Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Brannock posted:

Every time people talk about how you absolutely don't ever need guns I just think about people who used them for self defense instead of all the people who have been murdered by them.

But when I do think about people being murdered by guns, I then think about how they have had a criminal record at one point so it's no big deal anyway. Just media hysteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Gun confiscation would lead to an honest to god civil war and terrorist insurgency. I'd rather not have armed lunatics murdering unarmed people they manage to catch for being suspected "gun grabbers".

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Brannock posted:

Congratulations! You just called victims of horrific crimes and brutal rapes "cowards"!

Nah, just you.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
I do enjoy when right-wingers bitch about gun deaths being "used to advance an agenda" as if gun murders are purely incidental to the whole idea of gun control. Liberals just hate guns for no reason and want to spoil your redneck fun, the murders are just an unrelated thing used to score the occasional point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reporter, Cameraman Murdered: "Oh No My Guns!" Think Nation's Shitheads.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

Good thing the question you asked was about reasons. If we want to discuss data then we can talk about how the vast majority of firearm homicide victims are of a cohort that is overwhelmingly unlikely to include white liberals who hand-wring about the prospect that some insane Republican is going to burst into their sidewalk cafes and execute them with assault rifles.

this is equally true of strapped up old white guys who fear 'muggers' but are far more likely to blow a hole in their own leg standing in line at the picadilly

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I also care about people who are not me being murdered.

I do, too, which is why I support improved regulations on firearm ownership in America, along with a higher minimum wage, desegregating neighborhoods, improved access to healthcare and mental care, ending the War on Drugs, and sundry other fixes to our social network in America, all and each of which will have a far more dramatic effect on the homicide rate than improved regulation on firearm ownership.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Bunleigh posted:

I do enjoy when right-wingers bitch about gun deaths being "used to advance an agenda" as if gun murders are purely incidental to the whole idea of gun control. Liberals just hate guns for no reason and want to spoil your redneck fun, the murders are just an unrelated thing used to score the occasional point.

Also interesting when TFR floods D&D only after someone murders people with a gun.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

An Angry Bug posted:

Nah, just you.

I don't own any guns and I'm also not terrified of the slim statistical probability of being shot when I go out in my day-to-day life, so I think it's safe to say I'm not a coward.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

zoux posted:

CNN will now go live to pictures of people milling about looking for the most informed take on event they were recently in proximity of.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBOk1SnQ8uU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think, that murder is bad

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

zoux posted:

Here's a useful policy: ban guns and confiscate them from their owners and break them in front of them and collect their tears to mitigate drought conditions brought about by climate change.
All our most useful social policy has been authored by our desire to slight people we disagree with.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Republicans: Why have gun control? People are just going to get guns anyways.
Also Republicans: aBORTION MUST BE ILLEGAL OR ELSE ALL THE WOMEN ARE GOING TO START KILLING BABIES.
Me: *looks into camera like I'm on the Office*

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Peztopiary posted:

Don't, then. Having answered your extremely stark contrast question, could I get a list of the topics that won't be censored in your brave new world (as I'd imagine it'll be shorter than a list of what will)? I can guarantee you that whatever isn't initially subject to censorship will be sooner rather than later when some other rear end in a top hat kills people over it. Giving pieces of poo poo like this dude power by letting them negatively influence how we do things is a poor choice.

Someone gets murdered and the first thing you think is "Oh no not my rights!"

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Brannock posted:

I do, too, which is why I support improved regulations on firearm ownership in America, along with a higher minimum wage, desegregating neighborhoods, improved access to healthcare and mental care, ending the War on Drugs, and sundry other fixes to our social network in America, all and each of which will have a far more dramatic effect on the homicide rate than improved regulation on firearm ownership.

That's great, but improved regulations on firearm ownership could (in theory) be enacted tomorrow, while all the other things you mentioned are going to take decades to bear enough fruit to impact gun violence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

All our most useful social policy has been authored by our desire to slight people we disagree with.

Nah the schadenfreude is just a side benefit of the sharp decrease in violent crime and suicides we'd see from a total gun ban.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Nah the schadenfreude is just a side benefit of the sharp decrease in violent crime and suicides we'd see from a total gun ban.

i still don't see why you'd want to reduce the suicide rate among white men aged 40+ and veterans. they have rights too ya'know

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AfroLine posted:

Republicans: Why have gun control? People are just going to get guns anyways.
Also Republicans: aBORTION MUST BE ILLEGAL OR ELSE ALL THE WOMEN ARE GOING TO START KILLING BABIES.
Me: *looks into camera like I'm on the Office*

The real murderers are the health clinics, only legislation and law can stop them!

Except for those gun crimes. Nothing stops that.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

zoux posted:

this isn't a credible stance if you're going to use this and any other media incident involving guns as an immediate opportunity to insist we have a SERIOUS CONVERSATION ABOUT GUNS: SPECIFICALLY WHY THEY SHOULD BE ABOLISHED FOREVER

because you know, that's a position that people might want to respond to

why are you so opposed to people wanting to participate in a conversation re: guns immediately after a shooting?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Brannock posted:

I don't own any guns and I'm also not terrified of the slim statistical probability of being shot when I go out in my day-to-day life, so I think it's safe to say I'm not a coward.

lol why would you willingly patsy for the nra if you dont even get to wave guns around, thats half the fun

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
If you think about it, the real victim here was the quality of posting in the USPOL August thread.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

maybe it's is not a gun issue but mental health???

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gunman's dead according to MSNBC.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AfroLine posted:

maybe it's is not a gun issue but mental health???

crazy people also have the right to self defense, including defending themselves from themselves if necessary

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Quorum posted:

If you think about it, the real victim here was the quality of posting in the USPOL August thread.

Which is surprising since I've been posting here since before this mess.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

A minority of killers will find a way to kill without guns, this is true. It probably wouldn't hurt if we banned news orgs from "covering" this poo poo 24/7 aka immortalizing the shooters. In addition to the other stuff we need to do.

Your "rights" are not more important than lives.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
His manifesto leaked.

Yeah, I'd say that there was a definite mental health angle.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brannock posted:

I support useful policy, not kneejerk legislation, thank you.

Improved gun control does need to happen, and we could probably do without most of the handguns we have floating around in the country, but pretending like you're actually facing a real risk of being shot in your day-to-day life in America is nonsense if you aren't a criminal. You're letting media hysteria frighten and terrify you.

You can't just call any legislation "knee-jerk policy" on calendar proximity to a shooting, otherwise all legislation would fall under that name. What would be an appropriate "cooling-off" period, as it were, between murder and drafting a bill?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DeusExMachinima posted:

A minority of killers will find a way to kill without guns, this is true. It probably wouldn't hurt if we banned news orgs from "covering" this poo poo 24/7 aka immortalizing the shooters. In addition to the other stuff we need to do.

What about the quality of my life if I can't get more guns? I might as well be dead.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone blamed this latest violence on #blacklivesmatter yet?

Guns don't kill people, poor access to mental healthcare and a cultural stigma against psychotherapy in America's black community kills people.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Guns are cool and good. A better solution would be to ban news.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

DeusExMachinima posted:

Someone gets murdered and the first thing you think is "Oh no not my rights!"

Actually, the first thing I thought was "That's terrible." Would it be fair of me to state that the first thing you thought was "Finally, an excuse to make the world conform to my beliefs!" or is your basic humanity to be taken as a given?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe if we met halfway and only banned accurate guns.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

What about the quality of my life if I can't get more guns? I might as well be dead.

It's really funny how "leftists" make these jokes about the 2nd Amendment, but when the exact same question gets asked about why you need the ability to immortalize killers and/or support Nazism it becomes all "oh no my 1A rights!"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zeroisanumber posted:

His manifesto leaked.

People are dead because he didn't like the quality of calamari?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

DolphinCop posted:

lol why would you willingly patsy for the nra if you dont even get to wave guns around, thats half the fun

The NRA is a garbage organization.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Ah, here we can observe the leftist horseshoeing toward totalitarianism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

People are dead because he didn't like the quality of calamari?

Also no one in customer service was nice to him, except for his bank.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Hearing that the shooter just died in the hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

His manifesto leaked.

I'm immediately unnerved because this reads like something that would normally be posted in the Idiots on Social Media thread, just significantly longer.

• Locked thread