Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Non Serviam posted:

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/EAH6850_DC2DIS1GD5/

This is my graphics card, and I'm not sure it would actually work so well on UHD for games. So, with that in mind:

1. Can I use a 4K monitor with such a card, for normal purposes, or will it just not work?
2. Is it possible to play games on a 4K monitor without playing them at 4K?
3. If I have a dual monitor set, one of which is not 4K, can't I just play the games in that one?

EDIT: I know how basic the questions are, sorry!

This graphics card cannot drive a 4K monitor at 4k resolution. The maximum resolution this card supports is 2560x1440. Source: I had one and needed to buy a new card to get 4K resolution. Also: https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/EAH6850_DC2DIS1GD5/specifications/ under maximum resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Looks like there is a deal for the Dell U3415W on newegg for only $800 shipped at the moment if you put in a discount code.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8046953-led...more-newegg-com

Anyone gotten this monitor? Is it a good ultra wide for 800 bucks?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Looks like there is a deal for the Dell U3415W on newegg for only $800 shipped at the moment if you put in a discount code.

Earlier in the thread someone was saying that it's the best monitor they have ever used: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=354#post448733722

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Massasoit posted:

Is micro center known for having well priced monitors? I'm moving close to one soon

Microcenter will take about 25% off the sticker price for any monitor that is Open Box (make sure the open box notes don't say that the screen is cracked or anything), and they will take another 25% off for any that are factory refurbished. Not quite the same thing. but I got this model of 55" Smart TV off them for $340 and it's been great: http://amazon.com/Hisense-55K22DG-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00GFHG1OQ

So, if you search out their open box stuff you can hunt some great deals.

For example, right now at the Boston store they have the Dell U2713HM for $599, but they have one Open Box return that has nothing wrong with it for $419: http://www.microcenter.com/product/401983/U2713HM_UltraSharp_27_LED_Monitor?ob=1

That's a great price for a 27" 1440p Dell Ultrasharp, and if you want to roll the dice, know that they don't give any hassle with their 30-day returns.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Ugh, want this so bad but I cannot figure out a way to explain to my wife why a giant monitor showed up on our doorstep. Other than the obvious, anyways.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SteveMcQueen posted:

Ugh, want this so bad but I cannot figure out a way to explain to my wife why a giant monitor showed up on our doorstep. Other than the obvious, anyways.

"Honey, haven't you ever heard of the monitor fairy? What's wrong? Ow! Ow! Not the kidneys!"

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

"Honey, haven't you ever heard of the monitor fairy? What's wrong? Ow! Ow! Not the kidneys!"

The dumbest part of it is that I am still using a GTX 660 - could upgrade but I mostly play roguelikes and such. It would be totally unnecessary but also ridiculously awesome.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Seeing that my card cannot produce a 4K resolution, and that in all honesty I'm not planning to upgrade my card since I simply don't play video games enough to justify it, I thought about going instead to a 27'' 1440 monitor.
Thougts on ASUS MX27AQ ?

It seems to be aimed at prosumers and photo/digital art beginners.
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MX27AQ/
http://www.reviewstudio.net/2216-asus-designo-mx27aq-monitor-review-a-sleek-subtle-monitor/testing-amp-results
http://latestworldtechnology.com/asus-designo-mx27aq-27-inch-monitor/

Sorry to be so annoying with questions :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

Seeing that my card cannot produce a 4K resolution, and that in all honesty I'm not planning to upgrade my card since I simply don't play video games enough to justify it, I thought about going instead to a 27'' 1440 monitor.
Thougts on ASUS MX27AQ ?

It seems to be aimed at prosumers and photo/digital art beginners.
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MX27AQ/
http://www.reviewstudio.net/2216-asus-designo-mx27aq-monitor-review-a-sleek-subtle-monitor/testing-amp-results
http://latestworldtechnology.com/asus-designo-mx27aq-27-inch-monitor/

Sorry to be so annoying with questions :(

The Dell U2715H is a better option, it's about the same price, the panel is just as good, the stand is much, much better and Dell is so much better than ASUS on RMAs and warranty service that it's not even funny.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've got it at home. It's probably my pick for the best monitor around for non-gaming tasks unless you're considering a 40"+ 4K screen or working with images/video, and the 4K TV thing requires some care to get a really good one.

It's a curved ultrawide (the curve is really a big deal) with Dell's top end stand, OSD and support. LG's got a better window management program if that's a real big deal for you but handling stuff manually isn't that bad.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 16, 2015

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Dell U2715H is a better option, it's about the same price, the panel is just as good, the stand is much, much better and Dell is so much better than ASUS on RMAs and warranty service that it's not even funny.

So in color performance we're looking at the same, roughly same price, but better quality in DELL?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

So in color performance we're looking at the same, roughly same price, but better quality in DELL?

Yeah, pretty much.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is ASUS support really that bad? I really would prefer the GSync for gaming but I might go Dell if their support is awful.

Though there might be a difference between the US and EU divisions?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ijyt posted:

Is ASUS support really that bad? I really would prefer the GSync for gaming but I might go Dell if their support is awful.

I once had to RMA an asus laptop 4 times.

One time when it was at their facility to replace a fan due to bad bearing, someone there used my cookies that I didn't think to clear to access my email, attempt to gain access to my different accounts such as paypal etc. ASUS never responded to my questions about this or acknowledged anything.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ijyt posted:

ASUS support is legendarily bad, I once had an ASUS motherboard that I needed to RMA, it never got RMAed because ASUS gave me the runaround for six weeks at which point I just gave up and bought a different brand of motherboard.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

To be fair, my motherboard, all purpose monitor, and sound card are all ASUS, all good so far.

On the other hand, I did have a netbook ASUS that turned out to be a piece of poo poo that couldn't even handle the goddamn updates (same with an Alienware laptop, that I foolishly bought many years ago)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ijyt posted:

US ASUS is the one that got them that reputation, no idea if others are bad, but US are the ones that bend the board on a broken card and send it back broken.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

xthetenth posted:

US ASUS is the one that got them that reputation, no idea if others are bad, but US are the ones that bend the board on a broken card and send it back broken.

So that's what they meant by "it's so bad it's not even funny"

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

So that's what they meant by "it's so bad it's not even funny"

No, I think what they mean by that is the next time they'd tried to bend it back, and apparently had spilled something on it.

That's the worst horror story I heard.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

To be fair, my motherboard, all purpose monitor, and sound card are all ASUS, all good so far.

On the other hand, I did have a netbook ASUS that turned out to be a piece of poo poo that couldn't even handle the goddamn updates (same with an Alienware laptop, that I foolishly bought many years ago)

Well, here's the thing, ASUS makes really good stuff which is why they are often recommended but it's their support and customer service that's hideously bad. So you're unlikely to need an RMA but if you do it can be a nightmare. Dell monitors are generally of good quality and their support is pretty good too so if the price is nearly the same you might as well just go with the Dell in case something does happen.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, here's the thing, ASUS makes really good stuff which is why they are often recommended but it's their support and customer service that's hideously bad. So you're unlikely to need an RMA but if you do it can be a nightmare. Dell monitors are generally of good quality and their support is pretty good too so if the price is nearly the same you might as well just go with the Dell in case something does happen.

I did.

If it sucks, I will loving hunt you down and ask you more annoying questions.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

xthetenth posted:

I've got it at home. It's probably my pick for the best monitor around for non-gaming tasks unless you're considering a 40"+ 4K screen or working with images/video, and the 4K TV thing requires some care to get a really good one.

It's a curved ultrawide (the curve is really a big deal) with Dell's top end stand, OSD and support. LG's got a better window management program if that's a real big deal for you but handling stuff manually isn't that bad.

What about for gaming? It would pretty much be used for work, which dual monitors would be super helpful, and gaming.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing I ever had to RMA came back just fine...

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
<anecdotal experience here>

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

What about for gaming? It would pretty much be used for work, which dual monitors would be super helpful, and gaming.

For gaming it's quite solid. Good color, contrast and so on, can be pretty demanding at 34% more pixels than a non ultrawide 1440, but still doable for a 970 or equivalent. If you don't need high frame rate or *sync, it's pretty great.

Also, for work, I'd count it as one and a half monitors at least, it's usually quite doable to have three windows open at once, and although looking at a second screen is still awkward, it's not much more so than with two non-ultrawide 27" screens. By that size, the second screen is more for reference materials than active work windows or your neck will hate you.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
Does anyone know if the Acer XB270HU is safe to buy yet? I'm getting tired of waiting for the promised Asus version, but don't want to go through RMA hell with one either.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There have been a couple trip reports from those of us who bought recently, with manufacture dates in 'May'. Some light bleed, one guy reporting no stuck/dead pixels, I have 2 stuck pixels. Neither of us reported needing to RMA yet.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

VextheGrey posted:

Does anyone know if the Acer XB270HU is safe to buy yet? I'm getting tired of waiting for the promised Asus version, but don't want to go through RMA hell with one either.

I bought one 2 weeks ago and, going off what I read in a few places, made sure the manufacturer date was at least June and it's completely perfect. I also bought it at a store and not online so I could've just taken it back but didn't have to anyway. Of course this doesn't mean you couldn't get unlucky or whatever.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

kojicolnair posted:

I bought one 2 weeks ago and, going off what I read in a few places, made sure the manufacturer date was at least June and it's completely perfect.

No light bleed?

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

VextheGrey posted:

I bought one when I got a 20% off coupon in the mail from Micro Center. I took it back about 30 minutes later when I found a dead pixel and some dust under the screen.
The one I exchanged it for is fine.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Ranter posted:

No light bleed?

If I get the room completely dark and have a sole black image up I can see some light bleed but I don't see it at all if I even have my TV on. That or I'm just not seeing it, either way not enough to bother me.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

VextheGrey posted:

I bought a refurbished one off of Amazon for $100 less and it had one green stuck pixel that I'll notice on totally black backgrounds. I forget it's there 99% of the time but I did have one.

CBN_Shaggy
Aug 6, 2001

WHAMMIED! :(

VextheGrey posted:

I hope so. I'll have one on Wed. and can definitely report in after getting it set up.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I am trying to decide on a 27" high end gaming monitor. Anyone have any experience with the BenQ models and have any feedback on them or have another recommendation? ( I see a couple of models by BenQ are endorsed by WarGaming.net ) I am looking in the $400 US range, Asus has a nice ROG series but drat $750 is too high for a monitor.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Vendictus Prime posted:

I am trying to decide on a 27" high end gaming monitor. Anyone have any experience with the BenQ models and have any feedback on them or have another recommendation? ( I see a couple of models by BenQ are endorsed by WarGaming.net ) I am looking in the $400 US range, Asus has a nice ROG series but drat $750 is too high for a monitor.

So do you want high end gaming 27", or $400? They're two different things.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
I got an Asus MG279Q. The tftcentral.co.uk review recommends setting the overdrive to 80 (default is 60) for slightly better responsiveness for a negligible overshoot.

It just noticed that makes black text on a grey background (like you often see here on SA!) leave a very, very visible white trail. I'm using a Firefox Nightly with the new ultrasmooth scrolling so something similar might be required to see it.

But basically, does anyone else notice this on overdriven displays? Scrolling black on grey text = clear halos.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 18, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Skuto posted:

I got an Asus MG279Q. The tftcentral.co.uk review recommends setting the overdrive to 80 (default is 60) for slightly better responsiveness for a negligible overshoot.

It just noticed that makes black text on a grey background (like you often see here on SA!) leave a very, very visible white trail. I'm using a Firefox Nightly with the new ultrasmooth scrolling so something similar might be required to see it.

But basically, does anyone else notice this on overdriven displays? Scrolling black on grey text = clear halos.

That does not happen on my Dell U2415's overdrive(8ms to 6ms) but I get some banding when scrolling rapidly over certain colors, red being particularly bad, so I leave overdrive off.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Skuto posted:

It depends on each monitor's implementation of overdrive, but yeah, those halos are caused by overshoot, which is a pretty common issue with overdrive, with some monitors suffering much more than others. It's usually much less noticeable in games (where the transition won't often be as dramatic, and it's easier to hide in the movement of the entire scene), but for office work and text you're almost always better off with overdrive off entirely. Whether it bothers you enough to spare the effort of pressing the overdrive buttons to change it to each situation is up to you.

:effort:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I posted a week or two back about which Korean 27" panel to buy. I ended up getting a used/refurbished Achieva Shimian from green-sum on ebay for just under $200. So far it's really impressive. Zero dead pixels, a little bit of light bleed on the edges but not enough to complain about for the price. I haven't tried overclocking it yet but I'm impressed with everything except for the stand (since it's not adjustable). Luckily there's VESA mounting holes on the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Skuto posted:

My dell 3014 (which has very bad overdrive/overshoot that can't be turned off) does this exactly. You do sort of just stop noticing it after a week or so though.