Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Canemacar posted:

I've got an itch that needs scratching. I've been wanting to play a good sci-fi game, but most of the ones I see on Steam are FPS or RTS. Not really what I'm looking for. I'm more interested in exploring alien environments and soaking in the atmosphere than blasting bad guys. Building an outpost or something sounds like fun. The only game I've seen that seems up that alley is Empyrion, but it's still an early access game. I've also heard of Elite: Dangerous, but wasn't there some internet drama about that game that I would want to steer clear of?

Space Engineers is kinda-sorta slowly getting there. They don't have planets yet, but they are due in a few weeks at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Canemacar posted:

I've also heard of Elite: Dangerous, but wasn't there some internet drama about that game that I would want to steer clear of?

I don't believe Elite had any drama other than the fact that its always-online, you might be thinking of Star Citizen. If you want to explore alien environments then you might enjoy games like Starbound or Nom Nom Galaxy (Wherein you exploit an alien planet to make soup). Mirrormoon EP looks cool too.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

grate deceiver posted:

Crusader Kings 2 - Similar as above, but it's a character-driven grand strategy mapgame. Start as a count in some medieval shithole, and work your way to becoming the Byzantine Emperor / Fylkir of Scandinavia / Great Khan / black zoroastrian mongol ruler of the world. Huge potential for behind the scenes intrigue and fuckery. Everything you do affects the world and the AI agents work off more or less the same rules as you.

Seconding CK2. And if you ever get bored of playing with the historical characters, you can get mods that change the setting to Tamriel, a post-apocalyptic United States, or even space.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm looking for a sim space game. I've played the classics (X and TIE Fighter and sequels, Freespace, Dark Star One, etc...) I'm looking more towards the dogfighting side rather than the Elite/X series part (although I don't mind some ship upgrading/trading).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Enemy Starfighter (SA thread) isn't out yet and probably won't be for a little while due to its development team of one, but when it does get released it looks like it will be what you're looking for.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Canemacar posted:

I've got an itch that needs scratching. I've been wanting to play a good sci-fi game, but most of the ones I see on Steam are FPS or RTS. Not really what I'm looking for. I'm more interested in exploring alien environments and soaking in the atmosphere than blasting bad guys. Building an outpost or something sounds like fun. The only game I've seen that seems up that alley is Empyrion, but it's still an early access game. I've also heard of Elite: Dangerous, but wasn't there some internet drama about that game that I would want to steer clear of?

Look into Maia. It's still Early Access (and seems to have been for a long, long time) but it's pretty playable. It's basically a simulation game in which you're setting up a base on an alien planet.

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm looking for a sim space game. I've played the classics (X and TIE Fighter and sequels, Freespace, Dark Star One, etc...) I'm looking more towards the dogfighting side rather than the Elite/X series part (although I don't mind some ship upgrading/trading).

EVE Valkyrie looks promising as well. It isn't released yet, but keep an eye on it. The idea of it being linked to the EVE universe seems pretty cool too.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Rashomon posted:

What is the HOMM V Tribes of the East patch that keeps getting recommended in here? Where can I find it?

when I was looking for it a guy with a Jack Frost av linked me to a post by Dominic White in a steam thread that has since been archived. Google gave me this:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?611-The-HoMM5-Content-Combo-Pack-from-Good-to-Great-in-a-single-490MB-download

good luck

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fat Samurai posted:

My recommendation is Tachyon: The Fringe. Story driven, main character is Bruce Campbell, two separate story lines that branch early on. Good luck finding it for a decent price though

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I am a long time MMO/ARPG gamer. I haven't really touched consoles or single-player games since about 14 years ago. Ever since I got a computer and discovered internet gaming (AoE, Diablo 2, Starcraft, eventually FFXI, WoW, etc) I have been a multi-player guy. I have stuck to MMOs, ARPGs, and a smattering of MOBAs. I have never played any games from the following series: Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy (aside from 11 and 14), Zelda, Fallout, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, Witcher, GTA, Batman, Dark Souls...I mean the list goes on..you get the picture.

HOWEVER!

I am recently finding that as of late none of the stuff I normally play is keeping me interested. It's becoming rather repetitive. I am looking for a change of pace for once. So here I am considering trying out some games that I've missed out on! Small caveat..I don't want to play older games. Like, I'd prefer to stick with mid-late 2000's if possible, the later the better.

What I like:
Fantasy
RPG
Action
Adventure
Character customization
Character development
PVE

What I dont:
Sci-Fi (space/futuristic)
Robots
Space
FPS
Racing
Fighting
Sports
Dailies (*shudders*)
PVP

If a game is exceptional enough (not a bias opinion by you, but by the masses) I will consider it even if it's on the don't like list.

I am not looking for 50 games to try, just 1-2, maybe 3 titles to get my feet wet.

Where do I begin!?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fantasy - witcher 3 and skyrim
RPG - fallout new vegas
Action - bayonetta, gtav, bloodborne, vanquish
Adventure - Nier and dragons dogma
Character customization - dark souls 1 and 2
Character development - Witcher 3
PVE - helldivers, nuclear throne

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Obscurity posted:

Where do I begin!?

Pillars of Eternity. New RPG with good writing and interesting fantasy setting to explore.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Etalommi posted:

Pillars of Eternity. New RPG with good writing and interesting fantasy setting to explore.

I should have mentioned I'm the type of MMO player that skips all the cutscenes :X

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what do you mean by character development then? just upgrade trees?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Real hurthling! posted:

what do you mean by character development then? just upgrade trees?

yeah maybe I worded it wrong..specialization, improving skills, etc

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Obscurity posted:

I am a long time MMO/ARPG gamer. I haven't really touched consoles or single-player games since about 14 years ago. Ever since I got a computer and discovered internet gaming (AoE, Diablo 2, Starcraft, eventually FFXI, WoW, etc) I have been a multi-player guy. I have stuck to MMOs, ARPGs, and a smattering of MOBAs. I have never played any games from the following series: Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy (aside from 11 and 14), Zelda, Fallout, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, Witcher, GTA, Batman, Dark Souls...I mean the list goes on..you get the picture.

HOWEVER!

I am recently finding that as of late none of the stuff I normally play is keeping me interested. It's becoming rather repetitive. I am looking for a change of pace for once. So here I am considering trying out some games that I've missed out on! Small caveat..I don't want to play older games. Like, I'd prefer to stick with mid-late 2000's if possible, the later the better.

Given what you have said I would recommend Tomb Raider (2013), the Uncharted series, or the original Arkham Asylum if you haven't played them already. It sounds like you are losing patience for hacking away at a single game for 50+ hours and all of those games deliver a really tight story and good combat that easily moves you from one setpiece to the next without ever getting boring or lingering too long on the collectathon portion. The Witcher series, Fallout, Dragon Age etc. are all okay if you can get into them right away but if you're not 100% down from the get-go they're gonna be almost impossible to complete. You'll feel more accomplished with a game that you can actually beat in 10 hours than one you can put 100 into without ever really getting anywhere. Tomb Raider is almost always on sale for cheap too.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Obscurity posted:

Portal and Portal 2 are first person puzzle games everyone should play.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! I'll be sure to check a few of these out! :)

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Wanton Spoon posted:

Right now I'm looking into games that will keep my hands busy without having to really think about what's going on, and which have a focus on long-term completion and/or development.

The most obvious type of game like this is Diablo-likes. I like class systems where you have a lot of different options for developing characters with completely different playstyles from one another (even within the same class), and I like item systems where there's hundreds of different types of drops, but you can find ways to subtly game the system to gradually get the kinds of items you want (luck manipulation, combining items to get more of the same type, specific drops from specific enemies, etc.). Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, and Borderlands are all great with this, but I'm just wondering if there are more I should know about.

I'd also like something portable if it's available, and I don't really know too much about Diablo-likes on handheld consoles. Are there any especially noteworthy ones for 3DS or Vita, even if they don't fit my specifications exactly? I already know about Monster Hunter, but that's pretty much it. I'm also willing to hear suggestions for non-Diablo games that fit my specifications in other ways.

This is a late reply, but maybe you should check out Disgaea. I think there's some versions of it on DS.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Obscurity posted:

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! I'll be sure to check a few of these out! :)

I'm going to reiterate on Dark Souls and The Witcher in case you aren't caught up in a game already.

The Witcher 3: It's beautiful, and when I played it, it really felt like a single-player mmo with quests that were designed to be stimulating mentally instead of fetch quests.

Dark Souls: While the difficulty is a divisive subject, not only is it fun to change up your character, it has my favourite multi-player community. Also fun note, except for magic/miracles, you can pretty much change your style on the fly.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Divinity II could work too. Leveled areas keep things on the rails a bit but the story and combat's decent and it opens up after the first town area.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Can someone recommend a decent WWII multiplayer game that people are still playing, in the vein of Red Orchestra 2? I have been trying Heroes and Generals but the progression mechanics are a bit irritating.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Can someone recommend a decent WWII multiplayer game that people are still playing, in the vein of Red Orchestra 2? I have been trying Heroes and Generals but the progression mechanics are a bit irritating.

Try WW2 Online. Its more like Planetside but it is quite dated. I prefer it for flight and tanks. I also recommend Red Orchestra 1, as it's very different to 2. I think in some ways it is better, especially for tanks. If you want aerial or armoured combat War Thunder is the best pick. There's not that much choice for a modern infantry based WW2 game though unfortunately.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Try WW2 Online. Its more like Planetside but it is quite dated. I prefer it for flight and tanks. I also recommend Red Orchestra 1, as it's very different to 2. I think in some ways it is better, especially for tanks. If you want aerial or armoured combat War Thunder is the best pick. There's not that much choice for a modern infantry based WW2 game though unfortunately.

Yeah that's the issue, there are quite a few games but they are older so no one plays them.

Does WW2 Online still have a decent userbase?

And yeah I used to play RO1 some, it was certainly fun but most of the base migrated to the sequel. Although the RO1 base had an odd habit of treating tanks as one-man stationary turrets so I can't say that I am sad they changed them in RO2

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 23, 2015

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013
I really enjoy the grand strategy games from Paradox (EUIV, CK2, Victoria2). Are there any other developers out there that are making grand strategy games this in-depth and complex? I need something to hold me over until HOI4 comes out. Doesn't have to be WWII based.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So I'm looking for something pretty specific in a genre I don't know much about, my mother likes hidden object games and her birthday is coming up but I'm looking for expand her horizons a bit. I mean, hidden object games are basically crappy adventure games.

She likes horror and sci fi stuff, so any adventure games in those genres is a huge plus. Preferably they'd be well written and engrossing, good stories and poo poo. Also since she's new to this sort of thing it'd be awesome if they have a robust hint system. Anyone know if there's something that fits all those requirements?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Resonance, on steam, is a scifi mystery adventure game with a good story and fantastic help system (you switch between characters, there are always at least two wherever you go, and you can always ask them for ideas). There's one kinda-bullshit puzzlebox to solve in the middle of the game, but it can be brute-forced or walkthru'd if nothing else. It has a couple branching decisions too.

e: I doubt there's even a single adventure game without a bullshit puzzle somewhere in it

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 28, 2015

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Evilreaver posted:

Resonance, on steam, is a scifi mystery adventure game with a good story and fantastic help system (you switch between characters, there are always at least two wherever you go, and you can always ask them for ideas). There's one kinda-bullshit puzzlebox to solve in the middle of the game, but it can be brute-forced or walkthru'd if nothing else. It has a couple branching decisions too.

e: I doubt there's even a single adventure game without a bullshit puzzle somewhere in it

Yeah I know bullshit puzzles that make no sense are practically a requirement for adventure games, which is why I asked for something with a hint system. Even I have no patience for an adventure game without a hint system, which is probably I don't play many of them.

I checked out the game you mentioned and since it's all pixel art I dunno if she'd be into that, anything out there will really nice high res art? I remember digging the way that Tormentum: Dark Sorrow game looked. Something like that maybe.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

cat doter posted:

So I'm looking for something pretty specific in a genre I don't know much about, my mother likes hidden object games and her birthday is coming up but I'm looking for expand her horizons a bit. I mean, hidden object games are basically crappy adventure games.

She likes horror and sci fi stuff, so any adventure games in those genres is a huge plus. Preferably they'd be well written and engrossing, good stories and poo poo. Also since she's new to this sort of thing it'd be awesome if they have a robust hint system. Anyone know if there's something that fits all those requirements?

Maybe Life is Strange ? There's no explicit hint system though the protagonist verbalizes hints at convenient places. There's even a hidden object game in episode 2 :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

cat doter posted:

It might seem odd but what about the Nancy Drew series of games? They are actually not that bad.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

monster on a stick posted:

Maybe Life is Strange ? There's no explicit hint system though the protagonist verbalizes hints at convenient places. There's even a hidden object game in episode 2 :v:

Ooh, yea. LiS and Walking Dead Season One are both prime games for this genre.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Canemacar posted:

Perhaps Waking Mars?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

cat doter posted:

Yes they are. I recently played this one: http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/11179/rite-of-passage-the-lost-tides/?pc
It's always searching for parts to access something to get a new part to access something ("Resident Evil"-system), with puzzles or hidden object games thrown in between.
I have to say however, i played this in about 5 sessions while being really high and had a good time. There's a walkthrough on youtube if you want to have a look at it.

"The Room" got recommended to me here somewhere and I like to do that too. Definitely look it up! (!!!)
It's a really good game where you have to find things and many, many puzzles. Seriously, it's great. You wouldn't buy it just for your mother but for yourself ;)

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

cat doter posted:

The Room is pretty good as mentioned above.

J.U.L.I.A. Among The Stars would be my recommendation for the horror/sci fi adventure game angle though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Evilreaver posted:

The king's quest series are a good choice if you want to avoid bullshit puzzles

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Two Finger posted:

The king's quest series are a good choice if you want to avoid bullshit puzzles

You mean the new one? The old ones are one big bullshit puzzle.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Two Finger posted:

The king's quest series are a good choice to avoid if you don't want bullshit puzzles

Fixed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kings Quest 6 is a good one, the rest you should avoid if bullshit puzzles are an issue. The old Lucasarts game are a much better option (the puzzles can be just as ridiculous/obscure, but at least they don't arbitrarily kill you/make the game impossible to finish).

*edit*

Also this may probably provoke some criticism, but if she likes hidden object games it might be worth showing her the original Myst games. They're very similar in style and the puzzles can actually be fairly interesting since they're all environmentally based rather than hunting through your inventory to find the magic combination of items that lets you proceed.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 29, 2015

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I don't think my mom ever finished Riven, there was no getting past that reactor puzzle. You know the one, with the tiny colored balls.
This was still at a time when we didn't really have internet and the problem is easily fixed by gamefaqs and co. today. But having to point her to a solution on the internet is probably missing the mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

I don't think my mom ever finished Riven, there was no getting past that reactor puzzle. You know the one, with the tiny colored balls.
This was still at a time when we didn't really have internet and the problem is easily fixed by gamefaqs and co. today. But having to point her to a solution on the internet is probably missing the mark.

I got stuck on that one for ages too because I never considered that you didn't have to use all the balls.