Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

cravius posted:

Why do you need this thing? I don't understand how you could possibly see utility in it.

What are you trying to say exactly :crossarms:

E;:snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

It's actually very common for handguns to be used for hunting, target shooting, and fast-paced shooting competitions like IPSC.
Sometimes when you're shooting up a mall of school your rifle jams and you need a backup too.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
This is the most pathetic comparison, but this attack is like Gone Girl where the woman explains that she's framing her husband for murder to get revenge for patriarchy. But non-MRAs are able to see past the bullshit and say no, lady. You're a narcissistic sociopath looking for justification after the fact.

E: Nice thread icon switcheroo

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
If my hobbies were enabling murderers I'd get better hobbies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DOOP posted:

In non-gun news, some of the names on the witness list for Chaka Fatah's trial include

Ed Rendell
Bob Casey
William Sasso (big time GOP donor)
Ron Kirk (US Trade Rep)
Ted Deutch (D-FL) !?

:911:

Please tell me that's the sometimes funny MAD TV Will Sasso.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Talmonis posted:

A lot of people actually need protection in their line of work. Certain kinds of lawyers for instance. People who perform evictions or repossession. Police need them solely due to the public already having so many. Anyone who transports money/gems.

My point exactly. Why should we ban things because a section if the population thinks that you don't need to have it? Need is a very relative concept.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Talmonis posted:

A lot of people actually need protection in their line of work. Certain kinds of lawyers for instance. People who perform evictions or repossession. Police need them solely due to the public already having so many. Anyone who transports money/gems.

Add reporters to that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cravius posted:

My point exactly. Why should we ban things because a section if the population thinks that you don't need to have it? Need is a very relative concept.

Hell, better not ban anything ever again I guess.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

An Angry Bug posted:

If my hobbies were enabling murderers I'd get better hobbies.

Oh, I'm sure they are one way or another.

:smith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This sounds like a perfect time for North Dakota to legalize police taserdrones.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

cravius posted:

In Europe the people that need guns for their work have them and the rest of the populace doesn't tho.. But oh well gunchat :doh:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Cool, they sound like a good less lethal incapacitation that can keep officers out of harms way.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Hell, better not ban anything ever again I guess.

No, but passing laws banning anything should have a better justification than "why do you need that?"

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Talmonis posted:

"Needing a gun for work" is different from "needing a gun to have it."

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

cravius posted:

Not really. The vast majority have no business owning or carrying a handgun, and are a danger to themselves and others by doing so. It should require a license to purchase or carry one. One that would make drat sure you knew what you were doing, and could prove an actual need for it.

Regardless, it is impossible to change the legal status of firearms, and the point is moot.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

"Needing a gun for work" is different from "needing a gun to have it."
Very true.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cyberpunk is back, and in a big way

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Teflon Don posted:

The only way to stop a bad drone with a taser is a good guy with a broken microwave.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

chitoryu12 posted:

It's actually very common for handguns to be used for hunting, target shooting, and fast-paced shooting competitions like IPSC.

Handgun hunting is just the oddest drat thing.

I can understand the skill that goes into it and the draw of needing to be close to the animal to take it but it is still strange, especially because many of the things being hunted can absolutely gently caress you up and aren't something you generally want to get near.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Teflon Don posted:

It never left.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I want an anti-drone drone.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Believe me, if not for the proliferation of illegal handguns, most gunowners wouldn't feel the need to carry. But, as has been acknowledged, Pandora's box is already open and there's really no going back.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Drones that grab people's guns and eat them, each one personally signed by Obama.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cravius posted:

No, but passing laws banning anything should have a better justification than "why do you need that?"

Yeah, well I can't think of a single reason for banning guns besides I don't think they're necessary, so I guess the NRA wins again.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

The only thing more annoying than claims that a shooting are false flags or blaming it on "libtards" are the people whose knee-jerk response to every murder is to copy and paste the same passive-aggressive "NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO TALK ABOUT GUNS" stuff until they flood the first page of the incident with it.

Man if we gotta wait till all the bodies are cold before we can talk about gun control then we are going to have to wait a very long time.

zoux posted:

Home defense, slippery slope, 2nd Amendment.

If you pay attention to gun memes, apparently shotguns are made for home defense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait I thought of one.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Handgun hunting is just the oddest drat thing.

I can understand the skill that goes into it and the draw of needing to be close to the animal to take it but it is still strange, especially because many of the things being hunted can absolutely gently caress you up and aren't something you generally want to get near.

Isn't that danger part of the appeal as well?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Stop being a coward and use a spear or bow like your ancestors did. You want to kill an animal, it deserves a shot at killing you instead.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

An Angry Bug posted:

Stop being a coward and use a spear or bow like your ancestors did. You want to kill an animal, it deserves a shot at killing you instead.

Our ancestors were actually all about industrial hunting. If they'd had AKs they'd have been mowing down animals like nothing. Plus we already restrict a lot of the *really* unfair weapons like punt guns. :ssh:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Every time people talk about how you absolutely don't ever need guns I just think of the stories from people talking about using guns to defend themselves. Some of those stories don't involve using guns, but most do and I just read them thinking about how all of those people would have been doomed to those horrible experiences or being murdered if they weren't able to defend themselves. The Command and Conquer one is particularly disturbing.

Fun thing to think about! The vast majority of people who are killed with a firearm in America have criminal records! If you're not a young black male and don't have a criminal record you have a vanishingly small chance of being a firearm homicide victim. But let the media whip up the hysteria and frenzy.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Brannock posted:

Fun thing to think about! The vast majority of people who are killed with a firearm in America have criminal records! If you're not a young black male and don't have a criminal record you have a vanishingly small chance of being a firearm homicide victim. But let the media whip up the hysteria and frenzy.

I would prefer less people to be killed with firearms in general, thanks.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
What couldn't find a relevant article on Stormfront?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Brannock posted:

:lol:

Ok friend, I guess everything is alright after all. Those people probably deserved it anyway.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Brannock posted:

I'm sorry, do you think this is an argument against gun control?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
The universe is random, cruel and insane. Owning a gun won't protect you from that. If anything it just makes your death by gun more likely. Existence is a dark comedy, not an action movie.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Why don't we do something that'd really help reduce this sort of thing, and improve treatment for mental illness?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Brannock seems to think that the only reason to be for gun control is if you personally are afraid of being shot to death. Empathy does not exist. Vote Ron Paul.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

CNN went back on their thing and are going to show the shooting footage once per hour.

CNN is the worst network on television. At least Fox and MSNBC are just disingenuous shills.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Warcabbit posted:

Why don't we do something that'd really help reduce this sort of thing, and improve treatment for mental illness?
Because the people in power don't care about other people sufficiently, and the system provides perverse incentives to not care.

How are u posted:

Brannock seems to think that the only reason to be for gun control is if you personally are afraid of being shot to death. Empathy does not exist. Vote Ron Paul.
We're just extras in his action movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Warcabbit posted:

That costs money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Brannock, please. This isn't the right time to defend gun ownership. Two people are dead.

• Locked thread