Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Read Lumpen, please do the needful

Actually, this is a good idea because I've kinda been letting him slip along even though he did vote me early. So yes, I'll read Lumpen as well.

Any others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rarity posted:

PMom, who would you be willing to see lynched today and why? Top 3 please.

Sam, gamer, jedit

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pinterest Mom posted:

Sam, gamer, jedit

Rarity posted:

PMom, who would you be willing to see lynched today and why? Top 3 please.

:negative:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I'm not buying that gamer is just bad at mafia. He's scummy because he's not posting opinions, he's just noticing when other people are not posting opinions to his satisfaction.

Like are you guys noticing that Gamer has never once posted why he thinks diqnol is scum? He just keeps saying 'diqnol is scum btw' over and over. I don't see how people are ignoring that.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Kashuno posted:

It's a joke :(

I'll give more content when I get home. I will be around from then until deadline

I understand it's a joke, that wasn't what I was calling scummy. It was the fact that you made a post, one that shows you are watching the thread fairly closely, but haven't been posting otherwise.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

Sam, gamer, jedit

Where did jedit come from? I don't think you've mentioned him at all before now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BottleKnight posted:

I'm not buying that gamer is just bad at mafia. He's scummy because he's not posting opinions, he's just noticing when other people are not posting opinions to his satisfaction.

Like are you guys noticing that Gamer has never once posted why he thinks diqnol is scum? He just keeps saying 'diqnol is scum btw' over and over. I don't see how people are ignoring that.

What do you call this then?

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm not going to read a hell of a lot tho because Disquol (or whatever the gently caress) is poo poo tho

Immediately jumps on strong-player Merk over literally nothing, stays on him the rest of the game thus far. (Admittedly not that long, but) With him largely just discrediting other people's posts and cases with garbage vocabulary plays and criticizing a lack of content.

So is this exchange, which I find great.

"i'm just gonna afk instead of making myself look bad via defending me lol later nerds just forget me"

Trash. Dudes trying to control the narrative of the game by just hounding one person, but it doesn't work cuz he isn't a charismatic bastard and doesn't seem to really have back up.

##vote GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE

Only a pizzaman would disvalue fish so!

The question is, are you just not remembeing stuff or are you trying to misrepresent Gamer on purpose?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Where did jedit come from? I don't think you've mentioned him at all before now.

Look through my post history. He was weighing in during the Diqnol/merk slapfight with opinions that didn't seem genuine.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Maybe don't multi-task your nerd habits? :P

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

Look through my post history. He was weighing in during the Diqnol/merk slapfight with opinions that didn't seem genuine.

Gotcha. Will do that as part of my re-reads.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

What do you call this then?

The question is, are you just not remembeing stuff or are you trying to misrepresent Gamer on purpose?

I skimmed through his posts again and couldn't find this. That'll teach me to ctrl-f.

I will read through his full post history and see if it changes my thoughts.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Mithross posted:

I understand it's a joke, that wasn't what I was calling scummy. It was the fact that you made a post, one that shows you are watching the thread fairly closely, but haven't been posting otherwise.

D1 is not my strong suit, especially in large games its hard for me to get a real confident read. I am watching closely but I can't make heads or tails of a lot of it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BottleKnight posted:

I skimmed through his posts again and couldn't find this. That'll teach me to ctrl-f.

Acceptable answer, I did the same and had to take a second look.

Kashuno posted:

D1 is not my strong suit, especially in large games its hard for me to get a real confident read. I am watching closely but I can't make heads or tails of a lot of it

You too, be better at mafia :mad:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Gamer could you give us your scumreads? Thanks.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c: Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE/Diqnol (4): merk, BK, Samfucius, -merk, -BK, merk, -Samfucius, Lumpen, Gamer, -merk, merk, Samfucius

Samfucius (3): merk, fv, PMom, -merk, merk, -merk, Kashuno, -fv, Hal
Gamerofthegame (3): BK, fv, Meinberg

Hal Incandenza (2): Rarity, TMM
merk (2): Diqnol, -Diqnol, Diqnol, Ninth

Pinterest Mom (1): LJ
TMMadman (1): merk, -merk, Lumpen, QPQ, BK, Gamer, -Lumpen, -BK, -Gamer

SirSamVimes (0): Hal, -Hal
Kashuno (0): TMM, PMom, -PMom, -TMM
Rarity (0): Samfucius, -Samfucius
QPQ (0): jedit, -jedit
CCKeane (0): Kashuno, -Kashuno
ljtrigirl (0): Rarity, Kashuno, -Kashuno, -Rarity
BottleKnight (0): merk, -merkLumpen (0): LJ, -LJ
fiery_valkyrie (0): Diqnol, -Diqnol
Lumpen (0): LJ

Not Voting (5): Keane, EXAKT, Jedit, Mithross, SamVimes

:h: 21 alive, 11 to execute.
:d: Day 1 deadline: Friday, August 21st, ~11PM EDT. That's in about 3 1/2 hours from this post! Note that it is floating.

:gibs:
People who suck at unvoting:
- Lumpen
- Hal Incandenza

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This is a big game and it's confusing me.

Having seen Diqnol's argument in full context with the ability to review, he looks a bit less scummy than he did before when I was mainly reading on my phone in the khazi at work. However, I really don't like his "Look at me, I'm voting merk!" post - it's pinged me harder than anything else so far.

Merk still does not look altogether good to me either. He's been shotgunning accusations and stirring up a mess, plus he went off Diqnol then came back again. That doesn't match the Merk I've played with before, who can be summed up with "dogged". That said, one of the people not in the top 5 that I've looked at is Bottle Knight and I have to agree with Merk that he feels off. I still suspect Merk, but I'm moving away from him a little.

Sam and Hal are both fairly neutral to me right now. I don't see the case on either of them and while I won't be around to read it, I'd appreciate it if someone who is voting for each of them can summarise before deadline.

Gamer is pretty light on content but is not raising my hackles to any great degree. The main case on him seems to be coming from Bottle Knight calling him out for prodding TMM into interaction and criticising Lumpen for suspecting everyone when that's both Lumpen's schtick and a fairly scummy move.

So: Bottle Knight. In addition to his weak case on Gamer, you've got this:

BottleKnight posted:

Are you the de facto mayor? Because we have some corruption to stealthily get away with.

BottleKnight posted:

I can see how you might think it was rolefishing if mayor was a role? I've never heard of it. I thought the corruption part gave away that it was a joke!

TMM called this out as rolefishing, and I think he's right. BK backpedals from it, but shortly after tries to justify suspecting the existence of the role he's never heard of by questioning Ecco's vote rules:

BottleKnight posted:

hmmmm weird!

but I would almost guarantee there being a multivoter based on Ecco specifically bringing back the weird vote rules. I don't believe she's used it her last few games iirc?

This guy knows something he shouldn't, and he doesn't want us to think that he does. On that basis he's probably not scum unless the scum team has been made weak but with some foreknowledge to balance that, but I strongly suspect he's 3P and I can't believe his intentions are pro-Town.

##vote Bottle Knight

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Here til deadline

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm crashing hard so putting my vote where I think it'll be most useful. We'll see if things are still going when I wake up.

[b]##vote merk

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well that went horribly wrong.

Also ##unvote

##vote merk

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Jedit posted:

Gamer is pretty light on content but is not raising my hackles to any great degree. The main case on him seems to be coming from Bottle Knight calling him out for prodding TMM into interaction and criticising Lumpen for suspecting everyone when that's both Lumpen's schtick and a fairly scummy move.

f_v also posted case within minutes of me, so there are two 'main cases.'

Jedit posted:

TMM called this out as rolefishing, and I think he's right. BK backpedals from it, but shortly after tries to justify suspecting the existence of the role he's never heard of by questioning Ecco's vote rules:

I don't know how to really respond to this. I posted what happened. If you don't believe me, you don't believe me.

Jedit posted:

This guy knows something he shouldn't, and he doesn't want us to think that he does. On that basis he's probably not scum unless the scum team has been made weak but with some foreknowledge to balance that, but I strongly suspect he's 3P and I can't believe his intentions are pro-Town.

##vote Bottle Knight

This is some very interesting setup spec. What do you mean by the bolded sentence? I find it to be a crazy stretch for you to go from those posts to 3P.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Reminder that deadline got floated to sunday, worry less

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

To possibly Sunday. We're floating as of two hours from now (I think).

If the day hasn't ended in the morning I'll look at FV's case on Gamer, but now I must go to bed - it's 1am and I need to be in town tomorrow by 10am.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Jedit posted:

To possibly Sunday. We're floating as of two hours from now (I think).

If the day hasn't ended in the morning I'll look at FV's case on Gamer, but now I must go to bed - it's 1am and I need to be in town tomorrow by 10am.

Also please answer my question, then, I guess.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

BottleKnight posted:

Gamer could you give us your scumreads? Thanks.

As it stands my scumreads really are "Diqnol is a strong scum read due to previously established reasons" and "I don't think next vote-dude Samfu's posting is scummy and disagree with the cases provided on him."

If we're to get down to it I find BK weirdly disengaged for thinking I'm scummy. Like "Hey where's any of his cases guys? Alright I posted later." I agree with Jedit, but I still think Diqnol is a more solid read.

Otherwise it's a lot of nulls.

Rarity posted:

You too, be better at mafia :mad:

DAY ONE IS AWFUL

ESPECIALLY IN BIG GAMES OKAY

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gamerofthegame posted:

Well, I think it just got floated, not officially set for Sunday.

I just got home and I'll be eating soon and then doing some re-reads.

However, I will say I agree with BK here:

BottleKnight posted:

This is some very interesting setup spec. What do you mean by the bolded sentence? I find it to be a crazy stretch for you to go from those posts to 3P.

Even as someone who likes setup spec, I think that's a pretty weird stretch to make on D1 with no information to go on. I think I can see how Jedit made it onto PMoms list, but I'll have to read some more.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jedit posted:

You think "knows something he shouldn't" is a better explanation for that post than "noticed Ecco's clarification of voting rules, speculated on it"?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

hi guys, i am still catching up and think i may have read diqnol wrong

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Did I exert extra effort because of what I said before? Yeah, I suppose that's true. I also think everything I said there is correct and that your BK case and subsequent turn on me after I called it bad portray a scum mind.

don;t like this post. #walkback, #unnecessary_explanation

Question to all of you: how can one "be scummy" if one is not scum? Did you mean to say "seemed scummy" when you said this or are you being hyperbolic?

Semantics are often important when considering someone's intent. I'm glad this point was lost on you.

hella dumb and distracting,

Sometimes it isn't what a person says but how they say it. Look at the way Sam is saying he's suspicious of us; he falls over himself to say he would be willing to vote for me while expressing suspicion of another. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having two suspicions. He was broadcasting it.

hyperbolic and hypocritical

Ready to admit your case on BK is bad yet?

redirecting

There's this cool technique a person can do where they make a lot of noise on d1 and draw a lot of attention and votes to themselves and by doing so they have the ability to ignore a lot of d1's posts and still end up getting decent reads well thats my story bye

passive aggressive guilting

Oh, well, actually, it is. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

I'm going to do a report card for everyone in this thread if someone will remind me. On it will be how many times someone was right and how many times they were wrong, culminating in a letter grade. Keane will doubtlessly get a B-.

what is the point of this post

Lumpen, I would like you to concisely state why you find me to be scum. Use as few words as possible and bring to light the content you dislike and exactly why rather than speaking in generalities. This may be a challenge.

flailing, deliberately trying to provoke a fight

If it helps right before I made the going down post I had gotten in a really bad fight with someone close to me and I was really loving angry in general, so if anything, it was the realest thing I've posted in this thread. But of course you have no reason to believe that until the game is over.

I was voting for merk before he was voting for me. My case explains my issues with merk. The theory you're pushing that I'm scared of merk is hilarious. I once kept merk alive for an entire game as scum just to prove I could. I did, in fact, win that game and survived to the end.

I always respond to posts about me. Ask anyone.

You're making these terrible assumptions and acting as though they are fact without any basis in reality, I feel, but I have seen you make such arguments on both sides of the pond. The fact is that I am trying to feel you out still. Gun to my head? Scum.

dont care. post still reads bad

merk, i remember you once said that you would not stop voting me until you died and I can't remember if you were town or scum that game. Do you remember? Don't lie, please.

what is this even???????? what are you doing?

It's a crime to be unsure? You asked me directly so it'd be lovely to lie and say I'm sure when I'm not.

yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh... no.

##unvote

##vote: Diq

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

It's definitely not a meltdown. I don't think you know what a meltdown is. I'm sitting here with a smirk on my face.

its definitely a meltdown lightly drizzled in smugness

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

hi guys, i am still catching up and think i may have read diqnol wrong

don;t like this post. #walkback, #unnecessary_explanation

hella dumb and distracting,

hyperbolic and hypocritical

redirecting

passive aggressive guilting

what is the point of this post

flailing, deliberately trying to provoke a fight

dont care. post still reads bad

what is this even???????? what are you doing?

yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh... no.

##unvote

##vote: Diq

This is a horribly dumb post, are you sure you aren't just tired and extra dopey?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

This is a horribly dumb post, are you sure you aren't just tired and extra dopey?

i dont think so!

can you tell me why its dumb diqnol?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If you honest to god need me to reply to your points I will but you didn't explain anything that looked scummy at all, you used a lot of buzzwords without explaining what you meant, and you complained about a lot of stuff that nobody cares about because it's not mafia.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Re-evaluate, please. Don't just latch onto me because merk asked you to ;)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

ANYWAY, work has slowed down a bit so it's time for me to get to it, innit

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lumpen posted:

I take this claim as likely true, and likely Town.

lmao how did I miss this post

Lumpen is completely and utterly full of poo poo.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i dont really need merk's posts when every single post after your big merk case (1) is you spinning your wheels. your posting doesn't lead anywhere and it provides no deeper understanding of the game. all i get in the latter half of your posts is a sense of blind aggression. its frustrating to read because there's few reads or actual substance to them. i dont feel a need to respond to your posts with any more than one or two words because that is all they deserve.

you are a distraction. i was willing to to go to bat for you early on, but you've failed to follow up.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I haven't been hunting too much so far, QPQ, beyond the read I am supremely confident in. That is what I am trying to do now, though it will take me time to complete my re-read. I don't see how any of that makes me scum, though! That is what makes your post especially silly to me - that you didn't cite anything that seemed scummy, it was you just complaining at me and throwing a vote on at the end. It's almost like, well, you're trying to play on emotion rather than fact?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

QuoProQuid posted:

i dont really need merk's posts when every single post after your big merk case (1) is you spinning your wheels. your posting doesn't lead anywhere and it provides no deeper understanding of the game. all i get in the latter half of your posts is a sense of blind aggression. its frustrating to read because there's few reads or actual substance to them. i dont feel a need to respond to your posts with any more than one or two words because that is all they deserve.

you are a distraction. i was willing to to go to bat for you early on, but you've failed to follow up.

MAFIA EDIT: To be more articulate for a moment, it reads like you have run out of steam. You blew your load casing merk and are now struggling to find additional reads to supplement it. In lieu of content, you've resorted to a staggering amount of insults. I guess some of these could be construed as reads but, like I said, they don't go anywhere and there is no clear direction to them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

QuoProQuid posted:

MAFIA EDIT: To be more articulate for a moment, it reads like you have run out of steam. You blew your load casing merk and are now struggling to find additional reads to supplement it. In lieu of content, you've resorted to a staggering amount of insults. I guess some of these could be construed as reads but, like I said, they don't go anywhere and there is no clear direction to them.

MAFIA EDIT x2: And in my personal experience, I've found that scum are often far more willing to get nasty than town as it is a good way to deflect attention. I could be misremembering your post style, but I don't remember you acting this aggressively in the past. Your general attitude leaves me with a very negative ~~~vibe~~~~, especially when read in one big sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

MAFIA EDIT x2: And in my personal experience, I've found that scum are often far more willing to get nasty than town as it is a good way to deflect attention. I could be misremembering your post style, but I don't remember you acting this aggressively in the past. Your general attitude leaves me with a very negative ~~~vibe~~~~, especially when read in one big sequence.

It's not that you're wrong about my negativity, but you are absolutely wrong about me ever being nice. I go on and off with being kind to people in mafia games but I'm generally very aggressive and utilize emotions to determine intent. I definitely have hunted and made reads since my big merk post but that's not to say that I've made hunting my top priority as merk seems convincingly scum to me. I hunt still because there's always the possibility one is wrong in these games and so it'd be a waste of time to hang onto one case to the exclusion of all else. If you think I'm scum, fine, but I'd like you to better explain why. Even these mafia edits do little to explain why you feel I'm scum. They read far more like you're disappointed in what I've brought to the table (fair) and that you dislike how abrasive I am (fair).

• Locked thread