Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I honestly just watched Fury Road last night and it was a horrible movie.

How is this a new page? gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

chitoryu12 posted:

Fury Road has a predominately female protagonist cast and literally every woman with lines is strong and defies the villain. It also makes the majority of the plot about Charlize Theron's character, with Max being a drifter who ends up in their group by accident.

Never mind that's sort of how Mad Max movies work.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Armani posted:

Hey, I'm a Sanderista but I really appreciate the effort posts on Hilary. Here's to an awesome election!

Am I going to regret asking about this?

Mad Max: Fury Road had a LOT of very Strong Female Characters who had a lot of agency. Max, on the other hand, played a secondary role, didn't do much without them around, and the only time he did do something badass by himself (taking out the bullet farm leader's group), it was entirely off screen. He also explicitly deferred to Furiosa multiple times, including (most memorably for me) when he was trying to snipe the light out of that dude's car (before he went in and blew it up off camera later)--he used all of the rounds but one, and gave it to her for the last shot. Also at the end, only the women, led by Furiosa go up the giant lift to assume leadership at the end; he fades away into the crowd to let them do their thing (and he assumably will go do some Other Things).

Also, George Miller (director, producer and writer) brought in Eve Ensler of the Vagina Monologues to help write the female characters (especially the escaped wives).

It ended up really pissing off MRAs, one of whom made this claim:

quote:

He claims that he and other men are being “duped by explosions, fire tornadoes and desert raiders into seeing what is guaranteed to be nothing more than feminist propaganda, while at the same time being insulted and tricked into viewing a piece of American culture ruined and rewritten right in front of their very eyes.”

which is amazing in it's inaccuracy considering that George Miller (who created Mad Max) is Australian, Charlize Theron is South African and Tom Hardy is British.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Lycus posted:

According to said human garbage, it was too feminist.

chitoryu12 posted:

Fury Road has a predominately female protagonist cast and literally every woman with lines is strong and defies the villain. It also makes the majority of the plot about Charlize Theron's character, with Max being a drifter who ends up in their group by accident.

This is incredible and I should probably go see this on a really, really big screen. Cheers.

E:

Look Around You posted:

Also, George Miller (director, producer and writer) brought in Eve Ensler of the Vagina Monologues to help write the female characters (especially the escaped wives).

quote:

It ended up really pissing off MRAs, one of whom made this claim:

which is amazing in it's inaccuracy considering that George Miller (who created Mad Max) is Australian, Charlize Theron is South African and Tom Hardy is British.

ok, gently caress that, I am seeing this *tomorrow*. Get more mad at good things, Internet.

Armani fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 17, 2015

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Pohl posted:

I honestly just watched Fury Road last night and it was a horrible movie.

Normally you're a cool fellow Pohl, but this. This is unacceptable. :eng99:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Armani posted:

This is incredible and I should probably go see this on a really, really big screen. Cheers.

I don't think I ever realized it which says something about me, but it is true.
The movie sucked, however.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I feel like this

Look Around You posted:

is what sparked it, because currently there are groups of very vocal people on the internet who consider any people who could be called feminists their mortal enemies for silly reasons. So when they heard that one was involved with the movie that had to hate it on principle and then bullshit their way into justifying their claim that the film had to be "feminist propaganda", because after all, a feminist had gotten her claws on it.

e:
Especially with statements like this:

quote:

He claims that he and other men are being “duped by explosions, fire tornadoes and desert raiders into seeing what is guaranteed to be nothing more than feminist propaganda, while at the same time being insulted and tricked into viewing a piece of American culture ruined and rewritten right in front of their very eyes.”
implying that the guy hasn't even watched the thing at all, just heard that a feminist was allowed on-set.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 17, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

I really wanted to like it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kitfox88 posted:

A friend I saw it with didn't like it because the story came across as the dumb thing he was told it was. Drive for an hour in one direction, only to turn around and go back to the beginning because the thing you wanted was back at the start. Not that Mad Max movies have ever been amazing stories, but the car chase combat stuff was amazing and I'd have been fine just watching that and nothing else. :shrug:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

A friend I saw it with didn't like it because the story came across as the dumb thing he was told it was. Drive for an hour in one direction, only to turn around and go back to the beginning because the thing you wanted was back at the start. Not that Mad Max movies have ever been amazing stories, but the car chase combat stuff was amazing and I'd have been fine just watching that and nothing else. :shrug:

Not gonna lie, I was blown away by some of the poo poo they did, but I guess that just doesn't do it for me anymore.

How all of those stunt actors didn't die, I don't even loving know.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I just want to know what the gently caress those stilt things in the swamp were christ something about those fuckers just strikes a mortal lizard brain part of me that gets terrified :gonk:

edit: to make this even slightly on topic, has there been any trump as immortan joe pictures yet

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

I just want to know what the gently caress those stilt things in the swamp were christ something about those fuckers just strikes a mortal lizard brain part of me that gets terrified :gonk:

edit: to make this even slightly on topic, has there been any trump as immortan joe pictures yet

It's suggested that they're the people who stayed behind in the Green Place when the soil turned sour.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Pohl posted:

Not gonna lie, I was blown away by some of the poo poo they did, but I guess that just doesn't do it for me anymore.

How all of those stunt actors didn't die, I don't even loving know.

The scene where the kid cuts that guy's fingers off with a boomerang? Yeah that poo poo cracks me up. This movie had none of that.

Why am I quoting myself, jesus christ.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Honestly I thought that was pretty good, since the point was they had to directly face their problem and try to fix their society, rather than just running away with nothing but a blind hope. That works pretty well considering the setting was caused by environmental disaster as well as nuclear war.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

Normally you're a cool fellow Pohl,

I just wanted to say I really needed that and thanks!

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

This thread is pretty well dead guys. Not wanting to pollute it is admirable but it's gone.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Motto posted:

Honestly I thought that was pretty good, since the point was they had to directly face their problem and try to fix their society, rather than just running away with nothing but a blind hope. That works pretty well considering the setting was caused by environmental disaster as well as nuclear war.

This is very true.

Also even if the base story itself is maybe not exciting, the action in the film is amazing and totally makes up for it, and the character development is just as amazing (particularly, the escaped wives had great development).

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Max wasn't the main character of Road Warrior either.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Job Truniht posted:

Max wasn't the main character of Road Warrior either.

That's just it. The whole flap was like three guys on Twitter who did the usual sad nerd :qq: "Star Wars is a kiddie action movie and not serious sci-fi now!" only with :qq: "Mad Max is just a drifter getting suckered into someone else's story and not a big gritty action man now!"

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Pohl fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 17, 2015

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

TBurk83 posted:

Serious question: Why is Hillary popular with minorities?

The Clinton's have been hugely into big tent politics their entire lives. Actively engaging and responding to problems minorities have has been their MO since the 70's and 80's in Arkansas. The congressional black caucus proclaimed Bill Clinton to be the nations first black president:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/clinton-honored-first-black-president-black-caucus-dinner

Eddie Bernice Johnson posted:

[Clinton] took so many initiatives he made us think for awhile we had elected the first black president.

Active engagement is key. Seeking people out, talking to them, listening to their problems, then acting on it.

To take a simple example from today's headlines. A couple dems in the senate right now sponsored a bill to grant voting rights to felons in federal elections. This is a racially charged issue because disenfranchisement through the prison system has been a deliberate, historic, tactic to disenfranchise black voters.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/two-democrats-want-to-restore-voting-rights-for-ex-felons/article/2561796

It's also an issue that Hillary has been pushing for at least ten years and wrote bills to do back when she was in the senate. In 2005 one of the Clinton scandals of the week was her "count every vote act" which would restore voting rights to gasp felons.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/s804

It would also had some rather wonderful things to say about availability of polling places and how long lines at polling places could be allowed to get. She was in cahoots with a black legislator in the house who proposed the same bill there. Neither bill passed. =/.

Hillary also has a rather novel proposal she is making part of her current platform of making voter registration opt-out instead of opt-in:. This is apparently working nicely in several countries and would completely remove all manner of opportunities to gently caress with minorities voting rights.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-voting-a-birthright-20150606-story.html

Bernie, by contrast, isn't a sponsor on the felon voting rights bill currently, wasn't a co-sponsor of Count Every Vote, and simply hasn't been pushing this issue. It's not that he won't vote for it if you put it in front of him. He will. But he has never needed minority votes prior to this moment and as a result has not prioritized courting them. As senator for Vermont what point is there in actively engaging minorities on anything? It's literally not his job. Arkansas, Washington DC, and New York by contrast all have large minority communities. So even if Hillary had wanted to do so, ignoring them would not have been politically viable. And given how her engagement both preceded her political career and is a major focus of her extensive charity works it's pretty obvious that impugning her sincerity here is just mud slinging.

As a result, Hillary can point to a lifelong track record of engagement and Bernie can't. So when Bernie puts on his blogger-in-chief hat and writes something like this:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7942850

Well this would be so much more impressive if the date on it were 2005 instead of 2015 and it were a bill for the senate written in collaboration with black legislators rather than a bunch of hot air on huff po, no?

If anything, the heavy handed rhetoric backfires because paired with his prior passivity it comes off as insincere and pandering. It also stops short of the bar Clinton set as his proposals focus on just the non controversial issues like wait times and availability but avoid discussing difficult topics like disenfranchisement via felon status.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000667

Holder posted:

And although well over a century has passed since post-Reconstruction states used these measures to strip African Americans of their most fundamental rights, the impact of felony disenfranchisement on modern communities of color remains both disproportionate and unacceptable. Throughout America, 2.2 million black citizens – or nearly one in 13 African-American adults – are banned from voting because of these laws. In three states – Florida, Kentucky, and Virginia – that ratio climbs to one in five."

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Great post for the Bernie/Hillary thread, please gently caress right off.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I dunno, it seemed pretty informative to me.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Bastard Tetris posted:

I dunno, it seemed pretty informative to me.

Seems to write off Bernie's past too easily to me but I am tainted :twisted:

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol you are utterly without shame.

The poster I was responding to asserted that Bernie advocates police disarmament. He does not. He supports the police using their arms responsibly. Which is not disarmament.

By contrast, Clinton unambiguously calls for removal of military gear from the police:

https://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/hillary-clinton-suports-president-obamas-ban-military-style-gear-police-departments

Hillary posted:

We can start by making sure that federal funds for state and local law enforcement are used to bolster best practices, rather than to buy weapons of war that have no place on our streets,

These are distinct policy positions. Support or oppose them as you like. I agree to take debate of their merits elsewhere and have removed from this post my reasoning for preferring Clinton's policy.

But I will respond to factual inaccuracies in any thread.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't see this posted, but Huckabee said he would support a 10 year old rape victim being forced to have a child.

I watched every debate last time around, but I don't recall everything, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember hardly anyone coming out against abortions in all cases (including the life of the mother! :psyexplode: ) in 2012, yet we already have at least FOUR prominent Republicans in favor of it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Look Around You posted:

America Asia, America Africa and America Europe

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

You could almost say he is :mediocre:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New FoxNews poll.

Hahahahhahahahhahah

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I'm watching an MSNBC interview with Trump and he seems alot more reasonable in his answers and positions than I would have thought. He has quite a few stupid moments "I get my military advice from the shows" but he also pointed out how stupid Republicans are on womens issues, and some hypocrisy in regards to Iraq-Afghanistan and our "allies" in the middle east.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

New FoxNews poll.

Hahahahhahahahhahah

Don't shoot! Let 'em burn!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

zoux posted:

New FoxNews poll.

Hahahahhahahahhahah

Scott Walker at 6%, it's all so beautiful

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

zoux posted:

New FoxNews poll.

Hahahahhahahahhahah

This season's buttplug crop is gonna be great.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
What happens when you try and segregate all of the election chat away from the USPol thread?

USPol becomes D&D Chat 2.0

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/13/gon...dium=socialflow

So I start feeling bad for Megyn Kelly, but then I just think she didn't seem to have any problem when the fox news rage machine was pointed at others.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Looking at the progression of those poll numbers brings to mind the milkshake monologue from the end of There Will be Blood. Trump just mercilessly berating a weeping Jeb about DRAINAGE and such.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

hangedman1984 posted:

So I start feeling bad for Megyn Kelly, but then I just think she didn't seem to have any problem when the fox news rage machine was pointed at others.

I'm reminded of the scene in Hannibal where the guy gets eaten by the pigs he taught to eat other people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hangedman1984 posted:

She's probably pretty mad at Ailes for siding with Trump over her.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Looking at the progression of those poll numbers brings to mind the milkshake monologue from the end of There Will be Blood. Trump just mercilessly berating a weeping Jeb about DRAINAGE and such.

Someone please god make this a gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

She's probably pretty mad at Ailes for siding with Trump over her.

He's not wrong.

• Locked thread