednesday hearing on whether they should be held in contempt of court for disobeying his July order prohibiting Texas from enforcing its ban on same-sex marriage.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
I do so love seeing all these "if you can't do the time don't do the crime" conservatives sobbing about the awful gay tyranny of the courts.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Brian Brown should save some tears for when the donor list comes out and whatever is left of his lovely organization crumbles. I love the suggestion that politicians have an obligation to jump onto a sinking ship when that's the complete opposite of what they do for obvious reasons.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/07/17/wanted-true-conservative-who-will-lead-on-traditional-marriage-abortion.html

quote:

In the immediate aftermath of the court’s decision, one could be forgiven for mistaking the rainbow-emblazoned front pages and triumphant headlines of many mainstream publications as something from OUT magazine or The Advocate. Homosexuals only account for 2-3 percent of the population, yet because of a sympathetic press, they have dominated coverage of the marriage debate in a fashion unseen in modern history.

With the deck so disproportionately stacked against supporters of traditional marriage, it’s important for political leaders – particularly those running for president – to help make our voices heard.

But if social conservatives were holding their breath waiting for GOP 2016 hopefuls Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio to exhibit leadership on this important issue, they would have suffocated by now.

The two stood out from the crowd – not for what they said, but what they didn’t say.

Bush and Rubio could not be bothered to expand upon their marriage views further than to suggest they disagreed with the court’s decision, and that we should respect others and abide by the ruling.

Their plan for the future? Better judges. Not exactly what you’d call leadership on the issue.

The Washington Post called Bush and Rubio’s approach a laissez faire attitude. Laissez faire does not play well in Peoria or Pella, Iowa or Portsmouth, New Hampshire. In fact, pandering to the Washington establishment or the donor class has never played well with GOP primary voters.

When people of faith in this country believe their essential rights to speak about their Biblical views will soon be taken away, the nonchalant attitude of two leading Republican presidential contenders gives cause for serious alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I feel a little bad for Brown having to make this case using the examples of Iowa and New Hampshire, states that have had marriage equality for 5+ years and where rollback efforts failed.

• Locked thread