Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I just read an interview Ben Carson gave about evolution. It's the usual anti-evo points; conflating the origin of life and the origin of the universe with evolution, denial of transitional fossils, and apparently not understanding that scientists look at the DNA of different species to determine that they are related instead of just looking at homogenous features.

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Ben Carson, you mean?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Nosrac Neb

Amabo Kcarab

Let's see if this works.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Ben Carson, you mean?

Yes, Ben Carson

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Armyman25 posted:

I just read an interview Ben Carson gave about evolution. It's the usual anti-evo points; conflating the origin of life and the origin of the universe with evolution, denial of transitional fossils, and apparently not understanding that scientists look at the DNA of different species to determine that they are related instead of just looking at homogenous features.

And if wikipedia is to be believed, he made a statement that 'Evolutionists' would have a hard time providing a moral system of ethics because they would have a hard time finding a base to work with because... reasons.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

archangelwar posted:

And if wikipedia is to be believed, he made a statement that 'Evolutionists' would have a hard time providing a moral system of ethics because they would have a hard time finding a base to work with because... reasons.

"My system of ethics and morals would totally fall apart and I would become a serial killer/rapist if someone could prove macroevolution to me!"

-Ben Carson, more or less

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Oh and even though he has stated that one of his primary upsides is that he would apply 'science' and 'reason' to deal with problems, he is a climate change denier.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I remember hearing some criticism about the idea of "The BRIC countries" as a concept; that they really don't have much connection or similarity to one another other than their respective (at the time the term was coined) positions in the world economy re: its future.

"STEM" seems the same. Like these fields, while useful to one another, don't have much in common in terms of core concepts and priorities. Yet T, E, and M people will gladly seize the rhetorical authority generated and held by S.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrProsek posted:

"My system of ethics and morals would totally fall apart and I would become a serial killer/rapist if someone could prove macroevolution to me!"

-Ben Carson, more or less

Didn't the old guy from Duck Dynasty say pretty much the same thing?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

muscles like this? posted:

Didn't the old guy from Duck Dynasty say pretty much the same thing?

Yes.

But I have higher expectations of people running for POTUS. I have no expectations of Phil Robertson.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

"STEM" seems the same. Like these fields, while useful to one another, don't have much in common in terms of core concepts and priorities. Yet T, E, and M people will gladly seize the rhetorical authority generated and held by S.

I'd like to think that E has its own volume of rhetorical authority, though it is watered down by the public's perception of engineering and the massive amount of fuckheads in it. There are a lot of shithead engineers with political/social ideas that are incompatible with their profession's characteristics, but to discount the domain knowledge of (physical) engineering doesn't give credit where it is due etc.

Then again, Big Bang Theory is where 99% of the public gets their idea of what science and engineering are all about.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Also Mike Huckabee said if he were a teenager today he would totally pretend to be trans so he could perv on girls in the locker room.

"The only thing stopping me from being a sexual predator is I could never find a good cover story"

-Mike Huckabee, a brave pious Christian

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VideoTapir posted:

I remember hearing some criticism about the idea of "The BRIC countries" as a concept; that they really don't have much connection or similarity to one another other than their respective (at the time the term was coined) positions in the world economy re: its future.

It's kind of ironic sometimes because I've heard both "well he's an engineer so he knows literally everything don't argue" and "he's only an engineer not a scientist. He doesn't really know anything" come from the same person sometimes. It also goes into the Appeal to Authority fallacy. You can expect an engineer with a high level degree to, in fact, be an expert on at least one field. That's what that degree means. A bridge engineer knows a gently caress load about bridges. It's his job to know an absurd amount of stuff about bridges. If you have a question about bridges then he's your guy and we should respect his opinion.

But being an expert on bridges doesn't mean he's an expert on, say, what trees you should plant in Thailand to prevent erosion. A prominent environmental science from Thailand can probably tell you or at least point you in the right direction but the bridge engineer has no guarantee about knowing that attached to him. That's true of STEM in general; Bill Nye is an engineer but not a scientist but his words have weight behind them because what he says is probably very well researched and probably backed up by actual authorities on the subject.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

archangelwar posted:

Ben Carson, a while back, stated that 'for profit' insurance companies were inherently immoral. His stance has recently changed.

This is another reason Carson is popular, he was apparently somewhat liberal at one point in time but has changed his views, which allows conservatives to say "This proves we're good and correct because this smart person is on our side now."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Bill Nye is an engineer but not a scientist but his words have weight behind them because what he says is probably very well researched and probably backed up by actual authorities on the subject.

Bill Nye is even worse simply because he had that show where he was "The Science Guy" and so a lot of people take him completely at face value even when he doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about, like when he claimed that the Fukushima nuclear plants were going to destroy the sea life in the Pacific Ocean and contaminate California's beaches.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I am seeing so much rage about the Target plan to remove labels from "boy" and "girl" toy sections. Looks like the right is trying to tie this all in with "pleasing the transsexual community" which is kind of insane.

Watching folks bend over backwards to tie all events to the Bible, sexual preferences, politics and the free market is kind of amazing. It must be exhausting to be so pissed off all the time!

EDIT: A link!

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 16, 2015

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

VorpalBunny posted:

I am seeing so much rage about the Target plan to remove labels from "boy" and "girl" toy sections. Looks like the right is trying to tie this all in with "pleasing the transsexual community" which is kind of insane.

Watching folks bend over backwards to tie all events to the Bible, sexual preferences, politics and the free market is kind of amazing. It must be exhausting to be so pissed off all the time!

EDIT: A link!

Nobody tell them Wal-Mart and Toys R Us already did that poo poo. :ssh:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Party of family values and pro-life right there.

I'm going to go kick puppies until I feel better.

Or maybe I'll just visit the cute thread for a more ethical sound emotional cooling down.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Clochette posted:

Nobody tell them Wal-Mart and Toys R Us already did that poo poo. :ssh:

Yep, I've been mentioning to people we did this at TRU 20 years ago. The process was to take down the Boys sign and the Girls sign and put up an Action Figures sign and a Dolls sign.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

DrProsek posted:

Also Mike Huckabee said if he were a teenager today he would totally pretend to be trans so he could perv on girls in the locker room.

"The only thing stopping me from being a sexual predator is I could never find a good cover story"

-Mike Huckabee, a brave pious Christian

Given his worldview, it makes sense. He believes that all people are depraved, and men would automatically be perverts if not held in check by some religious force, so the government needs to enforce those religious ideas. What doesn't make sense is that the people who believe that also tend to believe that women should be kept out of religious or government leadership roles. "All men are naturally perverts and can't help but harass women, and also we should run the world."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jurgan posted:

Given his worldview, it makes sense. He believes that all people are depraved, and men would automatically be perverts if not held in check by some religious force, so the government needs to enforce those religious ideas. What doesn't make sense is that the people who believe that also tend to believe that women should be kept out of religious or government leadership roles. "All men are naturally perverts and can't help but harass women, and also we should run the world."

"If men are this bad, imagine how bad women are"

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Fulchrum posted:

"If men are this bad, imagine how bad women are"

bible says so

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jurgan posted:

His interpretation of such is probably way more fluid than that in private, given how his weird kids act. It's mostly just politically expedient for him to say what he does about religion

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

Party of family values and pro-life right there.

I'm going to go kick puppies until I feel better.

Or maybe I'll just visit the cute thread for a more ethical sound emotional cooling down.

Pretty sure that's just some MRA jackass.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

Yeah, I'm going to call bullshit on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Louis_Gates_arrest_controversy

Almighty Wikipedia posted:

On July 16, 2009, Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr., was arrested at his Cambridge, Massachusetts home by a local police officer responding to a 9-1-1 caller's report of men breaking and entering the residence. The arrest initiated a series of events that unfolded under the spotlight of the international news media.

The arrest occurred just after Gates returned home to Cambridge after a trip to China to research the ancestry of Yo-Yo Ma for Faces of America.[2] Gates found the front door to his home jammed shut and with the help of his driver tried to force it open. A local witness reported their activity to the police as a potential burglary in progress. Accounts regarding the ensuing confrontation differ, but Gates was arrested by the responding officer, Cambridge Police Sgt. James Crowley, and charged with disorderly conduct.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lot of endless text crawls with this batch. Most of them I'm not even gonna bother responding.

Yes, America built it, represented by its government, which of course needs to stop building that great country.

quote:

Anger was mounting Monday at the federal Environmental Protection Agency over the massive spill of millions of gallons of toxic sludge from a Colorado gold mine that has already fouled three major waterways and may be three times bigger than originally reported.

An 80-mile length of mustard-colored water — laden with arsenic, lead, copper, aluminum and cadmium — is working its way south toward New Mexico and Utah, following Wednesday’s accidental release from the Gold King Mine, near Durango, when an EPA cleanup crew destabilized a dam of loose rock lodged in the mine. The crew was supposed to pump out and decontaminate the sludge, but instead released it into tiny Cement Creek. From there, it flowed into the Animas River and made its way into larger tributaries, including the San Juan and Colorado rivers.

“They are not going to get away with this,” said Russell Begaye, president of the Navajo Nation, which intends to sue the EPA.

Begaye said Saturday at a community meeting in Shiprock, N.M., that he intends to take legal action against the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for the massive release of mine waste into the Animas River near Silverton, Colorado.

“The EPA was right in the middle of the disaster and we intend to make sure the Navajo Nation recovers every dollar it spends cleaning up this mess and every dollar it loses as a result of injuries to our precious Navajo natural resources,” Begaye said. “I have instructed Navajo Nation Department of Justice to take immediate action against the EPA to the fullest extent of the law to protect Navajo families and resources.”

At this point I'm pretty sure that at one point the guy who makes these tried to gently caress a wall socket.

And Walker is leading the charge by getting the governor of Wisconisin out of the way and not returning to his state in the middle of a string of crises.

quote:

The Obama administration is defending the secrecy of a $1 million grant to the New Hampshire affiliate of the Planned Parenthood abortion business in 2011. The abortion giant is getting new national attention after it was caught selling aborted babies and body parts from aborted babies.

The Obama administration is keeping documents secret related to a non-competitive grant the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services awarded directly to Planned Parenthood of Northern New England in 2011 without going through state approval or standard protocols and despite the fact that the state decided not to fund Planned Parenthood that year.

Today, a pro-life legal group, Alliance Defending Freedom, filed a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court that responds to the Obama administration’s keeping the documents under wrap. ADF attorneys and allied attorney Michael Tierney represent New Hampshire Right to Life in New Hampshire Right to Life v. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, a lawsuit that seeks the public release of information under the Freedom of Information Act about a Title X “Family Planning” grant HHS awarded to Planned Parenthood of Northern New England in 2011.

“Americans deserve to know if their hard-earned tax money is being funneled to groups that are misusing it,” said Tierney. “The government is withholding documents that are critical in evaluating this apparently illegal funding, which the Obama administration granted despite New Hampshire’s grave concerns and without following standard protocols. The administration’s ongoing defense of Planned Parenthood and the secrecy surrounding its funding is completely unacceptable.”

Gee, its almost as if they AREN'T mindless beserk ferals or something.

So you're attempting to bash Clinton on a strawman statement that Carly Fiorina said. And still managing to fail at that.

quote:

CEDAR RAPIDS — Ben Carson’s campaign against a federal government that “insinuates itself into every aspect of our lives” seemed to gain supporters at his Family Festival on May’s Island Saturday.

The retired physician challenged the attitude of the political class that “believes that they know what you want even if it isn’t what you because you just haven’t come to their way of thinking yet.”

“That’s such stupid thinking,” the Detroit Republican told a crowd of hundreds that was not deterred by a sprinkling of rain throughout his 30-minute speech.

His audience welcomed his call for a return to the “can-do” attitude that made American a world leader than the “what can you do for me” attitude that too many people have adopted as the federal government has replaced individual decision-making with policies and regulations.

quote:

As pressure builds on Hillary Clinton to explain her official use of personal email while serving as secretary of state, she faced new complications Tuesday. It was disclosed her top aides are being drawn into a burgeoning federal inquiry and that two emails on her private account have been classified as “Top Secret.”

The inspector general for the Intelligence Community notified senior members of Congress that two of four classified emails discovered on the server Clinton maintained at her New York home contained material deemed to be in one of the highest security classifications – more sensitive than previously known.

The notice came as the State Department inspector general’s office acknowledged that it is reviewing the use of “personal communications hardware and software” by Clinton’s former top aides after requests from Congress.

>Despite the acknowledgment, the State Department inspector general’s office has left numerous unanswered questions, including exactly who and what is being investigated. The office initially declined to comment and referred questions to the Intelligence Community inspector general’s office, which said it is not currently involved in any inquiry into aides and is being denied full access to aides’ emails by the State Department.

Notice that only one of them is ACTUALLY leading.

Hey look, a woman who made a choice of what to do with her body. What a perfect sign of why the pro-choice movement is right.

quote:

OLIVE BRANCH, Miss. – Republican presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) wasn’t the only politician who has painted himself as a foe of Washington shaking hands and addressing voters here Tuesday.

Cruz traveled around Mississippi with state Sen. Chris McDaniel, a controversial tea party favorite who lost a U.S. Senate runoff race to incumbent Sen. Thad Cochran last year. McDaniel, who has made what critics said were insensitive comments on gender and race in the past, represented the fears the Republican establishment has about the tea party. The establishment did all it could to defeat McDaniel, who later contested the election and alleged that Cochran’s campaign participated in voter fraud.

Now Cruz is hoping to use McDaniel to galvanize the grassroots here in Mississippi and tap into the anger at the establishment in this state. It is also not the first state where someone who has made controversial or inflammatory comments has been part of a Cruz leadership team.

“I am proud to stand with Senator Chris McDaniel,” Cruz told reporters here. The Texas Republican slammed the “D.C. machine” over McDaniel’s loss last year and called for a voter fraud investigation. McDaniel is now Cruz’s state co-chair here.

quote:

Donald Trump told Chris Cuomo on CNN’s New Day that he opposes federal funding going to Planned Parenthood to pay for abortions, but that he’s okay with tax dollars going to the group to pay for other services that it provides.

“The problem that I have with Planned Parenthood is the abortion situation. It is like an abortion factory, frankly,” Trump began. “And you can’t have it. And you just shouldn’t be funding it. That should not be funded by the government, and I feel strongly about that.”

And he went on: “I would look at the good aspects of [Planned Parenthood], and I would also look, because I’m sure they do some things properly and good and that are good for women, and I would look at that, and I would look at other aspects also. But we have to take care of women.”

So, in short, Trump defended the status quo: half a billion dollars of taxpayer cash for the group.

Planned Parenthood applauded Trump’s remarks.

“Donald Trump seems to have realized that banning all abortions, shutting down the government, and defunding Planned Parenthood are extreme positions that are way too far outside the mainstream for even him to take,” said spokesman Eric Ferrero in a statement.

“We hope that the rest of the GOP field will wake up and reconsider their extreme and unpopular positions on defunding preventive care, abortion bans, and the other economic issues that women and their families care about,” Ferrero continued.

Trump continues to demonstrate that he is still the most sane and nuanced of all the Republicans running.

They've waited decades for any form of error to enable them to pretend this is happening constantly.

quote:

Fiorina spent the day traveling, bouncing between television interviews, taking selfies, fielding calls from giddy supporters and trying to capi­tal­ize on her highly praised performance in a debate for lower-tier Republican presidential candidates Thursday night.

The moment was months in the making for Fiorina, the former chief executive of Hewlett-Packard who launched a long-shot bid that has yet to gain traction in early polls. She has pitched herself as the GOP’s lone woman who can mercilessly criticize Democratic front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton — and joke about hormones in the White House — without being accused of sexism. She has tied some of her campaign stops to Clinton’s schedule and, at times, has seemed to play up her femininity, picking sundresses over suits, pink over black.

But Fiorina emerged from Cleveland on Thursday independent of her female foil, suggesting she can play a greater role in the crowded GOP field as a fearless debater not afraid to go after candidates in either party.

“I’ve also gained a reputation, maybe, for saying some things that other people aren’t prepared to say,” Fiorina said at the RedState Gathering, a summit hosted by a popular conservative Web site.

Things other people won't say. Like, "Carly Fiorina was not the worst CEO in human history".

quote:

(Originally posted at The Federalist) | With one debate already under his belt, Donald Trump may well be cruising to the Republican nomination for president in 2016. Despite (or maybe because of) his controversial statements during the first debate, polls still show Trump with a strong leader over his GOP opponents.

More remarkable than his front-runner status, however, is the fact that he has maintained it despite a long history of supporting failed liberal policies. A lot of his policy proposals appear to have come straight from Hillary’s playbook. Take the quiz below and see if you can spot the difference between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton!

Take the quiz…

And they actually have the entire thing on their site.

Ah. So, which of the present day female Justices disagrees with Roe V. Wade? Hmm?

Notice that they only oppose the one that involved a black person actually having some say.

quote:

Throughout his 30-minute speech in Vinton, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal returned often to Clinton, equating her would-be presidency to a third term of the Obama administration.

The governor’s criticism wasn’t solely focused on the Democratic candidates. Telling the receptive crowd that the founding fathers never imagined a “permanent political class,” he railed against Republicans in Washington who haven’t fulfilled their campaign promises.

“We can’t just send any Republican to the White House,” he said. “We have to send somebody who will do and say the things they’re not supposed to say and do. We’ll take on the establishment of both parties.”

Jindal repeated the message in his second stop, a town hall meeting in Marion.

“If we don’t take action now, there may be a day … where this country, the greatest country in the history of the world, goes so far that it would be impossible to come back,” Jindal told the crowd.

quote:

Imagine my surprise when I realized that you Trump fans are not supporting him ironically. You’ve taken to him like a hipster takes to vinyl – with a stubborn and mindless affinity that inexplicably disregards all facts and evidence in favor of a predetermined, and wrong, conclusion.

Digital is better than that hundred year-old technology, and there were plenty of other folks up on those stages who were better than Trump. There were plenty of people in the audience better than Trump. They were wearing shoes that would make better presidents than Trump.

But you Trumpsters don’t care. He’s not a serious candidate, even to you; he’s a mere receptacle carrying your anger and frustration. He deserves credit for forcing the issue of illegal immigration to the forefront – for a time. But because Trump cares nothing about illegal immigration – if you actually listened to what he says instead of luxuriating in how he makes you feel, you’d see he’s still foursquare in favor of amnesty – the debate didn’t focus on immigration. It focused on Trump – how Trump feels about himself, how he feels about people who ask him questions, and more about how he feels about himself.

If you are still for Trump, you’re a sucker. A fool. A mark taken by a political grifter who has cunningly exploited both your legitimate rage and your inability to respond to the myriad outrages the establishment has heaped upon you with anything but inarticulate anger.

Kurt Schlichter is a trial lawyer in Los Angeles, California. A retired U.S. Army infantry colonel, he is the author of Conservative Insurgency: The Struggle to Take America Back 2009-2041.

Notice how absolutely none of this wouldn't fit every other Republican.

Hah, those insane Republicans! Wait a minute.....

Only a child would think Republicans try to actually help America.

quote:

“As President, I would promote a Fair and Flat Tax plan, known as the ‘EZ Tax.’ My tax plan would be the largest tax cut in American history, reforming individual, business, and worker taxes,” the Libertarian-leaning senator from Kentucky wrote on his new 2016 campaign Web site.

The big idea behind a flat tax: Move from an income tax system with many rates to one single rate. Kill all but a few tax breaks. And make all investment income tax free. Generally, the goal is to only tax money once: either when it’s earned or when it’s withdrawn after being deposited or invested.

Not all flat-tax proposals are alike, however. They can differ in how high they set the rate; how big of an income tax exemption they allow for all filers based on family size; how many other tax breaks they include; and whether they eliminate payroll and estate taxes.

Single, flat tax rate: 17%

Paychecks: Individuals would pay 17% tax on wages and salaries. The net effective rate they pay would almost certainly be lower assuming they’re allowed to take an exemption, which is typical under a flat tax. For example, say you gross $100 in income and get to exempt $20. You’d only pay 17% on the $80 that remains. That works out to be $13.60, or just 13.6% of your gross income.

Business income: Businesses would be subject to the same 17% rate.

Investment income: Capital gains, dividends and interest would be tax free.

Payroll tax: Low- and middle-income workers would get an exemption from the Social Security tax. How much isn’t clear.

Estate and gift tax: Eliminated.

Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT): Eliminated.

quote:

Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton announced Tuesday that she had directed her aides to turn over her personal e-mail server to the Justice Department, giving in to months of demands that she relinquish the device she used to store her correspondence while secretary of state.

The move came hours after it was disclosed that the inspector general for the intelligence community, I. Charles McCullough III, had notified senior members of Congress that two of four retroactively classified emails found on Clinton’s server contained material deemed to be more sensitive than had previously been thought.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said two emails that traversed Clinton’s personal system were deemed “Top Secret, Sensitive Compartmented Information” — a rating that is among the government’s highest classifications. Grassley said McCullough had reported the new details about the higher classification to Congress on Tuesday.

The State Department disputes McCullough’s determination that the emails were classified at the time they were sent. McCullough had previously told Congress that potentially hundreds of classified emails are among the cache that Clinton provided to the State Department.

Donald Trump...is a master of fleecing idiots. But of COURSE he's not a Republican.

quote:

Marco Rubio is reaping the benefits of a breakout performance in the first Republican presidential debate by winning over new donors, earning praise from evangelical leaders and eagerly engaging in political combat with Hillary Rodham Clinton over abortion.

The burst of activity since Thursday’s inaugural Republican debate has come at a welcome moment for the freshman senator from Florida. He surged after kicking off his campaign in April but more recently has lagged in early-state polls. Like his opponents, Rubio has been overshadowed by the rise of billionaire Donald Trump.

Rubio donors say they have been flooded with calls, texts and e-mails in recent days from uncommitted patrons now eager to make and bundle contributions to help him. In addition, his comments against abortion during the debate have also allowed Rubio to emerge as one of the GOP’s leading voices on the issue — drawing sharp criticism from Clinton, which is always a plus in the Republican primary.

Rubio, 44, emphasized during the debate in Cleveland that he has never advocated allowing abortions in cases of rape or incest and said the current generation would eventually be viewed as “barbarians” for legalizing the procedure. The remarks elevated his standing among social conservatives.

quote:

The pro-life advocates behind the five shocking videos exposing Planned Parenthood selling the body parts of aborted babies for research have released a 6th video today that shows how the abortion business sells body parts of aborted babies without patient consent.

The video features Holly O’Donnell, a licensed phlebotomist who unsuspectingly took a job as a “procurement technician” at the fetal tissue company and biotech start-up StemExpress in late 2012. That’s the company that acts as a middleman and purchases the body parts of aborted babies from Planned Parenthood to sell to research universities and other places.

The new video includes O’Donnell’s eyewitness narrative of the daily practice of fetal body parts harvesting in Planned Parenthood abortion clinics, describing tissue procurement workers’ coordination with abortion providers, the pressure placed on patients, and disregard for patient consent.

As a procurement tech, O’Donnell’s job was to identify pregnant patients matching the specifications of StemExpress customers and to harvest the fetal body parts from their abortions. She essential says Planned Parenthood is violating federal law by not properly obtaining the consent from women who have abortions to sell their aborted baby or baby’s body parts.

"Now more about how I want to stop ANYONE having an abortion!"

quote:

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum said Thursday that the recent Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage was a ‘rogue’ decision, comparing it to the pro-slavery Dred Scott decision that preceded the Civil War. Santorum was asked by Fox News host Bill Hemmer whether Obergefell v. Hodges – the recent Supreme Court ruling that legalized same-sex marriage across the nation – was settled law.

“It is not any more than Dred Scott was settled law to Abraham Lincoln, who, in his first inaugural address, said ‘it won’t stand,’” Santorum responded. “And they went ahead and passed laws in direct contravention to a rogue Supreme Court.”

The 1857 Dred Scott v. Sanford decision centered around Missouri slave Dred Scott, who lived in the free state of Illinois between 1833 and 1843 before returning to Missouri. Scott sued for his freedom, claiming his residency in a free state made him a free man. However, the Court ruled in a 7-2 decision that Scott was still a slave, and concluded that no person descended from an American slave had ever been a citizen of the United States.

Black Outreach is going swimmingly, then.

quote:

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Customs and Border Protection (CBP) apprehended 99,580 ‘Other Than Mexican’ families and unaccompanied children along the U.S. border with Mexico so far through June of fiscal year 2015 (Oct. 1, 2014 – June 30, 2015).

“Other Than Mexican” refers to all illegal aliens apprehended on the border that are from countries other than Mexico.

A spokesperson for the CBP told CNSNews.com that a “family unit” refers to “a parent traveling with a child.” The children without a parent are indentified in the statistics as Unaccompanied Alien Children (0-17).

According to DHS’s end of year statistics for 2014, “While Border Patrol apprehensions of Mexican nationals in FY 2014 decreased by 14 percent from FY 2013, apprehensions of individuals from countries other than Mexico, predominately from Central America, increased by 68 percent.”

quote:

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker took to Twitter Tuesday to respond to Hillary Clinton’s campaign for criticizing comments he made about racial discord on the anniversary of the shooting death of unarmed teenager Michael Brown, saying the Democratic front-runner’s rhetoric “is the kind of thing that divides us.”

The Republican presidential candidate began by saying “In general, if anyone focuses on racial discord we’re going to get more of that and sadly we’ve seen that across the country under this administration. If we focus on unity, then I think we’re going to get more of that. I think in South Carolina, folks know this particularly well.”

Walker then addressed the issue nationally, adding “We got to do more to strengthen families in this country.”

“We got to do more to make sure everyone can get access to great education,” Walker said. “We gotta do more to make sure that once people have a good education, that we do more for the private sector, to create jobs, so people have more opportunities.”

quote:

Volunteers with the St. Louis Tea Party Coalition gather with Dellena Jones outside her shop, 911 Hair Salon. The St. Louis Tea Party Coalition has been helping Jones rebuild after protests erupted in Ferguson, Mo., last year and again on Sunday. (Photo: Dottie McKenna Bailey)
This week, on the one-year anniversary of Michael Brown’s death, a familiar image came out of Ferguson, Mo., as protesters faced off against police in the city just as they did 12 months ago.

For one business owner, a night of rioting and looting disrupted a year of rebuilding not just her business, but a community.

Over the course of last year, Dellena Jones, owner of 911 Hair Salon on West Florissant Avenue, found an ally eager to help her rebuild: the St. Louis Tea Party Coalition.

But on Sunday, a group of young men shattered the left window of her beauty salon as protests flared once again in the St. Louis suburb.

Jones’ shop is located in the epicenter of where the protests occurred last year in Ferguson after Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old black man, was killed by former police officer Darren Wilson.

The looters, who robbed the store after police shot and injured a young black man who allegedly fired several shots at officers, took beauty supplies such as scissors and curling irons and flipped over one of Jones’s hair dryers. It will likely cost hundreds of dollars to purchase a new hair dryer.

“I was hoping for the best and believing for the best,” Jones said in an interview with The Daily Signal of her expectations for the anniversary of Brown’s death. “We were expecting for things to be good, and if it weren’t, not [this] bad.”

For Jones, who worked for more than a decade at the salon before taking over as owner in 2012, the burglary came after a year of struggling to get her business back on its feet.

“It’s been very challenging,” Jones said. “I’ve been trying to keep up the bills here and at home. It’s proven to be very difficult and challenging and almost impossible.”

One year ago, as the nation turned to watch Ferguson following Brown’s death, Jones became a victim of the riots and looting that took place in its wake. Her store was one of more than 30 businesses looted and damaged. One business, a QuikTrip convenience store, was burned to the ground.

Jones estimated that in the last 12 months, the protests have caused her to lose roughly $75,000—a combination of lost revenue from a decrease in foot traffic along West Florissant Avenue and the cost of repairing her shop.

“You have all of these different protesters. They don’t pop into your business and say, ‘Hey, what do you need?’ or ‘Hey, are you all OK?’” Jones said. “It just seems like with the protests, it seems very selfish.”

After last year’s protests, the St. Louis Tea Party Coalition rallied volunteers to participate in “buycotts” of Ferguson businesses to show people that yes, the stores in the town were open for business, and yes, it’s safe to shop in the city.

And over the last few months, the group has also been helping Jones put her store back together.

Last night, the St. Louis Tea Party coalition solicited help from a group who offered to stand guard in the store. Four men sat inside Jones’ store to make sure it wasn’t disturbed and offered to stay again Tuesday night.

“It’s one thing after another,” Dottie McKenna Bailey, a member of the St. Louis Tea Party Coalition, told The Daily Signal. “Literally, she’s in the wrong spot at the wrong time.”

Bailey, who is white, and Jones, who is black, have formed a tight bond in the wake of the protests sparked by racial tensions in the city. They are both single moms. Bailey even calls Jones her “kindred spirit.”

On Friday nights, Bailey will head down to Ferguson to sit in Jones’ shop, where they laugh, joke, and “love on each other.”

“She’s going to keep going,” Bailey said. “She has a positive attitude. She’s not blaming anybody. She’s not shouting racism. She’s just trying to love on people. I’m white. She’s black, and she loves on me like I’m her sister.”

Bailey started a GoFundMe, an online crowdfunding page, for Jones and hopes to raise enough money to redo the shop, rebrand the company, and help her hire other employees.

Such an overhaul, Jones said, would help remove the “invisible markings” left from last year’s protests and riots.

“A lot of times, people feel like they can intimidate you. They just come back and do more intimidation. If we as a people who are really loving—when these types of things happen, we have to stand up,” Jones said.

One of the biggest hurdles, the women agreed, is shaking the stigma that Ferguson may not be a safe place to visit and work. Jones said it’s been challenging to find people to work in the salon, but she and Bailey believe that the St. Louis suburb can get back on its feet.

All that’s needed is a little love.

“It’s a great community. It’s having its issues right now,” Bailey said. “But what I want to say to people is it all started in Ferguson, let’s end it in Ferguson and let it be done. What a great legacy Ferguson can have: the community came together, we loved on each other. Even the folks that were the rotten element—we welcomed them, we prayed for them, and we rebuilt our community so it’s stronger than ever. What a great message that would be to the rest of the world, so that it doesn’t have to go by the wayside.”

Bailey frequents the city’s stores to show support and makes a point to hold business lunches at the Ferguson Brewing Company. She’s become fiercely loyal toward Jones, and she noted how the “Black Lives Matter” movement leaves out important members of the black community: business owners like Jones working to provide a living for their families.

“I was thinking yesterday,” Bailey said, “she’s a black woman. Everybody’s like, ‘Black lives matter.’ And I’m thinking, do only some black lives matter? What about her life and her livelihood and her business that she’s built and her income for her family? Do her black children’s lives not matter?”

Jones, speaking in a separate interview, agreed.

“It’s just amazing to me. The biggest chant is ‘Black lives matter.’ So many black lives are being affected by this in such a big way,” Jones said. “I’m an African-American, I’m a single parent. I have two kids. I’m affected by this. It’s almost a little bit contradictory with the chants of ‘Black lives matter,’ but it seems that it’s only some black lives matter.”

Remember when companies didn't store arsenic behind loose debris dams? Yeah, me neither.

Alright, thats pretty funny.

quote:

A new poll shows Ben Carson tied for third place in the Republican presidential primary race. The retired Johns Hopkins neurosurgeon faced a national audience Tuesday on CBS This Morning.

Political Reporter Pat Warren says Carson answered some pointed questions.

When asked about his position on abortion, Carson stated flatly he’s against it.

Reporter: “You are opposed to all abortions even in the case of life of mother.”

Carson: “I think when it comes to the case of the life of the mother, you have to look at the individual situation. Recognize that that’s largely a spurious argument because we’ve advanced so much in medicine these days that that situation rarely occurs.”

And perhaps contrary to expectations, there’s a surge of support for Carson on social media.

The Washington Post reports Carson had the first and second highest number of “Likes” on Facebook Thursday night.

McCain-womens-health-dismissal.jpg

quote:

Voter Gravity has now conducted two Iowa flash polls in 2015. Those polls exclusively consist of voters who have participated in every Republican primary and general election since 2008. These are definitely the most consistent Republican voters in Iowa, and while we can’t know all the reasons why these voters are shifting loyalties, they most certainly are.

In 2015, we have watched with great interest as Scott Walker led multiple polls, showing 18% support amongst Iowa Republican primary voters in May of 2015. In our latest Iowa flash poll the Monday after Cleveland’s debate, he was still strong in the field with 12% support, but obviously bled off some support to other candidates as they rose in prominence.

When Carly Fiorina entered the presidential race, she didn’t have much national name ID. In the May Iowa poll Fiorina only had 4% support. But with a ton of earned media coverage, a great showing in the debate and social media buzz through the weekend, Fiorina ended up at 13% in the Monday post debate Iowa poll of the highest propensity Iowa Republicans. This was the greatest net change for any candidate in the poll.

Ben Carson topped the post-debate Iowa poll with 19%, but had already done very well in our May Iowa poll, earning 11% at that time. Based on the jump, it’s clear that Carson earned plenty of new supporters and built off the foundation he already had coming into the debate.

"LOOK! Now there are only a dozen white men beating out our tokens."

You can just make up that people swore something under penalty of perjury even if they didn't? This changes a lot.

So up here that absolutely none of it could be reached by anyone trying to hack things.

quote:

In barbeque joints and tea rooms, Cruz is courting the southerners who are likely to play an outsized role in next year’s Republican primary. Eight southern states are slated to cast ballots on March 1, a day now monikered the “SEC Primary” after the top-performing college football conference that voters here cheer.

So Cruz and a large group of aides are spending the congressional recess not in New Hampshire — a more liberal state, for instance, that he has not visited in more than two months — but on a bus tour in places like Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and Van Buren, Arkansas, hoping to quietly build the infrastructure and lavish candidate attention on SEC states while rivals spend time in Iowa.

“Like the SEC does two-a-days, we’re doing two-a-days here right now,” said Cruz campaign manager Jeff Roe as Cruz greeted a crowd in Huntsville. “Everybody comes in for a Fourth of July event — a big speech, or some sort of cattle call — but spending the time, doing these type of events? We don’t see that from anybody else.”

The Cruz campaign believes its path to victory rests on a slow, slog-it-out winning of delegates in states that award them proportionally like these. So with at least 356 delegates up for grabs in the South on March 1, the campaign is placing a particularly large emphasis on the SEC primary, especially in Georgia, where the campaign has many financial ties, and Texas, the popular senator’s home state.

Ah, the ever popular Santorum 2012 strategy.

quote:

Tuesday morning on CNN, Donald Trump expressed interest in keeping most taxpayer funding for Planned Parenthood. Later that evening, he defended the organization again in during an appearance on Sean Hannity’s show by repeating the deeply dishonest talking point that abortion is a “small part” of what Planned Parenthood does:

There’s two Planned Parenthoods, in a way. You have it as an abortion clinic. Now that’s actually a fairly small part of what they do, but it’s a brutal part. And I’m totally against that and I wouldn’t do that. They also, however, service women. And one of the things that I thought was so terrible, when Jeb Bush the other day talked about women’s health issues he was so bad. It’s like what is he doing? We have to help women. A lot of women are helped. So we have to look at the positives also for Planned Parenthood.

When Hannity pointed out that funding for Planned Parenthood, an organization that annually performs more than 300,000 abortions, could subsidize abortionists, Trump suggested “maybe” Planned Parenthood should lose all of its funding. “Maybe unless they stop with the abortions, we don’t do the funding for the stuff that we want,” Trump said.

Here's the verse if anyone wants.

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

And I am officially too tired to figure out what the gently caress point they think they're making.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

:gay:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Fulchrum posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure that at one point the guy who makes these tried to gently caress a wall socket.

We should all gently caress only people (of opposite genders) who is born in the same region. A anti-interracial macro.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
How many animals display homosexual behavior again?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Human beings are mere objects, only useful for their ability to... conduct electricity?

I'm pleasantly surprised to find LL101 pointing out how stupid the American Family Association's constant calls for boycotts and letter-writing campaigns over retailers failing to be sufficiently homophobic. That's what it is, right? :v:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Here's the verse if anyone wants.

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

And I am officially too tired to figure out what the gently caress point they think they're making.

The EPA spilled some heavy metals, therefore it should stop judging others and let industries pollute as much as they want.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Christ, Walker is the goofiest motherfucker that's running in the GOP primary

Seriously, it's impossible to take that dopey looking gently caress seriously

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Carson and Fiornia are going to tank when people start running with the fact that Carson did research on fetal tissue and Fiornia nearly ruined HP and made 20000 people lose their jobs.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I actually had a science teacher in high school use that plug analogy in class to tell us about the aberration that is homosexuality.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Conversely, I had a religious studies teacher in high school respond to a student saying that homosexuality was unnatural because "men and women fit together" with "I'm sure you could figure out how to fit two men together."

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Rufio posted:

I actually had a science teacher in high school use that plug analogy in class to tell us about the aberration that is homosexuality.

The teacher should instead tell the students about the aberration that is different plug sockets for different countries. loving somebody who handles these kind of stuff

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Its not just other countries. In America we have 15A plugs w/o ground, 15A plugs with ground, 20A plugs, 220V 20A plugs, 30A plugs of various types, and a few different kinds of 50A plugs. I guess this is a way of demonstrating how if you are fat, then you must find a fat partner. Nobody likes a dis-proportionally attractive couple, it makes everyone uncomfortable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rufio posted:

Its not just other countries. In America we have 15A plugs w/o ground, 15A plugs with ground, 20A plugs, 220V 20A plugs, 30A plugs of various types, and a few different kinds of 50A plugs. I guess this is a way of demonstrating how if you are fat, then you must find a fat partner. Nobody likes a dis-proportionally attractive couple, it makes everyone uncomfortable.
That sounds more like a rationale for the "Asian women don't date black guys and black women don't date Asian guys because [dumb poo poo about dick size]" thing.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

VitalSigns posted:

The EPA spilled some heavy metals, therefore it should stop judging others and let industries pollute as much as they want.

To be more specific, the EPA's pollution is far worse than any of the pollution that it monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know it's not nice to say and means absolutely nothing but Christ is Bobby Jindal an ugly dude