Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What else?

Samfucius: I don't think he's scummy. Here was my note on the first wave of people voting him:
- Early votes on Samfucius look bad. All Samfucius said was posting opinions based on two jokeposts was a waste of time. People jumped all over him for... not wasting time analyzing one-line jokeposts. This is a guy being consistent with his opinion and getting jumped on for it.

From there I haven't really seen anything from him that looks like scum. Samfucius plays like a guy who will go with something if it jumps out to him, but who otherwise isn't too interested in combing through posts looking for subtle meanings. From what I've seen his opinions have been consistent and vocalized. He doesn't express his vote reasons very well but most of them can be inferred by the timing of his posts. I would not want to vote him today.

--------------

Meinberg: Find scummy, would vote. I don't find taking on PRs to be inherently scummy in itself, but the way Meinberg played up and then subsequently abandoned his PR looks very scummy to me. My notes:
- Meinberg scummy for taking on this post restriction only to eventually abandon it. Having used PRs myself as town I can attest that they really aren't much work, the actual work of the game comes from being scum and having to pretend you know what's going on.
- First use of PR mechanic is empty fluff, not much of an attempt to say anyhting about the game beyond merk looks kinda bad.

He's barely posted period, so I don't like how he sorta blames his RP for taking up too much time. Again, it's doing things like reading the thread (and if you're scum, lying about it) that take up time in Mafia, not adding flowery language to your sentences. Forsooth, this scoundrel has misled you with his fine vocabulary for long enough!

--------------

ljtrigirl: Originally I liked some of the points Rarity made on ljtrigirl but I don't think they held up long term. My notes:
- Rarity makes some good points about ljtrigirl buyt it could be explained by new player

So yeah, I think ljtrigirl's play picked up a lot as the game went. Good scumhunting, I can definitely see an experienced player here, and I have a town read.

--------------

Lumpen: Probably my #2 for scum after merk. I think he's made a lot of nonsense posts (like Ecco responding to players ITT clearing them as town, which I know for a fact is not a reliable tell), but his Diqnol vote also stood out to me:
- Bad Lumpen vote on Diqnol. "His case is bad and fake" comes off as hollow to me, there's not much evidence to support it.

Again this is sorta the narrative that Merk began pushing and it's not one I believe in or agree with. Instead of talking about anything Diqnol said with substance, Lumpen just accuses Diqnol of making an OMGUS vote on merk, when Diqnol voted merk before merk had said anything about him. This is scummy and shows Lumpen either isn't reading the thread (scummy) or is voting based on something he should know isn't true (extremely scummy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Pretty much everyone else I'm fairly neutral about, I've already talked about most of the posts that have made a big impression on me. Uhh I guess here's some of my more minor thoughts and observations:

- Hal feels like he's lurking, I didn't much like his big defense post against TMMadman given that he's not done much else in this game. Too much effort on defense, in other words.
- I've never played with Kashuno before but my read here is scummy. Here are my notes on him:
---- Kashuno content hounding early without producing much in the way of his own.
---- "Why do people always think I'm scummy when I'm town" unvote post.
---- Samfucius vote seems a little overblown, like he's trying to disguise a bandwagon vote as a case
- Slight town lean on Keane who while playing spectator style at least has remembered to fade out of it occasionally this game to make real comments

--------------------------

Hope you guys found the wait worth it. My suspicions in rough order:
merk > Lumpen > Meinberg > Kashuno

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

The Ninth Layer posted:

Meinberg: Find scummy, would vote. I don't find taking on PRs to be inherently scummy in itself, but the way Meinberg played up and then subsequently abandoned his PR looks very scummy to me. My notes:
- Meinberg scummy for taking on this post restriction only to eventually abandon it. Having used PRs myself as town I can attest that they really aren't much work, the actual work of the game comes from being scum and having to pretend you know what's going on.
- First use of PR mechanic is empty fluff, not much of an attempt to say anyhting about the game beyond merk looks kinda bad.

He's barely posted period, so I don't like how he sorta blames his RP for taking up too much time. Again, it's doing things like reading the thread (and if you're scum, lying about it) that take up time in Mafia, not adding flowery language to your sentences. Forsooth, this scoundrel has misled you with his fine vocabulary for long enough!

I hadn't thought about this but it makes a lot of sense. Additionally, him abandoning it so quickly feels very self-conscious.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!
I mostly like Ninth's entrance, but the one thing that made me go "eh?" was the inconsistency in the stance on me. Rarity's early pings can be explained by me being new but you think my experience shows through in my posting?

If Meinberg is scum, I really want to look again at all of the people that defended him for being an easy mislynch. That's the kind of deflecting that protects him while being easily "but he's always like that" waved away if he ever flipped evil. I don't think I'd put Rarity in that bucket because coming after me the way she did about Meinberg doesn't feel like a scum pair response. The biggest one that sticks out is actually merk, if I remember right. I think I asked if there was a difference in Mein's scum/not scum play, and he just said no. Subtle, meta based defense that isn't a full on "don't lynch him because he's always like that".

I have no problems with lynching coin flips early.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ljtrigirl posted:

If Meinberg is scum, I really want to look again at all of the people that defended him for being an easy mislynch. That's the kind of deflecting that protects him while being easily "but he's always like that" waved away if he ever flipped evil. I don't think I'd put Rarity in that bucket because coming after me the way she did about Meinberg doesn't feel like a scum pair response. The biggest one that sticks out is actually merk, if I remember right. I think I asked if there was a difference in Mein's scum/not scum play, and he just said no. Subtle, meta based defense that isn't a full on "don't lynch him because he's always like that".

that's a lot of words speculating on the alignment of non-specified people in the event of a hypothetical

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

ljtrigirl posted:

I mostly like Ninth's entrance, but the one thing that made me go "eh?" was the inconsistency in the stance on me. Rarity's early pings can be explained by me being new but you think my experience shows through in my posting?

You're new here.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

Pinterest Mom posted:

that's a lot of words speculating on the alignment of non-specified people in the event of a hypothetical

Not really. I thought I was pretty specific with it. Do you disagree?

It's stuff like this why I feel pretty confident with my Scum!PM read. Just blatant undermining and discrediting without adding anything. You don't see to care about catching scum, just undermining those that do, specifically the ones that think you're evil.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

The Ninth Layer posted:

You're new here.

Ah. That's fair.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hi Ninth, want you to know that even if you are scum I appreciate you making me feel like I'm not losing my mind

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OK, going back for a re-read now. Sorry for not being around much; I was out two nights then sick on Thursday.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ljtrigirl posted:

Not really. I thought I was pretty specific with it. Do you disagree?

It's stuff like this why I feel pretty confident with my Scum!PM read. Just blatant undermining and discrediting without adding anything. You don't see to care about catching scum, just undermining those that do, specifically the ones that think you're evil.

The people who think I'm scum, plural!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hi guys, I'm here for the next 2-3 hours but invariably I will need sleep some time before 4am

Kashuno posted:

I really hate that TMM vote and justifying by saying "I just wanted to see him post more." It's weird.

I'm not seeing the problem people have with this move. Using your vote to pressure someone is a tactic I've used in the past, especially on D1 when early votes hold little in the way of value or threat. Of course, it only works if you present it right and Gamer certainly didn't but like I said, I don't remember him being particularly good at mafia.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Meinberg posted:

I'm going to be away from civilization and all associated electronics until Sunday afternoon. I still feel the most comfortable with my vote right now, but good luck everyone!

If you post this little on D2 then replace out or request a modkill please

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lumpen posted:

But... lj, did the games you previously read on this forum have plurality lynches or majority lynches? Did you never see a deadline scramble? What games did you look at before playing this one?

Lumpen, can you show the post where she says she's read previous games on SA?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Rarity posted:

She talked about reading other games, but then amended it and said she'd just read some of merk's play in another game, not the whole game.

ljtrigirl posted:

Is there a way to go look at a game where he was good? Do you guys have game logs or anything like that?

then later

ljtrigirl posted:

Merk- Why didn't you do the same playstyle that you did in Lady Clarent's game?

Suggesting that she's read at least one other game, but clarified here:

ljtrigirl posted:

I've only read some of merk's posts in isolation from one game. So, no? It does explain the voting/unvoting on one guy a bunch though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ljtrigirl posted:

I think he means it shows through the more the game develops? I'd agree with that, perhaps it's cause you're adapting to the SA style of mafia? You're not exactly off my scumdar but you have slipped a place or two cause of other people doing things more shady.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Pinterest Mom posted:

The people who think I'm scum, plural!

I'm not the only one that's mentioned it.

And I feel like you're doing it intentionally now.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've had a very long day of driving and it's still not over. I should be around for the deadline, but I wouldn't complain if it got moved.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Like, am I crazy? I feel like most people haven't really addressed PM besides her VT claim being standard. Does no one else see this?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Rarity posted:

Mithross quoted what I was going to quote. I found LJtrigirl's clarification plausible.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hmmmmm

:d: I have decided, rather than moving the deadline to Sunday, making it :siren: floating. :siren: The hard deadline is still 11PM EDT tonight (in about 5 hours), but I will deliberately find something else for me to do for a few hours (potentially not even until Saturday early afternoon EDT????????), so don't stress about it too hard.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ljtrigirl posted:

Like, am I crazy? I feel like most people haven't really addressed PM besides her VT claim being standard. Does no one else see this?

Ehhhh, I think it's just PMom. I always think he is scummy but he always turns up as town. I can never make heads or tails of him, so I just kind of read him and then let it go unless it's particularly bad. I let other people who are smarter than me make the case on PMom.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Taking everything into account, I still most want to lynch Hal today but I have a feeling that one's not a goer today. I'd be fine with Meinberg but a lurker lynch doesn't give us much information to work with tomorrow. Of the cases on the table I'm most down with merk and I'd settle for Samfu. I'm not interested in lynching diqnol or Gamer.

Anyone up for a late Lumpen swing?

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

This day is never going to end.

I'm still gone from ~two hours from now through lynch.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ljtrigirl posted:

PMom's a dude :ssh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mithross posted:

She talked about reading other games, but then amended it and said she'd just read some of merk's play in another game, not the whole game.

then later

Suggesting that she's read at least one other game, but clarified here:

Cool, thanks. I was wondering if there was a clear contradiction but that all looks fair.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

TMMadman posted:

Ehhhh, I think it's just PMom. I always think he is scummy but he always turns up as town. I can never make heads or tails of him, so I just kind of read him and then let it go unless it's particularly bad. I let other people who are smarter than me make the case on PMom.

Don't set me up like that. :P

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Rarity posted:

Taking everything into account, I still most want to lynch Hal today but I have a feeling that one's not a goer today. I'd be fine with Meinberg but a lurker lynch doesn't give us much information to work with tomorrow. Of the cases on the table I'm most down with merk and I'd settle for Samfu. I'm not interested in lynching diqnol or Gamer.

Anyone up for a late Lumpen swing?

I'd probably go Meinberg over Lumpen, but I could maybe be convinced to go Lumpen today.

I think I'm against a dinq lynch today. Ambivalent about Gamer.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I still feel like the only person giving me significant enough vibes to want to lynch is diqnol, though I am seeing the cases for others. I'll be around so if I need to move my vote to avoid a no lynch I'll be here for that.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

I still feel like the only person giving me significant enough vibes to want to lynch is diqnol, though I am seeing the cases for others. I'll be around so if I need to move my vote to avoid a no lynch I'll be here for that.

You have 10 words to convince me to lynch diqnol.

Go.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Overagressive case with no actual substance which comes off as defensive flailing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Sorry Vimes LJ only gave you 10

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Kashuno posted:

This is a suspicious post. No content, near deadline, and hasn't posted in hours, from an already lurky player.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hey, lj is really weird about Meinberg

ljtrigirl posted:

Slight evil lean on Keane and whoever that easy mislynch is, evil leans on Lumpen and the other K guy with the Garbage Dick avatar.

She calls Meinberg both scummy and "an easy mislynch" in the same post.

ljtrigirl posted:

Yeah... I kind of want to kill you just because I think I'm going to think you're evil regardless of whether or not you are.

She wants to kill him regardless of alignment.

ljtrigirl posted:

You're pretty much a coin flip, aren't you?

She calls his alignment a "coin flip", which is really empty. On its face, that means he's scummier than most of the thread, but she doesn't really do any effort at casing him. It looks like she's hedging her bets.

ljtrigirl posted:

And here, she treats his dunk as a fait accompli, and spins out an elaborate hypothetical in which people defending Meinberg are scummy, but not Rarity? That is a wack post.

This has been Hey, lj is really weird about Meinberg.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
PMom, who would you be willing to see lynched today and why? Top 3 please.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kashuno posted:

I miscounted. :(

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm at work through the deadline but I think it's going to slow down some point soon and it is then that I'll try to read things over and get more out there than my stance on merk.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'll do some re-reads when I get home in a couple hours. I'm comfortable with my Hal vote, but I can move it.

Regarding the current vote leaders; I'm leaning more towards diqnol in the merk/diqnol dispute. I kind of agree with the ninth layer about Samfu but I'll have to give him another re-read to see if anything jumps out at me. I'm also going to re-read gamer because people keep thinking he's scummy for the vote on me. Since I didn't particularly care for the vote but felt it was an acceptable use of power, I'm going to ignore the vote and focus on his other content.

Does anyone want me to do a re-read on someone else?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Mithross posted:

This is a suspicious post. No content, near deadline, and hasn't posted in hours, from an already lurky player.

It's a joke :(

I'll give more content when I get home. I will be around from then until deadline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TMMadman posted:

I'll do some re-reads when I get home in a couple hours. I'm comfortable with my Hal vote, but I can move it.

Regarding the current vote leaders; I'm leaning more towards diqnol in the merk/diqnol dispute. I kind of agree with the ninth layer about Samfu but I'll have to give him another re-read to see if anything jumps out at me. I'm also going to re-read gamer because people keep thinking he's scummy for the vote on me. Since I didn't particularly care for the vote but felt it was an acceptable use of power, I'm going to ignore the vote and focus on his other content.

Does anyone want me to do a re-read on someone else?

Read Lumpen, please do the needful

• Locked thread