Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I support useful policy, not kneejerk legislation, thank you.

Improved gun control does need to happen, and we could probably do without most of the handguns we have floating around in the country, but pretending like you're actually facing a real risk of being shot in your day-to-day life in America is nonsense if you aren't a criminal. You're letting media hysteria frighten and terrify you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

zoux posted:

Wait I thought of one.

Why the gently caress is this a line graph. Why are there two y-axes for continuous variables that could be plotted against one another. Why are these eight countries included and not any of the other 187. Why choose two colors that are so similar when you already have differently-shaped data points that are also stupidly similar.

So many questions about why this graph is so terrible. :psyduck:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

Well, since those things are way more valuable than human lives, I see the strength of the argument.

"Give me one good reason why you should have this thing."

*gives multiple legitimate, non-lethal uses for this thing*

"ARE YOU SAYING HUMAN LIVES ARE WORTHLESS? :stonk:"

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

Why don't we do something that'd really help reduce this sort of thing, and improve treatment for mental illness?

I agree we desperately need to improve mental healthcare, but I don't see how that would have helped in this specific case. How could this guy have been forced into treatment? I don't see him turning himself in.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Active shooters of unarmed people is a constant problem, regardless of how small it is statistically in comparison to young black men being killed (as if that isn't also a gun problem). Blaming the media for reporting on it, rather than pretending it doesn't exist, might help certain narratives but won't help preventing it from happening.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm sorry, do you think this is an argument against gun control?

It's an argument against enacting gun control based on outliers like this. Honestly, this kind of thing is why I no longer support gun control, and prefer social/economic welfare and mental illness treatment as means of reducing crime and gun death. Happily, this does not change my voting pattern at all.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Talmonis posted:

A lot of people actually need protection in their line of work. Certain kinds of lawyers for instance. People who perform evictions or repossession. Police need them solely due to the public already having so many. Anyone who transports money/gems.

I don't know, I think they'd look a lot cooler with Uzis strapped to their bodies or something rather than a handgun hidden somewhere on their person.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm saying handguns should be banned. And all guns too and the Second Amendment should be repealed as well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Brannock posted:

Improved gun control does need to happen, and we could probably do without most of the handguns we have floating around in the country, but pretending like you're actually facing a real risk of being shot in your day-to-day life in America is nonsense if you aren't a criminal. You're letting media hysteria frighten and terrify you.

We're not frightened, we're angry.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Warcabbit posted:

Why don't we do something that'd really help reduce this sort of thing, and improve treatment for mental illness?

Well we'd have to raise taxes somewhere down the line and gently caress, YOU I GOT MINE RIGHT HERE MOTHERFUCKER.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Well, a drone can't pull the wrong gun by accident, at least.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

How about this, there are no good reasons to own guns. Period.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

chitoryu12 posted:

Wait, back up. Did I miss someone explaining how to use a gun as a can opener or something?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

I'm saying handguns should be banned. And all guns too and the Second Amendment should be repealed as well.

Exactly how many countries have legislation banning civilian ownership of all firearms?

I know the answer. I want to see if you know it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly how many countries have legislation banning civilian ownership of all firearms?

I know the answer. I want to see if you know it.

I don't give a poo poo.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mulva posted:

How about this, there are no good reasons to own guns. Period.

Here are some:

Brannock posted:

Every time people talk about how you absolutely don't ever need guns I just think of the stories from people talking about using guns to defend themselves. Some of those stories don't involve using guns, but most do and I just read them thinking about how all of those people would have been doomed to those horrible experiences or being murdered if they weren't able to defend themselves. The Command and Conquer one is particularly disturbing.

Oh, also, I like that I got accused of being an empathy-free robot for writing that post. :ironicat:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Being a coward is not a good reason.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Job loss is an even bigger trigger for this sort of thing. How to fix both that and the mental health issue are beyond my pay grade.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
If your citation is Reddit, welp.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
As a strict constitutionalist I believe everyone in the US has the right to carry any guns made in 1791 or before. Ban everything else.

Lets see some fucker try and shoot up a cinema armed only with a muzzle loader.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

Fun thing to think about! The vast majority of people who are killed with a firearm in America have criminal records! If you're not a young black male and don't have a criminal record you have a vanishingly small chance of being a firearm homicide victim. But let the media whip up the hysteria and frenzy.

actually the majority of people who are killed with a firearm in america are middle aged white males who commit suicide, which is why i think any effort to restrict gun ownership is ultimately regressive

there are a lot of young male persons of color killed by homicide but there are even more older white men who shoot themselves every day, let alone veterans etc.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Popular Thug Drink posted:

actually the majority of people who are killed with a firearm in america are middle aged white males who commit suicide, which is why i think any effort to restrict gun ownership is ultimately regressive

Sounds like the problem should work itself out then.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I saw a black person once and now I need to equip my bedroom with an M2 machine gun

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Maybe the truth is somewhere... Bahahahaha.

As someone who wants to take driving away from the general public because it results in too many needless deaths I am going to be hard to convince people need military arms ~because~

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RuanGacho posted:

Maybe the truth is somewhere... Bahahahaha.

As someone who wants to take driving away from the general public because it results in too many needless deaths I am going to be hard to convince people need military arms ~because~

given how often people commit suicide with firearms i don't see why we would want to restrict people's capacity to choose a relatively instant and painless death. gun control is just inhibiting people's ability to choose self-determination

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

An Angry Bug posted:

Being a coward is not a good reason.

Congratulations! You just called victims of horrific crimes and brutal rapes "cowards"!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Brannock posted:

If a shooting happens every few weeks, all legislation becomes kneejerk!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Brannock posted:

Here are some:

Anecdotes aren't data.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Brannock posted:

This sort of bullshit has happened so many times it would be disingenuous to call it 'knee-jerk'.

Brannock posted:

Oh hey guys its no big deal if someone is murdered if they had a criminal record. Didn't you know that being convicted of a crime at any point in the past makes it OK if you are murdered? It probably really isn't even murder at that point. Stop listening to media hysteria.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

I had a legit fear of being shot when I went to see Straight Out of Compton, but when I cases the parking lot, I didn't see any confederate flags, so I deemed it safe.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

4 Unarmed travelers jumped a guy with an AK in the Thalys and got Knighted by President Hollande. gently caress off with those stupid guns imo.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Brannock posted:

Fun thing to think about! The vast majority of people who are killed with a firearm in America have criminal records! If you're not a young black male and don't have a criminal record you have a vanishingly small chance of being a firearm homicide victim. But let the media whip up the hysteria and frenzy.
well, there is also a whole category of 'women trying to leave their abusive partners' 'and the women's children'.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a useful policy: ban guns and confiscate them from their owners and break them in front of them and collect their tears to mitigate drought conditions brought about by climate change.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Brannock posted:

Congratulations! You just called victims of horrific crimes and brutal rapes "cowards"!

Well according to Trump at the very least they would be losers.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mulva posted:

Anecdotes aren't data.

Good thing the question you asked was about reasons. If we want to discuss data then we can talk about how the vast majority of firearm homicide victims are of a cohort that is overwhelmingly unlikely to include white liberals who hand-wring about the prospect that some insane Republican is going to burst into their sidewalk cafes and execute them with assault rifles.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Popular Thug Drink posted:

given how often people commit suicide with firearms i don't see why we would want to restrict people's capacity to choose a relatively instant and painless death. gun control is just inhibiting people's ability to choose self-determination

Help the Poe's law monster has me in its jaws and it smells funny like its been eating texmex!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brannock posted:

Good thing the question you asked was about reasons. If we want to discuss data then we can talk about how firearm homicide victims are of a cohort that is overwhelmingly unlikely to include white liberals who hand-wring about the prospect that some insane Republican is going to burst into their sidewalk cafes and execute them with assault rifles.

I also care about people who are not me being murdered.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Brannock posted:

Good thing the question you asked was about reasons. If we want to discuss data then we can talk about how the vast majority of firearm homicide victims are of a cohort that is overwhelmingly unlikely to include white liberals who hand-wring about the prospect that some insane Republican is going to burst into their sidewalk cafes and execute them with assault rifles.

I think your personal calendar is leaking into USPol.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Brannock posted:

He sure did!

Any other poo poo to spew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

DeusExMachinima posted:

Not joking. Rights have limits. If news reports about shootings are part of what's helping people to get shot, either you care about people getting shot or you don't. So make up your mind.

efb by duz

Don't, then. Having answered your extremely stark contrast question, could I get a list of the topics that won't be censored in your brave new world (as I'd imagine it'll be shorter than a list of what will)? I can guarantee you that whatever isn't initially subject to censorship will be sooner rather than later when some other rear end in a top hat kills people over it. Giving pieces of poo poo like this dude power by letting them negatively influence how we do things is a poor choice.

• Locked thread